Friendship that turn into love

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image49
    TheFrenchTravelerposted 14 years ago

the age ole question answered can men and women be friends, non sexual bff's? Is it possible or will some emotional attachment and love grow?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Friendship that turn into love. Does it happen? Sure. How often? Who knows.

Can Men and Women be friends without sexual contact? Yes.

There are reasons for why men and women don't have sexual contact and that is simply because there is no sexual attraction. There might even be something trivial about them that simply turns you off, but doesn't affect your friendship.

So, I leave you with that.

1. profile image57
        Arisha Jonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well its complicated to know sometimes its there and sometimes its not. but the potential is always there. ....
        I guess love is more about chemistry....if two people feel that they would like to explore something beyond friendship then of course why not give it a chance.....

2. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope. You're both going to think about how sex would be together, and sooner or later you're going to try and find out.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nope, not too close, not if they're both single.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I think it's possible, for sure. I have male friends, non sexual.

although anything is possible.

3. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

Isn't friends first the way its supposed to be?

1. Justine T profile image58
      Justine Tposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thik so i mwan how can you love someone that cant be a friend to you i would think your lover is sopost to be the best friend that you have

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I dont really know, case to case maybe, but once friendship turns into love, there is some change in dealings with each other too

5. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

two people can sometimes be like magnets  that just attract.
    What if friends turn into lovers,
    I suppose it could be sooooooooo complicated.
    it happens, sure it happens

6. sagbee profile image57
    sagbeeposted 14 years ago

Definately.. they can be friends but this mutual friendship can eventually turns into love.. this is true.. they can never be just friends.. this love factor pops up in between..

7. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 14 years ago

If you are pretty, you have no male friends, your male friends are hoping they'll get a chance with you some day...maybe not today, but some day.

8. gramon1 profile image60
    gramon1posted 13 years ago

Men and women can be friends, with sex, without sex, with sex and desire, without sex but with desired, and in any combination you can think of. I have friends with whom I have had sex, with whom I haven't, with whom I would, and with whom I wouldn't.
    Contrary to popular belief, this has nothing to do with whether the girl is beautiful or not. After all, there are millions of beautiful women in the world, and I would not move a finger to have sex with almost all of them. It has to do with how the relationship evolves and with whether the magic moment happens between us.
    In my personal experience, the same moment can be so different with different people, and even with the same girl, at different points of her ovulation. Some times, you just get close to talk in her ear and nothing happens. But other times, as you get close, there is a magnetic pull that just makes you feel like giving in to such increadible desired. Hormones, especially feromonesp lay such an important role here!

9. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 13 years ago

its possible if both people aren't physically attracted to one another.  If there is an attraction between both people... they'll most likely eventually (maybe intoxicated) end up in bed together.  I'm speaking from experience.

1. gramon1 profile image60
      gramon1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, if it happens, you just enjoy it. After all, it is much better to have sex with a person that cares for you than with a person that is only attracted to you. Further, if you are really friends, then you can deal with it easily.

10. Courtney_CollinsD profile image60
    Courtney_CollinsDposted 13 years ago

It's completely possible. My best friend is a male and the only thing I ever think about is how much I just want to beat him up for being stupid sometimes. He's more of a brother to me then anything and my other best friend is also a male and like a sister to me... long story.

Anyways, yes, it's completely possible to have man and woman friendships that don't turn romantic.

11. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 13 years ago

It's definitely possible for women to have male friends, and vice versa, that never turn sexual. Most of my friends are male, and many have been very good friends since high school and beyond. Have they ever thought about having sex with me? Probably, who knows? Have I ever thought about having sex with them? A couple of them, but certainly far from the majority, and most of them are quite attractive. Of about a half-dozen very close male friends, there is only one that I know would want to be more if he had the chance...though he knows he doesn't have the chance, and has instead opted to support me in any way he can for the last eight years. Four I know are definitely not interested in anything more, one of whom is married and only one is suspected of being gay...he suspects it too.

Now looking at the people I DID have sex with...one was a lover first, became a friend later...and that's when I realized that we didn't have much in common and conversations were pretty darn boring. He was also undoubtedly the most unattractive of the bunch. By time I realized all this, we were already married and had a kid. The other was a very good friend first...but almost 30 years older than me, neither of us saw anything happening there. In that case friendship did turn into love, sex followed, as did marriage, and now a baby on the way.

So in one case friendship did turn into love, and we didn't remain just friends...but through all the rest of my friendships nothing even remotely sexual has occurred, and they have been some of my best friends for most of my life. Though I've never been able to see much positive about myself or my looks, I have gotten a lot of compliments from others, and have been called a "trophy wife" a few times, so I don't think it's due to really unfortunate looks that spontaneous sex with all my male friends hasn't happened.

12. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

I think something like this can be generally answered.  Yes I would say that most people will tend to gravitate towards a relationship.  A lot of it is based purely on sex.  One of the individuals will want to have sex.  Even if sex doesn't happen, this can often keep a true friendship from forming.  So men and women are two totally different creatures right? 

We are not developed far enough to get beyond our sexist thought patterns.  Right?  I do believe that most  (not everybody)of us separate ourselves into men and women each with distinct traits.  While there are experiences as well as physical differences between men and women, I don't believe that we are as different as we make ourselves out to be.

However, the majority of us behave just like we predict.  A friendship between a male and a female will often have at least one thinking that they need to have sex or create a relationship.  So for most the answer is no they cant just be friends.

Now, take a look at the medium we are participating in right now and you will notice that most of us are androgynous here.  Most of us are not looking to have sex or create a relationship on this forum.  We are just here to discuss. 

With this said, I think most can't be just friends.  For the few who can recognize people as individuals as opposed to a just gender, they can be friends.  It is possible because we do it on Hubpages.  I hope I didn't open too big a can of worms but I suspect I did.  big_smile

13. TREX80 profile image59
    TREX80posted 13 years ago

So I have a question, if you are friend with guys do they think about sex with you?
    I was dating this guy and he kept insisting that "any guy that isn't in a relationship that is friends with you, think about and would sleep with you".
    When I replied "Nah."
    He said, "yup, all guys do and would too".

TRUE?

1. islandgirl06 profile image59
      islandgirl06posted 13 years agoin reply to this

sweetie I do agree,even if your friend is a married man

14. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I think both sexes who have friends of the opposite sex do think about what a sexual relationship would be like.  But it's not necessarily a goal, it's kind of like wondering what it would be like to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, you wonder what it's like but you don't necessarily do it.

15. Sunny_S profile image61
    Sunny_Sposted 13 years ago

I think this is completely true as my current girlfriend was my friend at first and then things just started to fit together i guess.

16. islandgirl06 profile image59
    islandgirl06posted 13 years ago

Man and woman can be friends, sometimes good friends but the question is can they be friends if both of them are married to different people? I knew a few people who are friends, unfortunately the married man become emotionally involved with his female friend, and that becomes affair.
      It also happened to me, the man I married met a married woman on dating site, they become friends and I think you all know what happen next. So man and woman can be friends only if they are single and always with the group of their friends..

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe it is possible,  I have had many male friends who have remained so till this day,  No problems on that score.  They might become more than that, if both people involved decide to do so . Drawing the lines clearer and making sure the relationship is well within the boundaries help maintain healthy friendships!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)