jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Is it OK to make a child friendly date with someone you met on the internet?

1. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 4 years ago

Is it OK to make a child friendly date with someone you met on the internet?

A single parent meets another single parent on an online dating site. Is it appropriate to organise meeting with your kids with you on a child friendly date. ie: Meet up with your kids at the park?  Or should you save involving children in your dating life to later...

2. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 4 years ago

i believe you should wait until you get to know the person and you know what kind of influence they are on you and your children. Safety comes first.

stricktlydatingposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your opinion HattieMattieMae smile

3. BuffaloGal1960 profile image73
    BuffaloGal1960posted 4 years ago

I wouldn't recommend it.

But let me ask you a question.....

Have you checked them out on Casenet?  Or does your state have that?  Have you ran them through the sex offender's list?  How long have you been talking to them? Do they offer lots of photos on say...Facebook and invited you there?  Or is their profile vague? 

I wouldn't introduce them until much later.  I would definitely like to look into the persons eyes before I would introduce them to my child as a date.  I'd be interviewing them for sure. Like a grilling reporter! lol.

No sleepovers until you've known someone a YEAR at least! 

My 2 cents.

stricktlydatingposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks BuffaloGal!  I'm in Australia I haven't heard of Casenet or an offenders list like that here, but I certainly get what you mean. Thanks for your 2 cents smile

2. BuffaloGal1960 profile image73
      BuffaloGal1960posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize.  It would definitely be interesting to know your countries checkpoints.

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

When I was a dating single mom, my son was never allowed around new people for 6 months. I did not want a lot of random strangers (men or women with his dad) in and out of his life.  His father did not always keep that agreement and all of his relationships have ended badly.  The last GF was "so sweet" - until she turned on him 4 months in and started stalking him, my son, and me. So no, in no circumstance would I bring children on a first date ever for any reason.  You do not know that person no matter how much you have talked to them.

My current partner and I met online and he is amazing, but he also respected the whole 6 months thing and thought it was a fantastic idea - one way I knew I had a keeper smile

5. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

The adults involved need to have the first few meetings without the children.
    Only if they decide that the relationship is going to be pursued should children be brought in.
    Not just because of possible safety issues but also because children tend to make emotional bonds much faster and it will be harder on them if the relationship fails and their new friends are suddenly pulled away.

6. DDE profile image23
    DDEposted 4 years ago

It depends on how old the child is, and if they can trust each other the parent as well especially with trust

working