Does everyone deserve to be loved for who they are, flaws & all?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (40 posts)
  1. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

I have been told a time or two, You are a difficult to love....
    Has anyone else been told this by a spouse-parent-friend etc?
    I have wondered for a considerable amount of time-what makes someone hard to love? Is it a particular personality trait?
    Does everyone deserve to be happy and experience being loved for who they are...good, bad, beauty and flaws? Or does love come with demands that result in a person giving up what they are passionate about in order to maintain love, peace and happiness within a relationship?

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats like asking what is the meaning of life and everything!

No actually, you cant control your environment and those around you but you can yourself.  If you learn to love yourself and value yourself, everything else will fall into place.

One certain thing is... dont have expectations of others, you will set yourself up for hurt and failure.  Just take people for who they are and they will do the same with you.  You will no longer be hard to love x

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very wise response smile

2. BBCG profile image59
        BBCGposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, this one is easy....The answer is 42...

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
          Peter Hogganposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would only be true if the world was controlled by mice not men... ok 42 it is then!

2. profile image0

another hitch hikers guide fan eh?  hehehe...

The babel fish tells me not to read the poetry on here! lol only joking!

3. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. Yet this is one of the hardest things to learn in this life, if not The Hardest. smile

1. profile image0

Yes, it is all about knowing that you are an o.k. person - self actualisation.  x

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

shaz has said it perfectly. love yourself first, flaws and all.

5. lilidauphin profile image59
        lilidauphinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very good.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey H.C.Porter, people who try to make people conform to their liking is selfish.

Does everyone deserve to be loved for who they are, flaws & all?

YES! They should be loved for who they are and not for any other reason. If the whole package isn't loveable, then the love itself isn't of value and won't bring happiness.

For someone who is struggling with who they are(not you) can be very difficult to understand. There isn't any unselfish reason for trying to control another person or make them bend.

I am of the understanding that love is an equal two-way street and there is give and take on both sides, but your passion for life shouldn't be muffled, because others want things their own way.

I hope I helped. smile

H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As always, that was a great response- exactly the point of view statement I was looking for.
        I guess I should of clarified to everyone I wasnt asking if 'I' am difficult to love...I already know the answer to that...LOL...
        I am a handful and will challenge anyone willing to try...lol.
        Just kidding, I am blessed and surrounded by love  smile
        Thank you for responding, I do, greatly appreciate your answer  big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whenever you need anything and I can help, feel free to contact me. smile tongue big_smile lol cool wink

You're welcome. smile

3. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
      Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was for me a sign that love is true..
      Loved just for what you are.
      Being loved will make you grow,
      sometimes it will change you
      but not because someone wants the change or worse demands it
      you just grow in the love that increases every day because you are you...cool

4. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You very well could be difficult to love.
      Personally, I look for women who love me because of my good points and love me despite my bad ones.
      You can f8ck all sorts of people but loving and living with someone is a whole 'nother challenge!

1. Mamelody profile image60
        Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just love your avatar dude! look like a young clint eastwood smile

5. profile image57
      Life as I see Itposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have been told I am difficult to love also. I embrace that! Good my love is amazing and it should be difficult to love me because once you do you will never stop!! That's how I feel. Be yourself... Love yourself.  We all have flaws that make things hard for others but don't change yourself in hopes to find love because you don't want that love than. Real love is just what it means real.

6. Mamelody profile image60
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that was very mean for that person who said that to you. Love is a difficult thing to do but everyone deserves it at some point in life.

7. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i actually went to a psychic with my boyfriend and she told him it didn't matter who he chose to be with (or who chose to be with him) he would "be happy"
      but
      no matter who i wound up with i would be unhappy because i'm incapable of loving and being loved. :*(  i think she may have even said i have a dark entity preventing healing??? i don't know, i do know she was so generous to offer "healing" me for $250. 

too bad i didn't have the money.
      i'm still awfully unlovable.

and yet my boyfriend still loves me.
      maybe she was right. LOL 

anyways, she could have said this to anyone and probably been right. most people have flaws big enough for someone to find completely revolting. of course those same flaws are palatable enough for others to look past them and see the beautiful, redeeming qualities (everyone has those as well)

i think while many relationships can be worked through if both people wish to i also think that sometimes two people just aren't meant for each other and neither person should feel bad or make the other one feel bad by blaming them (you) for something that is nobody's fault.

people loved charles manson.
      people loved adolf hitler.

people most certainly love you. i see a lot of caring going on here in this very thread.

so whomever told you these things was probably just trying to distract themselves from feeling that way about themselves.

8. Madison22 profile image60
      Madison22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they should be loved for who they are.  Unless of course their flaws and behaviors hurt others physically and emotionally.  In my opinion love should not come with such demands that would make one give up what they are passionate about. I have been told once or twice that I am difficult to love by my husband when I have been moody but, by no means does that mean that he does not love me or has stopped. And gosh, I've told him a thing or two. But at the end of the night or the next day lol, I love him for exactly who he is.

9. profile image0
      ashelladyhawkeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I too feel this way. I wonder why--what have I done in this life to deserve such treatment. Was I too nice, did I do care too much, what? There are no answers--just questions.

2. marcel285 profile image66
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

H.C Porter, do you find love tough yourself??

3. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Yes, everyone deserves to be loved. But that doesn't mean it's easy to do.

H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what do you mean?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I mean I live with a man, and since we're both human I assume we're both flawed...and we do NOT have an easy time living with one another lol I was actually reacting in more of a personal than universal way...since we had a big argument today.

4. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Depends on what the flaw is.

5. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

I have never set standards for another person- for the very reason that, when you set those expectations-you are ultimately setting that person up to fail and in your eyes-they will never be 'good enough'(and of no fault of their own).

Do I find love hard? Hmmmm? No-not really. It has taken time for me to accept myself for who I am- and be okay with who I am (flaws included). Nor do I feel as if I am overly critical of others and their personality traits which I may not be fond of. If anything, I love and trust with out giving enough hesitation...

This post wasn't really about me per-say, I was just thinking about it and wanted to know other peoples stance on the issue.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Um. Of course roll

7. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

aaww.  big_smile

8. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

In some-body’s heart,
    You blossom so fair,
    There is some-one to love you,
    Somewhere out there.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So true!

9. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Life is not fair. There are some people that are very hard to even get along with, let alone love. If your a down type of person, always seeing everything in a negative way, your going to have a hell of a time finding anyone to love you!

Also, nobody "deserves" anything. Like I said, life is not fair. If you happen to meet the person that clicks with you and you both are happy, great.

But that does not mean anyone "deserves" what they get, good or bad. It just,,,,, is.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree with this.  smile

10. dave272727 profile image61
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

I believe that everyone has there someone.  I don't believe they always find them.  Timing, distance, language, any of these could be obstacles that are too big to be overcome by just love.  To answer your question, everyone deserves to have that feeling.  To be in a relationship that allows them to be who they are.  Not what the other person wants them to be.

11. Tadeusz598 profile image74
    Tadeusz598posted 14 years ago

No. Some people are scum, and better avoided.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree!

12. yenajeon profile image69
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

I've been told this as well. I think its because I have this mentality of expecting so much from everyone. (I'm a Virgo) and on top of that I am very stubborn and like things my way. Its possible for someone to truly love you as you are, but to acknowledge that these traits can drive them crazy!

13. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

Love is hard, but it should be unconditional ..

if we all loved a bit more , just think of how much less hate we would have to deal with..

I know, in a perfect world, and it will never happen..but it is a good thought smile

14. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 14 years ago

Yes everybody does.

15. Woman Of Courage profile image59
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

Yes everyone deserves to be loved, because every single person has flaws.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)