Is it alright in a marriage for one spouse to let themselves go?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (30 posts)
  1. dawnM profile image58
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

when you get married isn't it a moral obligation to your spouse to at least try to take care of yourself: dress, diet, exercise, making an effort to look good?

1. thooghun profile image93
      thooghunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a moral obligation, but I agree that if you have no self-respect how could you possibly be prepared to love another fully?

I'll go an extra length to do all of the above for my partner, but unless you do them for yourself too, and believe in what are you doing, it won't get you very far.

2. flounderingsahm profile image39
      flounderingsahmposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the issue comes into play when one 'partner' is the only one taking care of the rest of the family.  There is no time for that person to take care of themselves.

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It isn't a moral obligation but a person should look good for their spouse. Just because someone gets married is not a certificate that says " hey it is o.k. to let yourself go." smile

It is called respect, let him know how you feel and maybe start walking with him get into a routine together. smile

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't see it as a moral obligation. individuals should want to stay healthy first and foremost for themselves. when partners start letting themselves go, it could be more of a signal that something is missing from the relationship. have you talked with him about how you feel?

5. LindaSusan profile image60
      LindaSusanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think moral obligation is kind of strong. But I do believe it's good for the relationship when both strive to be their best at whatever age. Unfortunately things sometimes happen beyond our control. It's the person of morality, ethics, and substance that will stand by their spouse.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

well you should really be doing it for yourself first...always..

and not because someone wants you to or tells you to...I'm only obligated to me...

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Judging buy your questions, you seem to be quite unhappy...

4. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

who says the 'one spouse' let themselves go?  maybe they had no control over it.  why would I do something for a spouse that I wouldn't do for myself?  I mean...wouldn't it be more important for me to take care of myself for me than for my spouse?  huh, it makes me wonder if maybe this wasn't the spouse's idea in the first place....

nope, never mind.  I'm having a rough week and trying to sort through it.

5. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

It not only should be done out of respect for your spouse, but for self-respect as well.  When one allows themself to become run-down & let there personal appearance & hygeine go, it certainly would feed the fire for lack of self-worth, wouldn't you say?

6. dawnM profile image58
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

good information, I stated the question because I work take care of my kids and cook and take care of myself.  My husband on the other hand has managed to gain 50 pounds since we have been married and he didn't have the children.  So isn't it a moral obligation in a marriage to be healty for your spouse because in the end if they get sick from not taking care of themselves then the other spouse is left to take care of them.

7. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

First and foremost, the reason for being physically, mentally and emotionally fit should always be for yourself for the good of your own health.  If the other is not motivated, then there is not much you can do other than nag or change the lifestyle at home.  Ultimately, the other spouse is responsible for him/herself.

8. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

yes.. it is the woman's obligation

As a man, I was smart enough to let myself go years before i got married, so I wouldn't have to face this issue

9. dawnM profile image58
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

very funny Greek One, but there is something to be said for that.  If you marry someone who does not care about their health than you chose them that way and you have no right to ask them to change.  This is not true of the other way around but Beth correct too, it is impossible to change someone else and as for me I will continue to get up in the mornings and run because at least one of us has to be there for the kids when they get older!!!

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the beauty of youth will fade...

before I got married I assumed my wife could very well turn hideous eventually, and I asked myself would i still love her?

The answer was yes, so I put a ring on her finger

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beauty is more than physical appearance.  Youth is an attitude and a mindset.  You can be 18 and be as old 89 if you believe you are old.  On the other hand, I have met many 80 year olds who are alive inside and feel like they are in their 20s.

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

exactly... ones physical beauty can fade or be 'let go', but they can still be beautiful.

If you marry for the physical aspect, you will most likely be disappointed eventually

2. LindaSusan profile image60
        LindaSusanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great for you Geek! A man of substance, in a world with so many sleaze bags. Lucky lady you're married to.

2. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not only for that reason but also because as adults, we much teach our children through example.  What they see is what they will emulate.  If  you're looking after yourself physically, mentally and emotionally, they will learn that it is necessary elements for a full and peaceful life.  Teach by example and honestly, the apply doesn't fall far from the tree.

10. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Yes, exactly Greek One.  Your wife is one lucky lady!

11. dawnM profile image58
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

the beauty is not the issue per say, when you marry a person who hold the same value of physical health and fitness with you and then abondons that it changes the dyamics of the marriage.  Alomst like you bth being the same religion and then changing it through the marriage, if that makes sense?

12. glenn wallace profile image71
    glenn wallaceposted 13 years ago

Like a lot of previous answers mentioned, it's not always a choice to 'let yourself go.'
    Having a baby comes to mind as a natural occurrence in many relationships that can dramatically change a woman's body.
    And of course, once you're caring for a child, it's not always easy to get to the gym.
    Disease also comes to mind.

As for just letting your looks go because you've landed a mate and don't feel you have to care anymore ... that would only be OK as long as your significant other didn't mind as well. Otherwise it's just taking their feelings for granted.

13. dawnM profile image58
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

I alway get inspired when I go out for a run in the morning and I see a mom with kids on a bike riding while she is running or I see her pushing that stroller while she is running.  I think that those mom's are amazing.

14. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I let myself go and man, it was so much easier than the alternative.  All that exercise and watching calories was a real chore.  Easier to just shove as much food and booze into my hole from the comfort of my Lay-Z-Boy than work out, AND more fun.

My wife tried to escape, but I caught her and chained her to the floor. From then on, we were inseperable. So, it can work.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/megdays/Star%20Wars/Star-Wars-Jabba-the-Hutt_l.jpgMy wife and I, going strong for years.

15. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

...yup...what's the question?  we get along just fine...and switch roles of responsibility every now and then...you know he handles responsibility for the bills...and i go shopping...he does the dishes and cooks....me, I'm on HP....stuff like that...

and we have lots of 'sweet nothings' to say to each other everyday...i think that's the trick for us anyway....and we both like pink!

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/112009/1258118089_paris_hilton_dog.gif

16. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Go ahead, let yourself go!  You can always find another mate, maybe the next one will be 10 years younger, own several houses, and his own business and will want you as his trophy wife!  If you are beginning to look like your overweight, hirsute mother, that's ok - there's probably someone out there who likes that look and will take care of you for the rest of your life when you can no longer budge from your chair.  Hopefully he'll be a good cook and have great abs!

17. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
  18. camlo profile image86
    camloposted 13 years ago

One thing I know is that if you look good, you feel good. I know we're all different, but I don't understand why everyone doesn't do themselves this favour.
    You should, first and foremost, be doing it for yourself, and not your spouse.

1. dawnM profile image58
      dawnMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I could not agree more and who said that I was talking about me to begin with......lol

19. zthao89 profile image57
    zthao89posted 13 years ago

Yeah, I don't feel obligated, per say, but I do feel it would help out. But at the same time, when you're trying to upkeep yourself and your spouse is just putting you down, (Why you dressed up for? You can never lose weight?)why care anymore. Take care of yourself so that one day if the relationship doesn't work you can be single & ready to mingle!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)