How do women/men feel if the woman in a relationship makes more money?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. ahostagesituation profile image80
    ahostagesituationposted 12 years ago

Sometimes I think we've hit a plateau with gender roles we may not get past in this regard in society.  What do you think? I grew up in a "man as head of the household" family structure, but I don't think money had much to do with that.   Money is paper...does it really matter who makes more?

1. your cybersister profile image60
      your cybersisterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When my husband and I first got together, I was the one making the larger salary,  I paid for more than half of everything and it didn't bother me to do so.  I think he felt a little odd about it at first, but it was never a big issue between us.  As time went by, I started backing down the management ladder (due to the toll stress was taking on me) while he started climbing up it.  Being in charge doesn't stress him out like it did me.  Now he makes more than triple what I do and pays for nearly everything.  I think that he is proud that he is totally self-sufficient, but wouldn't mind it if I were able to contribute a little more than I can.  As long as there is enough money for everything we need, and some of what we want ,it isn't a big deal who is making it.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It only matters to those who have ego problems. Otherwise, it should not make a difference. People walk a different path. What motivates one, doesn't always motivate another.

The relationship should be able to survive regardless. wink

ahostagesituationposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Strong point about being motivated by different things.   I know for sure that my ambition drives stem, in part, from the fear of marrying a guy who might become an abusive a-hole.   It was always important to me to be able to afford to leave if I had to.  My day job completely messes with my mind ;-).

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

It matters a lot to me!  If she would just double her salary, I could stay home and play on the forums all day. lol

4. jponiato profile image87
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

I keep hoping my wife (a real estate agent) will start pulling in the big bucks so I can retire.  Oh what joy that will be when that happens.  She's good - sooner or later that will pay off.

5. ahostagesituation profile image80
    ahostagesituationposted 12 years ago

I think I might just love you guys, and laughing out loud at Wilderness.  Great replies!

6. kirsteno profile image61
    kirstenoposted 12 years ago

I'm not a guy, but I used to make almost twice what my husband made.  He never had a problem with it.  He was relieved that neither of us had to work overtime anymore.  And then I stayed home and had a baby, and I think he *still* wishes I made more than him!

7. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

The way I am with money, I should probably marry an accountant.

8. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

I'd be proud..

Refreshing outlook.

9. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

I was in this position, and I was very proud of my Wife. She worked hard gained her promotions and was worth every penny of it. She proved Herself.

I looked on it as a stement of acceptance in her company for Her. I though and still do think that she is good at what she does, smart and a hard worker. Never though of it any other way actualy.

10. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

Want to have fun. Try having a household where nobody is earning anything. Both people are unemployed. (Like at my home.)Yet, both of you had good jobs, but, just no longer have them.

Watch out for the blame game. It will begin shortly.

I hope things look up for you both.  It's the worst to be able and willing to work, and not having a position--not to mention nerve-wrecking.    Your relationship is the priority now though.  Tough times are way tougher without the one you love on your side.

11. Moms-Secret profile image77
    Moms-Secretposted 12 years ago

When we met I earned a lot less, then I made a lot more, and now I don't work at the job anymore.  My husband liked me making more but we still have not adjusted to his new role as sole provider.  By the time we do, I may (GOD WILLING) be taking off with my own business.  I have my issues with gender roles and I come from a long line of women who are too independent for their own good.

My ideal is a 50/50 partnership.  There is no room for ego there.

That's really interesting.  I like that 50/50 idea, but I think it's pretty much impossible.  LIfe  is usually way too unpredictable to have and maintain that.

12. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...if i was the man - 'wow...aren't i lucky?...now what can i do to make things more comfortable at home?..ooooh the weekends must be for fun if she isn't working - how can i make it fun for us?'

...as the woman - 'wow...i sure do work hard...but hubbie is smilin'and he works hard too and knows how to allow me 'down time', dinner is on the table, my clothes are cleaned, house looks good, it's all good!...and yeehaw - let's take off somewhere nice for a break'

13. 4tune profile image59
    4tuneposted 12 years ago

I wish I had a LOT of money and power.. Just like the thought anymore.. Not looking for no guy to support me either maybe that has a lot to do with it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)