- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
The Names of God Describe Who He Is
Is A Name Really Just a Name?
Does your name describe you? Do you have a common name or do you have one of those names that was invented by your well meaning mother? You know, a name that is a combination of the name of the street your daddy grew up on and the name of his favorite football team.
Theoretically your name is supposed to describe your character. In this age of wonderful technology, we find however that many of us don't have a clue as to the meaning of our name or, even if our name means anything at all. Of course, it is not technology's fault. We are just a generation of people who never thought twice about why we were named what we were named. Or whether our name would impact our destiny.
Does Your Name Mean Anything?
All is not lost if your name doesn't mean anything. In fact it is an opportunity for you to assign your own meaning to your name. Henry Ford never knew that his name would come to mean "car". Google probably never thought their name would be added to the dictionary and listed as both a noun, and a verb. "Check out Google ."(noun) "Have you googled it ?"(verb) Just like Ford and Google, your name will come to mean "what you do ".
It seems that mothers and fathers name us with the hope that one day we will become the definition or those names, (that is with the exception of Mrs. Pigg who named her daughter Ima.- how tragic). Until we live up to , or live down to what are name says we are, it is the neighborhood children who call us what they see us to be in the now.
They call a spade a spade, so Robert becomes "Stinky" because he refuses to bathe regularly. Michael became "Dentford" because his odd shaped head looks like it has dents in it, and, finally there is "Cousin E", so called because no one can correctly pronouce her first name,(Ethelrica).
Names of God
God is God
The word "god" is a title. It is used of many things and many persons. However in Hebrew the true God of Israel is distinguished in spelling and by descriptive terms. The attributes of God are identified by His names. Each description is a characteristic of the character and nature of God. Within each name is a promise to those who believe of His behavior and perspective toward His covenant people.
The name "Jehovah" occurs 6,823 times in the Word of God. The name Jehovah means "to be, to exist, to become or to become known". It is the "personal Name of Adonai, (Lord) the transcendent Source and Ground of all being whatsoever." [Hebrew4christians.com]
Still other names of God are preceded by the Hebrew word "El" which comes from a root word meaning "might, strength, power", it is a general term for "god" and "God". When referencing the true God of Israel it is always used with another term to as a qualifier. [Hebrews4christians.com]
The Short List
By no means is this an exhaustive list of the characteristics of God. But, it is a good start...
- Shem Hameforash
"The sacred Name for God was spoken only 10 times once per year (during Yom Kippur) by the Kohen Gadol. When the people heard the Name, they prostrated themselves in deep reverence (Yoma 39b)."
- Ehyeh asher Ehyeh - I AM that I AM - The self-existing one, The God that exists independantly of anyone or anything that is or has been created. (Exodus 3:14)
- Adonai - Our Lord, Our Master (Gen 15:2, Exodus 20:7)
This name describes who God is to us and how we should approach Him.
- Adoni Avinu -The LORD our Father (Isa. 64:8)
This name refers to the parental nature of God. A loving Father to his children.
- Adonai Elohai -The LORD my God (Psalm 13:3)
This name personalizes God to the speaker. It bespeaks a of a personal relationship.
- Adonai Eloheikhem - "The LORD your [pl.] God" (Lev. 19:3)
This name tells us that God is God of the universe. He is Lord over all even those who do not acknowledge His position or existence. He is still The Lord your God
- Adonai Osenu - The LORD our Maker (Ps. 95:6)
This name reminds us that we are created beings. We have a beginning and an end.
- Adonai Sal'i - The LORD my Rock (or Hiding Place, as in the crag of a cliff) (Psalm 18:2).
This name shows that there is safety in God. He will is a place that hides you from the onslaught of the enemy.
- Adonai Tseva'ot. - The LORD of armies (or hosts)
This name reminds us tht the battle is the Lords; that He will fight with us and for us.
- Adonai Tsuri v'goali - "The LORD my Rock and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14[5h]
This name brings confidence and security. The Lord steadies our stand and redeems us from all evil.
- Elohim - Our Lord, Our Creator (Genesis 1:1, Genesis 1:26)
This name describes Gods greatness and glory and His creative and governing power. He will create for us whatever is needed to fill any lack in our lives.
- El Echad - The One God (Mal. 2:10) Echad means one and hearkens to the Shema.
This name reinforces that the Lord our God is one God and that He hearkens when called upon.
- El De'ot - The God of Knowledge (1 Sam. 2:3).
This name reveals that God has perfect knowledge of all things, from beginning to end he is all-knowing at all times.
- El Elyon - Our Lord Most High (Genesis 14:18-22, Psalm 57:2)
This name expresses the absolute sovereignty of God. He is the dispenser of blessings and inheritance to us.
- El Emet - The God of Truth (Ps. 31:5) Emet means firmness, faithfulness, reliableness.
This is the name that allows us to trust in the Word of the Lord. His Word will not fail, nor return void.
- El Erekh Apayim avi ha-tanchumim -The God of all patience and consolation (Rom. 15:5, Isa 57:18)
This name reveals the nature of God, that He is patient and long-suffering. He is not harsh but comforts and consoles us in our time of need.
- El Hanne'eman - The Faithful God (Deut. 7:9) From aman, to support, nourish.
This name describes the loving attribute of God which brings us security. He will always support us and He will feed us, nourishing us in His Word and His way.
- El Olam - God Everlasting; The Everlasting God; (Gen. 21:33, Ps. 90:1-3, 93:2; Isa. 26:4).
Olam means world, universe, everlasting time or space.
- El Rachum - The God of Compassion; Compassionate God (Deut. 4:31).
This name reveals the heart of God. He carries us like like a woman carries a baby in her womb.
- El Shaddai -The Lord God Almighty (Genesis 17:1John, Genesis 28;3)
This name describes God as our Lord who nourishes, supplies and satisfies. He is our abundance and is all-bountiful toward us.
- Jehovah Jireh- The Lord Who Sees and Provides (Philippians 4:19)
This name tells us that God sees every thing that we will need before we need it and that He has already made provision to abundantly meet our need.
- Jehovah - Adoni, Adonai, LORD, GOD
The personal name of God. Seen in scriptures as the Lord God.
- Jehovah Mekoddishkem- The Lord Who Sanctifies You (1 Thes. 5:23, John 17:17)This name describes God as the one who seperates us for service unto Him.
- Jehovah Nissi - The Lord Our Banner (Exodus 17:8-16)
This name pledges His presence and power manifested unto us. This name is the pledge and sign of victory in all things.
- Jehovah Rapha- The Lord that Healeth Thee (Ex 15:25-26, Psalm 34:6)
This name describes God as the one who heals every aspect of our lives. He is working out all things that concern us.
- Jehovah Rohi - The Lord Our Shepherd (Psalm 23, Ezekiel 34:11-15)
This name shows the Lord as our leader, our ruler, our general, our visionary, and the captain of our salvation.
- Jehovah Sabaoth - the Lord of Hosts, of Armies (2nd Chronicles 20:30, Ex.14:13-14)This name describes God as the one who decides the winner of every battle, every war and every conflict.
- Jehovah Shalom - The Lord Our Peace (Judges 6:21-23, John 14:17-18)
This name gives us the confident anticipation of deliverance, victory and peace.
- Jehovah Shammah - The Lord Who is Always Present With Us (Psalm 16:11, Matthew 28:20) His presence is fullness of joy, peace, security, glory and all blessing.
- Jehovah Tsidkenu - The Lord Who is Our Righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6, 33:16). This name describes God as morally correct, blameless, and without sin.Jesus became righteousness for us.
Getting to Know Him as He Is
If we take each one of His names and mull over them; think about what the name means in our life, our lives would change. We serve a true and living God and our relationship with Him should be alive. Meditating and spending time in prayer about the meaning of His names will increase our knowledge of God.
I know my earthly father and mother as parents and providers. During the formative years of my life, this is what they did; parented and provided. As I grew older, I began to learn of them as counselors and advisers. I had not known them as such in my early years.
Still later in life, after my coming into marriage and becoming a parent, I began to know them as friend. The more I learned of my parents, the more attributes of them I came to know. The more attributes I came to know, the more I was able to trust them and their wisdom.
It is the same with our heavenly Father. The more we know about Him, the more we trust Him. The more we trust Him, the greater our peace, joy, faith and obedience.
Get to know your Father. Learn to trust Him based on who His names say that He is.
- Nine Types of Prayer
Prayer is the most important activity in a Christians life. The Bible shows us nine different types of prayers and the rules that govern them.
- 15 Things That Will Make You Strong
We all have times of weakness,but they don't have to control us. Here are a few proven ways to help you get strong.
- Christians! Do You Know Who You Really Are?
Every Christian is equally loved and valued by the Lord. No matter what you think of yourself, God has already made His declaration about you. Do you know who you are?
- Life After Death...What is the Truth?
Is there a Heaven? Is there a Hell? Is there an eternity to be concerned about? This hub shares about each of these issues.
- The Goodness of God
God is good all the time and, all of the time, God is good. This hub talks about that manifest goodness.
- Don't Blame it on God...
Destruction is always thought to be the will of God. This hub gives some insight into the contrary.
A devotional study of the Names of God.
Getting to know God through a study of His Names.
A wonderful study for children on the Names of God.
52 Bible Studies on the Names of God
A description of the Names of God throughout the Word of God.
A beautifully illustrated guide to the many Names of God.