Why are there more male atheists than female atheists?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image0
    rickyliceaposted 11 years ago

http://cdn.yougov.com/today_uk_import/Y … 070904.pdf

According to this YouGov poll men are twice as likely as women to be atheists 22% versus 10%.

It is something that I have noticed on the internet as well.

When the bible says things like this, Ephesians 5, 22-24

"Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."

And some muslims make their women dress like this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6961616.jpg

1. profile image0
      Chasukposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe there are as many men as women who are atheists, but they aren't as vocal about it. I've known very few women who actually enjoyed argument. Atheism almost always entails argument. Or maybe they feel that their religious belief -- or lack of it -- is a private affair.

1. Greekgeek profile image79
        Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

Fewer women like to argue or be dictated to about politics or religion. Whenever that comes up in social settings, all the women I know move to another room to get away from the men arguing about them. They probably move away from pollsters, to. I certainly would! wink

1. profile image0
          rickyliceaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that it's just that women are too shy, according to gallup women are more likely to attend church than men.

And in Europe
          "A half-century later, the massive church was nearly empty during Mass on a recent Sunday -- its cold, cement walls echoing with the thin coughs of elderly women, who seem to make up the majority of parishioners in many Irish parishes."

http://www.boston.com/news/world/articl … ?page=full

While Catholics prohibit women from entering the priesthood.

1. profile image0

I don't want to endorse a stereotype, but I don't think that women necessarily attend church out of religiosity. Many women attend church to belong, and for networking with other women. It is the only socially sanctioned opportunity that many women have to congregate regularly with other women.

1. profile image0

Yeah that's one of the few advantages of organized religion.
              I often thought it would be a good idea to have atheist clubs or groups. Since we are so few in number, it would really help in meeting friends.

1. profile image0

If you are a member of a UU church, you can easily be a member of atheist club or group.

2. kathleenkat profile image84
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This...

There are plenty of people who don't believe and don't feel compelled to tell everyone about their  beliefs. I don't believe, but I was (kind of) asked on here whether I did. I don't walk down the street and advertise it.

You'll also find that there are many people who believe that don't do things like wear crosses, paint dots on their foreheads, etc.

3. udontnomi profile image58
        udontnomiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have got that absolutely right. They are too serious about it for enjoyment!

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe because there are more males then females in the world?

1. A Troubled Man profile image56
        A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, a 1.1:1 ratio, which still doesn't explain the differences.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Huh? Who asked for differences?

1. A Troubled Man profile image56
            A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The OP...

"According to this YouGov poll men are twice as likely as women to be atheists 22% versus 10%."

Oh ok I get it. Thanks

3. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If this is in fact true...

Based on Socialogy, I would say that is is because men tend to be more logical in their thinking and actions, while women favor the emotional side of thinking and actions...

4. Josak profile image62
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

perhaps because women are still expected to be good little Christians (particularly in terms of sex) while men have had a bit more license in that area for a long time, what I mean is women are still stupidly expected to meet this medieval image of virtue to greater extent than men and religiosity plays a part in that.

5. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

not to be a sexiest but i think for many religion is a social affair more then anything and women tend to like social affairs more then men. my wife is an atheist but i don't think anyone other then myself really knows it. i've been asked by a few people how my wife and i get along since i'm an atheist and she's a christian.

6. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Women are traditionally feelers, nurturers, intuitive. Men are traditionally thinkers.

Women, therefore, tend to 'feel' God more, while men don't. One certainly cannot find evidence for God in a rational way. In the end, it always comes down to feeling... i.e. belief, faith.

I'm a female atheist, by the way!

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Maybe, women figured out a long time ago that men wrote the Bible and the quran. But, neither book is what ultimately drives belief.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol did they?...i guess it depends on country surveyed but most muslims countries see women coming out on streets against people/authors who write for women treatment in islam

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't really understand what you were trying to say, but I did say maybe. Most women are brighter than they let men know.

I think it is difficult to determine what women think in strict Islamic settings. I consider them imprisoned and under siege. Most prisoners do cave in and do as they are told.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@emileR m not at all doubting brightness of women ...cant blame women gender when 70% live in social structure that discourages them to think independently...may be thats y women in such countries fear change , r more traditionalist and use god as escapism from life...

3. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

I wonder how they conduct that poll. The only atheists I know in real life are women.

Women are also more nervous about giving away their religion (or lack of), if they're not Christian. I haven't even told my own neighbors, lest it strain our interactions. I doubt most men would worry about that!

4. profile image0
    scottcgruberposted 11 years ago

I think a lot may depend on how the question is worded. According to the most recent Pew survey on religion in the U.S., only about 4% of respondents self-identify as atheist or agnostic. However, about 9% of self-described Christians either don't believe in God or express doubt or uncertainty in God's existence. There are also sizable percentages of non-believing Catholics, Jews, and Muslims. This leads me to believe that quite a lot of people do religion out of habit or for the social aspects rather than out of actual belief. Maybe some of that is behind these survey results as well.

5. A Troubled Man profile image56
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

1 Tim. 2:11-14

6. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 11 years ago

Because men tend to analyze more and they are hard-headed. ::big_smile

7. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 11 years ago

In my personal opinion, atheism does not appeal to emotions. Religion does.
    This is not to say that one is right and the other is wrong; but realistically, atheism is not for wimps. It basically states that there is no God; we have no divine purpose; and in some cases atheism may cause one to believe they have no purpose in this life other than to live.
    Religion, on the other hand, promotes the idea of a loving Father who will save us from everlasting hell by sending Himself to die for us. This paints a much more romantic, emotionally appealing picture for any person.
    Men, in most cases, tend to be more logical. Women, in most cases, tend to be more emotional.
    It would therefore be easier for men to accept a lifestyle or worldview not dependent upon emotion; whereas a woman might be more inclined to accept a lifestyle or worldview which appeals to emotion.
    Just my opinion.

1. profile image0

Interesting that both you and AEvans bring up sex differences, although it's kind of a touchy subject.
      I'm no expert, but I guess I wouldn't rule it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNONWYorKtw

8. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

This is an assumption, but I recently read that women see and analyze things differently than men. Men tend to see “the big picture” where women view things in smaller bits. So an explanation could be that men would see the whole Biblical and Jesus story and say, “Bullsh*t”.  Women would focus on the individual stories. For instance let’s take the Noah story where the entire earth was flooded. In today’s terms that would be laughable because the focus is in a smaller part. Today we know the earth is a sphere measuring about 25,000 miles in circumference at the equator. To see the whole picture, thousands of years ago, when this BS story was written, the thought of the day was the earth was flat and consisted of three land masses, Europe, Lybia, and Asia (all shaped much smaller than they actually are) which floated on a great sea.

I read somewhere that man can sit on mountain top meditating on the navel for years and years trying to find enlightenment. Woman find enlightened while doing the dishes.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So do you think that on the whole women are probably working to much to have the free time to actually question religious dogma?
        Could be smile

Could be?

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about men doing dishes?

1. udontnomi profile image58

Real men change diapers. Even poopie ones!

9. ITcoach profile image58
    ITcoachposted 11 years ago

I could not find this difference of thought between Atheist. Every one is free to choose his opinion and belief. I think Male give more attention to the belief so they get atheist more than that of females.
    Nice thread to share.

10. A Troubled Man profile image56
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

There are a great deal of studies on why females tend to be more religious than males. Just look them up.

11. Adriana Cupsa profile image62
    Adriana Cupsaposted 11 years ago

Women feel more the need to rely on somebody, men are more independent. That s why are less women atheist than men.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I beg your pardon? I do not need to rely on anyone.

1. udontnomi profile image58

A hard row to hoe. Or did I get that backwards?

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

what?  big_smile  thanks for the chuckle!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)