Christainity, is it a violent religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (70 posts)
  1. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 11 years ago

Forgive me all hubbers out there, I want to ask this same question on Christianity being a violent religion, as was put forward on Islam by one of the hubbers to see the kind of reactions coming through.

1. God made science profile image60
      God made scienceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When there is no issue of race, money, political oppression --- religion becomes the issue of conflict. Faith is dangerous. Christ's religion, unfortunately, has caused disputes, though its ideals are lofty. But its people who follow religion, not some mythical character, like Jesus Christ.

1. youcanwin profile image42
        youcanwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Listen to Me," said Jesus. "What you are about to see and hear is true. Take heed you ministers of the gospel, for these are faithful and true sayings. Awake, evangelists, preachers, and teachers of My Word, all of you who are called to preach the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. If you are sinning, repent or you will likewise perish."

We walked up to within fifteen feet of this activity. I saw small dark-clothed figures marching around a boxlike object. Upon closer examination, I saw that the box was a coffin and the figures marching around it were demons. It was a real coffin, and there were twelve demons marching around it. As they marched, they were chanting and laughing. Each one had a sharp spear in his hand, which he kept thrusting into the coffin through small openings that lined the outside.

There was a feeling of great fear in the air, and I trembled at the sight before me. Jesus knew my thoughts, for He said, "Child, there are many souls in torment here, and there are many different types of torment for these souls. There is greater punishment for those who once preached the gospel and went back into sin, or for those who would not obey the call of God for their lives. "

I heard a cry so desperate that it filled my heart with despair. "No hope, no hope!" he called. The hopeless cry came from the coffin. It was an endless wail of regret.

"God, how awful!" I said.

"Come," said Jesus, "let's go closer." With that, He walked up to the coffin and looked inside. I followed and also looked in. It appeared that the evil spirits could not see us. A dirty-gray mist filled the inside of the coffin. It was the soul of a man. As I watched, the demons pushed their spears into the soul of the man in the coffin.

I will never forget the suffering of this soul. I cried to Jesus, "Let him out, Lord; let him out."

The torment of his soul was such a terrible sight. If only he could get free. I pulled at Jesus' hand and begged Him to let the man out of the coffin.
        Jesus said, "My child, peace, be still."

As Jesus spoke, the man saw us. He said, "Lord, Lord, let me out. Have mercy." I looked down and saw a bloody mess. Before my eyes was a soul. Inside the soul was a human heart, and blood spurted from it. The thrusting of the spears were literally piercing his heart. "I will serve You now, Lord." He begged, "Please let me out." I knew that this man felt every
        spear that pierced his heart. "Day and night, he is tormented," the Lord said. "He was put here by Satan, and it is Satan  who torments him."

The man cried, "Lord, I will now preach the true gospel. I will tell about sin and hell. But please help me out of here."

Jesus said, "This man was a preacher of the Word of God. There was a time when he served Me with all his heart and led many people to salvation. Some of his converts are still serving Me today, many years later. The lust of the flesh and the deceitfulness of riches led him astray.

He let Satan gain the rule over him. He had a big church, a fine car, a large
        income. He began to steal from the church offerings. He began to teach lies. He spoke mostly half-lies and half-truths. He would not let Me correct him. I sent My messengers to him to tell him to repent and preach the truth, but he loved the pleasures of this life more than the life of God. He knew not to teach or preach any other doctrine except the truth as revealed in the Bible. But before he died, he said the Holy Ghost baptism was a lie and that those who claimed to have the Holy Ghost were hypocrites. He said you could be a drunkard and get to heaven, even without repentance.

"He said God would not send anyone to hell -that God was too good to do that. He caused many good people to fall from the grace of the Lord. He even said that he did not need Me, for he was like a god. He went so far as to hold seminars to teach this false doctrine. He trampled My Holy Word under his feet. Yet, I continued to love him. "My child, it is better to have never known Me than to know Me and turn back from serving Me," said the Lord.

"If only he had listened to You, Lord!" I cried. "If only he had cared about his soul and the souls of others. "

"He did not listen to Me. When I called he would not hear Me. He loved the easy life. I called and called him to repentance, but he would not come back to Me. One day he was killed and came immediately here. Now Satan torments him for having once preached My Word and saved souls for My kingdom. This is his torment."

I watched the demons as they continued to march around and around the coffin. The man's heart beat and real blood ran from it. I will never forget his cries of pain and sorrow. Jesus looked at the man in the coffin with great compassion and said, "The blood of many lost souls are upon this man's hands. Many of them are in torment here right now." With sorrowful hearts, Jesus and I walked on.

As we left, I saw another group of demons coming up to the coffin. They were about three feet high, dressed in black clothes, with black hoods over their faces. They were taking shifts tormenting this soul.

I thought of how pride in all of us at times makes us unwilling to admit mistakes and ask for forgiveness. We refuse to repent and humble ourselves, and we go on as if we alone were ever right. But listen, soul, hell is real. Please do not go to that place.

Then Jesus showed me a giant clock, stretched out across the whole world. And I heard it ticking. The hour hand was nearing the twelve o'clock position, and the minute hand raced around until it stopped at three minutes before twelve. Stealthily the minute hand moved toward the hour. As it moved, the ticking became louder and louder until it seemed to fill the whole earth.

God spoke like a trumpet, and His voice sounded like many waters. "Listen and hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches," He said. "Be ready, for at a time you think not, I will come again. I hear the clock striking. It is twelve o'clock. The Bridegroom has come for His bride."

Are you ready for Christ's coming, my friend? Or will you be like those who say, "Not today, Lord?" Will you call upon Him and be saved? Will you give your heart to Him today?

Remember, Jesus can and will save you from all evil if you call on Him today, and repent. Pray for your family and your loved ones that they will come to Christ before it is too late. Listen as Jesus says, "I will protect you from evil. I will keep you in all your ways. I will save you. I will save your loved ones. Call upon Me today and live. " With many tears, I pray that all of you who read this book will realize the truth before it is too late.

Hell is for eternity. I am trying to the best of my ability to reveal all I saw and heard. I know these things are true. As you read the remainder of this book, I pray that you will repent and take Jesus Christ as your personal Savior.

I heard the Lord say, "It is time to go. We shall return again tomorrow."
        (Excerpt from the book:" A Divine Revelation of Hell" by Mary K. Baxter)

2. Annsalo profile image84
      Annsaloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Anytime people begin to believe in any unseen being more than we believe in ourselves and each other violence will come. Religion is the excuse for all bad and the direction for all good by those who believe.

3. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Humanity is, by it's nature, violent. As such violence is pervasive in human society. Regardless of whether violence is part of a particular creed or not, it will be committed by people. Some of those people may be Christian. But religion is just one of the ways people rationalise violence.

People would be violent without Christianity and without religion. They would just rationalise in a different way. In fact they already do. Violence has been committed in the name of democracy, fascism, freedom, capitalism, communism, honour etc.

These are all ways human beings rationalise violence, and we must rationalise it because we are complex, self-aware creatures. The knowledge that violence is an animalistic behaviour that originates from our genetically inherited tendency to compete for resources, is damaging to our self image. So we cover up that truth in layers of rationalisation, as a defence mechanism.

No, I don't think Christianity is a violent religion. I think human beings are a violent species. Christianity (like politics and other religions) is just another way to rationalise animalistic behaviour, so we don't feel bad about ourselves.

4. twosheds1 profile image61
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

As an atheist, I don't think any religion is inherently violent, even Islam. The Bible has a lot of passages that say that certain people, if they do certain things, should be put to death, but most sane people don't obey those commandments. The problem is when someone believes that their holy book, or their interpretation of it, is infallible, and not capable of being wrong.

5. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most religions have a history of violence, the question is are they currently violent. Christians? Not even close.

1. twosheds1 profile image61

Timothy McVeigh, the Hutaree Militia, the Christian Identity movement, the KKK, all are Christian and violent, or at least potentially violent. Then there are the abortion clinic bombings and shootings.

These are, of course, tiny minorities of Christianity. But the reason why Christianity isn't more violent is because Christianity, and Christians, are fairly well-off in the world.

1. profile image0

Alright, that's probably a few thousand fringe extremists to sully the reputations of two Billion Christians.

On the other hand we have seen in the past few decades Islamic violence on a much larger scale.
          http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dlpJ9dM6yfE/S-rxfQdISuI/AAAAAAAAAuI/0Ygc5MExl4g/s1600/Muslim+World+Map.jpg

There is no comparison to modern day violence in Christianity versus Islam. This map only shows their violent actions whereas several surveys have shown that over half of the residents in Islamic countries such as Jordan, Pakistan, and Turkey favor the idea of suicide bombers paying a visit to America.

Do you have a source for these surveys? Even if they were true, what does that tell us? It is probably parenthetical that the respondents were Muslim. What do American Muslims think? What do the people in Jordan, Pakistan and Turkey have in common? Relative powerlessness and feelings of marginalization. Terrorism is a tool of the powerless. The Christian groups I mentioned (I think McVeigh was in Christian Identity) also feel powerless.

The real point I was trying to make is when people hold irrational beliefs that they feel cannot be wrong - not just that their ideas are not wrong, but incapable of being wrong - there is the potential for violence. Look at the Hutarees. How many of them were lawyers, doctors, etc.? People with real skin in the game. None. They were on the fringes of society, marginalized and powerless.

You are absolutely right. Islam has committed more acts of violence recently than Christianity, but that doesn't change what I've said.

1. profile image0

You are right that people who hold to irrational beliefs tend feel so marginalized and powerless that they are brought to the point of justifying committing acts of senseless violence, (when the reality is quite the contrary).
              I find it interesting that the one group who holds to the irrational belief of non belief has the worst possible record of senseless violence and murder in the shortest amount of time. It's also kind of ironic since atheists are usually the ones who accuse others of holding to irrational beliefs when they hold the highest body count.

1. eternals3ptember profile image60
                eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Athiests? Are you refering to Communists, even thought just about everyone was Orthadox Russian (Christian) or Chinese anamist. How about the Carholics who killed just about every American? Jew/ Muslim in Spain? The Crusades? Hell, each other during the Crusades. Protestants in New England? The Philipines? At some point it isnt religion, or lack of. Some people just want to kill each other for gain, and God/Allah/Yaweh is an easy excuse when you meed to rally the troops. That or the Gulag.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry maybe I misunderstood you. Are you saying that the Russian Orthodox church was in charge of the millions of murders that occurred under the banner of communism? If so, are you not aware that the communists used the churches against their people to sell them out to their own government?
                  Perhaps you should read this,
                  https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQctjQ3cC8G2s2fuam-TeLeW0f9k3SOUqHMQE4Kl2bBRWiWXiXG1Q

So what churches did Joseph Stalin, Vladimir Lenin, Pol Pot, Che Guevara, and Mao Tse Tung belong to?

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
                    A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obviously, they were the result of the bad ideologies their societies had developed. No one is saying religions have the monopoly on bad ideologies.

2. twosheds1 profile image61

I've heard this argument many times, and it's just not true. Regardless of whether this dictator or that was an atheist or worshipped JR "Bob" Dobbs, they didn't commit their crimes in the name of atheism. Stalin, Lenin and Che all had mustaches, too.

1. profile image0

And I've heard the same tired arguments that a few of the religious people who are violent have some unique ability to cause violence and spread hatred when it is blatantly obvious that every person in the world has the exact same potential regardless of their religious beliefs or social disposition. Stalin, Lenin, and Che also believed that there would be no consequences in this life or the next for their actions hence they were unhinged in their capacity to murder.
                  But now when God says something like "thou shalt not kill", (which is supposed to be an obvious no no in the nature of man), I tend to think that unless such rules are put into place by a higher authority that people would be more inclined to go forward with such a despicable act. Take abortion for example. No other animal in nature aborts it's fetus except for humans.

LOL! And, you know that how?

That's what got us into trouble in the first place.

And, there are things animals do that we do not. So what?

2. twosheds1 profile image61

Godwin's Law...

Che was hardly "unhinged," Stalin had trained to be a priest, and Lenin's parents were Orthodox & Lutheran, though he wasn't religious, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that they foresaw no consequences. But Lenin was also not a mass murderer. Stalin was a paranoid schizophrenic. But like I said, that's irrelevant.

How many criminals, including murderers. believe in God? And believed before their crimes? The Pew Forum has some answers:
                    http://www.pewforum.org/Government/reli … isons.aspx

The physicist Steven Weinberg said that regardless of religion you will have" good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things." However, "for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."

6. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course its a violent religion they are constantly strapping bombs to themselves and blowing things up.

7. profile image57
      stoneyyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is the Pope Catholic?
      The stone and bronze-age superstition is rabidly anti-freedom, anti-responsibility, and anti-female.

1. profile image59
        augustine72posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes he is. Is he a Christian? No.

8. A Troubled Man profile image57

Christianity, like any other bad ideology such as communism, removes the human factor and places absolute commands and laws that contradict that human factor, teaching it's followers to act immoral and unethical upon delivery and deployment of those commands and laws.

Sometimes those commands and laws can provide a positive outcome just as they provide a negative result.

Christianity, for example, fabricates lies such as all humans are born sinners, are evil and violent by nature when in fact we are very much compassionate and altruistic by nature. It is the bad ideologies that cause us to act that way against our natural evolved tendency to be moral and ethical.

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 11 years agoin reply to this

compassionate and altruistic by nature? Lets look back over history. In Abrahams day travel was simply a thing one did not do because death loomed for many reasons, some of them human. Lets quickly skip through history and remember all the wars, from Genghis Khan upward, lets look at the poor and starving in the world, even north america, lets look at marketing and how deceptive it is and include 'planned obsolescence', lets look at how employees are treated in the workplace and the minimum wage. Lets look at third world countries and examine their lifestyle. Lets research divorce, murders, and bullying in the school ground. Then finally lets us remember why we have a police system. Lets recall frivolous acts of violence at sporting events, then lets read the newspapers from all around. Lets go to new york where people don't say hi to each other passing on the sidewalks and lets remember all the protests against governments from the 60s and recall the manipulations of the rich and the usage of population as fodder and cattle and then lets reassess our evaluation that claim people are altruistic and compassionate. To a certain degree yes, it is sometimes easy to get a hello on the street or to watch people gather together to put out a house fire and who wouldn't want to assist an injured animal, but this does not make human kind incapable of sinning. We really have to admit that in the final analysis the bulk of the criteria screams out that our natural tendancy is "me first and everyone else after me."

1. profile image0

Well said. Thomas Hobbs once described the life of men as "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short." Since the dawn of time men have fought and killed each other over material possessions, and dominion over one another.
          No, I think the big fabrication is the belief that men are naturally compassionate and altruistic. With or without religion history paints a much different picture.

Yes, without religions, societies have much less crime and violence. A very different picture.

1. profile image0

Right because the totalitarian regimes they build up don't count their own atrocities as violence or crimes.
              "you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs." -Stalin wink

What does that have to do with anything?

Actually, Darwin said that first. smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

Before we go any further, let's keep in mind that believers in religions have ruled the world for centuries and in many countries, still do. Their decision making processes were as tainted by the religions they follow as they do today.

Thanks for providing those examples of a world in which every aspect of societies have in one way or another been influenced by the religious mindset. Well done, sir. smile

1. profile image0

You are entirely welcome, sir smile

9. Ceegen profile image67
      Ceegenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus said to a Roman Centurion (I don't know how much more context you could fit in there) to, "do violence to no one." And to others He said, "Turn the other cheek." And to a crowd of angry, hate-driven men about a stone a woman to death for adultery (when they probably had a few encounters with her themselves), He said, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

Any "Christian" who advocates violence, isn't following what Jesus both said, and did. Jesus forgave his murderers! How can anyone say anything bad about that? Because that's the example we're supposed to follow, not that of our fellow human being. We're all liars and thieves, which is why we are all sinners. But the "holier than thou" crowd ruins it for the rest of us.

Your salvation is in Jesus Christ, not "Christians". Go to the source yourself, and ask. He is a Living God, and can interact with you. But if you're going to do it, just to mock Him, I wouldn't suggest even asking for anything. But if you ask Him to help you get to know Him a little better, I can guarantee that He'll answer that kind of prayer.

So don't let the bad example of supposed "Christians" get in the way of you believing. Don't let so-called believers cloud your visions of a true and righteous God, one that loved us so much that He literally dwelled with us, just to tell us how much He really cared about us. He even went so far as to show us what it really meant to be a "follower of the Law" from the love of your heart, and not just a self-righteous "everyone else is going to burn in hell" parrot.

We know why wars happen: Greed, self-righteousness, and vengeance. No matter who is in charge, atheist or "believer" of any kind, the entire history of humankind is filled with violence. We're our own worst enemy. This is why we need God in our lives.

You can argue all you want about which religion is true, if any at all, but I've made up my mind. I could care less why you believe religion is, or which one is, true or not true. It doesn't bother me one bit.

All I'm saying is, let's not lump every "Christian" in the same "pot/kettle" category. Because isn't that no better than racism? Make your own judgment of things, based not only on words, but deeds. By their fruits, ye shall know them. Jesus warned us of wolves in sheep's clothing. You don't need a church, to have a personal father-and-son (or daughter!) relationship with Jesus. He loves you, and don't you doubt it because of the bad examples, of other people. Jesus is what every human could ever hope to attain, what every human dreams of: Immortality. That is why God is the great "I AM" of the Old Testament, and Jesus of the New. They explain each other, from different perspectives.

Look beyond the outward appearance of things. Don't rely on your own understanding, just trust Him.

Please speak for yourself, thanks. Many of us are not liars and thieves.

You can guarantee no such thing.

Funny how you say we need God in our lives when our entire societies were built with that in mind, hence the wars, greed, self-righteousness, etc. Now, it's time to shed those gods and start dealing with reality.

You can argue all you want about which religion is true, if any at all, but I've made up my mind. I could care less why you believe religion is, or which one is, true or not true. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Sorry, but that's why the world is in the state it's in today.

1. Ceegen profile image67

"Please speak for yourself, thanks. Many of us are not liars and thieves."

I mean, ever. You mean to say you've NEVER lied or stolen anything? Never coveted anything that didn't belong to you? Never looked at a woman with lust in your heart? Your whole life? I fought with this concept that I'm a sinner for the longest time, but in the end I gave up and gave in. Yes, you're a sinner, but... Yes, Jesus wants to forgive you. Would you accept?

"Funny how you say we need God in our lives when our entire societies were built with that in mind, hence the wars, greed, self-righteousness, etc. Now, it's time to shed those gods and start dealing with reality."

Why would you ask me to start dealing with reality? Is there something you know, that I don't? How does a lack of God in your life, make you any better than me? It isn't like I am any better than you, being a fellow sinner.

"Sorry, but that's why the world is in the state it's in today."

Absolutely wrong. The world is in the state it is in today, because people care about themselves more than others. In the entire recorded history of humankind, we've not gotten away from warring with each other for the most asinine things.

The real problem is that everyone is so worried about the outward appearance of things, and trying to fix it all from the outside in. But fixing the outside, when the heart is what needs fixing, is only a temporary thing. It doesn't matter how much vinyl siding you put on a house with rotten timbers, it will not hide the flaws in the structural integrity when the house collapses. Cancer doesn't get better the longer you ignore it.

Sin is like cancer, friend. But like Alcoholics Anonymous, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. God said you're a sinner, and sin separates us from God. Without being able to first admit that you are a sinner, you have no hope of escaping your sin, and you have no power to forgive yourself of your sins. Only God has the power to fogive sins, and there is only one mediator between humans and God: Jesus Christ.

I can only conclude that is an admittance to such behavior on your part?

Yes, I look at women, so what?

Sorry, but I don't engage in the type of behavior you're accustomed, so I don't need your Jesus to forgive me for anything.

Because you appear to be wallowing in fantasies.

Actually, it is YOU who claims to know something I don't.

Who said that?

I'm not a fellow sinner.

Like religions.

Religions are the cancer.

I am not a sinner, hence Jesus is irrelevant to me. Your God is obviously wrong on that count.

It is exactly those kind of claims and statements that have fueled many of the problems, conflicts and wars of our societies for centuries.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/silver_beetle/Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg

2. Ceegen profile image67

I have no idea what exactly I am replying to in context, since this forum is new to me, but I figure all the big blank spaces is where my text would have been? Maybe it is just my browser. Continuing...

Absolutely, I am a sinner. I have no problem admitting that I'm less than perfect.

And you may not think so, but lusting after them is a sin, no matter how harmless it seems to be.

You think you don't need the forgiveness of Jesus to free you from sin, but your opinion matters very little in the fact that you really do. Who is going to forgive you of your sins against God? Yourself? Oh yeah sure, wouldn't government be great if we could all be our own personal judge, and pardon ourselves of any crime we're committed of? It would be nice, but no one is perfect enough to be able to do that, which is why we need a 3rd party to tell us how bad we're actually doing. God is that 3rd party, and He said you're a sinner, so you are.

Um, where did I ever claim to know something you do not? Anyone can get to know God, if they ask. I'm sorry you don't want to get to know God, and instead blame Him for all of the world's problems, even though you say He doesn't exist?

You're the one saying that I need to start "dealing with reality". You mean to tell me that this "reality" you speak of, lacks God? How can you be so sure?

See and this is where context would be nice, but I can't really know what you're talking about with a bunch of blank spaces. I could guess what you're trying to say, but I'll let you clarify.

According to who? Yourself? This is why God doesn't allow you to be your own judge.

I'm guessing that was in reply to my 2nd to last paragraph, about the house with rotten timbers, and cancer?

You can blame religion ALL you want, but it isn't true at all. Not one bit true! That's like blaming handguns for killing people, spoons for people being fat, and pencils for misspelling words! Religion can't do anything by itself. It is the person that is evil. Why keep blaming everything else other than yourself for your problems? You reject God, you are the problem. You get in the way of your own salvation, no one else. In your rejection of God, you allow evil to thrive.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." - Ephesians 6:12.

Spiritual wickedness in "high places". The "highest" place in you, is your "heart", your thoughts and emotions. You're battling against yourself, and losing, because you refuse to see the problem within yourself. You wonder why so many Christians are bad, evil people? I would venture to guess, that if other people were really following God the way Jesus teaches us, this world would be a lot better off.

Oh yeah, religion is the only thing to blame. Humans aren't greedy, spiteful little miscreants on their own. Always gotta have a scapegoat! Never take the blame for our own actions! Deny, deny, deny.

Being less than perfect does not mean one is a sinner. If you admit to being a sinner, then you are admitting to not having morals and ethics, that you are unable to figure out on your own the difference between right and wrong and must be told what is right and what is wrong based on an ancient book of myths.

Looking at women and lusting after them are two different things and even if I did lust after women, it is entirely natural to do so.

I don't need anything or anyone to free me from something that has no bearing on me in the least.

I don't sin because I don't accept your beliefs regarding sin, they are irrelevant to me.

Who is going to forgive you of your sins against Allah or any of the other gods?

Then, I spit in your gods face for saying that and I'd punch his lights out if he ever showed himself to me. He won't, of course.

You can't get to know what has never been shown to exist.

Show me one god, any god. Can you?

Handguns, spoons and pencils don't state that I'm a sinner requiring forgiveness.

Nope, it is religions that cause good people to do bad things.

lol Hilarious.

Show you God? You expect everything handed to you on a silver platter? Find Him yourself? I don't care what you do with your spare time. But, I seriously doubt you would be able to do anything in God's presence, let alone spit on or punch Him.

And if you don't sin, could you please tell me what you base your morals off of? Do you make up a new rule so you can break an old one, or do your morals never change?

Yes, I did figure out what is right and wrong on my own. I came to the conclusion that God's moral standard is what I should be using, not my own set of standards.

And no, religion doesn't cause bad things to happen any more than any other idea, like government and law, economics, medicine, the sciences, etc.. People are evil enough on their own to manipulate ANY system they come across.

No, I expect you to substantiate your claims for His existence. Talking about it is just so much hot air.

Logic and reason, of course. It's called "thinking." I can provide a definition for you if you like?

No, there is no need to make up new ones to break old ones, that makes no sense, actually.

How can you have your own set of standards when you just finished asking me how it's accomplished?

You've only been indoctrinated to believe people are evil. Religions are not like other ideas and can't be compared to ideas in reality because they are based on myths and fantasy.

2. profile image59

So it is natural to be a pervert.

So fire does not burn me if I don't share your beliefs about it?

You have chosen your eternal destiny.

Well it has. You just have not seen it. 

Noone can show you. Because you won't look.

Nope, it is the people that cause good religion to do bad things.

It won't be when you finally enter eternal damnation.

3. profile image59

How sad. You can't see where you are going.

You don't see that you too do? You claim that you know your eternal destiny.

Yes you are.

Yes they are. But there is one more cancer and that is atheism. It is killing you.

I am sorry but you are, Only people with low morality levels can make such claims as this. So examine yourselves.

Don't be sad, cheer up.

No, I don't. Please don't fabricate lies.

LOL!

You are atheist as well, just one more god than me.

You have placed links to websites that are filled with lies and deceit. Is that the morality level we should be attaining?

1. profile image59

How do you know they are like?

10. Radical Rog profile image72
      Radical Rogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Both Islam and Christianity look to Abraham as the father of their religion. Islam and Christianity have warred against each other. Sects within Christianity and sects within Islam have warred against each other. They still do because members of each diverse little group believes they are the only right path and seek to impose their view on the others so what sort of god is it that doesn't sort out this mess?

Islam is nothing at all like Christianity in doctrine. That aside, I wanted to address the violence issue.

Most of Christianity today is nothing that resembles the God that forgave His murderers, who nailed Him to a cross. Reach out to that ideal, not the "popular" Christianity today. Look to Jesus as your example to follow, not some "Christian" who only goes to church one day a week for an hour, and thinks he's done the world a service by gracing his presence in a building.

There are good Christians out there, don't lump us all together, that's no better than racism. I have to share the "Christian" label with others who do the title a disservice, and I can't help that. And it isn't like my example is any better.

But my life, my example to you, was once full of sin. That's not to say I'm not a sinner now, it's just that I'm not doing nearly as many bad and hypocritical things as I used to. The bible says that the penalty for sin, is death. Any sin!

But does God really want to punish us? Not according to the bible. Not according to the testimony of Jesus, who forgave sins freely and willingly. God wants you on His side, and you don't need to go to church for it. You don't need to browse the internet and choose a denomination, as if shopping for food. It is so much more than simply picking out a wardrobe. (Though some would argue the ease of picking out a wardrobe... I digress).

God allows sin to happen, so we can be forgiven for it. Otherwise, He has to punish us. He doesn't want to punish us, because His rules aren't that hard to follow: Love Him, and treat your neighbor like you would want to be treated.

God tells us not to worry about the wicked, He'll take care of them. Don't worry about it, just trust Him no matter how bad it gets. I bet you would enjoy reading the book of Job, and how even though Job was persecuted, Job never cursed God. He sure questioned God, but never cursed Him. It's a great example to follow, but not quite the perfect example of Jesus. It was the first book of the bible I ever read, because I couldn't relate to this perfect "Jesus" guy. But Job certainly filled the gap of what I couldn't see.

And don't be surprised if you see the spiritual message in the bible, because the bible is first and foremost about spiritual things.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Yes, Christianity has been used for violence just like every other religion. I think, we don't see as much violence  as was seen historically, because Christianity has mushroomed into so many different sects that it is no longer a binding force between vast numbers of people and across socio economic barriers. Nor, do they have religious leaders who attain a level of influence where they are seen as infallible.

Given a situation where a country mixes abject poverty with little to no education for the masses and it could easily revert back in those pockets. I would think.

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

They killed pagans by the millions. And what is hell a picnic.

1. profile image59

That is a misconception. Here is an article that will clear it out.

http://atheistpill.blogspot.com/2012/09 … olent.html

Not exactly a neutral web site.

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

There is an awful lot of smiting in the Old Testament. And most people seem to ignore the 'love thy neighbor' and 'turn the other cheek' ethos in the New Testament. Which is sad.

5. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

No, Christianity is not a violent religion.

Have Christians been violent? Certainly. Have some used Christianity as an excuse for violence? Yes. But that does not make the religion itself violent.

The problem with violence is ego, not religion. In fact, the key goal of most major religions is the removal of ego.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can agree with that.  Bibles and Qurans do not commit acts of violence any more than guns commit murder. Yet, men have found ways to use all three in violent acts against others.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

6. ginjill ashberry profile image75
    ginjill ashberryposted 11 years ago

No religion is violent in origin. Violence are the act of human; driven by self righteous attitude, pride, vengeance, and survival instinct. It is a shame that in our 'hearts of children' the true desire in us are peace, love, mutual equality, respect and joy of sharing the same earth. In an act of self righteous, we tend to judge others by their beliefs, culture and the color of their skin. When the first retaliation begins, others pride are injured. Thus, the birth of vengeful spirit in them. When violence has gotten out of hand; everyone reacts with a survival instinct.

Our ancestors who should have taught us to forgive and let go passes the baton to the next generation. So the endless violence repeats it's cycle throughout history. It only takes one person with the courage to stand up and the having the boldness to change what is to show a peaceful and respectful way of communicating with his neighbor, And open the eyes of all the blinded heart to what could be ours if we can put our ego's aside. Whether it is Moslem, Christian,  Judaism, Buddhist or any other religions. We seek the same thing. Peace.

But the path to peace does not come together with our selfishness to have it both ways; peace BUT my way to feed the ego. When I point the out the 'heart of children' at the beginning. I was referring to everyone's true needs, longings. But the deep things has been so distorted into something else all together.

A baby was not born to be violent. The environment and people who nurture the values in the child; programs the child to view and react to the world as the child grows. Who are the teachers? If we put a dozen of babies from all races of the world together, they will not resort to go for each other's throat but i bet they will try to get each other's attention to play and enjoy one another.

Let's end this 'My religion's better than yours' stuff, friends. There is really nothing to gain but widening an already existing tension. Really. We are not much different. The same human race. If only we refrain from the temptation to justify our beliefs, but show it in the 'grace'actions.

Peace to all.

7. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 11 years ago

Christianity for me has made me much less violent. I am not prone to acts of aggression. I tell those who give me a rough time to have a nice day and i look for good deeds to do. I sponsor a child in India through gospel for asia. I always have time to listen and to a heart to give.
    Was i always this way? yes, but not to the extent i am today
    Is Jesus responsible for this change? Yes absolutely
    So as i am not planning a major world war (Hitler) I do not need a good cover to win over allegiances. As I am not a countries dictator (as such as in africa) I do not need a good cover to pass legislature. As I am not a power hungry person who is full of greed i do not admit my christianity hoping to garner favor (Georgy bush).
    Religion, especially Christ, is the best cover to adopt and this is a fact.
        But more to the question at hand. People need to read the words in red in a bible, lol and discern for themselves whether the bulk of Christian principles promotes good will toward man or not.
      Mark 10:19   Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
      Matthew 22:37   Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
      Matthew 22:38   This is the first and great commandment.
      Matthew 22:39   And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The correct answer should come easily

"Is Jesus responsible for this change? Yes absolutely"

Was it actually Jesus, or just your belief that was responsible? The two are quite different.

1. profile image0

Its like anything, once you get involved you know more, see more, experience more.
        Do you really believe that christianity is just another dead religion fulfilled by good works from a God whose arm is too short that it cannot reach?

No, I think people mistake the happiness and fulfillment belief gives them with an actual effect. Simply believing in something doesn't make it true, even if that belief makes you happy. I'm not discounting the power of belief. I'd be a fool to. I know it works, it's the placebo effect, essentially.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I am amazed..

9. Lycan333 profile image62
    Lycan333posted 11 years ago

Following Christ is not violent at all. It's man who is corruptible, who has a great propensity for violence.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)