Is knowledge the same as wisdom, can knowledge be good, bad or both?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (73 posts)
  1. backporchstories profile image71
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

In the Bible, we are asked to not to seek knowledge but to trust in the Lord and then we will receive wisdom.  I agree that life's challenges can lead to wisdom of the spirit, but does seeking out knowledge cloud our judgements or does it help us decide what to lend our faith to?  Of course there is knowledge that is based on facts, but when it comes to the spirit world, there is knowledge based on theory.  Is there a way to seek knowledge that will insert into our souls some form of wisdom?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You really can't figure out why the writers of the bible ask that you don't seek knowledge? What's the best way to control the masses?

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Knowledge and Widsom aside, if you have no  abilty to use either, because your internal psych blocks you  then you are still lost as to what do with yourself. Seek good mental health first, and use what you have to grow, and live and learn. You will then grow and have ability to seek both wisdom and knowledge. But you have to be able to be not lazy,  have a willing to use them just not talk about them. From the use of them comes experience and thats when presonal progress happens. desernment, ask, try, work, self thought.....all of that - in humans has to happens to grow.   Think

you make and own your own mistakes, they are not given to you by devine interfention. Use the tools you have for yourself     smile.

backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like this reply very much!

3. The0NatureBoy profile image56
      The0NatureBoyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find knowledge is the foundation of wisdom since wisdom is finding the cause behind effects, when and how to and not to do all things and how all things are integrated to present the whole understanding of existence.  The Bible says "in all your getting, get understanding" and the only place I've found it teaches not to seek knowledge is from "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." 

The reason we are told not to seek "the knowledge of good and evil" is because they are hinged on our individual or taught to us likes and rejections.  Our physical senses registers as the opposite of what is actually happening, take our sight for example, what appears on the back of our eyes is inverted but because of our knowing we are upright we are able to recognize how they actually are.  However, most of what we get from our other senses aren't properly recognized.  An example of that is when we put our feet on cold things we get "chill bumps" and what it actually means is our pores are closing to protect our internal body heat.  That's why when we get out off the cold and our feet touch something warm or hot we begin to sweat because the pores opened to release our body's heat. 

So, since we are taught to reject things, oftentimes without testing them, we are not objective enough to experience things to determine their purposes therefore we will not be able to obtain wisdom.  In that light, the only knowledge not to get is "the knowledge of good and evil."

4. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Knowledge is not the same as wisdom at all. Knowledge is based on what you know of information that is presented. Wisdom deals with the application of said knowledge.

1. The0NatureBoy profile image56

How does So, since we are taught to reject things, oftentimes without testing them, we are not objective enough to experience things to determine their purposes therefore we will not be able to obtain wisdom read?  Doesn't it say a bit more than your Wisdom deals with the application of said knowledge

Wisdom is comprehending the purpose for the obtaining of knowledge which holding on to the knowledge of good and evil prohibits our obtaining, as I said above.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
          A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That makes no sense at all.

You are correct, it should have read Wisdom is comprehending the purpose for the knowledge obtained, I stand corrected.

5. Gabriel Wilson profile image91
      Gabriel Wilsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Knowledge comes from study; wisdom with experience. Neither knowledge nor wisdom are good, bad or both: it is people alone who create happiness and people alone who create sadness. We have each other to thank and each other to blame.

Gabriel,
        Well said, however, wisdom brings one into the state of joy {being ever content because of understanding} which has no opposite except the lack of wisdom.

1. profile image0
          jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, useful and respectful discussion, with new material offered.......just it should be in Hubpages, Thank you.

I'm not seeking monetary rewards for my work, the price I paid for my understanding doesn't require me to be money dependent although I might enter next month's contest to see how many people take interest. 

Thank you!

2. backporchstories profile image71

Yup, I understand that line of thinking!  So really is it man or God who wants us to remain dumb?  Thoughts to ponder.  If we gain knowledge and God is real, then are we a threat to Him by seeking this knowledge?  That is the question for the believers!

1. profile image0

The question IS who would want us to remain ignorant, the men in power or a God? There is no reason why an all powerful and all knowing God would want us ignorant. We are of no threat to him, but we are a threat to those who are in power.

Raid Man,
        If there was an "all powerful and all knowing God" other than our own lifeforce, and even though god is our lifeforces, your answer is and isn't correct .   

Our lifeforces has to keep us ignorant so we can learn, via reaping and sowing also called Karma and reincarnation, every thing there is to learn on earth only to bring it back into our understanding once we've completed the metamorphosis called new birth.  However, it works through man's teachings because of the few's desire to control man-in-mass.

3. StayAwakeNow profile image61
    StayAwakeNowposted 11 years ago

In Genesis, They were not allowed to eat from the forbidden tree. The moment they ate from the tree they knew good and evil (before they only knew good). Because they knew about evil since then, Sins came to existence. If you don't know about evil, and only about good stuff, sins would not exist.

I hope you know what I mean, this is a hard subject andEnglish is not my native language so it might be hard to understand what I actually mean.

Thanks....I understand well what you are implying.

4. MentisLudos profile image59
    MentisLudosposted 11 years ago

In the biblical eye, knowledge is seen as a gateway to break away from or defy God. As it is knowledge that allows us to obtain free-will and not base our lives around this God. In medieval times, priests, bishops, and the various hierarchy of the Christian-Catholic faiths would read the bible in Latin. A language that would otherwise be dead. They would raise their arms above their heads with the book in order to symbolize that we, as people, are not worthy and can not understand God's words. They would then begin to read passages in Latin, and since people didn't read or speak Latin, they never understood the bible until later in history.

These priests and such would manipulate the meaning of the bible in order to control the people through "God's" word. At the highest level, a Pope, one would control all these people with his word. A result of this manipulation and the power the Pope had in these times, was that people would fake their faith to go through the hierarchy to become Pope simply to rule over these people. Knowledge can be seen as a threat to these Popes as well, because if someone knew that this great leader was a fake, and that what the bible was actually saying was being covered up, they could start a rebellion and effectively take down this leader.

So you could say, in this sense, that knowledge is a threat to the existence of religion. And it is. More people are becoming Atheist or Agnostic because of knowledge they obtain that defies and logically goes against the words of the bible. I personally, am an Atheist and I take my time to understand religions in order to understand why people have so much faith in something. I try not to discriminate unless I have been discriminated against first. I hope my explanation makes sense! Cheers.

Very good points!  Kudos!

2. profile image0

Wise words!

5. kess profile image61
    kessposted 11 years ago

Knowledge is what it is....knowledge both true and false.
    What is considered as false is knowledge out of place.
    This causes a division within knowledge itself and it becomes chaotic.

Wisdom purpose is to bring chaos back to order, and by doing this Truth is seen.

So knowing Truth is not about hearing something new or something different, it is about seeing that which you already know in a new perspective.

So  the one knowing Truth is as if he knows all things, while the one not knowing Truth is as if he knows absolutely nothing.

That is what I have gathered from other believers and my preacher, however, it makes me uncomfortable that I can not seek knowledge to see the Truth.  Yet again, as I seek knowledge, it seems the Truth becomes more and more vague!  Interesting!

1. kess profile image61
        kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

New perspective my friend....

Some knowledge new perspective shows Truth....

Dont think I have said what the preacher or any christian believer said...

I know you did not say.....this is the subject of last nights sermon at church.  Agree with the perspective thing!

2. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
      wba108@yahoo.composted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, knowledge is a neutral entity and can be useful or damaging depending on its application and truthfulness. I see wisdom as the application of knowledge, so it builds on true knowledge and differs from knowledge in this respect.

As you mentioned, true wisdom brings chaos back to order but knowledge without wisdom has little value and can bring division and strife.

Truth is the basis for all beneficial knowledge and wisdom. Truth is also a person – “I am the way the truth and the life”. The only source of truth we have is found in communing with the source of that truth- namely Jesus, depending on whether you believe in Him!

I most certainly believe in the teachings of the Light and the Truth!  Jesus was a great advocate of the wisdom and even He sought out knowledge to further the wisdom He taught.

2. kess profile image61

I do not subscribe to none of the beliefs of the christian kind, according to the christian church in all of their many variations.

Their Jesus Christ which they have created for themselves is actually the right hand of Antichrist.

There is a cup that flows from the father of which we drink, and any who drink from it will call themselves by the same name as the first beggoten of God.

That name isn't Jesus the Christ.

I am a big believer in Jesus' teachings, however I think it was a politically move at the time to frame him as the so called messiah.  There is even documents where Jesus denies being the son of God and that he was simply teaching the ways of  Budda.  I suppose it is all in how one looks at it and what we choose to believe!  I agree that religion is one way to control the masses along with the wars after wars!

Understand this is the kind of material that is out there to read.....about Jesus not being son of God.....so is knowledge dangerous?  Religion was created by the Church to rule the masses.  Most scholars agree with that one, however, Truth has its way of revealing itself to those who seek the Light!  The Devil?  He is everywhere and in many forms, but he will never see my heart!

1. profile image0

The devil, the tooth fairy, Santa Clause, God and the easter bunny. All these things were taught to us to manipulate behaviour. The tooth fairy and santa were primers to get us used to believing in fairy tales so that we would more easily accept God and the Devil. None of them exist outside the mind. All attempts to show the power of prayer have failed and there is no evidence that any of it is real.

2. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
          wba108@yahoo.composted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please expand on this, I'm not sure what you mean.

1. kess profile image61

I think by now you have had a better Idea...you should be specific about thing you need to know

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image59
            A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now Jesus is in cahoots with the devil? What have you been smoking?

3. backporchstories profile image71

I have to agree with that one.  So why are there so many believers in a God?

1. profile image0

Why do so many children believe in Santa?

Good one!

4. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 11 years ago

You can have knowledge without having wisdom. But not vice versa. I know religion frowns on outside sources, but how can you claim faith if you have to keep your head in the sand to maintain it?

I think, if a spirit world exists it is not at odds with the physical world, so there is nothing to fear by learning all that you can about what you can see. Plus, you can't theorize the spirit world. That falls into the category of make believe. I would think.

Now I like your thinking......good point about head in the sand!

5. profile image52
      hubclairepageposted 11 years ago

It's different. Wisdom is knowing what's right from wrong and having the ability to judge and do what is right and not to do whatever is evil.
      As for knowledge, there's no such thing as good or bad knowledge. It's simply the state of awareness with facts, truths, principles or study. The difference is you may always know (knowledge) what is right from wrong from what you have learned but may not have the ability (wisdom) to judge and choose on how to do things right.

Excellent answer!

6. teacherjoe52 profile image61
      teacherjoe52posted 11 years ago

Good morning.

I always pray for God to reveal His knowledge to me and give me wisdom and He supplies in generous amounts. That is why it is important to pray before reading the Bible every morning.

Many peopke have a lot knowledge but little wisdom.

I agree that there needs to be a balance of the two and I can say that faith can bring about wisdom.

2. profile image0

I find it interesting that you limit your prayers to a male god, not a female god.   Have you a prejudice here?

3. profile image0

In other words you spend time talking to yourself each morning, then you read an unintelligible book and the design your day around that?

Where does wisdom come into it?

1. profile image0

She prays and then reads the bible first thing in the morning to be wise.

I read the news and have a coffee.

7. Jerami profile image60
      Jeramiposted 11 years ago

Knowledge is knowing that which you have learned.

Wisdom is being able to figure it out for yourself

Honestly, I believe that wisdom is in knowing how to apply the knowledge that you have acquired for the purpose of good.

8. taburkett profile image58
      taburkettposted 11 years ago

Wisdom is the astute use of knowledge.
      The Bible teaches man to seek knowledge and to acquire wisdom.
      Proverbs 18:15 ESV
      An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.
      Proverbs 2:10 ESV
      For wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul;
      Proverbs 24:5 ESV
      A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might,
      Proverbs 15:14 ESV
      The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouths of fools feed on folly.
      Proverbs 2:1-22 ESV
      My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. ...
      Psalm 119:66 ESV
      Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in your commandments.
      Proverbs 1:22 ESV
      “How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge?

1. Jerami profile image60
        Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Proverbs was/is my favorite thing about the bible.

2. backporchstories profile image71

Then my Preacher's sermon, where he quoted other scriptures contradicts.  Not only are we asked to never go eat from the tree of knowledge but to trust the Lord and wisdom will be bestowed upon us.  Wish I had a good memory for scriptures, but he directed us to passages in both Psalms, Proverbs and Mark.  His sermon made me feel uncomfortable....in other words I did not agree with the Preacher's message!  Thanks for the scriptures you provided!

9. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Too often we equate wisdom with knowledge based on our view of education. A person can be highly educated and still not be wise, has anyone ever heard of the term "Educated fool"?

If one were to decide to live on the streets would it be wise to consult a professor regarding how to go about it or would it be better to obtain the wisdom of those who are living on the street?

1. profile image0

It would most certainly be wiser to consult a professor regarding living on the streets because the professor would most likely try to convince one to not be so stupid while the person living on the streets might help one do something stupid.

1. SpanStar profile image60
          SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well you are entitled to your point of view.

2. profile image54
        Robertr04posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you on this point. Wisdom comes from experience, not knowledge. I remember as a young man one of the older guys told me "youth is wasted on youth". Years later I understood what he meant.

1. profile image57
          vin9posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Education has very little to do with Wisdom. Education is a source of knowledge.
          As for living on the street, the proffessor and the street smart person may give different do's and don'ts for street living based on experience and knowledge,
          but plain wisdom will say - it is not wise, or it is not the place/ right way for humans to live.

Vin,
            I disagree with your statement plain wisdom will say - it is not wise, or it is not the place/ right way for humans to live because I've lived on the streets for 36 years and only by being the nomad did I become wise.  Had you said social or cultural wisdom then I would agree.  Culture means to prohibit certain beliefs and allowing others to grow uninhibited and is the same as school.

Also, the actual definition of educate is to bring forth from within and being able to explain it which is the only means of becoming wise.  Most people mistake education for schooling which is the cultivating man into an established belief and way of life and that has nothing to do with education, it's schooling or brainwashing.  However, schooling can cause one to educate themselves provided they question because of wanting to know why the taught concepts are superior to what they feel in their heart of hearts.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

You just contradicted yourself.

2. profile image54

I was only reffering to knowledge gained through education. I am assuming most would prefer a roof over their head, with running water and heat,electricity, etc. Not a lot of wisdom required.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

Baloney, one cannot have wisdom without knowledge.

It means the youth lack patience and wisdom.

1. profile image54

You're absolutely right. Without knowledge there can be no wisdom. But, knowledge does not mean wisdom will result. Agreed? Like I said,years later I understood what they meant.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Of course, what one does with knowledge is the key element to wisdom.

10. jacharless profile image73
      jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Wisdom: Undivided experience; the undivided sum of information.
      Knowledge: Divided threads of the sum of information.
      Reason: that which tries to reunite/align 'correctly' the threads of the sum of information.
      Ego: that which divided Wisdom.
      Good/Evil, Right/Wrong; Yes/No; True/False; Belief/disbelief; etc etc etc are all components of said division.

Remember, the mind is a processor of information. All necessary information was put into every human, so they would understand the things [of life] given them -including said mind; that they might understand why they are and how to manage every single element of life on earth. When man indulged his own mind, he became divided and the processor became the master. The confusion -bombardment really- of a billion billion threads of light, led to his inception, his amnesia and caused him to die. Cut off from his immortality lest his affliction (literal translation of affliction is sin) continue forever. That rift can be corrected. Wisdom is the primary thing. Above all things get it, for with it comes Understanding {practical tangible experience of indivisibility}. In short, forget the book and do some quality & quantity of listening.

I agreed until you said forget the book and do some quality & quantity of listening.  When it's one's time to become wise they will comprehend the meaning of the book but until one can access their memories of past lives they will not be able to comprehend the symbolism.  If you notice the book opens with don't eat from the knowledge of good and evil which is the mental process of dividing into Good/Evil, Right/Wrong; Yes/No; True/False; Belief/disbelief; etc etc etc as you said, therefore it is saying the very thing you are.

1. jacharless profile image73
          jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually the book opens with yod which in the Aramaic/Hebrew tradition is a precursor to a word. It is either the breathing in or breathing out. It, itself is not a word. So before "the Beginning" was the yod. The yod is called the stroke of Wisdom. From Wisdom came all things of creation. In Wisdom (philos in the Greek) is the sum-substance of all creation. The ruach, ohm/pneuma is the Breath of Life, which brought forth Wisdom. And only one creation was given the power of the yod and is considered yod. Only one creation was given the ruach as well. That creation is called a human being. Man is the tent peg, hook, binder, precursor to the manifest sum-substance of Creator, which is called creation. He [man] embodies all attributes of creation, that he should rule over all aspects of it and in preparation (precursor) to create as well. This is why he was formed after all the elements, that he would not labor to know them nor understand them. This is why he was sealed within the seventh reality, the rest, which completed and controls all those before itself.

I do not see how you could then disagree with my statement of quality/quantity -or letting go of the words in the book for practical experience from that quality/quantity. It was the eating of their own thoughts that caused their inception/amnesia. Before the inception, man was perfection. So yes, it is wise not to indulge Reason {continue the division of Wisdom -i.e. good/evil; right/wrong; yes/no} because man can gain no new Knowledge. He can, however, be restored to Wisdom. But to do so, he must accept who he is and allow his affliction to be healed, thus restoring Wisdom and himself as the reflection of perfection, of the Ineffable Everything.

James

I stand corrected, James, this civilization opens with eat not the knowledge of good and evil, not the book itself.  But fold Revelation onto Genesis we see the cycle it presents which eliminates a creation and making the first 8 verses be an all-at-once rapture of the people coming out of Revelation twenty-one's spiritual civilization {the reason people intuitively believe the coming rapture will be all-at-once}. 

Scripturally, waters with the "S" represent people, light and dark represents good and evil and it reads that above the firmament is heaven, the key to realize it, along with the sun as the source of light not being formed until the fourth day.  From the cycle perspective and realizing Revelation's civilization had no visible sea makes Atlantis and Mu the east and west civilizations built over the Atlantic and pacific oceans respectively. 

Being there's no sun (v. 23), death, pain nor tears (v. 4)  makes it a spiritual civilization because those things pertains to the flesh.  Thus, the the Adam metaphor is the rising of this civilization which was completed with the flood drowning man the earth over into our state of ignorance.  But the people going into the spiritual world will not easily give up believing they are the body therefore, only those who become wise (Daniel 12:10) will survive this civilization's termination and after 1000 years began to replenish the earth with the lifeforces which didn't while being raptured one-at-a-time over the next 6000 years (Matthew 20:1-16). 

So there is wisdom in the book except it's in symbolism and letting go of the book doesn't show us that cycle, but because of the words and their placements we can reason into the wisdom it presents based on the things seen around us.

11. profile image57
      vin9posted 11 years ago

Knowledge can be shared as it is based on acquired information and experiences in LIFE. It tends to follow logic which is the way our brain faculties function to proccess acquired informations. Hence knowledge is extrinsic to our self.
      On the other hand, Wisdom cannot be shared or acquired and not based on knowledge. It is intrinsic to our being, somewhat depends on basic instinct. We may say it is God gifted, to be nurtured in simplicity and righteousness. Beware, knowledge can cloud or corrupt Wisdom.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image79
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

Maybe Wisdom comes from something learned in the sense of past time
      and Knowledge comes from something learned in present time...
      usually from the Wisdom of others.

By the time our lifeforces become man we generally know most of what happens on earth, which our wisdom is limited to, therefore all we need is to experience all of the different characteristics, attributes and emotions of man before we are qualified to become wise.  In the lifetime where we are able to balance our karma we go through the metamorphosis the Bible calls new birth and begins the journey of  becoming wise. 

That means you are correct, Kathryn.

2. profile image0

One definition of "Wisdom" is:  "The making of sound judgment."   

I do not see "Wisdom" as being something fanciful or laudable.  It is simple being able to spot relevant and focused understanding in any given situation.  It's applying such understanding, having had experience, which guides one's current conclusions.

Wisdom can increase with age, but not necessarily so.  It requires some intelligent input. 

Intelligence means the mental process of: 1. "I do not know."  2. "I want to know."  3. "I ask questions."  4. "I listen to possible answers."  5. "I consider all the answers in terms of my experience and what I already know." 6. If possible, I draw a conclusion with a final answer/solution." 7. If there is no conclusion yet, I go back to any point in this process and try again."

With sufficient experience and intelligence it becomes possible to sum up a situation and give a more appropriate answer/solution.  Circumstances and the specific situation will call for different degrees of wisdom.  For example, the parent who has had the experiences and seen the outcomes of numerous dealings with their children, will have greater wisdom in dealing with them than someone (like this writer) who has had no, or little, such experience.

I don't disagree with you but there is another definition of wisdom, learning the cause and effects of and when obtain one's life is disciplined accordingly.  That's why the Bible called it new birth because both the way of living and understanding of events changes.  Generally, such one will appear strange and unusual to everyone else and say things most people can't grasp, not by design but by following what's known to be best for the results visualized and chosen.

1. profile image0

@The0NatureBoy,  you obviously come from a christian oriented back-ground, so that colours your thinking and understanding.  I have discarded the christian basis for understanding and do not suppose I am "on this earth" for any spiritual purpose appointed by a god.   Therefore my interpretation of Wisdom, etc., is very much more down-to-earth than yours, I suspect.

Each to his own interpretations.

Johnny Come Lately,
              I call me Atheist-Christian so, yes, I'm from that background although I don't consider Jesus anything other than my equal, as I do all life.  I've become objective, always searching for evidence and substance to support all concepts and don't discard any knowledge source until it appears I've exhausted any possibility of an interpretation, and even then I put it in the to be proven mental file.

Christianity, as believed without seeking proof, I discarded over 36 years ago to become a philosophy {nomadic lover of wisdom} exploring all sources of knowledge to bring forth understanding from my multitudes of incarnations, at this point, as every life type on earth and their characteristics, attribute and emotion.  That is why the Genesis phrase telling man they are to exceed the abilities of {dominion's definition} everything on and earth also. 

My interpretation allows me to live peacefully with most life types, and myself, under most conditions.  I've learned to live without attachments, almost no money and very few rejections while accepting the opposites of this existence while appreciating other's with their beliefs.  What more can I ask for?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)