How would you respond if someone stated they were created...

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (49 posts)
  1. ALL4JESUS profile image74
    ALL4JESUSposted 11 years ago

in the image of Satan?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would say that that goes against the word of God, and try to encourage that person that the Bible says we have a choice in which way our lives go.   That God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in Him can have eternal life.   "Whosoever" is how the Bible says it.   I'm a whosoever.   I believe that person is also a whosoever.

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd be flattered. After all, Lucifer was supposedly the most beautiful of all God's creations, so being compared to the most beautiful thing in existence would be a -hell- of a compliment.

c wut i did thar?

1. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant incomplete question..... when a number of people have responded to you, I would like to hear your answer.

1. ALL4JESUS profile image74
          ALL4JESUSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jonnycomelately -

Man was crafted with reason. We know we can choose - no one can deny that fact.

If we view the world logically we can see humans are special in one area - our intellect.

A great writer stated "Anytime someone invents a machine, writes a book, paints a landscape, enjoys a symphony, calculates a sum, or names a pet, he or she is proclaiming the fact that we are made in God’s image."

Unlike animals, as humans, made in God's image, we can create, we can think, we can choose.

God also created Lucifer also in his image but Lucifer made a choice. So the logic is simple - we were crafted in the image of God, as was Lucifer.

1. profile image0

There's some controversy as to whether Lucifer is specifically Satan.   However, the Bible does use Lucifer as a reference/description for Satan,  so I also sometimes use the two terms interchangeably.

Anyway, my point is that the person said they were created in the image of Satan.    Satan was/is an angel,  and I don't think there's any place that says angels were created in God's image.   Humans, however, were.     Big difference between angels and humans.
            If you have, or if you find, any clarifying Scriptures that say God created angels in His image, please let me know so I can search that out...?

2. profile image0

As you wish.... and thank you for your courtesy.

In my understanding, we are all "animals," no more, no less.  I see the intellect as just one aspect of our evolvement in the fight to survive and multiply. 

In my view, the presumption that we are "higher," or "more gifted," or "more important" than any other animal is false.  It has prompted our species to use this planet so, so, carelessly, so greedily, so selfishly.  In so doing, we have raped the land, the sea, the air.  We continue to do anything we want to, regardless of the consequences for other species.

When we come back to regarding ourselves having equal status with every other species then we will treat them with respect.  We will be united in the One-ness.  If our intellect cannot help us see the truth of what I have written, I ask you, honestly, what is the purpose of Intellect?

3. profile image0

You speak like a real salesman!  Full of empty -- whatever you want to call it..   Better be careful how I phrase it, might be inappropriate.

2. profile image0

Yeah I see what you did thar.
        Why would you want to respond that way?
        Don't you take these things seriously?
        Why is it funny or frivolous to think of someone stating that they were made in the image of Satan?   Don't you care about that person's mental well-being,  if not their spiritual well-being?
        Would you seriously tell that person they should be flattered to be like Lucifer?

1. profile image0
          riddle666posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If things have to be taken seriously, it is quite funny to think that a person claims to be made in the image of god and I seriously doubt his mental well being!

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
          Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Would you seriously tell that person they should be flattered to be like Lucifer?"

Well, yeah. That means I'm calling their beauty equivalent to the most beautiful thing in existence, even if said beautiful thing is the epitome of all evil. But the person being complimented is, obviously, not the root of all evil, so it's all good.

3. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 11 years agoin reply to this

it can be noted that the truth or falsity of a persons belief is immaterial, and the lesson conveyed through the story is the intended point; e.g. Jesus makes reference to Beelzebub (literally "Lord of the Flies") in Matthew 12:27 without committing himself to a belief in Baalzebub the god of Ekron (2 Kings 1:2).
        A stronger point however is that the nature of all parody is to demonstrate faulty thinking on the part of the persons parodied so comparison of the 1st Century Jewish ideas with the message of the parable suggests that it is exactly those ideas which are being criticized as much as those who believe them.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whether they said they were created in the image of Satan or they said they were created in the image of God, I would rapidly depart their presence.

4. taburkett profile image58
      taburkettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that's interesting - so why do you believe that?

5. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess I'd have to know their opinion of Satan before I could judge it as an attempt at an insult or compliment. What is he? Like a demi god, or something? I've been compared to lesser beings, never a mythological one. It couldn't be all bad.

1. profile image0

I suggest that the "satan" in your life is everything that holds you back from total consciousness, and tries to tell yourself that you cannot be part of the whole.
        This "satan" lies to you; magnifies your fears, your pride, your self-importance, and belittles your real abilities and your real beautiful nature. 
        Personalise this "satan" and call it him, if you like..... equally call it her.   But it's not a real person or "spirit" up there in the sky, out there in someone else.   It's right inside of you.  And therefore protected by you (and me, of course).

1. profile image0

So, in essense, the downside is we all are the image of Satan on a bad day?

1. profile image0

If you wish to say that, it's up to you, up to each one of us, free choice how we perceive.

I am really saying that it's no use trying to find a "Satan" outside of yourself.   Where would that "thing" live?  In ancient times they believe the "devil" lived in our gut; in our brains; in various parts of the body at different times.   What about the dark, forboding forest?  At the bottom of the lake?   One of the easiest places for us to imagine that "Satan" lives is in the life of another person.   That's much easier than imagining that bad stuff springs out of me. 

Of course I am talking in metaphor.   Trying to describe the feelings of guilt that each of us can entertain at times in our lives.  I personally do not subscribe to an actual ghost-like being residing in me, whether that be a "satanic" form or a "god" form.  All this is a very practical, day to day happening in my brain. 

Does this answer your question?  Or does it bring up all manner of other questions?

1. profile image0

Sorry for any confusion. I agree with you. My response was somewhere along the lines of the old saying 'Only God is good'. Spiritual darkness is a choice we make; falsely believing that we achieve a level of security and comfort by not facing the darkness in ourselves. Building a fantasy world where there are cosmic cops and robbers serves no purpose but to allow ourselves to ignore the light in others and slowly extinquish the light in ourselves.

On a bad day, when I don't take into account the needs of another human being; when I trivialize them in some way I do think that is the image of 'Satan'. There is a darkness inside of me that is the antithesis to what I consider would be behavior borne of enlightenment.

1. profile image0

Thank you for that insight, Emile.  I really  do feel that we all will get much more - enlightenment - out of these Hubs when we begin to look honestly and closely at our inner truths.

This can be done regardless of our chosen religion, or "faith."   No one needs to drop their way of worship, or their morals, or their beliefs in order to do such an exercise.

6. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would say "Yes dear.  That's nice"

And continue doing what I was doing in the first place.

Then they could go on to find a religious nut that would actually care about their nonsense.

1. MissJamieD profile image54
        MissJamieDposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol..that's a good reply.

7. Titen-Sxull profile image72
      Titen-Sxullposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Satan was an angel, and though not explicitly stated in scripture it is implied that angels are either humanoid or can take human shape themselves. There is an angel guarding Eden after the Fall as well as angels at the tomb of Jesus. Artistic interpretations throughout the centuries have further fueled the idea that angels are humanoid (other than the sort seen in Ezekiel's vision).

So one might assume that angels, like man, were made in God's image, and thus in a roundabout way human beings might have been made in the image of Satan.

A disclaimer here that I don't believe in God, or Satan, or angels and that the idea that ANYONE living today was created by a supernatural entity is laughable. Everyone alive today is the result of natural procreation, your parents created you, and as near as we can tell, as far back as we can go into the fossil record, no supernatural intervention was ever made to help create humans (or any life).

So if someone told me they were made in the image of Satan I'd have to disagree on the same grounds as those who tell me God created them.

1. profile image0

Everyone alive today, yes, is the result of procreation.
        But where did the first human come from?

1. Titen-Sxull profile image72

I'd rather not derail this thread into a discussion on evolution, but that's the answer, the first humans evolved, gradually, from non-human ancestors. Likely there is no exact moment in the speciation of humans from our non-human ancestors where we'd be able to definitively say "and NOW they're officially human!".

Life is natural, it's complex chemistry, it needs no supernatural explanations.

1. profile image0

That's what I figured.  No definitive answer at all.
            Indeed we do need supernatural answers when natural answers aren't possible.

1. Titen-Sxull profile image72

When have natural explanations ever been impossible? Every time we've looked for an answer to a question about nature we have found a natural answer. Every time we've settled for a supernatural answer it has been proved wrong and supplanted by a natural one.

2. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're joking right? Because we don't have a name for the first human some 200,000 years ago, you need to assume Genesis is correct? Okay, his name was Richard and his wifes name was Laura and they lived in Africa with there three kids.

2. taburkett profile image58
          taburkettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

answer - the greatest scientist ever.

8. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That depends on how well yo know this person. If it's someone you don't know then don't respond at all. They don't deserve a response. If it someone you barely know then don't respond as you don't need people like that in your life, move on. If it's someone you know well, ask for clarification and make sure they are on their meds.

2. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

According to the Judeo-Christian Bible there is supposed to be such a man as the antichrist.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I would respond the same way I would to someone claiming to be made in the image of some magic man in the sky. I would inform them that they were made in their parent's and family's image, no one else's.

4. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

....... in a test tube.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I would assume they were just desperate for attention.

6. profile image0
    Spikologyposted 11 years ago

I would run. Nothing good can follow when someone says that.

7. 4FoodSafety profile image62
    4FoodSafetyposted 11 years ago

I responded silently with prayer. And have almost every hour since I first heard those horrible words.

I ask for all of us to pray - both for her and those who share her views and who don't have the light of God in their lives.

In my prayers, I ask specifically that she might find the light of Christ in her life.

She was created by God in God's image.

I pray that someday someone invites her to church and she not only learns of God's love but feels God's abundant love.

We are all of God and God is within us.

And so I pray...

Blessings.

1. profile image0

Who are you praying for? Call me self absorbed, but I have this queasy feeling you were talking about me.

1. profile image0

Saying such things helps him/her/them to feel better about themselves, that's all.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

It's amazing how often "I'm praying for you" sounds like "I am obviously holier than thou, so I shall bestow my blessings upon you with a prayer.  See how much Godlier I am than you?  Bask in my devoutness while you wallow at my oil-anointed feet.  You, a mere mortal who is destined to burn eternally in hell, might possibly be saved as I have taken the time out of my busy day to ask God- who is just slightly higher on the chain of Righteousness than I -to have pity on your poor pathetic ignorant soul."

1. profile image0

++   I am ashamed to say this, but I did the same some years ago.

I never did... although I once told my ex that he needed to find Jesus.

People with ridiculously low self-esteem tend to have their ego (a completely different thing) inflated by believing the creator of everything is their very best friend and loves them most.

Deep down they know they aren't worth of any love let alone the love of a deity... so they project that unworthiness on others that they view as less devout than themselves.

Sort of a "I know I'm a piece of crap but at least I'm better than you" thing.

Or they just want to be sarcastic asses... which was likely the case with you eh? wink

1. profile image0

No... that was honestly me, about 35 years ago.  I had come through "the church" during my early years, trying to find someone who understood my difficulties in communicating face to face.   I found some friendship within the various churches I tried, and went along with "what they did," which was to go to gay bars and try to coax lonely guys into believing what I (We) believed about Jesus.  I swallowed the bait,  and it also required me to gag on my own good sense.

However, the experience did do me good, in that it has allowed me to understand something of what drives evangelicals.  They can well pray for me, but it's nothing compared with the sorrow I have for them....knowing they will find nothing in the "hereafter."   What a wasted life!

I don't know... I believe in a hereafter and I don't consider my life wasted wink

But no I understand what you're saying.

There are some that can handle an "alleged" relationship with God and be humbled and grateful.  They want to please God like children want to please their parents. 

Then others treat it like their relationship with God gives them some sort of leverage over other people.  Sort of like having a hitman on your payroll or a politician in your pocket.  It's disgusting.

8. ALL4JESUS profile image74
    ALL4JESUSposted 11 years ago

Thank you all for sharing.

It is through our differences and our communication that we grow - grow together.

Thank you for allowing me to hear this forum and to be a part of it - it has been most illuminating.

Blessings to all my fellow Hubbers.

9. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

Regarding the title of this Discussion, "How would you respond if someone stated they were created..."  I would happily join a discussion with them; not to try and change their mind, but to hear their story and try to find out what makes them tick --- and be their equal.

10. LauraD093 profile image71
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

"Judge not lest you be judged." Right? I would find it interesting to see if the person was just being controversial in making the statement or was bonkers or was making a direct pun to the theory we are all created in God's image or etc. Sometimes the greatest knowledge can come from a totally different belief system.

11. LauraD093 profile image71
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

Oops forgot to add-I wonder if this question was changed to If a person stated he was created in Mickey Mouse's image if it would have as many comments? Theological discussion is always hot on hub.

12. profile image53
    arussfamposted 11 years ago

Lost people ask questions. Humans cannot explain God. God must open your eyes and then you will see. God is not to be questioned or doubted. God is to be praised at all times for all things whether we like them or not. God does what God wants to. Through His son Jesus Christ you can be saved and have life everlasting. It has nothing to do with beliefs and ceremonies and rituals made up by man. When the Holy Spirit of the Lord truly enters your heart you will know it, and so will other people and you will have all the answers you need.

1. profile image0

And yet you believe it!   So how can it have "nothing to do with belief?"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)