jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can we get control over our egos

1. banzaiboy profile image82
    banzaiboyposted 7 years ago

How can we get control over our egos

I have looked online and found almost nothing, so there is a niche need right there.

2. Austinstar profile image89
    Austinstarposted 7 years ago

Volunteer to work with handicapped folks.

3. Fenixfan profile image95
    Fenixfanposted 7 years ago

My experience with people's egos is that they are usually driven by want or need. Desire's can get us in trouble. The best answer I have for how to get control over your ego is a nice serving of humble pie. Go to places like nursing homes, hospitals, or soup kitchens and see how others have disadvantages that they can do nothing about. There are subconscious acts of self ego, but I believe those can be trained into being able to control them. I had a wake up call when my wife divorced me. I had to come to terms with the fact that I may not be who I thought I was. I took a step back, traveled, made new friends and tried to be a better person only to come back to the same place. People are who they are. It's hard to ignore our desires or ways we treat other, so we have to make it a habit rather than rely on what we think is best in our point of view. I read a lot of Sigmund Freud's theories, which I suggest if you are looking to delve deeper into the subject.

4. kmacox profile image57
    kmacoxposted 7 years ago

Be more watchful of your thoughts, do nothing just watch, after a while you might realise that this voice in your head is not you because you are obviously able to watch it without getting involved, that is the ego, at the beginning there will be even more thoughts you might think you are going mad, you're not it just you never paid attention.  If you keep at it you will start questioning who you are, if you are not that voice in your head then who are? It will lead you to doubt this ego, the more you watch it the less you will identify with it, the less of your energy/attention you give it the more it will start to disappear or to put it better it will be back in its place, there for you to use in daily life only when needed. Try it, your ego is not to be controlled as such, it is to be seen through, it is not the real you, once you have really seen through it then you must find out who or what you really are.
    Love K