jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How attached are you to your opinions? Think hard before posting this...and be h

1. Aley Martin profile image78
    Aley Martinposted 7 years ago

How attached are you to your opinions? Think hard before posting this...and be honest!

Ethics and Values teacher

2. micadeolu profile image49
    micadeoluposted 7 years ago

I am very realistic and firm in my opinion especially when I am dealing with those who think they possess some almighty knowledge. But as you know, things are easier said than done, I flip at times and do the opposite then later retrace my steps. I guess it is because we are still humans and influenced by our limitations.

3. ExpandYourMind profile image74
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

I am not too firmly attached; in fact, I often invite debate and dialog.  A different viewpoint may expose an angle worth considering.

4. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Very, but there's a reason for that:  It takes a real lot for me to call something my "opinion" or "conclusion".  I need to have plenty of evidence and back-up information and whatever else it takes before I'll feel confident in calling my take on one matter or another "my opinion".    In other words, I have a really high bar for calling anything my "opinion", rather than expressing whatever I'm "leaning toward thinking" as "I think there's a good chance that..." or "I may be wrong, but....". 

That means my opinion is either well informed and backed up, or else it's a matter of a personal preference (like, "I think mauve is the prettiest color).  My preferences may change over time, but unless/until they do; I'm not going to change the opinion that mauve is a pretty color.

So, having explained all that:  I'm pretty darned attached to my opinions (but mostly because before I'll pass them off as "opinions" I need to know they're not just my "opinion".   smile

5. justom profile image71
    justomposted 7 years ago

I own them, they're mine so why wouldn't I be attached to them. They are only opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs.

6. FloBe profile image80
    FloBeposted 7 years ago

I am very "attached" to the things that I firmly believe to be right. Everything else is negotiable...in fact, I'm always looking for more information and want to learn all I can in order to find the right answer. Sometimes if I'm with someone who has a very strong opinion, I will play devil's advocate and take the other side just to bring balance to the idea.

7. pennyofheaven profile image78
    pennyofheavenposted 7 years ago

Not at all. With my limited knowledge, my opinions are subject to change any time new information comes to the fore.

8. skip55 profile image82
    skip55posted 7 years ago

I am strongly attached to my opinions. My opinions are a great part of my inside community and I would rather listen to myself than the majority. Also, I love debate. Let someone disagree with me and I will eat out of their hand. I just might learn something along the way also and also have my opinion altered. Since I began reading literary authors I have had my opinion altered over and over again. I can trust those people.

9. shogan profile image83
    shoganposted 7 years ago

Not much.  In fact, you can have mine if you want them.

working