jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

If there's an exception to every rule is there an exception to that rule?

1. maticmagister profile image60
    maticmagisterposted 7 years ago

If there's an exception to every rule is there an exception to that rule?

2. andydurling profile image59
    andydurlingposted 7 years ago

yes, except for the rule that rules out exceptions...

3. Gabriel Wilson profile image94
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 7 years ago

The answer is in your question. If there's an exception to every rule, then every rule can have an exception. Thus all exceptions with rules are simply all rules with exceptions. In other words: Yes!

4. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Yes, by definition of your explanation, it answers itself.

i.e.  You state if there is an exception to every rule then every rule must, by your own definition, have an exception including contradicting itself.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I think you're onto something.  You realize, that if you have no pattern to things, that that too is a pattern, right?  Nevermind, I'm a . . ..little crazy.

6. peterxdunn profile image61
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

An exception to the rule that all rules must have exceptions would imply that the original premise (in your question) cannot be true.

There are two lessons to be learnt here.

The first is that we (aspiring writers) need to be very careful: semantically, when using words that infer an absolute state - words like, 'all' or 'every' - we need to be sure that sentences containing these words do so logically.

The second thing to take away from this is - if you are going to make an exception to a rule then don't get caught. If you can manage this - without exception - then you should live long and prosper.

7. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

In response to the question, "If there's an exception to every rule is there an exception to that rule?" I'd say the answer is:  "Oh, without exception."

8. Right On Time profile image62
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

A riddle! Of course there is, rules are made to be broken. I'm bad...bwahaha

9. Jarn profile image72
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

Yes, but not always.

And because Hubpages doesn't understand the value of brevity, please ignore this sentence.

working