jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)

When You've Grown Old?

1. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

When You've Grown Old?

When you've finally reached your elderly years what do you think will matter to you the most?

2. The Taco Tagger profile image60
    The Taco Taggerposted 6 years ago

I would give a cheesy answer and say "my friends, family, church, and so on" but in reality I'm pretty sure that when I get older the only thing I'll worry about the most is when I'll get to see my grandkids next or what book I'm going to get up and read on the front porch swing on the nice summer day with a cool lemonade beside me. Hopefully my wife will be doing something fun like... baking... who knows? It depends on how I turn out. I could be a lecherous old hump (this is more likely) that will pretend to be reading on the front porch swing with a cool lemonade on a nice summer day while I ogle the college girls in their bathing suits and short shorts, while my wife bakes and yells at me to top being a pervert.

3. Albert C Servin profile image59
    Albert C Servinposted 6 years ago

getting cheap depends
    and
    complaining about youngsters and their music
    and more complaining about how stuff used to be done in the good ol days

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I think that family is what matters most at that age - at least it's what mattered most to my grandparents.

Now, me - I don't have any children, and have never been married - so I wonder if I remain single if I'll be so concerned about family, having none of my own outside the siblings and their children.

5. Bubblegum Senpai profile image89
    Bubblegum Senpaiposted 6 years ago

Honestly, I think what will matter to me most is being able to change my own diapers, and how my kids will treat me.

6. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago

My elder years are not that far off. I have worked in Geriatric health care, and I imagine that what will matter the most is where that cute, young CNA has been for the last hour while I've had to go to the Toidy!

7. Deborah-Diane profile image83
    Deborah-Dianeposted 6 years ago

I'm in my 60s, and I suppose some people would think of that as elderly.  The things I value the most are my family and the great memories I have of the fun things I have done over the years.  For me, a perfect evening is spending time with a family member, remembering some of the great things we have done in the past!

8. Borsia profile image43
    Borsiaposted 6 years ago

Energy and money.
    I am closer than I like to think to old age and spend all my time in the 3rd world countries acting foolish and chasing younger women. So I would hope that I can still catch them for a few more years.
    After that I am hoping to land one who is sweet enough to care and strong enough to take care.

9. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 6 years ago

We go through different stages of life.

Even though our bodies may grow old as we aged but in mind we can still be young.

I always believe that we can be a part of our children's lives and do interesting stuff. Communication with the younger ones are important to be a part of old age. If we do not be active then everything may come as standstill... Then life might becomes meaningless.

So, as a part of growing old, what matters will be able to enjoy life together with the children and seeing them forming their own family.

The joy of witnessing the birth of their children and watching them growing up will be the last chapter of our lives.

That is the cycle of human lives.

10. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

The memories that I have spent a lifetime building will be the single greatest treasures of my old and feeble age.

11. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

It will matter to me whether I've achieved the goals I set for myself; if I haven't  I'd still like to try.

12. lea86 profile image57
    lea86posted 6 years ago

When I realized that life is meaningful, relationship is wonderful, friendship is priceless and when I feel that God is there in me, and where I know that there is other great universe than earth.

13. lambservant profile image92
    lambservantposted 6 years ago

My attitude on being old and passing on faith and wisdom to those younger than me. I don't want to wither up and mourn my last years on this earth.

14. seriousnuts profile image67
    seriousnutsposted 6 years ago

Family and Friends.

Funny how everyone seems to know what is the most important thing in their lives. But they still focus on other things early in life, such as money and career. However, without the material goods, we won't be able to truly enjoy our family and friends in later life. People prefer to work first and enjoy later. Sadly, others had focused too much on the wrong things and neglect their loved ones.

15. Le_connaisseur profile image59
    Le_connaisseurposted 6 years ago

I would probably think of my whole life and see if I lived a good life or not. I would worry a little bit about the future of my grandchildren. But I would worry a lot about life after death. I would ask myself questions about death. I would try to help random people as well. I would try to live the last years of my life as good as I can.

16. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 6 years ago

The years to come... how many will there be?

17. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

I've already reached that stage and what matters to me most is what has mattered for quite a long time now: teaching what I know to be important - our own personal spirituality; yes, bereft of religion; teaching Self-knowledge.

18. Dawn the Chip profile image58
    Dawn the Chipposted 6 years ago

That you can look back and know you have done the best you can. That you have tried to do all the things in your life, so you don't have to sit and think 'I wish' this or 'wish that'
    That the people you have raised are happy and healthy.

working