Why do Black preachers dress in expensive clothes, drive expensive cars and live

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. tHErEDpILL profile image82
    tHErEDpILLposted 12 years ago

Why do Black preachers dress in expensive clothes, drive expensive cars and live in expensive homes?

i am not being racist or stereotypical here, this is a fact.  I am a black man and I can tell you that this is a fact.  Most of them do.  But why?  Shouldn't they be using this extra money they seem to have on something more...I don't know righteous?  I think most religious "leaders" are charlatans, no matter what the race.  how do you guys feel?

2. bethperry profile image84
    bethperryposted 12 years ago

I reckon I may not be the right person to answer this as I've known one black minister and a black priest and neither dressed overboard or outrageously. They were just nice men.

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

What you have described happens to take place in several religions or demonations and there are "preachers" of other races that do the same....let's not forget the private planes and limo's.  Why does it happen, I don't know...I can even imagine, but the vast majority of the true men and women of God are just everyday kind of people following a passion and a calling.

4. Cathy I profile image66
    Cathy Iposted 12 years ago

Sorry..you are indeed stereotyping your own race.  You are also contradicting yourself as your question says..."Why do black preachers..." and then in your explanation you say "Most of them do". 

You said this is a fact but you did not provide any information to support that statement. I know Black priests do not live that lifestyle and I know pastors who don't live that lifestyle.  However, I have read of pastors of other races who live such lifestyles...Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart and others.

Maybe you are hanging out in the wrong churches.

5. LittlePayday profile image60
    LittlePaydayposted 12 years ago

"i am not being racist or stereotypical here, this is a fact"

oh but indeed sir, you are, you are also generalizing an entire group of people of which I'm sure you have not had the opportunity to meet on an individual basis.

6. cooldad profile image61
    cooldadposted 12 years ago

I don't think you are being racist at all, I think you are being observant.  I had a friend I grew up with whose dad was a black preacher in a church in the ghetto.

In the early 90's he made about $80K a year.  He had more mustard-colored suits than I ever knew existed.  I didn't even realize that mustard was a suit color until then.  Every member of their church was dirt poor.  That never made sense to me.

Like Ice Cube once said, "church ain't nothin' but a fashion show."

7. thomasczech profile image44
    thomasczechposted 12 years ago

Black preachers are not the only ones. Turn on the television and watch some of the TV evangelists and you will see them all in fancy clothing and if you dig further they all have fancy homes and cars. Yes Plural. One must be careful to stereotype any race, also it is important to show facts ie: name some of them. Tell us where you have seen this and who thay are and where from etc.

8. leroy64 profile image63
    leroy64posted 12 years ago

I heard heard the lifestyle justified by most evangelists, and a few pastors, by saying that money was a sign of God's blessing and they should not be ashamed of displays of wealth.  For the record, I grew up in an penecostal church that was mainly white.  I cannot find the biblical verses that back that up or condem it.  Honestly, I would refrain from making judgements on this until I knew the pastor in question.  Churches do have ways of addressing questionalble behavior, if you don't like what is going on you can leave, or withhold the tithe or dump the pastor.  It's your church, the pastor rarely stays for more than a few years, at least modern pastors don't.

9. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 12 years ago

I don't think this problem can be confined to only black preachers.  I see many white preachers living the same lifestyle.  Names escape me at the moment.  It does seem very hypocritical to live a lavish lifestyle as a follower of Jesus. You don't have to be poor, but sitting on jeweled chairs, living in mansions is contrary to the simple faith and lifestyle of a Christ-follower.

10. daskittlez69 profile image76
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

I do not believe it has anything to do with having dark colored skin.  I do believe that the ones that are putting on a show.  And when I say show I mean they are not true men of God.  There is a preacher that doesn't live all that far from me.  They have a huge church and she bought mansions for herself and one for each of her 3 kids.

11. lostdogrwd profile image61
    lostdogrwdposted 12 years ago

they learn to do that from white preachers who do the same and  before they did. they feel good for the fool who  give them there money and look at them  to get with God and learn God way instead of READING THE BIBLE   and learn for them self.

12. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

Hey, I say at least you can see where all of the tithe money is going. I say the same thing about Catholic Cathedrals where at least you can see where that money is being spent as well. The churches I worry about are those where the preacher dresses modestly. Does a shabbily-dressed preacher mean he's just spending the money on vacations, drugs, and prostitutes? Never trust a politician. Never trust a banker. And never trust a preacher. Just remember that at the end of the day, he's running a tax free for-profit business. So with that, I don't mind if he wants to flaunt it a little.

Oh, yeah; I almost forgot to say my obligatory statement of "It's not just black preachers that do it".

13. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 12 years ago

I would suggest taking a second look.  I know some really humble black preachers.  I am not a priest, but if I had to defend what you see, I would suggest:

Nice cloths attract other people. You want to have a nice congregation where people see you as the leader, then one may think that the nice expensive cloths will encourage the congregation to believe God is generous. ok that is a stretch, but I am trying:)

The big car is to aid the congregation with transportation, you konw taking the elderly home, and making sure they are comfortable.

The big home is for the nice Sunday dinner after church where the congregation and the family have personal time with thier leader. (That is possible). 

Who knows except the individual.  I know there are some charlatans, but if they knew the real rules about leadership and religion, they woudl know that they will have a not so pleasant fate in the end. 

I hope this helps.
    Best wishes

14. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

I have no idea but I suggest you take a look at some white preachers, too.  The phenomenon isn't color-restricted.

I've also known quite a few black pastors who dressed nice, neat and tidy, but not expensive.  They'd wear suits but suits from Sears or somewhere like that and off the rack, not tailored or custom made.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)