jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How do you definge beauty?

1. leroy64 profile image81
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

How do you definge beauty?

I find a lot of material defining beauty, too much actually.  My favorite material is John Ruskin's discussion in "The Seven Lamps of Architecture".  Ugly is not a polar opposite in Ruskin's point of view, just a violation of principle.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image76
    LeslieAdrienneposted 6 years ago

Never has it been ever said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

3. leroy64 profile image81
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

Is definge a word?  I meant define.   

One vote for subjectivity. Voted up!  Was that a quote from Shakespeare?

4. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

The ability to walk into a room and command recognition.............with no effort, for others to say.............Marge, Susan, Celese, Betty, Lucille .......Is here.

Some might call it : grace, dignity, self confidence, presence..............

The acceptance of your ownself, despite your acne ridden face, your heavy backside, your awkward height, your small breasts or the heaviness of them..........confidence in yourself, despite your shortcomings of flaws.

The ability to make the most of your assests, without "layers" of cosmetics.........being comfortable in being you.

5. ibbarkingmad profile image82
    ibbarkingmadposted 6 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but also beauty is in the eye of the culture. Culture specifies what is beautiful and what is not. For example, the beauty icon of the 60's was Marilyn Monroe but the beauty icon of the 70's was Twiggy. A friend told me that in some South American countries, the plumper the woman, the more attractive she is. The music from India is an example as well. I find the high nasally female singers anything but beautiful while the people of Idea consider it wonderful. Beauty is in the eye of the culture.

6. rikabothra profile image60
    rikabothraposted 6 years ago

When something attracts you, it is beauty. We will not consider something to be beautiful if it is not attractive to us. This is the reason while some people consider one thing/person as beautiful others might not. Beauty does not have to do just with outward apprearance but how you are inside as well.

7. wilbury4 profile image72
    wilbury4posted 6 years ago

It's simply that which one as an individual finds beautiful. Beautiful to one may not necessarily be beautiful to the next person, hence the term "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". This would also satisfy the term that "Ugly is not a polar oposite", again as ugliness to one is not necessarily ugliness to the next!

8. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

For me you can have different kinds of beauty. There is the obvious that attracts the eye, but as far as people are concerned you can also have an inner beauty that transforms an otherwise - perhaps - plain face. This inner beauty for me is more enduring. You also have the beauty of scenery/landscape and these produce different emotions from that of phsycial beauty.

I think though if we look hard enough there is beauty in many things and places that on first glance would seem to lack any.