jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why does man seek after God?

1. relevantreligion profile image59
    relevantreligionposted 6 years ago

Why does man seek after God?

2. mythicalstorm273 profile image80
    mythicalstorm273posted 6 years ago

I believe man seeks God for many reasons.  For one it is because it is a lonely world to think we are alone and when we die nothing happens to our souls but we just lay in a cold coffin and fade forever from existence.  It gives hope and reason to life.  People also need God to provide companionship... I mean religion is like a second family to a lot of people.  God brings the world together and when all else fails we can always fall back on God... I mean, I guess it was just meant to be, doesn't work if there is no greater being controlling everything.  Still it is a personal opinion as well.  Some people just do not think about the world they live in and just follow what their family and friends do.  So really God teaches morals, gives hope, provides reason, and can even be an excuse for this sad existence.  Humans need something more in most cases.  God provides that little extra something.

3. Nspeel profile image76
    Nspeelposted 6 years ago

Yes I believe man seeks god for many reasons as well. I can say you only find men seeking god when man has made a mistake. Why seek god after your mistake and not before your mistake, I don't know! Maybe to solve the problem they got their selves into... I do not believe in god but feel many people use it to make themselves feel better with who they are and what they are doing.

4. jcbmack profile image74
    jcbmackposted 6 years ago

That is a fascinating and deep question. I think that the genes recently found correlating, to a belief in God or atleast a higher power/cause plays part of the role. We also seek after God because as thinking, sentient beings we cannot answer everything with science or our own empircal methods. Religious beliefs and spiritual ones independent of religion go back tens of thousands of years and is therefor part of our evolution. Interestingly enough too, recent experimental evidence points to the possibility God in fact does exist. One scientist has calculated that the probability of God's existence is greater than chance (>50%) at around 65%. I would say then as a scientist who has faith, God is sought because he exists to be sought:)Even when I feel good and confident in my decisions,I still seek God myself. Happy hubbing!

5. whoisbid profile image77
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

I don't believe that man seeks after God. I believe that man seeks praise from other men. It will be great if I bump into someone one day who is truly seeking after God. I know that a lot of people say they are doing this and they "act" the part but I don't buy it.

6. Spencer Camus profile image64
    Spencer Camusposted 6 years ago

I can't give you the answer.

For interest purposes though, I can recommend the following book: The Golden Bough, by James Frazer (Fraser), in which he undertook studies of how religion and belief systems developed.

Very interesting!

working