Does a Christian woman have a biblical right to divorce her emotionally abusive

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 103 discussions (172 posts)
  1. MJ38 profile image55
    MJ38posted 9 years ago

Yes! I am a Christian, and the man I married is a ( supposedly) Christian. In fact, he even became a minister. However, after a few years of being cheated on, and emotionally abused, I finally filed for divorce. I've been divorced for 11 years now and I feel wonderful! I am free from a horrible trap! I don't believe God would want anyone to stay in an abusive relationship of any kind. God loves us and does not want to see us hurt. He provides a path for us to keep us safe and it is up to us to follow his path.

2. Brinafr3sh profile image79
    Brinafr3shposted 9 years ago

I think it's alright to divorce because he's killing the marriage with his abusive behavior. Separation for marriage is in the Bible, he can get counseling during the separation and the Christian woman as well. The term "Until death do us part," is when the marriage is dead and the only thing that can give that marriage CPR is God, only if the two marriage partners are "willing" to give it a try again after Christian-counseling.

3. profile image52
    Southerncali girlposted 9 years ago

Yes.  GOD designed the union of man and wife for the betterment of both.  GOD does not want us to suffer or accept abuse as a part of life.  Pray to GOD, reach out to our savior Jesus, they are so reliable with guidance.  Also, speak with your Pastor, Priest etc for Biblical Guidance.

4. platinumOwl4 profile image73
    platinumOwl4posted 9 years ago

If I were a  woman,biblical rights would not be in the equation. No one should suffer any type of abuse due to some dogma formulated by men who had no respect for women!!!!
    if you can get out, pack up and don't look back.
    Bless You

5. BrendajofilySmith profile image55
    BrendajofilySmithposted 9 years ago

Yes for emotional abuse is as damaging as physical abuse Christian husbands are commanded by God to be kind to their wives

6. Bruce Lambert profile image56
    Bruce Lambertposted 9 years ago

God doesn't like divorce but it is allowed. if your husband is stopping your growth spiritually with God then maybe you should seperate but try to do it without any hatred especially if there are children envolved and make sure that you pray about it and let God lead you through it

7. poppyr profile image92
    poppyrposted 9 years ago

Religion has kept women in abusive relationships for centuries.  If you're unhappy, divorce him.  The bible shouldn't stop you being happy.

1. profile image52
      Southerncali girlposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I understand that view, however I do not agree.  The christian faith does not state anywhere to remain in an unHoly marriage, family or association of any kind.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Southerncali girl if someone strictly believes what  (1 Corinthians 7:39 ) states: "A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives." You can understand why some women (choose) to cop out and stay in unhappy marriages. Divorce is rarely easy.

3. profile image52

very good point dashingscorpio.

8. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

The only instances of divorce I've seen in the bible have to do with (men) divorcing their wives!
    I don't believe women were given the power to divorce men in the bible. It's not exactly a book known for equality.
    However that should be no surprise since none of the books included in the bible are written by women. King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. You'd never see any woman with 700 husbands and 300 boy-toys!
    Even today a woman in the Catholic church can't become a priest simply because she is a woman! Having said that I don't believe God would want anyone to stay in abusive marriage period.
    Truth be told everyone has always "cherry picked" the verses of scripture (they) want to follow. Leviticus 20-9 states:
    "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death"
    Exodus 31:15 "Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death."
    Not many Christians are following those scriptures these days!

9. profile image52
    farzanah shahposted 9 years ago

yes, this is enough reason to be divorced because marriage is a compatible,secret and honorable relationship of two persons man and women.and it lasts if both have respects for each other,if each person respect other and never hurts others self respect it (relationship) will grow like a tree who needs water and suitable environment to be grown,as well as marriage need love care and respect, if some one doesn't respect and hurts other self respect this relationship will shrivel and waste, so if you want longer relationship respects each others emotion and feelings,and don't try to hurt each other by words or any other way...take care calico

10. profile image58
    MatBenthinposted 9 years ago

You are asking the wrong question so you will obviously get the wrong answer.

11. Ben Kenber profile image60
    Ben Kenberposted 9 years ago

I would say yes because, regardless of what any religion says, no one needs to be in a marriage where one person treats the other in such a thoughtlessly poor fashion.

12. CidoCido profile image60
    CidoCidoposted 9 years ago

If she's really Christian then unfortunately, no. All the poor woman can do is praise her God for help and always be ready to show another cheek. That is why religion is slowly leaving our society.

1. profile image52

actually, the christian faith does not encourage misery.  the faith is based on a loving, caring, forgiving God.  nowhere does it state to remain in a marriage that has turned into anything unGodly.

13. yanka24 profile image60
    yanka24posted 9 years ago

I am christian and i know that a woman can't divorce her husband unless he cheated on her.

1. Rhoda Talisaysay profile image61
      Rhoda Talisaysayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Abuse is a character of a cheater.... cheating is not meant sexual only.

14. profile image0
    Pastor Wolfeposted 9 years ago

Women have every right to divorce and remarry! If you knew the truth about the belief you would see that the answer for this question would be a hard yes even if the bible said other wise! Women are just as equal as men and no woman should be treated as if she is below man!

1. profile image52

thank you Pastor for stating truth!!

2. profile image0
      Pastor Wolfeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome Southerncali girl

3. profile image50
      what un4posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The answer is No.  You can not find in the bible where it states anywhere that a woman is to give a man the certificate of divorce.  That is only man's law to create equality between the two genders. 
      Marriage is left up to us From God.

15. leahgalindo profile image59
    leahgalindoposted 9 years ago

I was married to a very abusive, controlling man, and struggled with this myself...I prayed and asked God for guidance.  Only you know your situation and only God knows your heart and only He can judge you.  Actually the bible speaks throughout about this, Corinthians 7:15 But if the unbeliever leaves let him do so.  A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.  How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband?  Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?  Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him.  This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. Was a man already circumcised when he was called?  He should not become uncircumcised.  Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised.  Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcised is nothing.  Keeping God's commands is what count.  Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him.  Where you a slave when you were called?  Don't let it trouble you- although if you can gain your freedom, do so.  For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave.  You were bought at a price; do not becomes slaves of men.  Brothers, each man as responsible to God should remain in the situation God called him to.   
    This is saying if you can gain your freedom gain it our freedom was paid at the price of Christ's Life for our sins to be forgiven and to be no slave of any man.  A slave a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person: Proverbs 30:23 under three things the earth trembles under four it cannot bear up a searvant wo becomes king a fool who is full of food an unloved woman who is married and a madservant who displaces her mistress.
    In my opinion you can't love someone that abuses their spouse or have love for yourself that matter...love is patient love is kind love does envy it does not boast it is not proud it is not rude it is not self seeking it is not easily angered it keeps no record of wrongs love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth it always protects always trusts always hopes always perseveres love never fails I would never say yep go get a divorce but do everything you can maybe church therapy before a divorce

16. Yvonne40 profile image54
    Yvonne40posted 9 years ago

You can believe that God will change him but, talking from experience it's up to your spouse. If your spouse wants to change, sincerely wants to change, then yes God can come in and do a miracle. But on the other hand, if your spouse is giving you lip service, but in his heart he really doesn't, than no he's not going to change. God will not go past our will. Please remember that. Your spouse has free will, what ever he wants, that's what God will honor.

17. Cordelia Bay profile image60
    Cordelia Bayposted 9 years ago

I have experience both emotional and physical abuse at the hand of a man, or his words. Neither is acceptable...but, somehow one wants to believe that the other will change...change is possible but not probable. One wants to believe, but my advice is to get out of the situation...that however, does not mean that the life immediately following the separation from the abuse will be easy, but it will get better.

18. Jennifer Bart profile image60
    Jennifer Bartposted 9 years ago

Being that he is abusive should be enough the word of god tells us that the man should treat the women with respect if he is not treating you the way you deserve to be treated respect yourself enough to do what is right for you.

19. kabedi profile image60
    kabediposted 9 years ago

sister
    I don't think that I wright to divorce but when it come to abusive for the sake of your life you can .
    but you should never be married by another man while the abusive one will be leaving

20. David Oyog profile image60
    David Oyogposted 9 years ago

My answer would be, yes. Jesus said, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. So now you must ask, Is his heart hardened? Is my heart hardened? If the answer is yes on both counts then yes you have a biblical right to divorce.

Now if you want supernatural transformation the transformation must come from within yourself. When you change it forces everything in your world to change just to keep up with you or they fall away. Weigh it in the balance.

1. Oscarlites profile image69
      Oscarlitesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

David, Kudos!   you hit something, whether original or not.  IF one can substantiate a true change and have the force, will or ??  to carry it through.. however some are trapped in abusive relationships from inner beliefs, fears and low esteem.

2. David Oyog profile image60
      David Oyogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I thought about another thing.  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.  There something you can do.  That

21. thunkfulthinker profile image61
    thunkfulthinkerposted 9 years ago

Any woman has the right to do what's best for her regardless of religion. Religion shouldn't play a factor in you making decisions about your well-being.

22. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

Yes.  He vowed to love you and care for you.  His actions have proved that he doesn't know what that means.  All the best to you.

23. kndashy41 profile image74
    kndashy41posted 9 years ago

I think the correct question is "Would God want you to remain in a toxic situation?"  If God values you and wants you to" have life and have it more abundantly", then why wouldn't you want the best for yourself?  What do you get out of a horrible situation?  Jesus paid the price so we could value ourselves as He values us.  Don't continue to punish yourself.  God will intervene on behalf of your husband, in God's time, not yours.  Do the next right thing, in the meantime... Love yourself as God loves you.  That's my two cents.

24. DaisysJourney profile image69
    DaisysJourneyposted 9 years ago

Hasn't the abusive spouse already emotionally abandoned the one abused, therefore divorcing himself from that person?  I think somewhere in the Bible it says if the man seeks a divorce, give it to him rather than fight it.

"I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel, "and I hate a man's covering himself with violence as well as with his garment," says the LORD Almighty. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith." Malachi 2:16 (I interpret this to mean that violence is WORSE than divorce)

I can't find the specific verse I want, but I do think that abuse, of any sort, is grounds for divorce and that God would not condemn that person.  The Bible says the man is supposed to love his wife as he loves himself.  In abusing her, he has sinned against God and his wife; he has abandoned her emotionally and he has chosen to split asunder that which God joined.

And not to be flippant, but since abuse is not talked about in the Bible in this context and even the more fundamentalist church has become more permissive with divorce, I say if the man is abusive, divorce him now so you are safe and ALIVE and ask forgiveness from God later.

25. profile image0
    promisemposted 9 years ago

Does God think a woman should stay married to an abusive husband? I can't claim to know what He thinks, but I can't imagine His answer would be yes.

26. profile image51
    mstaudt01posted 9 years ago

This shouldn't be a complicated answer. It doesn't take much thought, God or Jesus are not going to want any person to be subjected to constant emotional abuse. Just because the Bible uses one statement to define grounds for a divorce, it doesn't eliminate other possibilities. Jesus taught about the heart of the law and that supersedes certain written statements when they conflict with common sense answers to questions like yours.

27. Rhoda Talisaysay profile image61
    Rhoda Talisaysayposted 9 years ago

It is a biblical law that a husband should love his wife, if he failed to do so then he waived his right on you. I don't believed that we are born to suffer for God intent us to enjoy life and no one is allowed to abuse anyone. Divorce is legal then it is legal in heaven for it has been said that whatever is accepted on earth then it is accepted in heaven, in other words , the law of the earth is the law in heaven.

28. RandallJonas profile image70
    RandallJonasposted 9 years ago

I thought yes of course, but I am not able to speak on behalf of the book. I looked for sources and did a bit of research for you and there is plenty. I think reading this will provide reference in the book -

http://www.compellingtruth.org/abuse-divorce.html

There are passages in Gen. Mat. Cor. Romans as I can see. There are no literal mentions of abuse but many interpretations.

29. Hendrika profile image68
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

Yes I am convinced of it. We are human unfortunately and make mistakes. An abusive husband will kill you in the end.

30. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 9 years ago

Wow. So many Christians that I have met believe that they are supposed to suffer in this life and put up with crappy husbands, despite the abuse they are receiving. I personally can't believe that god would want anyone to stay in an unhappy relationship.

31. krillco profile image86
    krillcoposted 9 years ago

Yes, if you read your Bible in a sane, rational fashion. God gave us brains for a reason. Those who read Scripture literally are in serious error.

1. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!  The Scripture says "WHAT GOD HAS JOINED TOGETHER..." Does anyone think that God joined anyone abusive together?  Does He makes mistakes?

32. TL Flanigan profile image61
    TL Flaniganposted 9 years ago

There is no single answer to this question.  Generically, I would definitely say yes, but there are many caveats to that answer.  First of all, what is defined as emotional abuse?  Wives and husbands, even in the best of circumstances, emotionally hurt each other from time, and often the healing that comes after such mistakes is what can lead a marriage to be of the strongest nature.  However, words such as hate, stupid, idiot, etc. that are genuinely damaging and constant and constant phrases that put someone down and make them feel inferior or unwanted.  I do not think it is God's intention that a woman (or a man, they are emotionally abused as well) to suffer through such horrible treatment. 
    My suggestion would be to remember the generic vows many people make, "What God hath put together, let no man tear asunder."  If anyone finds themselves in a situation where they feel emotionally abused to the point they are considering divorce, God has granted us the greatest solution.  Prayer.  Pray to your Father in Heaven and ask Him what do, and He will give you revelation both through His written word and through the Holy Spirit.  If God tells you to hold out for a change heart, move forward in faith, but if God tells you its time to move on, then get going.

33. CassandraCae profile image84
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

Biblical -- no but if you are in a relationship that has become abusive.....LEAVE NOW...it will never get better.  Nothing you can do but leaving will make it better.  They won't change no matter how much you pray.  God helps those that help themselves....never forget that.  We sin a lot.  You can be forgiven if it worries your soul to the point of eternal damnation.

34. Patrick Dunning profile image54
    Patrick Dunningposted 9 years ago

A "Christian woman" has little to no rights, according to her religion, especially when her husband is involved in the decision making.  You don't need the fairy tales.  Cast off the chains of religion and think for yourself.  The rest will fall in place.

35. profile image52
    Myawallaceposted 9 years ago

Leavvvvee him. Don't put up with madness.  My advice to everyone is; if you are going to marry someone, first pray to the Lord first about the person. I go to a prophetic church and my Bishop always tell the people , if you are going to be with someone , Let him see them first. So that God can reveal weather or not he/she is for you.

36. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years ago

Your question and most of the responses seem to suggest it's only husbands who emotionally abuse their wives.

Have you never considered that wives can emotionally abuse their husbands?   What is a husband to do if his wife ostracizes her partner, refuses him intimacy and sexual contact when he needs it?  What is he to do if his wife hits him, talks about him behind his back, bullies him? 

It cuts both ways when you say "partner," or "spouse," instead of "wife" or "husband."

1. profile image0

The percentage of wives abusing husbands are smaller than that of the abuse by the husbands, thus being totally worth focusing on. My suggestion is if you want to see a question about wives abusing husbands then ye should create one! Just saying....

2. Kylyssa profile image89
      Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. Flipping husband and wife in this question would make the answers different as women are regarded differently from men in the Bible. It would have to be a separate question and it would get some different answers.

37. nrsparks130 profile image61
    nrsparks130posted 9 years ago

The answer is unequivocally yes.  If your husband is emotionally abusive and refuses to change, than that is no different than physical abuse as you are an integrated person with value made in the image of God.  In fact, I believe Sin is a relational offense, that is to say, that all sin is an offense against some kind of relationship.  That being said, any kind of abuse in a marriage is to be unfaithful to the marriage because in Ephesians 5 the husband is called to love his wife as Christ loves the Church (and I swear on all that is in me, if someone comes back with "wives submit to your husbands" you will get the theological earful of your lifetime!  I didn't get my degree in Biblical Studies to tolerate that kind of ignorant and uninformed, one dimensional reading of Scripture).  Christ's love is a love without bounds and a love that goes to all necessary lengths for the good of the beloved.  It does not abuse or belittle, but uplifts and redeems at all times.

Likewise in 1 Peter 3 husbands are told that they are to be considerate of their wives as the weaker vessel.  While this statement is quite often decried by feminists, it should be noted that in the ancient world the husband was viewed as owning his family, especially the females in his household, and had the power of life and death over them if he chose.  As such, this passage says a great deal about the Christian husband and his responsibility to treat his wife with love and respect and to cherish her, and not to view her as property or abuse her.  This is a radical upheaval of the common worldview of the time.

As such, the Bible definitely does not condone abuse and would see such behavior as a violation of the marriage vow and a form of disloyalty to one's spouse, a breaking of the marriage covenant.  If anyone here doesn't think God takes a person's breaking of covenant seriously, see what happened to the Israelites when they broke their covenant with God. 

The reality is, while reconciliation is always the first and primary goal, if the other party refuses, sometimes your own emotional and mental safety is truly at stake.  Mental health and Physical health, despite the reigning stigma against such thinking, are equally important and virtually indistinguishable in so many ways.  As such, if your Mental health or safety are at stake, then it may be time to cut ties and do what is right for yourself.  God will not leave you in your time of need.

38. David Holcroft profile image54
    David Holcroftposted 9 years ago

um you haven't read the bible have you only a man can divorce a woman according to god you women exists for men i dont think that way personally 
    but its clearly stated all over the biblt

1. profile image0

LOL it's funny that you say that because it is nothing more than a book and has no power over man nor woman. I think they are better off doing what they wish to do regardless of how people may react. smile

39. Aunyanka profile image58
    Aunyankaposted 9 years ago

The bible states that the only acceptable reason for divorce is martial infidelity. Ask yourself this though, would your God expect you to go through this? Maybe he never intended you to marry this man at all, or maybe there is something you are supposed to learn or gain from this experience that is not immediately apparent. This is a question you should ask him, not us.

40. profile image0
    esatchelposted 9 years ago

The Bible was written by men. I think God is a "he" because men decided it was so. I think that is how men translated the concept of a higher being and I believe they skewed  beliefs to their advantage. Yes, I think an emotionally or physically abusive man has failed his responsibility, if one believes along those lines, and his contract with the wife is null and void.

Perhaps he is even using the trickery of the Devil. How do you like them apples when we point the finger in the other direction, you Man-Is-The-Head-Of-The_Household proponents out there.

41. Mishal333 profile image59
    Mishal333posted 9 years ago

Marriage is a life long bond, Bible allow divorce only in one case and that is  marital unfaithfulness. If a husband or a wife is emotionally abusing his/her spouse, first discus this matter and try to settle it within themselves, still if it is not working then ask the help of a spiritual father who both trusts and respects. Still, the emotional abuse continue then, better live separately, please note its not divorce, its living separately. Both of them cannot marry another till any of them are still alive as the bond is life long and the covenant cannot be broken.

If anyone live separately/ divorce his spouse for this reason and marry another, they are doing adultery. (Ref: Mathew. 5:31-32)

42. profile image0
    glutenfreegoddessposted 9 years ago

Yes,  you have a biblical right to get a divorce...See 1 Timothy 5:8 and 1 Corinthians 7:15.

1. Lisa Marie HSR profile image60
      Lisa Marie HSRposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1 Timothy:  God does call us to live in Peace...a divorce is contrary to that. Change begins with US!
      I Corinthians:  If her husband leaves her....then let the will of God be.  Again, Look within, the problem often lies there. Fireproof: the movie...

43. profile image50
    what un4posted 9 years ago

How quickly we forget.  Women only gained the right to petition for divorce in Western countries in the late 1800's and early 1900's. There are still a number of countries where women do not have the right to petition their husbands for divorce and must wait for him to do so.
    The bible and the world was aligned with one another until Western countries began to implement equality for both men and women.

Man's laws has changed. Giving the woman the right to petition for divorced. God's laws has not changed. Not and (I) nor (T) has been replaced.

God intended a man and woman stayed married until death.  Letting no man tear that union apart.  spiritually the only way for divorce is when a man petition to divorce his way not wife her husband (Matthew 5:32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.)  He give soul responsibility to the man for the marriage and being the spiritual leader of his house.

When a woman marries a man, it is very serious act to her and God.  She needs know and understand what she is promising God and her husband spiritually. 2 Corinthians 6:14 (Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?).. Do not look for chemistry in a person. Chemistry last only for a season.  Most important that you are equally yoked!
      Roman 7:2-3 (2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
      3). So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.)

This is very simple when you are a christian.  For a non believer this is hard to accept, not to understand.  When you have freedom by man's law, it easier to discredit God's laws and fulfill the desires of the flesh.

With all that being written by me.  My answer is no.

One more thing!  1 Corinthians 7:10-11 (10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:11. But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.) 
    This was Paul speaking.

44. Ben Aidoo profile image62
    Ben Aidooposted 9 years ago

The answer to your question is a value judgement. Regardless of religion women would make decisions that are in their best interest. Some women would leave at the first sign of abuse, some would stay genuinely believing they can change their husbands, some would stay because they believe their children would be better disciplined and emotionally balanced when raised in a two family home, some would stay because of financial, or religious reasons, and some would stay because they love their husbands and don't want to leave. For many women there is no simple solution to emotional abuse, but I would think a temporary separation from the husband would bring home to him that she's being hurt by his action, and it needs to stop; otherwise she would leave and not come back. That may be the trick that forces him to change his ways.

45. profile image57
    Jameson Cposted 9 years ago

Yes, God wants you to love your life, do not waste time, be the best person that you can be. Go!

46. Faithbook4 profile image60
    Faithbook4posted 9 years ago

I believe that it is clear in the bible that God did not make you to be abused, none of his children were meant to be abused, trust in your faith, acknowledge your worth, and give the rest to him.  God will give you the strength and the wisdom.

47. terryfyi profile image59
    terryfyiposted 9 years ago

If you try to resolve your differences through counselling and your husband either does not want to go, or does not  want to participate and doesn't care, then you should consider divorce.

Christianity or the bible has nothing to do with it, your happiness is the only thing that matters.

Remember, you have ony one life to live, so be happy and don't waste your time with a loser.

48. profile image48
    BerryBest1posted 9 years ago

Best Answer BerryBest1 says

The Bible says "evenly yoked" 2 Corinthians 6:14 . Now it speaks of non believers, but a person who is abusive with their fist or words can't be a believer...

Ephesians 5:11

Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

That is NOT evenly yolked.

No heavily father would want you to be persecuted in the name of a manmade union.

49. profile image61
    chevyssbowtieposted 9 years ago

@nrsparks130
    This is not shallow reading of scripture. God never ordained divorce, He meant for marriage to be permanent, until death. Moses gave the people the option for divorce because of the hard heartedness of the people, not because God said to.  So if a person does divorce they are not sinning but they are not permitted to re marry.  They must remain unmarried or be reconciled to Their spouse, no other options.
    So yes, if a person has an abusive relationship they can divorce but scripturally they must remain unmarried.

50. Lisa Marie HSR profile image60
    Lisa Marie HSRposted 9 years ago

God will never change...
    And He HATES divorce, 
    I lived in this situation for many years.  The Good News is,  Our God is Mighty to Save!
    The Bible is clear on how wives and husbands are to act towards one another.... Yet, there is NOT a verse stating that we can only obey God's Words as long as the other party starts first.
    Demonstrating God's love in the face of adversity is showing a soul potentially damned to hell what Jesus is about. 
    No, do not cower in a corner and mutter, "Woe is me."...
    The Christian life is that of a warrior!  We have to overcome much because we have an enemy that doesn't want the Truth to be known!
    How easy to show love for those who love us.  But, what about a person spitting in your face? 
    ACTIVELY showing Jesus...through selfless love...  breaks the chains!
    (((((((*******  FAITH  *******)))))))
    How do we achieve faith?  By hearing...and that is the Word of God.  Yes, our treasure chest full of gems for life, the Bible.  Given to us as a mighty weapon to defeat wickedness!
    Our God CREATED the Universe and everything in it...I KNOW He can change a heart of stone!  ALL the things are possible for those who believe!
    So, put on that Full Armour and amaze the lost ones of the world...go ahead turn your cheek and kiss them with a holy kiss.
    Change Lives! <3
    May God Bless Our Families!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)