Why is it that we are drawn to religious questions?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Hawkesdream profile image64
    Hawkesdreamposted 6 years ago

Why is it that we are drawn to religious questions?

I find myself drawn to religious questions. I am interested in the responses of others and also formulate my own response. The prolem I have is that, no matter how hard I try I cannot bring myself to respond. Are there others here who feel the same way?

2. donnaisabella profile image82
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

I do not feel the same way about it. However we cannot avoid religious questions because they are a part of us. So why, do you think it is so?

3. whonunuwho profile image76
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

Perhaps it is because the issue of religion is the most important thing in most peoples lives and affects the way they live and interact with others.

4. DrMikeFitz profile image57
    DrMikeFitzposted 6 years ago

The answer is likely the quest for the truth or answer to, "why am i here, and what is my purpose"?

by going back in time-most people could not read and were dirt poor. there were ONLY two classes of people on the planet-serf's and lords. obviously you were born into the "have" category, everyone else was a have not. since paper was expensive, only the clergy and wealthy people had a bible. so naturally people went to the clergy for answers-even to "simple" items such as an eclipse.

you might say for thousands of years, before google, people have been "trained" to seek religion for answers to questions. most people want to follow too, few wish to lead, discover.

the answer to your profound question in the end is quite simple. why you are here? is to be you. you matter, and were/are created with purpose. we are not taught to think big and approach this subject from the macros. it is simple to see purpose in nature and its complex balance-people are no different. you are here to be you-period. you are special in who you are and necessary-you help provide balance. when you look, you can find balance in everything. we are all a part of that. it is the fabric of creation at its infinitesimal essence.

5. profile image0
    mcals71posted 6 years ago

I agree with DrMikeFitz. Beautiful explanation at a deeper level. Perhaps it's a little intimidating to respond to questions or hubs of a religious nature because people don't wish to touch on personal sensibilities at the risk of starting heated or unpleasant debates. Maybe the risk of being challenged in one's religious beliefs is what's holding many of us back. It's understandable. I too feel drawn to religious questions and most of the times I share a response, if I think have one. It will be from my own experience and personal point of view, so it will be my response, my little contribution to the balance of the Universe. Maybe together, through our little contributions to the greater existential questions, we are creating a beautiful tapestry or mandala full of colors and diversity, light and shades, who knows.

6. CorinneCanada profile image58
    CorinneCanadaposted 6 years ago

Because we are anxious beings, to different degrees, and we need answers ot the questions that our relentless mind is always pounding us with, and we need reassurance, comfort, relief, that rational practical things cannot always give us.

7. Freeway Flyer profile image90
    Freeway Flyerposted 6 years ago

Because religions deal with the ultimate, universal questions: meaning, morality, mortality, cosmology, etc.

I feel no hesitation about discussing religious questions. I do not have a lot of patience, however, for religious discussions with most other people. Too often, it degenerates into an argument, and I have learned it is useless to try and reason with some people about religious matters. People gravitate toward beliefs that meet their needs, and few people want the foundations of their worldview to be shaken. And when people are motivated by a desire to evangelize, it is even more annoying. There is little point in talking to a person who has no interest in listening.

8. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 6 years ago

I think it is because religious views - whether for or against (like me) - are strongly held views. People do tend to go out to bat for something about which they are passionate and committed.

Hawkesdream: your inability to respond to these questions only indicates that you are uncommitted - that you haven't yet decided where you stand on these issues. You could try writing: here, about the inner conflicts that you are experiencing. This could prove to be a therapeutic process for you - and a salutary reading experience for the rest of us.

9. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Yes, I do.  I read the religious questions and think of exactly what I want to say.  But too often any religious answers are voted down if they are Christian based.  Watch this answer head down - I can feel it coming. LOL

Often I don't weigh in because it seems to start with a question and ends up with nasty or derogatory answers.

10. ptosis profile image71
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

"I cannot bring myself to respond. Are there others here who feel the same way?"

Wouldn't the people who do feel that way  - not respond?

P.S. Definitely get negative votes for any religion related question I answer.

11. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

we all have beliefs and we wish to defend our beliefs.

12. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

I don't like religious questions sometimes. Other times I like them. I like them from the perspective of sociology. I dislike them from the 'patriotic' view or defender of perceived 'typical' contrasting with the 'atypical.'

Answering your question I can share many times I don't really 'respond.' Instead I ask seeking more, so that I may learn.

13. preacher2003 profile image57
    preacher2003posted 6 years ago

religion is a formula, ceremonially based, customs and forms - etc.

we as beings created by God and made in the image of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (let us make man in our image Genesis 1:26)
    we are created to worship - go anywhere and you can find "man" worshiping, something, .... we are created by God to worship and praise Him -

So as a relationship with Jesus Christ is Christianity - to the Christian the World calls it 'religion' in some cases but the two are vastly different.

At any rate, man  - due to how he has been created, is curious and has questions and the drawing that many feel is an inbuilt desire to seek God, but when left unattended or trained improperly; man seeks 'religion' and it's trinkets, prayers, performances, ceremonies, formulas and so on -

why is it that we are drawn to religious questions?

God really wants us to know Him and to seek Him -----

14. Nights Dream profile image59
    Nights Dreamposted 6 years ago

I believe that on a base, subconcious, level, we are trying to explain our existence. Human beings try to explain what we can not. When people respond to religious questions, they might be hoping for an answer. Either in their own thoughts or what other people think and feel. Religion gives us hope and faith. It also provides more questions than answers.

When people ask those type of questions, we are hoping to get closer to the final answers that not even science can explain. By our combined knowledge and wisdom people hope to find them.

15. jockbrocas profile image45
    jockbrocasposted 6 years ago

I believe that as a human species, we are very inquisitive and therefore we are forever searching for meaning. Religion has claimed to have answers in every race and yet still we search. We search for happiness, to belong and to find succor when we are most in need. Religion promises this, but often does not deliver, therefore we continue to look at other religions and teachings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)