jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you think it is more important give a hand or get ahead?

1. Agantum profile image61
    Agantumposted 6 years ago

Do you think it is more important  give a hand or get ahead?

We all want a helping hand when we need it, so it makes sense to give a helping hand when it costs us little to do so.  But what about when both options are present?  Grab the space in the market queue or help pick up the old womans shopping?  Keep the seat or give it to someone who needs it more?   Drop some change into a mug or walk on by?

We act out these scenes every day and have usually already made our choice before we are confronted by them, so why, what is more important, giving a hand or getting ahead?

2. Daxman profile image60
    Daxmanposted 6 years ago

Personally, doing good deeds makes Me feel good inside. It gives me a certain sense of inner peace that i just dont feel and outright miss when i mess up and do something that goes against my morals.

You reap what you sow....

3. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

We act out these scenes every day and have usually already made our choice before we are confronted by them....very perceptive observation..always follow your heart..

4. donnaisabella profile image80
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

I face that choice daily in my ministry as a Christian; answer a call and go to help a friend or get late to church? The answer is easy for me, I will answer the call. But supposing I am the preacher or teacher and people would be waiting for me, can the problem wait? If not, I will still answer the call. Any day, I would rather help someone and be inconvenienced, it is second nature, I have to tell myself not to. If it is the mere question of simply getting ahead, I would rather help and remain..

5. WretchedRapture profile image74
    WretchedRaptureposted 6 years ago

I would say that lending a helping hand IS the best way to get ahead. :]

6. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

It's more important to get ahead. If you fail to do that first, then you will be unable to extend the hand, because you'll be the one who is behind and in need of it.

7. moonfairy profile image82
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

I would say a helping hand is better...and in the long run you're ahead because of how it makes you feel. If I can do even a little bit to help someone, then my day is a better one.

8. petenali profile image86
    petenaliposted 6 years ago

@ Attikos, I understand what you are saying, but what if when you are the one needing the helping hand and the other person decides to look after number 1 and get ahead? 
    I believe that it is the times that we stop and look outside of ourselves and our own circumstances, to help someone in need, that we grow as a human and make the world a better place.  Will it make a global difference? No.  Will it make an everlasting difference in the life of the person we help? Maybe.  Will it make a difference in our own life? Absolutely.
    So, to answer the original question, I believe it is far more important to give a hand.  You reap what you sow... good OR bad.

9. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

It probably depends on the various factors at the time, but I usually opt to help people out.  There needs to be more positive energy in the world, not less.

An example of when I won't help someone out is if my needs outweigh theirs.  Helping an old lady pick up her purse is great, and under normal circumstances, by all means I'll do that.  But if I just got a phone call that a relative's in the hospital, I'm going to push forward in line. 

Nothing's really black or white.