jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

How can a person control their mind?

1. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 5 years ago

How can a person control their mind?

I want a peaceful mind at all times.  I usually have one most days, I will admit though that some days when I read the news I get disturbed at the events that goes on around the world.

2. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 5 years ago

To achieve calmness in one's mind, I believe is through meditation.

I understand about having to know or read news around the world can be disturbing and to feel free from all these effects will be doing meditation.

That is what I do when under stress or feeling uneasy.

3. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

I sympathise with your plight! Who wouldn't want a permanently peaceful mind? Attaining this almost enlightened state is a huge challenge in this age of info saturation, family turmoil and global news around every corner!

The trick is to have a strategy.

Prevention - is it possible to accumulate peacefulness and train the mind to cope with stress no matter what form it takes? Perhaps. You can work on diverting stress by building up resistance to it. Inner mantras might work. Meditation could help. Physical exercise can alleviate some symptoms.

Coping - how do you cope once stress hits? You can do so much prevention but when worries/concerns/anxiety appear what do you do?
    Controlling the mind can be done through meditation but it can also involve talking to others to help dissipate tension. Depends on the individual.

I personally go for a long walk, or go work in the garden, until the stress has faded and/or I've worked out what to do to solve the problem.

Darrell Robertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for you insight, i meditate and take kick boxing cardio to help with stress.  I also chant the Maha Mantra. 
      Take care.

4. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I do practice meditation regularly and it does help immensely. 

Something else I did was remove all the extra stimuli.  We gave up cable and now have a Roku with streaming netflix for our TV.  We never see commercials and we don't watch news except for a few minutes a few times a week to be current on what is going on. 

The best thing I ever did for my anxiety was rid our family of Cable TV.  We have to take control of what our mind is subjected to constantly, and with a netflix subscription we are in total control of what we watch and when. 

I flipped over to regular TV for the olympics and within a few minutes I was wanting to run out of the room! the constant talking heads, advertisements that play on fears, etc etc.  You really will feel a difference in your life when you disconnect from what you don't need.

Darrell Robertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ah Ha, yes this is part of may strategy.  I do not watch tV except when I visit my mom.  I go to the movies as entertainment, I know it is foolishness so I am not worried.  I chant and that helps. Very nice answer.

5. aviannovice profile image90
    aviannoviceposted 5 years ago

A strong-willed person can do a lot of things, it is just the power of the mind.  When I had my wisdom teeth removed surgically, the doctor tried to give me a scrip, which I refused.  He also said that I probably wouldn't feel like going to work, either.  I told him that I'd call him from work the next day, which I did.  At the time, it was winter and I was working at a seafood company handling fish in a cold environment. 

I just told myself that I wasn't going to have any swelling or be in any pain.

The mind is a powerful thing that can be "talked" into a lot of things.

1. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Behind and more powerful than mind is spirit. In fact, mind alone is no more capable than a physical computer. Spirit can have the body walk on water.

6. mintinfo profile image73
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

To control your mind you need to learn to concentrate. Concentration is the unification of the senses. Your brain deciphers information that your senses collect. Then your mind decides what to do with that processed information. If your mind cannot control the flow of information your emotions will go out of whack and produce such things as fear, anxiety, and depression.

Count from 0 to 5 then 5 to 0 repeatedly. Eventually increase it to from 0 to 100 and back.

7. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

Control of the mind comes with awareness.

Like the old joke about the doctor visit, don't read the news. (the patient said, "Doc, every time I raise my left arm I feel pain." To which the doctor replied, "Then don't raise your left arm.")

Spirit is very powerful and because of it we think the mind has great power. For computation, the mind is great. For more, the mind is as worthless as a rock. Inspiration (in + spirit) comes from spirit -- the true self, the child of God within.

When you read bad news, it stimulates something from your past. If you're aware of this fact, then you can look at "vanish" the effect merely by looking. Most people aren't very skilled at this, so it can be difficult to start to learn. But you have to believe in yourself and in your abilities.

When I had Scientology clearing about 35 years ago, I had a week of perfect quiet in my mind. I'd never felt so much peace. There was no longer any noise -- not a scrap of it. It all came from awareness and practicing the ability of noticing things within the mind.

Like the old saying of Christ, know the truth and the truth will set you free.

If you look at a problem, it will vanish. If you look at it inaccurately, it will persist. So, the next time you think you have a problem and it persists, you haven't looked at it yet. Believe me, it couldn't be any simpler. We humans have a talent for making it too complicated.

And the news? The powerful elite behind the major corporations (including news, military industrial complex and the like) want you to feel disturbed. They're counting on it.

Living 5 years outside of the States has proved to me how vile American news really is. Amazing how distorted it is. I'd heard it before, but had to move here in the Philippines to see for myself.