jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Can the Bible Make Me a Better Person?

1. youcanwin profile image77
    youcanwinposted 5 years ago

Can the Bible Make Me a Better Person?

2. Titen-Sxull profile image87
    Titen-Sxullposted 5 years ago

Probably not. Only you can make you a better person. How good of a person you are has a lot to do with your thoughts and actions towards others.

The Bible is VERY hit or miss as far as moral advice, on the one hand Jesus tells you to love your enemies but on the other hand the God of the Bible endorses slavery and executing people who worship other deities. This is mostly because the Bible is written by people with conflicting opinions, when authors with conflicting viewpoints are putting words into the mouth of God you tend to get a God with very confused morals and behavior. Also it was written thousands of years ago and thus many of it's rules and restrictions are absurd, outdated or immoral by today's standards.

1. PastorAndrew profile image79
      PastorAndrewposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The Word of God is a letter written by God to His people.  You do not hear His words because you are not his disciple.  You will not understand until you approach God with faith and humility.  Your pride blinds your eyes.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image87
      Titen-Sxullposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@ PastorAndrew - The Bible was not written by God nor is it a consistent "letter" from him. I encourage you to take some time to do some research on how (and by whom) the Bible was written. Reality is often far more enriching than fantasy.

3. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@Titen-Sxull, your interpretation of the Bible is a fantasy, like that of so many Christians. Where you see disharmony is only misunderstanding and shallow interpretation.

3. CMCastro profile image78
    CMCastroposted 5 years ago

The best way to understand the Bible and improve yourself by the Bible is to first have a relationship with God. To communicate through prayer, and to accept His All-power and His Omnipresence is First; then to acknowledge His Son Jesus by asking Jesus to come into one's life and communication with Jesus Christ. Then the Word of the Lord and the credibility of the History of His people will bring you closer to knowing who He is. Jesus work in the new testament is always the same, yesterday, today and forever. The more you Believe in Him, and be thankful for His Word, it will mean more. But to put the Word into action, behavior of a person has to change. It is up to the individual to make that choice.

4. Joe Cook profile image60
    Joe Cookposted 5 years ago

Whether with the help of the almighty or not - only you can make a real change.  Look not to others, to false prophets but to yourself, your instinct to make the world a better place. Challenge yourself, be the best you can be.

Avoid churches, they are a refuge for hypocrits, scoundrels, liars, and those with double standards.  If Jesus were walking earth today, I think it highly unlikely that he would step foot into a church.  Rather he would be on the street with the everyman, with the poor, with the outcast of society.  Something church folk don't want to do.

1. PastorAndrew profile image79
      PastorAndrewposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jesus gave His life for the church, as well as for the individual.  I will agree with you that there are many so called "churches" that are not from God.  They may have once been and may have lost their first love.  But there are still good churches

2. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Joe Cook. Perhaps not all churches or all people in all churches, but there are some Christians today who are as the Pharisees in the time of Christ.

5. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 5 years ago

ONLY, if you adhere to its teachings................sitting on the shelf, it is only a book.

6. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

If you read it, it might. It depends on your attitude.

If you remain hungry for truth and never satisfied (arrogant) that you have it all figured out, then it might.

Remain humble and hard working. Read the Bible multiple times, digging for deeper meaning. There are many things that are yet to be discovered in the Bible -- Hidden Wisdom. I've discovered only a few things, like the Kabbalah's Tree of Life matrix embedded in 2 chapters of Genesis. I've discovered references to reincarnation and karma.

Listen to the quiet, still voice within. That is the child of God trying to wake up.

working