jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can hate be an act of love?

1. liftandsoar profile image81
    liftandsoarposted 5 years ago

Can hate be an act of love?

In Pslam 139 David exclaims "Do I not hate those who hate yoiu?"  Before writing a hub on this I thought it would be good to gain some perspective from my fellow hubbers.

2. James-wolve profile image78
    James-wolveposted 5 years ago

Love and hatred can never be the same or part of each other.They are pole s apart.

3. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 5 years ago

The word hate in that passage must be examined. It is not as simple as one might think. Like the phrase "fear of the Lord", it brings more to us than just an English translation might appear. Fear of the Lord is respect and awe. Hate used in Psalm 139 is to show how David feels about the people who forsake and betray God. While he hates their actions, he does not hate the person. He cannot be on the side of idolatry and immoral living so he aligns himself with God and not the sinners.

4. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

The way you phrased the question is very interesting and the simple answer is clearly yes. I love my wife. Sometimes on early mornings on her way to drop our son off at Gramma's and then to work, it is raining. When it rains here it is very dangerous.
    I do not hate rain, I do not hate my wife or son. I do not hate driving.
    But I hate it when my wife and child are subject to danger. I hope David hated it when folks acted horrible to God. Hate is a great motivator to correct wrongs. Hate the wrong love the good.
    If we sit under the tree and meditate of beauty, we do not hate.

5. TNSabrina profile image60
    TNSabrinaposted 5 years ago

I don’t have a clear answer, but I think love and hate walk a fine line with each other. If a person claims to love a person yet hate their actions, wouldn’t they have to love their actions to be the opposite, and this is not actually the person as a whole? If a person had abusive parents, they may in essence love their parents, yet still feel hatred toward them. I think you can both love and hate a person as a whole.
    I think the opposite of love is actually indifference, which is more hurtful than hate.

working