jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

What is the purpose of symbolism in scripture?

1. CertifiedHandy profile image80
    CertifiedHandyposted 5 years ago

What is the purpose of symbolism in scripture?

2. cam8510 profile image96
    cam8510posted 5 years ago

It is an interesting question as well as an interesting line of study.  There really are two purposes.  One involves most symbolic language in the Bible.  The other involves only one of which I am aware.  I won't be able to give an exhaustive list off the top of my head, but in the Bible there are types, figures, allegories, analogies and parables.  The first four in that list represent a body of literary tools designed to illuminate the understanding of the reader or hearer.  The last in the list, parables had a dual purpose.  First they were also designed to give understanding, although a measure of prior belief, faith or trust was required.  Second, parables were designed to prevent understanding. Those without that prior faith, meaning those who adamantly refused to believe what was being communicated, would never quite get the point.

There may be symbolism in the Bible that many don't consider to be symbolism.  I for one have a wait and see attitude concerning these.  If they were supposed to be crystal clear then there wouldn't be the controversy that actually exists.  I am speaking of Genesis chapters one through three as well as prophetic revelations in much of the OT and in the book of Revelation in the NT.  For example, streets of gold.  Is that real or some kind of symbol?  There are lots of those examples.

1. lone77star profile image83
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And the outrageous longevity of the early patriarchs! Genesis 5:2 is a clue. I've found evidence that the Kabbalists helped to write Genesis. The clues are subtle, but profound.

3. Dr. Haddox profile image80
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

The purpose of symbolism in scripture is to serve the function of an allegory. An allegory is the description of one thing under the image of another. In the Bible, or other sacred scriptures, we see authors presenting stories in which people, things, and happenings have a hidden or symbolic meaning. This way, we can understand allegories as teaching methods, for explaining ideas, moral principles, etc.
    I could go on and on and on with this, but I want. I have presented enough for a reader to see how symbolism expresses itself in the form of allegories and how this can be used to teach moral principles, which the sacred scriptures are expected to do.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

4. jennshealthstore profile image90
    jennshealthstoreposted 5 years ago

I think symbolism is used so that even though our daily circumstances are totally different than those of biblical times, we are still able to relate a specific passage, scripture to our changing circumstances. We are also able to use same scriptures for multiple problems and occurrences.

5. somethgblue profile image87
    somethgblueposted 5 years ago

To make you think, because when you figure things out on your own you are more apt to believe them, than if some one tells you and treats you like an idiot.

Of course I could be wrong, it happened once!

1. cam8510 profile image96
      cam8510posted 5 years agoin reply to this

very insightful.  I like it.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is the answer I would have given.

3. CertifiedHandy profile image80
      CertifiedHandyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@lone77 I never said God did not have a sense of humor, after all I believe He created Humankind in His spiritual image. But, unlike humans I don't believe God's sense of humor results from mischief. Mischief defined is - : a cause or source of harm,

6. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I think @somethgblue made a good point with "it makes you think."

I've grown up with the Bible in my home. I've studied it for decades, but only this last year have I read it for the first time, cover-to-cover... almost done. And I'll do it again many times.

The hidden wisdom in the Bible makes you work to understand it. I pity the biblical literalists who think the Bible was meant to be simple. That only aids laziness and arrogance.

I think the writers of the Bible wanted us to work and to be humble. Only with humility can we ever learn anything new.

And our salvation depends so much on our humility -- the "self" that must die before we can gain everlasting life must bow to humility. Because humility is so important to our salvation, it would seem that the writers of the Bible would take every opportunity to require humility of us. Thus the symbolism and the hidden wisdom.

Why, for instance, did God give such protection to a murderer and a liar (Cain)? And later, to his descendant, Lamech? Why did God wipe the Earth clean with the Flood, when humans have been violent and wicked long after the Flood? What crime was cured by the Flood? And who were the evil "daughters of man?"

These questions and more have been answered. But it took humility to find them. It took the hunger of a beggar to reach those answers.

1. C.V.Rajan profile image78
      C.V.Rajanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is so true that reading and re-reading is the way to understand scripture better. As you point out, the more we age  and  progress in our spirituality,  the better we are able to understand the metaphors and cryptic statements of scriptures.

7. Naomi's Banner profile image79
    Naomi's Bannerposted 5 years ago

Symbolism is important in that it allows the person to be able to relate to what the scripture is saying.  It brings a better understading of the meaning to God's Word. It allows the reader and the studyier of the Word to place themselves inside the picture being portraid.
    It is something that enables you to reach out and grab ahold of the Word making it real.  The reader becomes a part of it and is able to relate much better having an image to focus on.
    Sumbolism makes it possible for the reader to bring the invisible unseen image into the present reality or state of mind.

8. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 5 years ago

Symbolism in scripture, in my opinion, is God's mischief to allow not-so-spiritually-evolved pundits to misinterpret them!

1. CertifiedHandy profile image80
      CertifiedHandyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@c.v God has many attributes but "michief" isn't one of them.

2. C.V.Rajan profile image78
      C.V.Rajanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I believe God has good sense of humor and He plays His mischief for fun!

3. lone77star profile image83
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

CV, great answer! Misinterpretation is the province of ego, especially when ego craves to live in only one interpretation.

Come on, CH. Do you really think it's impossible that the Father of all cannot have a sense of humor?

9. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 5 years ago

I believe it is to make the reader think. Great question by the way.

10. SwordofManticorE profile image82
    SwordofManticorEposted 5 years ago

Symbolism is used by God for us to seek its purpose through prayer and love. If we seek its purpose, it is a way for us to get to know our Father better. If we seek the divine truth of symbolism, we seek God.

working