Why do you think Atheists argue against something they don't believe in?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (45 posts)
  1. CertifiedHandy profile image60
    CertifiedHandyposted 11 years ago

Why do you think Atheists argue against something they don't believe in?

Is it rational to argue against a belief that you don't ascribe to? Why would my personal belief impact someone with different beliefs. Can denying someone a right to believe be considered normal.

2. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Probably for the same reasons, whatever they may be, that Christians argue against something in which they disbelieve.

3. mintinfo profile image62
    mintinfoposted 11 years ago

I think that its just human nature just as the believers are on a constant crusade with a directive from god/allah to convert the non believers. As a non believer I try my best not to argue religion but I procrastinate then I get distracted and fall into the time wasting black hole. On the other hand I have noticed that on HP religion is among the top traffic pullers so admittedly I stir up a bit of controversy from time to time to attract traffic.

4. junkseller profile image80
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

It is rational to argue against allowing someone else's imaginary beliefs from being an authority in one's own life.

CertifiedHandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@junk why not just ignore them and their "imaginary beliefs"? No one can be an authority in your life unless you allow them to. When you allow others to impact your life with their beliefs you are saying that they have power over you.

2. junkseller profile image80
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not their beliefs that have authority, it is the public policy those beliefs shape (e.g. marriage, abortion, contraception, school curriculum, etc.)

3. profile image0
      Spikologyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, junkseller, I guess what you are saying is that no matter what, at least now when the vast majority of people in this country believe in some sort of deity, there is no way to separate church and state, which aggravates you.

5. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

It is no more or less rational than it is to argue for a belief you subscribe to. A lot of atheists argue against it for a couple of reasons. 1) They simply think the idea of God is a fairy tale based on outlandish claims. 2)Christianity is so prominently expressed and (by some) shoved down peoples throats that atheists take exception to the treatment of being force fed beliefs and then threatened with eternal torment and Hell for their lack of belief.

At least that is what I've gathered from atheists I have encountered

@Deepes If they don't believe in Hell or God why does it matter?

2. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You got me there...lol. Not too many people like things force down their throats i guess

6. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

When was the last time you heard a knock on your door, or had some one approach you in public, and thought "I hope that isn't another atheist trying to make me believe they have all the answers to life"?
    I can count the number of times that has happened in my life using all the fingers on one knee.
    The main reason is that theists are constantly trying to get their beliefs inserted into education, government policy and laws.
    Another is that theists ask questions or challenge discussion points based on religious doctrine as though it is somehow a totally accepted truth rather than a simple personal belief, from our perspective an irrational one at that.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

EGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And this is why your beliefs cause such hatred.  How insulting.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. You can have have your own beliefs, just don't insult mine and there will never be reason for such frivolous debates.

3. MickS profile image61
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And Christians don't argue for the same reason?

4. profile image0

No Mick, if debating we are normally having to take up for our God, or someone has rudely interrupted in our conversations. There is no reason to belittle someone's God, what is the point?

5. getitrite profile image71

As long as your beliefs are ridiculous, I will point out that they are ridiculous. If you had beliefs that made any sense, there would be no reason for such frivolous debates.

6. profile image0

We do agree, your beliefs are ridiculous.

7. MickS profile image61
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Quit right, there is no reason, JT, - never blaspheme another man's God... Even if that is a lack of god. However your arguement sounds like the old, - ah, it's different when we do it.  It ain't, it's exactly the same thing.

8. profile image0

Thank you Mick!!

9. profile image0

There are a lot if Christians (from my experience) who are ruled by their ego and think their beliefs are the correct ones.(I'm playing advocate here)

10. profile image0

You seem to do this quite often Deepes.

11. profile image0

If you're talking about playing advocate, Yea I do. I believe in at least taking the belief of others into consideration in my posts. But make no mistake, I still Believe in God. But there are some comments that I address because it is necessary.

12. CrescentSkies profile image64
      CrescentSkiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deepes is right, your comment is a condemnation that you are guilty of the same crime as those you would judge. The truth is you don't know because you never tried to understand.

13. profile image0

Quite understandable Deepes. God bless you.

14. profile image0

God bless you too. By taking the stance I do you will notice that I'm treated with more respect than others by atheists (even though they still disagree with me). This is because I am not dismissive of their views nor do I attack their views

15. profile image0

You are a very patient man Deepes. I admire that.

16. profile image0

We are supposed to be patient and long suffering. Even Jesus was mocked in his return to Nazareth. But he didn't fight back or beat anyone over the head. He helped those that believed and asked for help then kept it moving. I try to do the same.

17. profile image0

I know this and try my best, although sometimes I fail. I am praying about my temper and intolerance for certain attacks.

18. profile image0

But that is in your power to control. One thing I learned is that nobody can "make" you angry. It's all in how you choose to respond to what is happening. Sometimes God allows things to happen to show us our shortcomings so that we can make changes.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

A few people already said it, but I'll also reiterate. In general, I don't think atheists have any problem with other beliefs, it's when those beliefs impact the atheist (usually through harassment or government influence) that we start to push back. Many religions over step their bounds, then, when we point it out, they hold their hands up as if they're being victimized. Religion has a very powerful and dangerous influence on our society, and if left unchecked, can result in the numerous atrocities we've seen over our history. I'm not saying that religion is at the heart of every bad thing that happens, but its undeniable that people do horrible things in the name of one god or another. So, really, atheists aren't arguing against the things they don't believe in, they're arguing against the people who want to use those beliefs to harm others, whether mentally or physically.

1. profile image0

Those who claim to do bad in the name of God are hypocrites. Plain and simple.

2. profile image0

M.T. Cool pic btw. I understand that atheism is supposed to be about a secular existence, but it is usually not presented that way by atheists. If you look through the posts, they are negative towards religion, not positive towards secular.

9. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

I only argue when people argue with me. I tend to avoid religious arguments otherwise, I don't believe in it and it annoys me to waste 4 hours explaining all the reasons why neutral

10. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

Not if it did not affect us nonbelievers...but it does, as these beliefs are the basis of much abuse.  When believers are allowed to promote this nonsense, they are spreading it to more people, who would otherwise probably never buy in to such idiocy, therefore it is the responsibility of the rational opposition to curtail the spread of this affliction.

1. profile image0

What does this accomplish? Christians are only trying to help those who are lost to accept Christ as their "Personal" savior. Shouldn't you leave it personal between the two people? Why do you feel you are on a crusade against God. What tells u this?

2. getitrite profile image71

Because if you weren't so indoctrinated, you would see that your beliefs are brain destroying nonsens, meant to enslave the mind through irrational despotic foolishness.  Left alone, religion has nothing but silly delusion for the afflicted.  Grow up

3. profile image0

LOL...... Grow up? I am an adult and know the truth. Hopefully, one day you will find it before it's too late.

4. CertifiedHandy profile image60

@belief in God is an "affliction".  Then most people suffer and u are rational. How intolerant. I bet if u could u would kill believers to rid them of their affliction.  U people are frightening

5. profile image0

Amen Certified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. profile image0
    Spikologyposted 11 years ago

I am not a devout religious person or a professor in psych, but usually athiest come from a very religious background and are rebelling against the religion or their upbringing/parents, not God.

1. Dan Barfield profile image73
      Dan Barfieldposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is inaccurate I'm afraid. It is increasingly the case that the majority of Atheists are born and raised in secular families with no religeious indoctrination whatsoever. In Europe at least, this is largely the case.

2. profile image0

At atheistcensus.com, scroll to the bottom. Only 17.7% don't come from a religious background.

3. Dan Barfield profile image73
      Dan Barfieldposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes it must be quite intense over there when religious debate occurs between Atheists and the faithful. There is none so zealous as the fresh convert and this applies to Atheists as well as born again Christians.

12. Dan Barfield profile image73
    Dan Barfieldposted 11 years ago

A response to CertifiedHandy's question 'Why do you think Atheists argue against something they don't believe in?' read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)