jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

To those nearing the 6-0, reflecting on life this far, are you proud or distress

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

To those nearing the 6-0, reflecting on life this far, are you proud or distressed as to how

YOUR LIFE turned out?

2. Renee Abbott profile image85
    Renee Abbottposted 4 years ago

Hi GmWilliams
    Well, my life didn't turn out as I expected at this age, but I wouldn't have changed a thing. I had 29 years of marriage to a wonderful man. Being a widow, has brought me new challenges, but I am pleased with how I have over come obstacles. Turning 60 was scary, now that I made it to 62, I thank the powers to be each day for a new day and a new adventure. I love life, and that includes all the blessings it gives me, as well as the heartaches. I have not regrets, and am not distressed. I am a big believer that we do create our own reality through our thoughts, and have watched how mine have created some enormous monsters, as well as enormous blessings. I am still able to learn new things, for instance blogging, and I am able to improve my life in areas that I wish.

60 is a great time, a time to reflect yes, but yet do not stay there too long, for you got today to live.

Great question, and thank you posting it!

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are quite welcome indeed.

3. Jynzly profile image75
    Jynzlyposted 4 years ago

Hi  gmwilliams,
    Admittedly and first of all I want to let you know as a matter of fact that I recognize you as one of those very few here in HP who ask very sensible questions and that is why I love answering them (though, regretfully, I was unable to see all of those questions because I got busy doing something else in the net).
    For this question of yours, here's my take;
    I am 58 just last January this year, of course, and among my pride and joy in life is that I have not heard anyone say (to me at least) that I look my age or older than my age; this would mean that despite all the pains, the accidents, the hospital experiences like surgery, I am still as healthy and fit as a horse; no lingering illness can get through me longer than I allow it. See what I mean?
    I count my blessings and only focus on them so that even if I recognize the shady and cloudy parts of my life through all these more than a half century life that this universe had been allowing me as a guest here, I am still not ready to "check out". I stay here in my own terms and I know that by nature I possess many extra or bonus tickets to qualify me to stay longer.
    These "bonus tickets" are my very beautiful children and grandchildren; they are not only my pride and joy but most important is they are the evidence of my personal success as a mother; and I am only talking about successful motherhood, the rest is a long story of success to talk about...my remaining lifetime won't be enough time to talk about them therefore I can say to Mr. Distress "Sorry Sir, I know that you also have the right to exist in this life but I have no more time left to even talk about you."

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer, happy very belated birthday!

2. Jynzly profile image75
      Jynzlyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

4. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 4 years ago

Like most, I suppose, my life did not turn out they way I had planned........and I am very thankful that it didn't. Those youthful ideas and dreams, all those years ago, seemed the "perfect" path but had those dreams come true I would have missed so much. I approach the milestone with contentment with myself and with my life. It wasn't easy to be sure but it certainly was........interesting!

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I am 61 and my life did not turn out as I dreamed it would be when I was a young person.  But, I ended up having a wonderful life, husband and family--so I am proud rather than distressed.

Aging, however, is not the picnic that many claim it is. I see people on TV say, "I'm 72 and I've never felt better...my response is "Really?  Then you must feel better than I do!"

6. WalterPoon profile image79
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

Same here as duffsmom who says, "I am 61 and my life did not turn out as I dreamed it would be when I was a young person."

I am 58 but looking back, there's nothing to regret, even though I didn't achieve much in life... it was all a journey, a learning experience. Of course, if I were to live all over again, I would have lived life differently, based on what I have learned so far. Instead of taking my MBA, I would have taken a writing course or a course in English Literature and work as a magazine editor or writer... not human resource manager. Instead of squandering all my money, I would have watched the economic cycle and invest in stocks when prices are low. Instead of rushing to buy properties when the property market is hot, I would wait until there is a housing slump to pick up choice assets... yes, I would have lived differently if I had known. But how would I know, except on hindsight, and with the passage of time. So no, I have no regrets.