To those nearing the 6-0, reflecting on life this far, are you proud or distress

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

To those nearing the 6-0, reflecting on life this far, are you proud or distressed as to how

YOUR LIFE turned out?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8001757_f260.jpg

2. Renee Abbott profile image81
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

Hi GmWilliams
    Well, my life didn't turn out as I expected at this age, but I wouldn't have changed a thing. I had 29 years of marriage to a wonderful man. Being a widow, has brought me new challenges, but I am pleased with how I have over come obstacles. Turning 60 was scary, now that I made it to 62, I thank the powers to be each day for a new day and a new adventure. I love life, and that includes all the blessings it gives me, as well as the heartaches. I have not regrets, and am not distressed. I am a big believer that we do create our own reality through our thoughts, and have watched how mine have created some enormous monsters, as well as enormous blessings. I am still able to learn new things, for instance blogging, and I am able to improve my life in areas that I wish.

60 is a great time, a time to reflect yes, but yet do not stay there too long, for you got today to live.

Great question, and thank you posting it!

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are quite welcome indeed.

3. Jynzly profile image63
    Jynzlyposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8002041_f260.jpg

Hi  gmwilliams,
    Admittedly and first of all I want to let you know as a matter of fact that I recognize you as one of those very few here in HP who ask very sensible questions and that is why I love answering them (though, regretfully, I was unable to see all of those questions because I got busy doing something else in the net).
    For this question of yours, here's my take;
    I am 58 just last January this year, of course, and among my pride and joy in life is that I have not heard anyone say (to me at least) that I look my age or older than my age; this would mean that despite all the pains, the accidents, the hospital experiences like surgery, I am still as healthy and fit as a horse; no lingering illness can get through me longer than I allow it. See what I mean?
    I count my blessings and only focus on them so that even if I recognize the shady and cloudy parts of my life through all these more than a half century life that this universe had been allowing me as a guest here, I am still not ready to "check out". I stay here in my own terms and I know that by nature I possess many extra or bonus tickets to qualify me to stay longer.
    These "bonus tickets" are my very beautiful children and grandchildren; they are not only my pride and joy but most important is they are the evidence of my personal success as a mother; and I am only talking about successful motherhood, the rest is a long story of success to talk about...my remaining lifetime won't be enough time to talk about them therefore I can say to Mr. Distress "Sorry Sir, I know that you also have the right to exist in this life but I have no more time left to even talk about you."

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer, happy very belated birthday!

2. Jynzly profile image63
      Jynzlyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

4. point2make profile image60
    point2makeposted 10 years ago

Like most, I suppose, my life did not turn out they way I had planned........and I am very thankful that it didn't. Those youthful ideas and dreams, all those years ago, seemed the "perfect" path but had those dreams come true I would have missed so much. I approach the milestone with contentment with myself and with my life. It wasn't easy to be sure but it certainly was........interesting!

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I am 61 and my life did not turn out as I dreamed it would be when I was a young person.  But, I ended up having a wonderful life, husband and family--so I am proud rather than distressed.

Aging, however, is not the picnic that many claim it is. I see people on TV say, "I'm 72 and I've never felt better...my response is "Really?  Then you must feel better than I do!"

6. WalterPoon profile image67
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Same here as duffsmom who says, "I am 61 and my life did not turn out as I dreamed it would be when I was a young person."

I am 58 but looking back, there's nothing to regret, even though I didn't achieve much in life... it was all a journey, a learning experience. Of course, if I were to live all over again, I would have lived life differently, based on what I have learned so far. Instead of taking my MBA, I would have taken a writing course or a course in English Literature and work as a magazine editor or writer... not human resource manager. Instead of squandering all my money, I would have watched the economic cycle and invest in stocks when prices are low. Instead of rushing to buy properties when the property market is hot, I would wait until there is a housing slump to pick up choice assets... yes, I would have lived differently if I had known. But how would I know, except on hindsight, and with the passage of time. So no, I have no regrets.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)