Why are so many people afraid of the Christian religion?

Jump to Last Post 51-70 of 70 discussions (540 posts)
  1. WiccanSage profile image91
    WiccanSageposted 10 years ago

I'm not afraid of it, and I'm extremely well versed in it. I just don't believe it.

Proselytizing and trying to push their religion into the public arena is what earns Christians a backlash, not their personal and privately held beliefs. Not out of fear, but because it's offensive to do so.

This is a secular, diverse society that gives us freedom of and freedom from religion-- I don't believe any single religion's morals, beliefs or teachings should be imposed upon us all.

1. taburkett profile image58
      taburkettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Those that do believe know that God is love. And, that if we live in love, then God is in us and delivered through us. Society is composed of evil that man does because they do not live in love.  For the upright walk blameless while the evil does not

2. WiccanSage profile image91
      WiccanSageposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe, I'm just not Xtian. My Gods are love. Love isn't being arrogant telling others what to believe, forcing them to live by your beliefs. That's pride & arrogance. Society is composed of people who deserve free will and beliefs to be respe

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Ignorance and lack of understanding. The premise that a higher being has control over your life is just too much for a non-believers ego to fathom.

1. profile image0
      JimMilesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Or, the premise itself is based upon insufficient evidence. Look at the suffering in your world. Your higher being controls that? Then it is not worthy of your worship.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most suffering is caused by "man." God has given us a perfect Earth and look what we have done to it.

3. A Happy Man profile image69
      A Happy Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

JimMiles-Are you familiar with "Free Will"?  And "Freedom of Choice"?  It's pickin' the Holy way or that of the devil.  Pretty certain you understand.

4. profile image0

Hey, Happy, which holy way to choose? Do you think any old holy way is OK, or do you have only one "right way" in mind? 38,000 Christian denominations, many of which claim to be the only true way. Didn't Jesus pray for unity? Hate it when God ignores

5. jstfishinman profile image60
      jstfishinmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

God still only sees one church, regardless of what man sees and does. God's way is still the right way. That's what's amazing about mankind, we can mess up everything, and still think we're right. Ignorance is bliss!

6. profile image0

jstfishinman: God sees one church. So He won't care if I join either the Catholics or the Protestants, the Westboro Baptists, the Branch Davidians, the Mormons, the JWs, SDAs, Christian Scientists, or Scientologists? R U Unitarian Universalist?

7. A Happy Man profile image69
      A Happy Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

JimMiles  Right, brother.  I stand by my comment.  I don't essentially see myself at odds with your thrust.

3. sinebobo profile image61
    sineboboposted 10 years ago

people afraid of the christian religion because they find it difficult to obey the God's law. people are selfish and wicked which christian forbid so for these reason people don't like it.

1. profile image0

Are you saved by grace through believing and faith, or by obeying God's law?

2. sinebobo profile image61
      sineboboposted 10 years agoin reply to this

its what you believe that you will obey

3. glynch1 profile image67
      glynch1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

No one can keep God's law perfectly; God gave it to man so that we might come to the knowledge of our sin and turn to Christ for forgiveness and justification before God. Unsaved humanity will always reject God's law because that is their nature.

4. profile image50
      Juno Smithposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it is honest or right to say that. Many people you will never see in a church love God, love you and will pray for from thousand of miles without anyone knowing about their greatness> Essence or appearance is the question. Love, peac

4. aliasis profile image74
    aliasisposted 10 years ago

" Is it the immoral factions pressing for equality?"

Oh my. Let me guess - you hate gay people. I'm gay, so you wonder why I'm put off when most gay persecution is done in the name of antiquated religions. Religion has some good points, some bad points - unfortunately, often religious adherents are focused on being the biggest jerks possible by wallowing in their verses about abominations and telling people they're going to hell. People feeling free to be more critical of religion isn't a bad point in society. It's one of the best things in this modern world.

1. profile image0

Best answer!

2. profile image0

So, the bad points are those who disagree with your lifestyle. Wow. Isn't that convenient.

3. profile image0

JThomp42, isn't misrepresentation (which you just did to aliasis' answer) a form of bearing false witness (Exodus 20:16)?

4. profile image0

I did not misinterpret her answer at all. That is simply ridiculous quoting 1 verse of scripture from a whole chapter JimMiles.

5. profile image0

JThomp42, u r a Christian; didn't think u'd need more than 1. "...all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death," Revelation 21:8.  Proverbs 19:9, "A false witness will not go unpunished."

6. profile image0

I am not a false witness. Where did you get that non-sense? I fully understand this answer and I commented appropriately. I am a child of God saved by the blood of Jesus Christ. I do not have to worry about the lake of fire. r u a Christian??

7. profile image0

JThomp, u think paraphrasing "gay persecution" and "telling people they're going to hell" as "disagree" is not misrepresentation? Do you define 'misrepresentation' differently than the average writer?

8. profile image0

I have told no one they are going to hell. You brought that up my friend. In fact, I really do not understand your jibberish. You are all over the place?

9. profile image0

Reread aliasis' answer. SHE referred to Christians who persecute gays and tell them they're going to hell. No, she didn't (nor did I) personally acuse you of doing that. Rather, she made statements, which you then snarkily misrepresented.

10. profile image0

I have read this statement and I gather the same from it each time. Like I said, you are talking gibberish. Do you even understand what you are saying? Of course gay people aren't going to like what the Bible says about being gay. It is an abominati

11. profile image0

Obtuse.

12. aliasis profile image74
      aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"So, the bad points are those who disagree with your lifestyle." Ooh, my "lifestyle", classic homophobic response. smile This is why conservative Christianity is losing adherents in America. JThomp42, do you eat shellfish? just wondering.

13. jstfishinman profile image60

As a Christian, I hate the sins that people commit. Not the person that commits the sin. I have worked with recovery programs for a long time, and I hear people say if you don't like my life style you don't like me. That is really closed minded.

14. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Recovery Programs" ..... run by people who think they are more acceptable to "god," for others whom "god" wants to change.  ("God" of course being your own, well intentioned maybe but ignorant, egos.)

15. jstfishinman profile image60

Jonnycomelately, I never said the recovery programs were Christian in orientation. Your close mindedness made you jump to a conclusion. Thanks for proving my point!

16. profile image0

Ok, I stand corrected..... would you like to expand on that, so I know exactly what you mean?   I got the impression it was about trying to convert homosexual persons to heterosexual.   Was I mistaken?

17. jstfishinman profile image60

I have never dealt with that issue, though I have had numerous discussions with gay friends. I've worked with drug, alcohol, sexual addicts, and co-dependency. I have seen the pain caused by these abuses. I believe in love the sinner, hate the sin.

18. aliasis profile image74

jstfishinman if you can't accept and support your friends for being gay, when it is inherent in them, and literally is about the adult they fall in love with... then I kinda doubt you actually have gay friends.

19. profile image0

aliasis .... This an Old Testament question that you are referring to. The answer is null. We do not live under the "old law" any longer. As I do not have an alter in my backyard either.

20. taburkett profile image58

Yes immoral factions strain moral society. Yes an act that does not perpetuate humanity aids the immoral faction. Moral individuals do not hate. Moral individuals love even the sinner. People need not tolerate moral but they must immoral. Why?

21. profile image0

So you think two individuals who love each other, dearly; support each other in their walk through life; support children; assist the community; and have fun between themselves occasionally;  are not perpetuating humanity?

22. profile image0

No. And you are certainly not elevating humanity.

23. profile image0

As far as I am concerned, humanity does not need to be elevated.  The "god" you espouse and apparently worship is so small, so worthless, so limited, that I cannot see what you admire in "it."  Why are you afraid of such a nonsense god?

24. taburkett profile image58

It is the little things that make it so easy to Love the teachings of Jesus. It is so very wonderful to be anointed by the Lord's blessing. Those that choose to ignore the small things scour through life never to feel the ecstasy of righteousness.

25. aliasis profile image74

LOL I'm a lesbian and I'm going to have kids. Biologically. Where's your god now. I imagine you also hate couples that are medically unable to have kids, right? Immoral strain on society? The real strain is people who use religion to persecute.

26. taburkett profile image58

aliasis, your burden belongs to you alone. your choice is always attributed to you personally. your destiny is fully based on you. you seek equality, yet cannot be equal due to your choice of inequity. Then ask for others to accept inequity as equal.

5. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 10 years ago

I do not want to insult your culture or belief.  What I am asking you to consider is that every country, culture, language, personality I have encountered there are the same human beliefs of right and wrong, care of children, worries and doubts, aspirations to do better.  There are also the negatives.  In every culture.  Religious or Scientific.  The main negative for me about any idea is when it discourages questions and debate.  i previously thought religion was useful for certain people, now I do not know.  I think people should question everything and truly think about it.

Please do not be offended, I am writing my true thoughts because from your words I believe that you are speaking your true beliefs.  The ideals and honors  that make sense for this society.  I am happy for you if this makes sense for you.  Can you consider my position? 

I have studied many religions, but I did need to check these specific quotes

1 John 2:9-11 ESV
    Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness.
    (personal explanation-this is directed at me, not you.  I want to understand everything.  I know we both know we are right.  The most important question to me is how can we understand this, and not make it a dividing problem. 

If you come up with an answer that can combine opposite ideas  without argument, I will elect you for figuring out how we can have peace on earth.  I have ideas.  If two opposite ideas can combine, this is possible.

Evil begets evil when moral individuals sit back and do nothing to make a difference.
      Positive morals must be taught everywhere if society is to advance rather than regress further.

6. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

This weekend I joined a group to repair a house belonging to an elderly lady who had lost her only son that had been providing her with a livable environment.  Her community is one of the most impoverished in the local area.
    When we arrived the neighbors began to look out their windows and peer around their houses as we piled out of our old bus.  When the work truck arrived with our tools and equipment, many of those neighbors came out onto their front porches to view what was happening in their neighborhood.
    Soon, an elderly man and his wife approached us and asked if we were there to tear the old place down.  We explained that we were there to repair the house and provide assistance in the future if necessary.  The old man then said, "Why are you doing this?"  We explained that we were followers of God, Christians that assisted as the Bible explains, "1 Timothy 5:3 Take care of widows who are truly needy".  The old man then began to cry and asked if he could be of assistance also.  He explained that he had prayed for many days that God would return to his neighborhood that had been taken over by drug gangs.  He said, "this neighborhood does not have a church anymore. The preacher left when his wife was killed in a drive-by."
    Our group then looked at each other and decided to discuss this over our lunch break.  We worked all day Saturday cleaning, painting, fixing, and meeting with the elderly owner of the house we were repairing.  The more we worked, the larger the crowd became in the neighborhood.  The more we talked to these local owners, the more we discovered that they desired to once again follow the teachings of Christ.  We began our work at 8am and we finished just before midnight.  At midnight, we held a prayer group with the widow who had recently lost her son.  Many in the entire neighborhood stood and prayed with us during our ceremony.  Individuals who we believe may have been part of the drug problem drove by, but did not stop to do their business.  The neighbors then proclaimed that they would hold prayer every evening in the streets.  We decided it would be good if we joined them.
    Sunday morning, our group and those in the neighborhood repaired the local church building and held church at 11am.  The former elders of the church performed the service, thanking God for his generosity and love.  We will now begin our daily prayer meetings on the lawns of the neighborhood.  The 80 homes will now again be bounded by God's love.
    God 100 - Gangs 0

1. profile image0

Matthew 6:1 "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

2. profile image0

Praise God!!

3. taburkett profile image58

1Timothy4-15 Be diligent about this work, throw yourself into it, so that your progress may be clear to everyone. 16 Pay attention to yourself and to the teaching, continue in it, for by so doing you will deliver both yourself and those who hear you.

7. amynluv profile image60
    amynluvposted 10 years ago

I think it isn't the Christian religion that some people don't like.  Like you said, Jesus teaches love and compassion, and Christians often help the poor and hungry.  I think the problem some people have with Christianity isn't the religion, but with the Christians. 

For instance, a little girl I knew didn't understand why she was supposed to be "going to hell," only that after having fun and playing with her cousin and her friends at her cousin's church, she was prayed for then kicked out of the building.  The adult youth pastors there told everyone to get on their knees to save this demon (let me remind you again...a ten year old little girl, why by then was in tears) from the fire.  Why?  Because she went to the church across town!

That ten  year old little girl was me, by the way.

Mahatma Gandhi said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

abusive authority occurs when evil adults invade the normally safe church. it becomes enormously vindictive when the elders do not recognize the invasion. when this happens, your tale of despair occurs. I pray daily that you are blessed with love.

8. Winston Smith 84 profile image61
    Winston Smith 84posted 10 years ago

What's frightening is the sheer number of people who are frightened of thinking for themselves. Perhaps the problem is the judgmentalism of Christians, as your questions so clearly demonstrate.

Individual responsibility is not taught in schools. Schools teach tolerance to immoral acts and rejection of moral principles. That is why evil is growing within the schools. That is why kids follow the path of immoral tolerance. Judgmentalism - not.

2. Winston Smith 84 profile image61
      Winston Smith 84posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of whose morality do you speak?

3. taburkett profile image58

Morality is presented in true moral principles
      Moral principles are not ideas by "whose dialog" but solid presentation of ethics
      Ethics promote positive utility to society
      I.E. gay marriage does not promote positive utility
      Thus immoral to society.

4. Winston Smith 84 profile image61

Presented by whom?

5. taburkett profile image58

presented in wisdom by those who have attained it.
      but as seen here - questioned continually by those that have not.

6. Winston Smith 84 profile image61

Questioned continually due to continually evasive answers.

7. taburkett profile image58

the only evasion is composed of false care frontations attempting a hijack through slack wisdom.
      Truth is the easy path because it requires no such false attainment.

8. Winston Smith 84 profile image61

You have yet to answer my original question. What are YOU scared of?

9. taburkett profile image58

I am not scared - I am concerned that complacency will lead to further immoral destruction of the society. I am concerned that this will lead to destruction of the USA. I am concerned that our youth will die much before their time. are you concerned?

10. Winston Smith 84 profile image61

I am concerned about anyone trying to impose HIS own morality on anyone who doesn't conform to it.

11. taburkett profile image58

no one imposes - truth begets truth
      but evil thrives on ignorance.
      faith is a true path to individual thinking.
      faith leads to solid moral ethics.
      moral principles and solid ethics provides a moral society.
      this is the desire - this is the need

12. Winston Smith 84 profile image61

"...faith leads to solid moral ethics..."
      For the fourth time: whose moral ethics? Why won't you answer such a simple question?

13. profile image0

You will never break down his/her barrier of self-imposed morality. A waste of time and energy trying to.

14. taburkett profile image58

society morals are generated through truth concerning right and wrong.
      evil opposes truth and degrades society
      those that support evil continue to drive for immoral teachings to youth
      tolerance to immoral acts continues to grow as apathy expands

15. Winston Smith 84 profile image61

Can you define "society morals?"

Can you define "evil?"

16. taburkett profile image58

society morals = truth concerning right and wrong.
      evil = wicked, bad, wrong, immoral, sinful, foul, vile, dishonorable, corrupt, iniquitous, depraved, reprobate, villainous, nefarious, vicious, malicious;
      evil thrives in the ignorant - evil doers

17. profile image0

Taburkett, I don't feel that any one of those aspects of your "evil" definition apply to me.  Can you perhaps allow that I am not "evil?"

18. jstfishinman profile image60

As a Christian, I am evil, as are all of mankind. When we compare ourselves to the "perfect" with all our imperfections, we are as dirty rags, to be burned.
      Our saving can only be accomplished by believing in the "perfect". Jesus Christ.

19. profile image0

Thankyou.  You have just crystalized for me in a few words everything thats is wrong with the christian religion.

20. taburkett profile image58

jonnycomelately - no one has said you were evil. you chose to depict yourself based on your interpretation of words conveying the truth. I do not judge anyone. I simply allow them to depict themselves. This is true even when I assist troubled youth

21. Winston Smith 84 profile image61

taburkett: What you refuse to admit (or recognize) is that you want to impose your version of morality on others, based on your beliefs. This is known as religious authoritarianism.

22. profile image0

The only truth you know about, Taburkett, is the truth about your self....and you are avoiding that!   Get real, man!

23. taburkett profile image58

WOW - Winston Smith 84 - you seem to believe that I am society. But, I am just a follower of the morals that society declares correct. While others wish to declare immoral as moral, I choose to follow societies prescribed moral path. Moral truth wins

24. Winston Smith 84 profile image61

taburkett, on the contrary, it is you who seem to think that you speak for society, in that you pontificate as to what society deems proper. When in reality, you project the moral imperatives of your belief system. Society comprises all.

9. mike89311 profile image61
    mike89311posted 10 years ago

todays society has lost the morial that make people formal or honoralble way that were in the the old way of castles and nobles.  poeple fear to give up the image of freedom of  they think they have,but hears a thought if you do not serve god who hold your life?

10. jeffreymaskel profile image66
    jeffreymaskelposted 10 years ago

I don't necessarily think this is a problem or that people are afraid.  I feel like people are turned off by religion more and more as the times roll on.  Too many people might feel failed by an organized religion and have chosen to search in less oppressive methods for answers to life.  Religion has failed in many aspects over time.  Social norms, scientific reason, sexual issues and many other things.  This may be enough to push someone on the fence over the other side. 

Just a thought.

1. profile image0

This sounds like a very reasonable, evidence-based, thoughtful reply based upon observable phenomena we all have experienced. Now, cue irrational superstition-based responses based on Iron-Age era pre-scientific mythological texts. 3...2...1...

2. taburkett profile image58

Evil entices those too weak to recognize the immoral destructive dangers. Some Christians have also begun to sit humbly and complain rather than continue to spread righteousness. Our nation is being destroyed by ignorance, apathy and complacency.

3. profile image0
      CroftRoanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

taberkett, you do realize America was colonized to spread religious TOLERANCE, right? What you say doesn't seem very tolerant.

4. taburkett profile image58

CroftRoan - Tolerance of evil is considered a crime. This is the foundation of ignorance within the USA society. Through this crime, the moral society is being destroyed. This is evidenced as wild immoral youth beat & kill because they are bored.

5. profile image0

Then  what about the Crusades? The Salem and English witch trials? Desecration of temple and sites that have been around since before Christianity was born. How is THAT not violent? I have never hurt or killed and I'm not Christian.

6. profile image0

Taburkett, the only thing YOU are responsible for is your OWN walk in life, your own moral and ethical standards.  Work on that, consistently, deeply, and only then look at what others are about.  Not one of us is perfect, yet we live and let live.

7. taburkett profile image58

The difference between the past and the current - is that we can change the current. However, many who support evil continue to evoke complacency and revoke moral teachings. This is quite true as the society continues a death spiral.

8. profile image0

You continue to judge others, from a position of anonymity, a very safe and cowardly place to be.  Lift yourself out of that dark, incessant hole you have dug for yourself and find some beauty in the world.   There is plenty of it around you.

9. profile image0

tebukett, the past is what makes us. Without it we cannot make a better future. It is that same past that makes you see everyone as evil creatures. No one is evil for not believing in a God, any god.

10. taburkett profile image58

as usual, when someone cannot provide truth, they blast away with unfounded accusations.  Those who support evil continue to invoke complacency and revoke moral teachings. Society is highly infected with viral immorality spread through ignorance.

11. profile image0

I must therefore give up trying to warm to your opinions, Taburkett.   Speaking to a blank wall, it seems.  Your response is typical of fanaticism.  In my humble opinion, but no doubt you will not have a rational reply.   So  I will close.

12. profile image0

Either taburkett is what s/he appears (a deluded Christian), and/or s/he is a devoted marketer of his/her own Hub. All these responses taburkett supplies could almost be random words picked from a hat full of spiritual phrases. Yet all generate $$$!

13. taburkett profile image58

the accusations continue much like those spouted about Jesus. "who is this miracle worker and why does he come to our land?" those who disbelieve can never find the path of truth because they are caught up in their personal evil world. truth abounds

11. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 10 years ago

It's like deep water. I person stays in shallow water to keep from drowning or fear of going underwater. Likewise, the Christian religion is so deep (but in a good way) that some people are afraid of losing themselves) they are accustomed to living according to their own desirable instincts. Unfortunately, Some people feed on milk all of their lives instead of gradually feeding on the meet of religion which is living according to Christ. Non-denominational is considered a watered down type of religion. Being a Christian simply means being Christ-like. Christ was reborn to give us the opportunity to live a much better life after living it the wrong way the first time. After rebirth we should be able to choose a mate that's living a Christ-like life as well. That's considered being on the same accord or equally yoking. It starts with being like Christ and many people are afraid that they are going to miss something by giving themselves to that supreme way of life.

12. ravi1991 profile image60
    ravi1991posted 10 years ago

Well Miss/ Mr. the fist thing is that no religion is bad. They are followers who make it look bad. I will just give you an example but I assure you that it`s not my harshness but the rationale to answer your question.
    Their are many christian missionaries involved in baptizing local tribes by offering them gifts and other valuables in India. Okay now as a Hindu, when I see this malpractice what inference would I take out of it ? These are missionaries(followers of Christianity) which are impelling others to comment on religion of yours.

I love Christ too.

1. glynch1 profile image67
      glynch1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you truly loved Christ, then you would turn from Hinduism. Jesus is the only way to a truly personal God; He demands total allegiance.

13. AbelCarrera profile image54
    AbelCarreraposted 10 years ago

Christianity it is a good thing. You can´t just say that being a christian its a bad thing. Being a christian it is a good thing because , God does not want to harm anyone, He just want to make things go right in everybody's life, but people sometimes don´t understand His plans.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
      LoisRyan13903posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said

14. xavieryoga profile image41
    xavieryogaposted 9 years ago

May not be. No chance for fear. Jesus Christ teaches to Forgive and Love. I think it is a religion we can follow without any fear.

15. profile image53
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

Lee: " If you're not willing to question your identity, or "how you think" of what you really are, you'll stay what you've always been." Wow! Couldn't have said it better!  This is where "religion" is today! Complacent!  I wouldn't call "religious people" Christian, for to be Christian is to be Christ-like of which I find few!

Religion has taught ALL to look at Scripture with "carnal" eyes, relating to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit as "three different persons or beings" yet One!  I will agree they are One yet not "different persons or beings" but GLORIES, Whose Name is Jesus!  God is the Father (Spirit), Holy Spirit is (Spirit), so the only One that could be "a person or being" is Jesus Christ Who has since ascended into heaven (Spirit) and sent us the Holy Spirit (IN HIS NAME) to help "guide us!" (John 16:13) 

Seekers of truth have not been "taught" to "Seek first the "kingdom of God and his righteousness so all things can be added unto him" (Matthew 6:33).  If ALL would seek the Holy Spirit Who is our "teacher" there would not be a church on every corner but we would ALL be on one accord!

Tab:  You say "Jesus teaches love and compassion. Christanity teaches the Ten Commandments."  It's statements such as this that proves there is lack of "guidance" from the Holy Spirit in religion. We must first understand Jesus' Doctrine to be rooted and grounded IN HIM to obtain the "fruits of the Spirit!"  (Gal 5:2-23) Love is telling one "The Truth" even in our "fleshly" relationships how much more in our Spiritual journey? 

Christianity only teaches The Ten Commandments "..to bring us unto Christ.." (Gal 3:24-25; I Timothy 1:9-10)!  Once IN CHRIST, "the fruits of the Spirit" are benefits!   

By now, you have read something here that is not in agreement with what you have learned or been taught! That's why I love Lee's statement! However, by showing "love" and telling "truth," Jesus said this in Matthew 10:34: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword;.."  Why? Because He knew that "religion" would do exactly what they're doing today:  Misleading ALL! 

Therefore, since the majority are "complacent" in what "religion" has taught them or what they've taught themselves by reading Scripture without "guidance" of the Holy Spirit ("literally"), when "truth" is told from Scripture, it causes dissention!

Yes, it is all that you stated above but "mainly" lack of understanding of Jesus' Doctrine!

16. profile image50
    Juno Smithposted 8 years ago

Many people are not AFRAID, they don't know, don't want to know, or many know exactly what is in the Bible and choose to share, worship with people or not, or make another choice that fits their unique soul.
    Once, people roam your life, relationships and home to control you, you have obligations you can't handle or you can't be yourself without being a sinner or a bad person, you may not want to integrate a group that has requirements that you don't want or can't handle. It starts with just love and compassion, then sundays, then thursdays and sundays, then trips, then lots of money etc… in many cases. Once we've been there or know about it, we may want to love and be at peace with our family and few friends and be and do the best we can until we leave this world at peace with God, maybe not with "men and women of God".
    I personally don't confuse God, my relationship with him and others' views, demands, organizations.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The simplistic idea that christianity holds the key to morality I reject, 100%.  All I see in support of that idea is ignorancy, superstition and religiosity.

2. profile image53
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

AMEN: "..you can't be yourself without being a sinner or a bad person.." For WE love ourselves (or what WE want) more than GOD! WE "..love the creation more than the CREATOR." (Rm 1:25)

II Chron 7:14 "...shall HUMBLE themselves & turn fm their w

17. Dr. Haddox profile image60
    Dr. Haddoxposted 8 years ago

If one really take a long hard look at Christians and Christianity one may see that, in many cases, do-gooders, trying to do good, in the name of Jesus, are doing more harm than good. Hypocrisy? read more

18. profile image60
    Kamaraju64posted 8 years ago

Christianity in general is less dogmatic and more tolerant of non-believing people and so, the Outsiders have a reason to fear.They are justified in concluding that they may lose their Entity under the influence of Christianity,  an indirect threat because it is different and more receptive.

19. gconeyhiden profile image63
    gconeyhidenposted 7 years ago

Really?   I think the motivation behind your question is in itself very questionable and insincere.   For one thing the Christianity of today came about by violent power struggle that had nothing to do w Jesus teaching. It's a distortion.  People want the TRUTH and the RELIGION of Christianity actually doesn't offer that.  What passes for Jesus teaching is a mess these days. It's basically anything a Christian wants it to be.  You made Jesus into a God. nonsense really but say that, believe that in the middle ages and you could find yourself BBQed alive...for your own sake..to save your soul. what the ^%#%^. like Jesus would approve of what passes for Christianity? I don't think so.  Jesus gives you no room to distort his teachings..it has nothing to do w him being God.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Taburkett's question was answered numerous times, but he was unable to open his eyes to the "truth" he was seeking.  Inner truth.  Instead it was self-deception, ego and ignorance. Pathetic but he's left HP.  Others have replaced him.  Same old....

20. dianetrotter profile image62
    dianetrotterposted 6 years ago

I bellieve it is because of the "add ons" and/or the "take aways."  A Christian is a person that has a willing relationship with Jesus Christ.  It is not about following religious practices.  It's about learning more about God through this Word.

Many people today, like the Pharisees in the Bible, turn people away from God through their hypocrisy.  Many people don't want to give up what they like to do (sex, drugs, arrogance, hate, etc.)

Christians willing submit to
    1) Love God with all of our hearts, minds and strengths and
    2) Love our neighbors as ourselves.

Who are our neighbors?  Everyone!

You can't force anyone to become a Christian.  It is a decision that a person makes.  Christians should not hate people who are not Christians.  Christians should love non-Christians.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Di, in my view it’s the UN-loving attitudes of individuals who weave all manner of excuses to justify their judgement on others, then pass the onus onto their god...beliefs can help so many people to live as they wish.  So can “unbeliefs.”  All ok.

2. dianetrotter profile image62
      dianetrotterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi jonny!  Actually, the Bible speaks about those who judge others.  Move pole from your eye to see needle in someone else's.  It is difficult to spot the legit from illegit.  The relationship is between self and God.

3. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely Di.  It's like the curtains drawn across the windows of your private room.  No one else has a legitimate look-in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)