WHAT IS PRAYER?

Jump to Last Post 51-66 of 66 discussions (265 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

... and the religionist can't see anything wrong with the painful death of millions of children.... that about says it for me.

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see alot wrong with it. How does that negate God?

earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well it certainly negates the god that cures all ills and answers the religionists prayers! Or are we expected to believe that all the starving are somehow unworthy of being cared for, or that god is too busy finding car keys for a "believer?"
        We have an omnipotent god, who could not give a rats, or is not here.
        Pretty obvious really. This god could not get a pie in a pie fight!

2. profile image54
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Might one inquire what you see wrong with it?

2. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

Yeah thats the same thing you said back there... somewhere.

I got ya.

3. danielthorne profile image40
    danielthorneposted 14 years ago

There are no non believers on their death bed...

famous last words...."Oh God"

From experience... Not true!

4. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Prayer is an inane waste of precious time!
    Replace it with action!
    Stop asking, begging and hopeing.
    Everything in life is available!
    Make a plan and work it!
    Depend on yourself!
    If ya depend on prayer, ya may as well get a metal cup, put a few cents in it sit down on the sidewalk, rattle it and chant "alms for the love of allah  alms for the love of allah." You'll do better than just praying..:-)

5. earnestshub profile image81

Prayer. The gullible speaking to the impossible. smile

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen Earn!

smile smile

6. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

At the very least; Prayer is positive thinking.
    My grand pa said that ya gotta want something first or you ain't goina get it. Unless it's something that somebody else wants ya to have is which case you probably don't want it.
       Prayer never hurt anyone. And sometimes when you speak your desires ya get them. So who is to say that asking for it first didn't bring it into being?  And if we want to thank God, that ain't hurtin nobody either.
        Yea I got my hill billy hat on tonight.
      Goina go lay this tired old body down in a little bit.

7. profile image0
    Marliza Gunterposted 14 years ago

TRUE PRAYER IS TO WORSHIP GOD...HE HAS ALREADY MEASURED ALL THAT YOU WOULD EVER NEED AND WANT...IN WORSHIPING HIM, YOU ARE RELEASING HIS ABUNDANCE UPON YOU...SEE MY HUBS...

8. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 14 years ago

Prayer is the act of a man, woman, boy or girl, speaking to a divine God.  Some people use plain language and some use flower words.  Just talk to God like to talk to anyone else, He will hear you.

9. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Prayer is a sincere appeal to that Higher Power.  Being a humble penitent man means that it is a matter of the heart.  If you come to Him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit the Lord will serve as your Advocate to the Father.  If you do not have these qualities in prayer then your prayer will serve not good purpose and may rain judgements upon you until the message is made clear and penitence becomes you.

While the prayers of dying children are never heard!
      This is a definition of megalonania. smile

10. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

prayer is a unwanted phone call  at 3 am

11. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

I pray that the GOOD? lord would stop killing 1 innocent child every 3 minutes on this planet.
    Do I have to pray to jesus to get that one answered?...'cause I think this GOOD? lord has decided to just go ahead and keep doin' it...maybe his son?...has some influence...or do ya think it's just a waste of time?....

12. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Answers to the last three posts:
    First one.  He does hear the prayers of the dying children.  However, they are already saved.  This mortality is but a twinkle of an eye and when the dying, if they are so called to it, cross over they will experience that same difference in time reckoning and will feel relief.  Their primary purpose is stated in the next paragraph.

Second one.  I am glad from your statement you acknowledge Him as something real.  It is a relief.  Don't worry I know what you meant.  In posts past I have explained that by and large the dying children's salvation is all but assured.  Their primary purpose is for the rest of us to learn charity, action and compassion.  Hard but necessary lessons.

Last one.  Even with begging if it is with a broken heart and contrite spirit those prayers will be heard.  However, all things are in His will.  If something was meant to be that is a part of your prayers then it will be.  If not then either it's not part of His design and plan or something more needs to be learned before that prayer comes to pass.

13. earnestshub profile image81

This is a nonsense. The poor, beaten and deprived of the world are supposed to call that a life, then be grateful to a 2000 year old sky fairy for dying?
    See this is why I find religion so disgusting. If one is lucky enough to be born in the right place, no matter how big A bastard they have a great life.
    It really is sickening to think that despite every thing that happens, you religionists explain it away with stone age crud! smile

1. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting how there is always a response filled with complaints.  It goes to show how not having a long outlook on life can really lead one into conflict and complaint.  Having a greater perspective on life enables one to be more active and charitable in succoring the dying children. 

Life, in this sphere was never meant to be fair as far as opportunities and worldly wealth.  However, in the eternal outlook of our purpose all is fair and I hold no reservations in those words as I have come to recognize and see the intricate nature, grandeur and beauty of the plan from the starving child to the rich and powerful.  It is a full circle.  It's all about what WE make of this life and not a matter of what God allows to happen amongst ourselves.

What an incredibly narrow view you have of life. This life. I watch my beautiful grand children and see their lives are full of joy as mine is, I do not see that it would be acceptable for them to be living on filth from the rubbish tip and drinking water that is not fit for consumption, getting disease from it and dying at 3 years of age amidst abject poverty.
        Can you see that for your family.
        Empathy is an enlightened human understanding, yet an omnipotent entity does nothing? This is obscene, yet you and other religionists have never offered a plausible reason for this apparent oversight, merely arranging the "context" and meaning of a tome that you can make say whatever you like depending on which of the thousands of interpretations.
        Does your logic not detect that this is absolute rot? There is no god, there is no good in the suffering of children, and there is not enough heart left in religionists to value life.

That's the point!  That's the miracle.  It is also unacceptable to God.  That's why He has given US the power and the means of blessing the lives of those around us and by so doing learning compassion and charity along the way.  Without these examples and opportunites there would be no learning of any fruitful ends.  We, in affect, are commanded to be the miracle for the world as the power has already be bestowed and given us.  When the time comes for me to make an accounting of my work I, too, will be asked what I have done with the gift of liberty and my worldly means in support of succoring the poor and the needy.  If not prepared I will be beside myself at that ultimate realization that I've had the power all along.

You still don't get it. You offer worship for your prayers answered, what about those who are the victims. Why would their prayers go unanswered to the point of the terrible death of infants. You cannot see the madness for the madness!

To understand the reason for the madness you must first look beyond the madness.  Disease, starvation and murder are things temporal and are preventable by us. We have power over these things.  There will always be children who shall die before they are accountable.  As stated in my hub these are among the most valiant of souls presented before the Father.  There lot in mortality is to gain a physical body.  The same can be said for the mentally retarded and those who go through life unaccountable for their actions.  Yes, it is a disgrace what they go through but it is for a purpose.  Many things we can control and prevent and other deaths are for a much higher purpose for souls with a much more depth of faith and valiance than the rest of us portrayed in the beginning.  They are assures but must traverse their lot in life for their body and to serve a greter mission to all of us.

I see that it is a very close subject to you in relation to children.  My own firstborn died as an infant and so it is a very deep subject with me as well.

14. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

What is prayer?...I'm not sure?, but I think I do most of mine while kneeling in front of my toilet after a night of drinking...someone hold my hair  back please!!..Oh god I'll never drink again! Please...I don't want to throw up any more..Oh god!!

I guess thats more like pleading, damn I can't even pray right.

lol I wish I could not relate so well to this. smile lol

15. earnestshub profile image81

I have adopted one child (already had one of each) and do what I can to feed the starving and help locals in need, like many people do in my culture, if I could do more I would. The claim that religion makes is that prayer affects lives. Only the lives of the priveledged apparently. Your omnipotent omni scient omni present god is obviously quite comfortable with murder plagues disease and torture, he set them upon his "enemies" in the OT.
    It seems modern religionists are still OK with it.
    The fact that the whole nonsensical tale is a string of bits and pieces of half truths that date back to sun worship does not seem to be a problem either.
    Yet you would have people believe that your god knows what happens, then leaves his neurotic creation to deal with it?
    For myself, I would anticipate problems if I left my 2 year old in charge of a nuclear power station! What a nonsense this is!

I will grant you that what we, as a people, have done with our agency is a travesty.  God definitely disapproves.  At the same time the plan must go forward with choice and accountability at the center of it.  Prayers are answered.  Many whom you, yourself, serve pray for relief and deliverance by which God answers through your loving service to them.  Many pray for clean water in which dozens of organizations are now establishing clean water pumps and techniques on the African continent.  Many pray for freedoms and are now experiencing government and regime changes.  Many right now are unemployed in the States and pray for deliverance and are grateful for the oncoming tax refund to support their home.  These are answers - answers that are answered by God through the will and means of the people that all may be blessed.  This is the process by which we all learn.

I was in Desert Storm.  I have seen the wickedness and injustice toward children.  At the same time I have seen soldiers who have covered landmines to protect a nearby child.  Injustice - yes!  Miracle - also yes!

Things happen but all things have a higher purpose.

2. goldenpath profile image68

I do sincerely thank you for the civil exchange we have had.  It is approaching midnight here and I must rise at 4A to prepare my sermon and clergy duties.  I look forward to further exchanges with you if you so desire.

Thanks again!  smile

16. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

My current answer is unacceptable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)