jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Do You believe a man can become a god?

1. Rodric29 profile image77
    Rodric29posted 3 years ago

Do You believe a man can become a god?

Christianity teaches us that we can possess all the God has, which is all power and knowledge. Does that make us a god tool? Give your thoughts and explanations.

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I suppose you are referring to:
    Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in (our image), after (our likeness): and let them (have dominion) over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    John 10:34 "Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods"
    John 14:12 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

Psalm 82:61 "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High"
    I suppose if anyone from that era were able see the world as it is today filled with jets, cell phones, laptops cars/trucks/trains/ships, skyscrapers, the Hoover Dam, various medical advances, space travel and exploration, guns & nuclear bombs, movies, music files, holograms, indoor plumbing, central air conditioning, washer/dryer, microwave ovens, refrigeration, and countless other things (we) take for granted they would think them nothing short of "miraculous"!
    It has been said the only limitation man has is what he can imagine.

Rodric29posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I enjoyed this comment. I often say that we are inherently creative because God is our Father. We cannot help but build and organize great machines. It is in our spiritual heritage!

3. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

That depends on your point of view and what your definition of a god is. Julius Caesar, Augustus, Tiberius and most of the Roman emperors were defied after their deaths and worshipped as gods. Does that make them any less god-like than any other god we cannot see or touch?

4. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11817638_f260.jpg

Yes this is a distinct possibility as it is written in the bible; however, the journey to this does not end with our death or more precisely we cannot attain this pinnacle until after we pass on. The Sacraments can assist us to become more Christ-like and if we do indeed make a significant effort to become Christ-like ( I think of Muhatma Gandhi in this regard), after our death I believe the work is finished by God the Father and/or Son and/or Holy Spirit... Perhaps if you think of the Saints in this regard it will be easier to comprehend? Thus, they seem to perform miracles after they pass on and we could conclude they are more than they once were. Perhaps they are God-like?

This is a very good observation. Half of Christianity believes in the deification of the saints to some degree since patron saints are prayed to for safety or protection.

5. Zelkiiro profile image93
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

A man can only be a god if there are people who will worship him after he dies. Which means you're talking about some really rock-stupid people.

Either that or you gather enough souls in your nationwide transmutation circle to create a portal large enough to drag God out of the heavens and absorb him into your own body, but who has the time for that?

Wow, Zelkiiro, that was funny.  I at least hope it was humor, a bit of black humor, but still humor. I suppose also it depends on what we mean by God. Buddha would not consider himself a God, but he is surely revered as such by millions.

6. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

If you cling to self-concern, you can never become like God, because God is infinitely generous, unconditionally loving and zero self-concerned.

Nearly everyone on this planet is self-concerned. Even when they donate to charity in secret, they may feel a bit of self-satisfaction for having done a good thing, but it is an abomination! Any self-concern is.

Self-concern is ego -- the heart of selfishness and separateness -- antithesis of Love -- and entirely vulnerable as a physical construct -- a pseudo-self.

When we love others as ourselves, and wish for them everything that they desire, then we are being like God. When we lose our self-concern and take on the mantle of fearless confidence (faith) and utter humility, then we are like God and can attain his traits.

Jesus said as much in his teachings. I have tasted the lower rungs of this when experiencing miracles, dozens of times -- one of which was comparable to that of Moses parting the sea.

What I remember of that incident in 1977 was that I had no self-concern and pure love for all the perpetrators who assaulted me. I felt invulnerable and unconcerned about my physical body or the need to reach my destination. This was pure bliss. This is Love.

I like where you are going with this. I would be nice to read more about it. I think many of us have the Greek or Roman gods and goddesses in mind when we think of deity. The Judeo-Christian-Muhammadan God seeks the salvation of His followers.

7. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

Yes, Christianity teaches this. The Christ exhorts us to be perfect even as the Father in Heaven, and St, Paul definitely advises us to imitate Christ.

Man can and will become the Absolute but there is only one Absolute. The drop falls into the ocean and becomes the Ocean because by nature it is still water and not separate. So too, man is essentially Spirit. The Form is the same thing that will become formless.

Christ is different but only in degree. He has become one with God and a physical but an eternal Force or presence called Spirit. He can claim oneness by virtue of identification, by mystical union with this Source. The Son and the Comforter or Grace all come from this same Source or Spirit. This is a continuous Presence which runs through and is connected to all things and all life. Some call this God.

Man eventually returns to this state as he is made in its image, in the image of Spirit.

I like this. If I understand, we all inherit God's Glory and become God in conjunction with the ocean of God's glory--one in a countless number of inheritances.

2. manatita44 profile image82
      manatita44posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Perfect Bro Rodric. You understood!

8. cer1056 profile image39
    cer1056posted 3 years ago

As a Christian we know that we are made in the image of God - that means like God (the Father).

When we choose to truly believe in Jesus Christ and do the Will of God (Obey the Commandments) then we become the Sons of God.

Jesus Christ said that we would do greater things than he, that is Miracles.  Jesus Christ himself asked the Jews "Did not your fathers teach that ye are gods?".

As the sons of God we offer to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit who will lead us in to all Righteousness (being free from Sin).

Then we willingly beome the servants (tools) of God inorder that God's Plan and Purpose will be fulfilled in the Earth.

As a son of God who is fully imbued with the power of the Holy Spirit, we will soon do great miracles in the Earth.

working