Who is the ultimate authority on the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (170 posts)
  1. profile image52
    arsmithposted 14 years ago

Jesus stated; “But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.”

“Vain; Unproductive of success; Unreal, potential, virtual; baseless, in nubibus; unsubstantial, fruitless.”

“Doctrine; a principle of law established through a history of past decisions, or a statement of policy. "A teaching", or "instructions"; taught principles or positions, or the body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system.”

Even in His time on earth, men were trying to change His words and the words of the Law. Jesus warned all men that to change Gods word would result in severe punishment at the time of judgment.
    We are seeing that, not only from the past but most recently in todays society.
    We are seeing an egotistical disregard of the ultimate authority of the Bible,"God."
    The main association they are crying loud about is homosexuality and its place in the body of Christ and within the Church.
    Not only are these that teach such things but they also are condemning,deceiving those that they teach.

A false doctrine is anti-established rules, laws or teachings that originated from the proper authority, in this case Gods laws and commandments.

The Catholic Church, has from times past and today, violated Christ commandments not to call any man Father, and preventing priest from marrying. We know that the Catholic Pope is not the ultimate authority on the Bible nor its interpretations, this is a stated fact from Christ.

Lets read the truth;
    “But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
    And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
    Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.”

The reason for child molestation within the Catholic Church;
    “But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
    Now the Spirit speaketh expressly(with specific intentions), that in the latter times(End of Days) some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;  Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.”

As we near the end of days, we are starting to see the beginning of the great falling away spoken of by Christ, as a sign of His returning, the revelation of the anti-Christ, and the end of the world.
    These things cannot be stopped, but we can all be aware of these signs.

“Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;(anti-Christ)
    Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.”

The Episcopal Church ordains a woman Bishop altering and disavowing what the Bible states on the rules on a Bishops ordination.

God stated in His word that; “A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;”
    So then how can a woman be the husband of one wife?
    Thy try to get around this by false doctrine eliminating the passages of scripture that forbids this.

A Bishop from  the Evangelical Lutheran Church states the Bible isn't the ultimate authority on the Bible.
    “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” These church members, so called leaders, no not the God of the Bible, but have been seduced by seducing spirits, and are using the doctrines of devils;  speaking lies in hypocrisy they have erred from the truth.
    We cannot change the words of God to suite the political correctness of man.
    We cannot change what Gods stated about homosexuality.
    Christ stated that the ultimate authority on all scripture was in the hands of the father. He did not change the law but confirmed it.
    Stating clearly that what was written in the law was binding on all men with the exception of the rituals of the Jews.

“The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.”
    “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily(Of a Truth) I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

Ask yourself this question; if  “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul,” then why would Jesus rebell against the Fathers laws of proper conduct, and abolish homosexuality as an abomination, stated by the father in the Law?

Leviticus 18:22  Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
    Leviticus 20:13   If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

MHC, Quote; “Sins against the seventh commandment are here ordered to be severely punished. These are sins which, of all others, fools are most apt to make a mock at; but God would teach those the heinousness of the guilt by the extremity of the punishment that would not otherwise be taught it.

After divers ceremonial institutions, God here returns to the enforcement of moral precepts. The former are still of use to us as types, the latter still binding as laws.
    We have here,
    1. The sacred authority by which these laws are enacted: I am the Lord your God , and I am the Lord,  "The Lord, who has a right to rule all; your God, who has a peculiar right to rule you." Jehovah is the fountain of being, and therefore the fountain of power, whose we are, whom we are bound to serve, and who is able to punish all disobedience. "Your God to whom you have consented, in whom you are happy, to whom you lie under the highest obligations imaginable, and to whom you are accountable."Unquote.

Is this not the law?
    “For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.”

Homosexuality is not agreeable to nature, but is an abomination against it. How can we convert men and women from these vile lust, if a so called teacher, preacher or leader states that these things are normal and agreeable with Christ teachings. These are false doctrines, pull away and distance yourselves from any man teaching things contrary to the words of God.

ars.

Matthew 5:17-19    Psalms 19:7   Romans 1:26-27
    2 Timothy 3:16 -Mark cpt 7.Matthew 15:9 -1 Timothy 3:2 - Matthew 23:8-10   1 Timothy 4:1-3   1 Corinthians 7:9  2 Thessalonians 2:3-4    MHC. Webster.

1. JesusYourSavior profile image58
      JesusYourSaviorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God is the Author of The Holy Bible, through the powers of God's Holy Spirit. Man held the pen.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmmmmmmmmmmm sodomy

Homer Simpson

3. terced ojos profile image60
      terced ojosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It appears that you passionately believe in the book you are quoting and the God you serve.  Um...as the world learns more and more about Christians and what they have done in their Gods name.  They reject that God and that religion.  Particularly in countries that are educated and have access to information.  I assume you are quoting from the KJV.  Many learned people will have problems with the bible and the history behind its creation.  It is fraught with errors and contradictions.  Basically you really have to be a bible scholar to begin to comprehend the cultural, linguistic and historical basis of the book.  The way much of the book is taught is based upon Western culture as opposed to the Jewish mind of that time. In addition much of it was translated from Aramaic to Greek and so on and so forth.  The Creed of Nicea brought together some 30 bishops to codify the first New Testament copies of the bible. However since "The Way's"  inception into political power the Christian movement has been corrupted. As a result of the church's marriage to politics; she has fornicated with power and become drunk with its pleasures. Great evil has been perpetrated worldwide in the name of conquest and a Judeo-Christian God. If Jesus really does exist the people who say they are his followers have a great deal to answer for in the way of accountability and evil done in his name.

1. profile image52
        arsmithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Every man shall be judged upon his works, weather they are Christian or not. We are brothers and sisters to the Jewish people. We, as Christians, fully support Israel and pray blessings upon Her.

In one way I agree with you, but the Bible all ready tells us that many in the end days shall fall away from the truth of the scriptures, to be led by false doctrines. This is just another sign of the end of days.

2. Bruce_Leiter profile image58
        Bruce_Leiterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with terced ojos that when the Christian church married politics and  became the established religion of the Roman Empire and many countries in its various forms, it was the largest mistake made by the Christian church.  The horrors of the Crusades and the Inquisition were sins that the church will answer for.  Believers need to confess those sins to Muslims and other victims of the church's use of the sword against Jesus' teachings. 

But don't confuse the God of the Bible's rescue through Jesus by the Holy Spirit with his wayward followers, who have often misrepresented him.  Focus on the Bible and its meaning, because its authority arises from the God who inspired it.  Each passage needs to be interpreted on the basis of the definitions and teachings of the Bible as a whole, not on a modern dictionary's meanings or someone's own ideas.  The Bible interprets itself because of its divine Author.   What the Bible assumes, I assume, for the same reason.

4. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should have written a hub on this instead of posting it in a forum.

To answer your question, the Holy Ghost is the ultimate authority.

5. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehehe. Are you SERIOUSLY expecting anyone to read this??? It's like a mile long...

2. moanalisa profile image60
    moanalisaposted 14 years ago

Hmm, and the bible was rewritten, edited, etc so many times...

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's why Christians are so punished !!

2. nikki1 profile image61
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ONly by pastors, church related officials. Of course there are several versions out there. Catholics, methodists,. We all worship the same Jesus, God in different ways. Jesus was born Dec. 25 to help God teach the Romans people the loving ways of God and died because of the Romans on the cross. Instead of hating the Romans for murdering him he forgave them. And asked God to forgive them as well. What a hero thing to do, in my opinion. Merry Christmas to all. Todays his birthday.. please pay him some respect. Thanx.

sorry to disappoint you, but Jesus wasn't born on December 25.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
          Lady Guinevereposted 14 years agoin reply to this
        2. tantrum profile image60

The Roman empire had celebrated the feast of the sun god (Sol Invictus  on December 25 . It was observed as "the birthday of the sun."
          Then the christians in order to ban pagan idolatry, used the same date as the birth of Jesus.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image66
        Lady Guinevereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The clergy are duped and in kept inb the dark about the truth.  Don't beleive me?  You can read it in the Catecism of the Catholic Church and before you say that you don't go by the Catholic way and beliefs, these laws of the canon were there before the churches started to separate. They are told to purposefully keep the clergy and any parishioner in the dark about such things.

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Catholic Church is the mother of all denominations of Christian Churches. If there is an exception I am unaware of it.

1. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Separate Baptist Church.

As far as the thread question,
            the answer is
            The Holy Spirit.

1. Bruce_Leiter profile image58

As well as all Protestant denominations and independent churches, all of whom broke away from the Catholic church in the Reformation of the 1500s.

2. nikki1 profile image61
          nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

?

3. profile image52

When the Catholic church brought together the Bible we have today, it wasnt them that choose which books to include, it was the Lord.

The english translation was authorized by God so that the gentile race of english speaking people would be able to read and understand in our own language.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really, then what are NOT all Jesus' work in the Bible? smile

1. profile image52

Not all the works of Christ are contained within the Bible, and this is why;
              John 21:25  And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

The Bible is spiritually discerned, in other words, those that have given their life to Christ, are led into the truth of the Bible by the Holy Spirit. This is the only way any one can read and truly understand the scriptures.

4. Bruce_Leiter profile image58

I don't go by the Catholic way and beliefs, Lady Guinevere.  I respectfully say that they have added extra tradition to the Bible about purgatory, Mary's perfection, priests' celebacy, and other traditional additions.  They have that right, but as a Protestant, I believe the Bible must be our only authority.

3. profile image52

The Bible states that in the end days there will be more false doctrines and preachers. The Bible was and still is controled by the Lord. Do you believe that God would allow men to change what He wanted us to read and understand? I dont believe so. Yes there are many different translations but we must search out the true ones and ignore the ones that contridict a sound doctrine, which is by Jesus Christ and the Father. ars.

It might be helpful to know whether or not what is in the bible is truth? And, since, NO ONE can say it's truth, because it's foundation is a walking contradiction in and of itself....good luck searching. smile

1. profile image52

Jesus was asked that same question.

Joh 18:33  Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?
          Joh 18:34  Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me?
          Joh 18:35  Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?
          Joh 18:36  Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
          Joh 18:37  Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
          Joh 18:38  Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

I know by the spirit of Christ within me that Gods word is the only truth we can find in this world.

Explain what you mean, Cagsil.  What foundation is shaky?   You appear to be influenced by rationalism that thinks that everything in the Bible must stand up to your reason. 

Rather, God is a mystery as three Persons in one God.  Jesus is a mystery since he is fully divine and human.  God is perfectly just and merciful.  He is separate from his creation and yet completely involved in it.  He is everywhere present, all powerful, unlimited, and fully knowledgable of our actions, motives, feelings, thoughts, and decisions. 

Jesus took on humanity while remaining God with all of those same qualities.  After he went back to heaven to rule the universe with the Father, they sent the Holy Spirit to change people from unbelievers to believers. 

The whole Bible is God's truth.

Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Oh, WOW! That was funny. Thank you, I needed a great laugh today. I was in a good mood, but that made my day. wink smile

2. tantrum profile image60

The Bible is controlled by a Lord ?
        That sounds very dictatorial.

And anyway, the Bible was written by men, along different ages and civilizations.

The God of the Bible rules all things and people.  However, he allows people to rebell against him.  He's a lot more patient than we would be with people's unbelief.  But Jesus will come back some day to judge all people, according to Jesus' own words.  "Lord" is a word for his perfect rule.  He calls unbelievers to submit to his Word, the Bible.  I challenge all skeptics to read the Bible straight through.  One chapter a day will take you about three years.  Prove to yourselves whether the God who inspired it is the real God.  He is not a dictator but will judge everyone in the end through Jesus.

3. profile image54
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't most religions preach the same thing? Doesn't that look suspiciously like a "safeguard" to keep the religion intact through it's followers leaving the flock to pursue other religions?

Yet, he sent out a myriad of prophets and messengers with contrasting and contradicting beliefs.

And, like every other religion on the planet, their followers believe exactly the same thing about their god and their religion. They believe your religion is contradictory to theirs and is unsound, so it is ignored and considered irrelevant.

Amazing how that works, isn't it? big_smile

Q, Christian beliefs in the God of the Bible are very different from all other religions and the cults. 

(1)  The Bible says that God rescues believers by his free acceptance (grace) only because of Jesus'  perfection.  All other religions and the cults teach that we have to do good actions to be rescued by their Gods. 

(2)  The Bible says that God is three persons in one God, a teaching which cannot be resolved by reasoning.  All other religions have Gods that can come from human reasoning:  Muslims, an impersonal Allah who guides all things; Hindus, George Lucas and his Star-Wars Force, Native Americans, and New Agers, a God who is the same as the universe; and other religions' Gods--all of which, I believe, came from human reason.   Therefore, God inspired the Bible to reveal himself.

(3)  The Bible's rescuer is Jesus Christ, a fully-human and fully-divine person who lived perfectly, died for believers' forgiveness and new life, and rose again to give his believers final perfection when he returns.  No other religion teaches any kind of similar rescue of imperfect people who will become perfect in God's presence forever.  There are many other differences, but these are three.

The God of the Bible is supra-rational, that is, above human thought.  Therefore, people's reasoning cannot fully understand him.

1. profile image54
            (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's one of the very good reasons why their god and your god don't exist.

So, as long as you accept Jesus, you can do all the bad things you want and still be saved. Sounds exactly like Christianity.

Funny how YOU believe your religion is right and all others are wrong. Surprise surprise!

I suspect you're just unaware of the similarities of Christianity with it's progenitor religions?

Yes, but "peoples reasoning" about their gods will certainly be heard by the rest of us and just how much they believe they do understand.

Kind of like what you're doing. smile

3. blackjava profile image60
    blackjavaposted 14 years ago

No you're not, I am! lol

1. JesusYourSavior profile image58
      JesusYourSaviorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Imposter!

You don't even look like me!

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Dude, you have ONE hub written.  Why don't you take this and write a hub.  Get a good title/url and make it work for you. All you're going to get in this forum is some people who think like you telling you how smart and glorious you are and some other people who don't share your views pointing out how absurd it is to defend the truth of something by quoting itself as evidence of itself.

1. moanalisa profile image60
      moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I recommend you publish your beliefs in a Hub. If you'd like discussion in a forum, fine, but do expect some views that may not sit well with you.

By the way, arsmith, which version of the bible is it that you are following? I'm just curious.

1. profile image52

The King James Version

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

No One is the ultimate authority on the Bible. It's not true to begin with, so it is irrelevant.

It's garbage. Poorly written. Doesn't make any sense. And, makes people fight against themselves and others.

An 'authority'? No one can be an authority of a lie. smile

Thank you for playing. Much appreciated. smile

Cagsil, have you read the whole Bible?  I invite you to do it to prove to yourself whether the God of the Bible is the true God.  Understand that it was written in the ancient world by many writers.  You seem to think that you have to make sense of everything about God, who is so far above our puny reasoning that his mysteries cannot  be understood fully.  Read my other replies in this forum for my reasons.  if I could fully understand God and what the Bible says about him, I would be on his level, a major mistake that Adam and Eve and the whole human race has been making since the beginning.  God has changed all true believers' lives dramatically. including mine, to believe in him.  Those changes demonstrate the truth of the Bible, which describe those amazing transformations.

You're obviously new, but you are certainly barking up the wrong tree. To answer your foolish question- Yes, I've read it, more times than I care to remember. Plus, did 15 years of religious study to boot.
        You are joking right? You seem to think you have a grasp on the "god" concept, which by your words, you are one of 4 billion drowning in a sea of B.S. orchestrated over 2000 years ago, to delusion people so as to usurp power, wealth and control. And, had you done what I did, then you would realize it too.
        Apparently you are claiming to know more than I do, without having any inclination on what I believe or what I know. How nice of you. hmm
        Your reasons? Are irrelevant like the god you claim to worship. Nice to see you are following the wrong path away from Jesus. lol
        You talk as though everything in the bible is real or truth, which is your first mistake. Oh, remember, you are human and do make mistakes. So, not even you can KNOW for sure, that is why you have to wrongly use your faith and force yourself to believe it. It's ridiculous.

So, you keep believing what you want. You want the truth, walk the path of the doctrine of your precious religion, as I did. And, get your own answers.

But, please do not assume you know anything about what I know or believe.

6. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

Wow. It`s Xmas Eve and you folks are still fighting

1. moanalisa profile image60
      moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fighting? My response wasn't out of anger, nor a knee-jerk response out of a passionate belief I may have.

I am well aware that my response may indeed polarize me with some of the people here, but I feel it's a valid one as it was presented in a forum for discussion.

I have no intention to flame, belittle or to put down in any way what others believe, but when it's put to question in a forum, yes, I will respond. If the original poster intended it as a statement, then yes, I agree it should be in a Hub, but if they want discourse in the forums, then certainly, the topic is up for grabs and many people will have varying degrees of responses to it.

7. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 14 years ago

Probably the specialist historians who study it as an historical artefact & look at it from all angles. You need a lot of study under your belt to really analyse and a number of ancient languages.

It's already been through so many hands that dealing with it in an English language translation is insufficient. You need to go back to the earliest available texts.

Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not think that the problem is as much translation as it it is our "compulsion" to INTERPRET at every oppertunity those things that are translated.

8. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

No one, this makes no sense.

9. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

No expertise required. Read the books, realized they were written by psychotics full of hate, had no proof at all of a god outside their own text.
    If I start believing in nasty fairies it will be time to go see a shrink!

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Earnest
      You know nasty fairies exist..
      http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/images/new/1book.gif
      http://robhalford.com/quorum/images/smilies/groupwave.gif

and people thinking they're Bible experts as well.

1. profile image0

Me? I've never claimed that..
          How are you? You are not dressed for Winter..It's even cold where I am..

I wasn't talking about you ! I know, you know, that you don't know anything ! lol
            Oh ! and here it's summer !! Too hot ! big_smile

1. profile image0

I do know I know more then some people.

If you weren't replying to my message, why did you use my message to reply to???

I was talking to earnest. Who was talking to you.
                It was only a comment.

1. profile image0

Then in the future reply to the comment of the person you are addressing. You chose mine so you could start something just because you don't like me.
                  I don't care what you think.

Earnestshub, rationalism will not help you understand the God of the Bible; he's so great that he's beyond our minds' abilities to comprehend him..  Believers accept the mysteries about God, Jesus, and God's rescue in Jesus.  If you are going to cling to your idea that you can figure everything about the Bible out, you are going about it apart from the God who inspired the Bible's writers.  The whole Bible centers in Jesus Christ.  Please read my other responses.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed, being irrational helps a great deal in believing in your novel.  Read it and some parts left out of it.  Hated the ending!

10. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

The Bible is the authority on itself.  When in doubt look at how a particular teaching compares to Jesus' explanation of same or similar concepts.  Jesus came to help us understand the kingdom so He is the final authority on the Bible.

11. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

no one is the authority, geez roll

12. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

how could the answer to who is the authority on the bible be anything other than your own highest conscience which could be defined as God  smile

13. earnestshub profile image82

Well we always get the family together on Xmas day for a feast and an excuse to buy gifts for the little ones. It was great, and despite several religions in the family we got through without one mention of religion. smile

1. ncmonroe1981 profile image59
      ncmonroe1981posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's awesome, Earnest! Even if you don't celebrate the "religious" part, there's no good reason not to enjoy family, fun, feasting, presents, and togetherness!

1. earnestshub profile image82
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The kids have so much fun, the family gets a chance to talk to family members who have come home for Xmas and we have an opportunity to offer support to anyone who is doing it hard, it's all good. smile smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

I guess that would ultimately depend on the family now wouldn't it? smile

14. earnestshub profile image82

Phone or fax?

15. profile image0
    jcmmanuelposted 14 years ago

Technically: its own historical accountability / authenticity. Most ancient books have this kind of authority - its embedded stories have deep roots in a long tradition and historians recognize these traces when they compare them with what they know about the social & cultural etc. environment of that time. This is certainly true for the bible too. It is determined through text criticism and peer-reviewed journals on biblical archeology, theology etc. how these things fit with history and this helps us to interpret the accounts correctly. And certainly the God of the Jews was very much seen as showing himself also in nature (miracles were always an exception to the rule) - the bible has not been written by human typewriters but through human beings. This is what makes the bible account so authentic.

16. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

You might want to check out some of the books not included in the Bible.  Ordinary humans with all of their faults, including vanity and personal beliefs, decided which material to include in the Bible and which to leave out.  And if I'm not mistaken, King James was gay.

Gay King James was a merry old man and a merry old man was he..

1. profile image50
        A chanteurposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All versions of the Bible make it sound like one thing and one thing only: ONE GREAT BIG RIDDLE, and that my friends is the bottom line!!!

17. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Hey Earnest!  You just get up?

Been up a while. I got up at 7 to take a leak, fired up the vintage laptop, and have rebuilt two landing pages. smile

18. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Er...the last person to read it... booyakka!

19. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

God spoke some of the Word contained within it !
       The Church that the Roman Empire built constructed the Bible.
    They had the authority as to what went into the bible and what was excluded.
      They had the authority to say what every word in it means       
       They had the authority to kill anyone that wanted to change their interpretation of it, .. In so doing .. I would say that They had the authority over it.

Just my opinion.

20. brianzen profile image58
    brianzenposted 14 years ago

I think the ultimate authority on the bible is the one who believes because of it, however that is so personal it does not make them an authority before others. So there is no such thing.

1. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree smile

21. jamckinnon profile image57
    jamckinnonposted 14 years ago

The Bible is and always will be it's own authority because it is the word of God. 2 Ti 3:16 says so

Only the word of God is the Authrity.

22. shazz01109 profile image67
    shazz01109posted 14 years ago

Who's the ultimate authority on the Bible?  God is.  Even though humans wrote it, interpreted it, re-interpreted it, omitted things, lost things.  So God is the ultimate authority...

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

god? LOL, God/god is Baal. I doubt the false one has any authority over Elohim.

23. earnestshub profile image82

Why? Is it because you are convinced that a few Afghan goat herders said so? lol

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL.  I love yours and Marks sense of humor.  It is good fun.

It does not take a rocket scientist to learn to read.  Individuals from all over, everywhere are in control of the authorship of the bible.  Thus making them the authority.  As the lord intended.

1. profile image0

However, since Tor`ah and all the letters of 'new testament' were written in Hebrew, Christians would need to learn and study Hebrew and covenant language to understand it fully.
        Not that they can't, but certainly that they have been falsely taught. Which is why when former Christians/theists attempt to interpret it as psychopathic mumbo jumbo, I laugh my apples off, because they were falsely instructed and hence made their determinations based on false translations, teachings.

fun fun fun.

I'd say fun.  However, just for your information the new test. was written in Greek.  There is so much history on the subject matter, that it is not too hard to read that for yourself. Nevertheless, here is one site I like that might interest you, if you do not believe me. 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … agels.html

1. profile image0

Peter was a Hebrew, James a Hebrew, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Saul, Timothy and Jude were all Hebrew, spoke Aramaic and Hebrew -as well as Greek. Much was translated to Greek because of the influeza of Grecian/Roman -i mean influence... cough cough.

jeje big_smile

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

Greek

1. profile image0

lies.
            not one author of the 'new testament' was Greek.

next.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

Greek I say

1. profile image0

heh, I can't understand ya. sounds greek to me. lol

24. RachaelLefler profile image89
    RachaelLeflerposted 14 years ago

I don't believe in Christianity but I like your arguments and think this is well written! smile

25. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

sadly 95% of 'the bible' is Tor`ah which 99% of Christians do not understand. Which is the problem. Imagine translating Russian to Spanish. lol.

26. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Ummm...  ok.

27. roger wright profile image59
    roger wrightposted 14 years ago

It's not about who can interpret it the best.  It's about who wants a relationship with Jesus.

1. profile image0

wrong!
      it is about living the Word & Testimony.
      For the Testimony of Y`shua IS the Spirit of prophecy.
      Do not worship me, He said, worship Elohim.
      I call you brothers, not servants.

grrr, with this pagan mentality. it is frustrating.

next.

I thought it was Eloah?  Or is that the plural variation, or is yours?  I think Elohim stands for worshipping angels, gods...  all plural.  I'm pretty sure that is right.

So....  If my interpretation of Elohim is right, you'd be having beckon after more than one Hebrew God?  Really?

1. profile image0

Elohim is the totality of the Creator and creation.
          To go further it is ehyah asher ehyah : I am I.

Wrong!
            You are speaking in the plural context of Eloah.  So wrong!
            Next.

Oi Vey

2. profile image0

wrong again. eloah is the feminine context, mother nature if you will. next.

Are you a magician? And are you sawing that woman in half?

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Well how do you know that God is not a woman?  Met him personally have you? 

Interesting.  Sad.  But interesting.

Narrow minded adventures, lead to narrow minded debates.

1. profile image0

well, if He was just a woman, we are all in big trouble. kind of like Sarah Palin as president on the 'week' -if you catch my meaning. If anything like my ex during that week, 20 countries a day would be gone in a flash.. lol

just sayin.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Welcome to the forum Roger, we are glad to have your voice.  Really.smile

28. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Adsense
    I know, and you had to go and repost the darn thing.smile

29. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Hello!  I was next.....

I can't hear you I have a banana in my ear

I'm with you Ad.  Just having some fun with the Hebrew lang. and the "next man."

Well it *was* Greek. Just sayin'

I know.  However, he is talking about the original posters pin.  Not the translators.  Moreover though, is the fact that the Torah and the Bible is consider a narrative text.  Not a written one.  Anybody could have written the first translation down.  SO the argument of his is all BS. 

Nevertheless, it has been fun.  I like the "next" game.

1. profile image0

actually you're correct. Tor`ah is narrative.
              emm, "previous". jeje.

Oh good. 

Next.lol

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

The New Testament was written originally in Greek. Its writers were not Greek, but Greek was the international "official" language of the time, and of the region.

Adsense, I already made that argument.  So if you would read the entire thread, you'd see that.  I even posted a link. 

So you are badgering the wrong person.  Ok?  Got it?  Good.

Next.

Badgering?

2. profile image0

lol
                  i like you, you're spunky.

Thanks.  I like you too.  I'm getting sleepy though.  So I'm outta here fellas. 

Have a nice evening!

With love,
                    Julie

2. profile image0

really? by what Greek authors, please.

Read my post again.

1. profile image0

ps, i did. still says the origin was Hebrew -additionally translated to the roman common tongue -greek.

but a lot can be lost in translation.

ergo a Russian love poem in Spanish sounds like a hate latter to an ex mother in law.

30. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Where is my answer?

31. IntimatEvolution profile image69

pssst, next.lol

1. profile image0

sorry, fast posters. lol

32. earnestshub profile image82

It's irrelevant, it's all based on animal excrement to begin with! lol

But Greek written in animal excrement

33. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

great grecian goat sh!te!

34. IntimatEvolution profile image69

You know they call it a Coptic lang.  So whatever that means...., I guess is where the answer can be found.

I am not sure who you mean by "they", but Coptic is the language of Egypt which is still, I believe, spoken by a minority of Egyptians. Greek is not to my knowledge related to Coptic. In any event, doubtless there was a version (or versions) of the New Testament in Coptic (and maybe still are), but these were translations... from the original Greek.

35. IntimatEvolution profile image69

They, hm...

The Gnostics, Greeks, Western Scientist and Lang. experts, Religious scholars, etc. 

They have all agreed that some of the new testament texts, and old testament text were written in Coptic.  Translated later to Hebrew. 

This is what I know.  However, this bantering back and forth over who wrote what, an other stuff- pays no meaning to the question asked. 

You know- let me just agree with you to agree, and be done with it.  Thanks.

36. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

The ultimate authority on the Bible is the Creator- God Allah YHWH; who to rectify and revive the contents of all the corrupted revealed messages from Him, had revealed His Word of Revelation called Quran on the heart of Muhammad. Quran is inclusive of all the lasting teachings of all the previous revelations in principles. Quran is the only naturally evolved Revelation which exists in its original text in the original language.

If there is a conratdiction or ambiguity in the Bible; Quran clarified the truthful concepts and deeds. In other words; Quran is the authority on Bible.

Thanks

I love Jesus and Mary as mentioned in Quran.

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. karatekidjmt profile image52
      karatekidjmtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Word is Jesus and the Bible came into being by the influence of the Holy Spirit. That answer should satisfy the question. Another thing, people need to learn biblical history before trying to bring up cultural attacks on the Bible (da vinci code etc). those stories dont even make sense if you know just a little bit. also, you can discover if something is true or not, just by the lengths that people go to that try to say its false. there are phd's writing theories on how Jesus didn't raise from the dead. these theories are wacko to the 9nth degree but they show desperation. to discover why there have been so many attacks on the bible and why america as a nation as left godly priniciples, research the Frankfurt school and what those individuals have done

earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The bible does not need to be attacked. It does that all on it's own. lol

True Earnest!  The adherents seem to be able to dismiss those things which contradict themselves in the the Bible.  Blind faith is not just "blind", it is also deaf and dumb!  But I suppose many are happy with these qualifications!  Ignorance is indeed bliss!

2. getitrite profile image70
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't take a PHD to figure out that Jesus did not raise himself from the dead.  Just how many people have you seen raise themself from the dead?  That should give you your answer.  This is BLIND faith in pure nonsense!

1. karatekidjmt profile image52
          karatekidjmtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you can say he didnt all you want to, but that doesnt dismiss what happened. let me break it down. Jesus was in the tomb with the roman seal on it, guarded by roman guards, and then he was gone. that is what the phd's are trying to explain away and those theories are ludicrous.

2. profile image50
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend getitrite

It is sure a blind faith. Jesus never got raised from the physical dead; he was only near dead.

If Jesus died then he never fulfilled the Sign of Jonah that he promised to the Jews.

The Christians are selfish; only for their sins they want to see Jesus dead on the Cross; there is no Truth in it otherwise.

Thanks

1. profile image54

Note the contradiction.

1. profile image50

Hi friend (Q)

What is the contradiction? Please

Christians want Jesus dead only for their sins; and some say it very loudly that it is the Christians who have killed Jesus. May be it is part of faith of a denomination of theirs.  Is it not selfish to see Jesus dead only for one's sins. Can't the Christians leave sinning and save Jesus from a cursed death? They won't; I am sure; perhaps they don't love him anymore.

Thanks

1. profile image54

Your claim that you and your religion are peaceful.

1. profile image50

Hi friend (Q)

There is no contradiction there in reality; the contradiction is in your understanding.

Thanks

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see you do not hold honesty as a virtue. Is this all Muslims or just your sect?

2. profile image54

My understanding of reality is contradictory? Perhaps, we both have a misunderstanding of reality? Others also have a perception of our reality, a reality we both may have a hard time dealing with...

"According to Shiites, the 12th imam disappeared as a child in the year 941. When he returns, they believe, he will reign on earth for seven years, before bringing about a final judgment and the end of the world.

Ahmadinejad is urging Iranians to prepare for the coming of the Mahdi by turning the country into a mighty and advanced Islamic society and by avoiding the corruption and excesses of the West.

"We must prepare ourselves to rule the world and the only way to do that is to put forth views on the basis of the Expectation of the Return," Ahmadinejad said. "If we work on the basis of the Expectation of the Return [of the Mahdi], all the affairs of our nation will be streamlined and the administration of the country will become easier."

3. profile image50

Hi friend karatekidjmt

Jesus was a human being made of flesh and bones like any other person; he was not a word literally. What is a Word? A written words has letters in it; what letters he was made of?

The Christians get it very wrong. Jesus and John the Baptist were born as their parents were informed before their birth by the Creator- God Allah YHWH that they would be born; there is nothing else attached to it. The Gospel writers who were people of ordinary or low IQ people did not understand correctly; Quran has very clearly mentioned it. If you like I will explain this phenomenon from the verses of Quran; there are innumerable words of God; nothing very special about Jesus except that like John the Baptist, he was a Prophet Messenger of God.

Thanks

1. profile image54

Muslims got it even wronger.

1. profile image50

Please give an argument.

Thanks

2. profile image0
            Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and skeptic agnostics worst of all?

so no one gets it?
            what a planet!

37. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

The Protestant movement created by Martin Luther was about there not being an ultimate authority on the Bible. The idea was to make the book available to everyone in the common language or languages of the people so that anyone who wanted to could make themselves an authority. Nowadays if you want to go out and buy a bible in just about any language you can. I like the idea of there not being an ultimate authority.

38. qwark profile image62
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Seriously! Why do people even consider responding to this depth of primitive human ignorance?
    "There's a sucker born every minute”   P.T. Barnum

1. mrpopo profile image71
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hah, I learned that the hard way.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The show must go on qwark and mrpopo... (Well, it is in the spirit of P.T. Barnum).

39. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Oh, btw- Welcome to HubPages. smile lol

40. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

lol lol lol

Hey Randy, what's up? smile

Yo Cags!  I see we have another new thumper in the hood!  Gird your loins!  LOL!

Yeah, they keep popping up all over the place. lol

Whaddaya think about this one?  The south or the west?

I would have to say west. lol

My thoughts exactly!  You would make a great serpent!

Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment. wink smile

As well you should!  Serpents have a way of talking the ladies into doing things!  Even against the wishes of very powerful entities!  LOL!

41. profile image50

Hi my friends

The Bible does not have an internal system of mentioning claims and reasons in it; this is a weakness of the Bible; it cannot guide its followers; they say it is inspired by the Spirit; but it has hardly any spirit in it; may be with the time its spirit has become already dead, for sure. In fact, therefore, the Church and its followers have to artificially and continuously resuscitate Bible by injecting claims and reasons into it.

They have not realized but it is another fact that all the lasting and truthful teachings of Bible have been preserved by the Creator- God Allah YHWH with utmost security in Quran inclusive of the necessary claims and reasons; hence the Christians are advised to thankfully make full use of Quran. Quran is the ultimate authority on Bible in this sense.

Thanks

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can not recognise the spirit because you do not recognise that Christ is God come in the flesh for the salvation of all mankind. You choose to follow the doctrines of men. Christians have no need to consult the Quran when they already have the Word of God. The Quran is an irrelevance.

1. profile image54

So do you, Mr. Pot.

42. profile image50

it is only your confusion, my dear Skeptic friend.

Thanks

1. profile image54

If it is confusion, you were unable to demonstrate it just as you are unable to demonstrate Islam is peaceful.

Thanks. smile

43. renskei profile image61
    renskeiposted 13 years ago

the ultimate authority on the Bible is the Lord Jesus Christ

44. profile image50

Hi friends

Quran is the authority on all the religios scriptures of the world and it mentions it clearly and with brilliant arguments.

Thanks

earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep! I have posted many of the brilliant arguments here. Kill anyone who doesn't believe in your tome is the general theme! smile

Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yea and then .......  Someone introduced that
        "The enemy of my enemy is my friend stuff"

That's when everyone got  confused..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)