Was Jesus really born on December 25, 0?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (32 posts)
  1. anothermathgeek profile image74
    anothermathgeekposted 14 years ago

I was surprised to hear from a friend of mine who's a born-again Christian that Jesus was probably born in spring time.  She told me that its commonly agreed by Christian scholars.

She told me that December 25 was selected more to convert pagans.  That Dec 25 was the time of the Winter Solstice.

Is this true?  If anyone knows that facts regarding this issue and whether Jesus was really born on the year 0, I would love to know?

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup, I have heard this many times from all different sources smile

1. profile image0
        Ken R. Abellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesus was not born December 25, 0000 -- that, I think, is a well established & accepted fact.

Much scholarly evidence points to spring/summer in 2 or 3 BC as the ages are reckoned.  The selection of December 25th was for reasons about how you have described it - an attempt by the church to be culturally relevant.

2. TMMason profile image60
        TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe it would be about march or april? I don't remember the exact dates, but it would be as timed by Keppler's Conjuntion, The Star Of David.

3. profile image0
        Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was told that the earliest followers of Jesus were focused on what he said and did, not on the details of his life. Later, when a date was desired for celebrating his birthday, they chose the first day of the year, using the calendar in use at that time. That ended up Dec 25 on today's calendar.
        Good question.

anothermathgeekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  Thanks for this detail.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely true.  None of the dates we celebrate as Christian holidays have anything to do with the actual dates they happened.  The early Christians were smart - they took over existing holidays.

5. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of Christian holidays were moved or established on Pagan holidays for the purpose of trying to gain converts or discourage people from practicing their traditional faiths in favor of Christian ones.

6. mohitmisra profile image61
        mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some say Jan 6.

2. goldenpath profile image66
      goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Yes, it was springtime.  The exact date I will not divulge here as it will only serve to incite people in an argument.  Email me if you wish deeper ideas.  Years are always approximate due to the calendaring throughout the ages.  Although my faith believes the birth to be in the spring we do commonly celebrate the birth on December 25 as the rest of society does.  As long as it's remembered is the key and not necessarily when we celebrate it.  The practice and locations of animals in the story setting are much more indicative of a spring birth rather than a December birth.  There are other indications of the spring birth but again I should not go into it in this setting.  Hope this helps a little.

3. wsp2469 profile image59
      wsp2469posted 14 years ago

To answer the simple, yes or no question: No, probably not.

4. Bard of Ely profile image80
      Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Was Jesus ever born at all would be the question I would ask? There is a lot of doubt that he actually ever existed. I am a non-believer.

5. Ellie DropDead profile image58
      Ellie DropDeadposted 14 years ago

Hmmm This is Interesting I hear that the 25th was just marked as his Birth as a convenience too... Im Not Sure Though and the comments so far are pretty cool ... Im Thinking Was he ever born? I am A christian But i have doubts.

1. TMMason profile image60
        TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In convience to the pagan high days, the winter solstice and dionysian feastivals, among other things. It was incorporated to draw pagans, and make it more comfortable for the newbies.

1. Ellie DropDead profile image58
          Ellie DropDeadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah Okai !!
          Lol thank you!! lol
          now i know!!

6. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years ago

Although I have no evidence to back it up, I believe he was born in the fall. Maybe near the end of September or early October. To figure it out one must know the Hebrew calendar and how it works then go back through the years. Of course this is merely my oppinion.

I was think about the passover and go about 6 months later to get near the date. He lived on the earth for approximately 33.5 years.

7. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years ago

In answer to your question ;  I am glad to see that you have begun asking questions to your Faith.  YES  Faith is worth holding onto.  It only gets stronger when you question it.; is this true?  or is that true? Do I believe that "his" God" is the right one.... You have to find your own God.  And I pray that it is the right one to get you to where that you want to be.   Keep searching; You will find him. He is watching you in your hunt. And he will give ya a hint now and then if you are listening.

And no...  Dec 25 was never actually believed to be his birthday. The christians also wanted to party so they brought over a bottle of wine and entered into THA PARTY; a pagan holiday.
          YE  HaW

8. anothermathgeek profile image74
      anothermathgeekposted 14 years ago

It is fascinating that there seems to be a consensus here that Jesus was not born on Dec 25, 0000.

So, why are nativity scenes put up on Christmas and why do people have signs: "Jesus is the Reason for the Season"?

It seems confusing to me that such popular traditions do not match the facts.

This would also suggest that the Christmas star did not exist on Christmas.  Should this star (if it existed) be more properly called the Spring Star or the Summer Star or the Fall Star?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are confusing fact and tradition.  A date had to be chosen as Jesus' birthday even though the date wasn't actually known.  Having chosen an arbitrary date, the Church then proceeded to make the celebration their own.  Simple.

anothermathgeekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your point.  Tradition can be completely independent of facts.

Traditions can also be independent of belief.  The challenge is figuring out what we celebrate solely as tradition and what we celebrate as part of our faith.

At least for me, faith needs to have a foundation of facts. 

I think we can celebrate the spirit of Christmas without ignoring the facts.

2. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this
        1. Jerami profile image58

You were doing so good there; until the suggestion that the star did not exist at all just because they described itincorrectly

9. dogluver1 profile image59
      dogluver1posted 14 years ago

Jesus was born of December 25 I dont know what year.

10. topshelf profile image60
      topshelfposted 14 years ago

No Jesus wasn't born on 25 of Dec, it is a pagan holiday, and God forbids His children from following the ways of the pagans. Here's a website that talks about Christmas, Easter, and Halloween being holidays that worship the false gods. http://godkind.org/pagan-holidays.html

11. efeguy profile image40
      efeguyposted 14 years ago

cant tell,when we get to heaven GOD almighty will tell us the exact date,month and year.

but celebrating him is ok,no matter the different date by different religions

12. profile image0
      Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

In the nativity story of Luke, it says that Jesus was born as Joseph and Mary were going to register for some sort "enrollment" or census. I wonder if there is any historical info from the Caesar Augustus era about a census being taken. That might help establish a date?

I did some research on that issue years back. If I am remembering correctly, The only census that scripture could have been talking about was in 6 BC and the next was around 5 AD. It is most commonly accepted that Herod the great died in 4 BC. If the story of the Nativity is true, the birth of Christ would have to have been before 4 BC making 6 BC the probable year of Jesus's birth. And Jesus was said to be about 30years old when he began his ministry which was the custom.
             This would put the crucifixion to have taken place in 26 AD.

1. profile image0
          Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great info. Thanks.

I was appempting to pinpoint when Gabriel said that it shall be 62 weeks and then they were going to kill the Messiah,(Daniel 9:26) ; and what year that they actually did.
               It seems that Gabriel said this in 538 BC and
            Christ was crucified in either 26, 30 or 33 AD.
               I think probably 26AD.
              Gotta go to work for a few hours.

13. profile image0
      Over The Hillposted 14 years ago

It`s been routinely accepted that Jesus was born o4-02-B.C.E. I have no idea of month.

14. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years ago

no

15. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

December 25th was chosen because it was a Celtic holiday, so the Pope incorporated their holiday to be a Christian holiday.  The same for Halloween.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)