jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Do you think patience reflects an artificial attitude?

1. m abdullah javed profile image78
    m abdullah javedposted 2 years ago

Do you think patience reflects an artificial attitude?

We do admonish patience and demonstrate the same. Sometimes I feel that the attitude adopted is an artificial one, do you feel the same or what?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12936831_f260.jpg

2. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

Real patience is a virtue. I reckon some folk just count to ten and then go from there. But real patience does not require the count. I am patient to almost a fault. There is something in me that does not give toward knee jerk reactions. Blame it on age and experience.
    If someone needs to try to be patient the cause is lost. Patience is a way of looking at people, places and situations around you. If they immediately disturb you then you have not patience. If something out of harmony peaks your interest and that is all then you most probably have mastered patience.
    I find that empathy is the route to follow. Or as us Christians like to say; do unto to your neighbor as you would have them do unto to you. How can I brashly judge my neighbor to a point of lack of patience if that is not how I would desire to be treated.
    Patience is a virtue not an act.

m abdullah javedposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I admire the way you look at this virtuous act Eric, thank you.

3. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 2 years ago

Dunno.

I do know that my personal patience is just to avoid me slapping people upside the head. Repeatedly. For the apathetic person I am, I have oddly strong emotional responses to people displaying large amounts of willful ignorance and stupidity.

It's gotten to the point where I'm patient/level headed by default regardless of the situation, and it would require a mountain of effort to truly break that...

Thanks Link, you have nicely explained.

4. Venkatachari M profile image44
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

Patience is a great noble attribute of virtuous people. It is a real virtue as Eric Dierker has said above. Take the case of Gandhiji. He used to show his other cheek when a person slapped him on one side. That is real patience. Patience believes that all things will be normal after some abrupt violence or disagreement. You are giving the other person much time to cool down and understand the circumstances and realise his foolishness. It is a great service you are doing by keeping patience. It is not an artificial attitude. It is innate in human being. Artificial people may get disturbed and turn violent after some moments. So they can't be termed as patient people.

Thanks Venkat Sir, Chaala Baaga Chappyaru

5. Theresa Jonathan profile image80
    Theresa Jonathanposted 2 years ago

Patience demonstrate your level of social and spiritual maturity. Patience is the learned behavior motivated by love. You ignore others' emotional blemishes by choosing to see more good in their general behavior to maintain your own peaceable choice and attitude. You communicate compassion when you ignore disturbed souls; they need that!

Very true Theresa, thanks you.

6. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Patience is determined by anger, not behavior following. The behavior following relates to attitude most likely of circumstance. Both patience and attitude can be learned. To not be artificial it must be natural. So, yes patience can reflect upon an artificial attitude IMO.

For instance I am diabetic a chronic illness. It won't go away. I love snickers chocolate bars. At one time I could eat them anytime I wished. When I first couldn't I would be angry or I lost patience with my medical condition. My attitude was forget it I am eating one.

Today, I know I can eat the small one smack dab middle two meals as a snack (Carb count stuff). My patience at first did not change because I was still angry about it. But, I developed an artificial attitude limiting when to eat one and how big.

Today, my patience has changed. I am no longer angry with my condition. Matter of fact when I have a sudden drop in blood glucose levels I smile because I can have a regular size Snicker Bar to boost it back up. Hooray!! But, today people lose patience with me. They are angered when I don't eat there delicately prepared desert. Go figure.

Very well explained tsmog, thank you.

working