jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are stupid"....George Betnard Shaw

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 23 months ago

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are stupid"....George Betnard Shaw

To me this could mean-lies keep relationships going. The truth ends relationships.

How do you interpret this thought given by Shaw?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13077298_f260.jpg

2. Oztinato profile image71
    Oztinatoposted 23 months ago

I'm really not sure what Shaw meant by this quote. Are you sure it was Shaw? Maybe he was having a bad day. I'm sure Shaw was a sincere person who was sure of himself so Shaw couldn't be calling himself stupid. Or could he? I'm not Shaw so I'm not sure about Shaw.
    Perhaps Shaw wasn't quite sure what he meant.
    Shaw has slipped in popularity during the last century anyway. Not his best quote I'm sure.

1. threekeys profile image80
      threekeysposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Cheeky!

Yes its Shaw's quote.

Yes he is an oldie but still his views  are still relevant or applicable to me.

This quote is saying being transparent is not always wise. Its hard to know when black is the new white & vice versa.

3. WordCrafter09 profile image77
    WordCrafter09posted 23 months ago

I think it could apply in a number of situations, personal, work, whatever (example, piping up at work and announcing that someone's idea is "stupid"); so I don't think there's only one thing meant by the "saying".

Having said that, it's unfortunate that so many people have come to equate being sincere with being stupid.

4. Chatty Chat profile image85
    Chatty Chatposted 23 months ago

Not sure who Shaw is, but I think it means be smart with what you say.  With sincerity, a person may elicit an unwanted response even though the person is being truthful.  It's like telling a girlfriend that she looks fat.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 23 months agoin reply to this

YOU DON'T know who George Bernard Shaw.....IS?  Very unbelievable....INDEED.  Mr. Shaw was a playwright.

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 23 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8897469_f260.jpg

It means that people who are forthright tend to be castigated by others.  People who are truthful are viewed as very disturbing to the status quo.  They are considered to be tactless & not game players.  They upset the societal applecart so to speak. 

In some cases, people who tell the truth are viewed as quite clueless.  They reveal themselves too much & that isn't good.  There is the adage that one must be careful about what & how to say things.  There is also the belief that people who have some sort of intelligence aren't so blunt in their verbiage.  They are adapt at telling others things to assuage them.  There is the further belief that people who aren't so bright have to tell the truth as they don't possess the discernment or guile to do otherwise.  They just let it out regardless of the consequences.

6. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 23 months ago

I do not know what Shaw means, but the wise sometimes hold the truth, not with malice, but knowing the truth can create irreparable damage to one's psyche.

In my Flash Fiction, The Tragedy of The Telephone Call, a woman told a male friend about his wife's relationship with his best mate. He went home and found them together, killed them both, then committed suicide. The woman, distraught by the turn of events, felt responsible and also killed herself. Quite sad.

The wise say: "Never tell a cruel truth." or
    "A truth that is told with bad intent, beats all the lies that man invents." Blake, I believe.

Yes, I do believe that it can be very dangerous to tell the truth. One should consider the whole picture with a pure heart and a good motive.

1. manatita44 profile image83
      manatita44posted 23 months agoin reply to this

Thanks again, ThreeKeys, it is your Heart that is feeling my words, and that is a victory for God...for you and I ...much Gratitude.

7. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 23 months ago

I like Oscar Wilde so, I'm going to answer with a quote of his: "Give a man a mask and he will tell You the truth." : )

working