Why should homosexuality be illegal?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (167 posts)
  1. MeGunner profile image61
    MeGunnerposted 14 years ago

Two homosexual men were sentenced to 14 years imprisonment for 'unnatural acts'in Malawi. I agree homosexuality could be considered a sin to a 'certain' God, but illegal?

1. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The act itself should never be illegal.  That would be to further infringe on the agency of man.  We all have the right to choose.  The act itself is definitely wrong and goes contrary to the process of man and man's intended purpose, but that's beside the point.  I don't judge the people and, therefore, should not advocate infringing on their right of orientation.

I associate fine with those of this orientation.  We share communication and a jovial nature.  They know I don't advocate their private acts, and yet they know I still respect them just the same as everyone else.

2. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i dont think it should be illegal..it is personal choice and making illegal doesnot make someone straight , in same way making legal doesnot make someone gay..

3. profile image53
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The relevant notables on Malawi:

- According to 2007 estimates, approximately 80% of the population is Christian.

- Societal issues included child abuse and forced child labor, restricted worker rights, human trafficking and violence against women.

- As of 2010, homosexuality was illegal in Malawi, and homosexuals faced extensive jail time when convicted.

Any questions? smile

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Malawi is rampant with HIV Aids so 14 years is probably a blessing in disguise..... Unless they drop the soap in the showerblock yikes

1. Jerami profile image60
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And don't pick it up for BUBBA either

2. profile image53

Perhaps, because they are rampant with Christians?

4. Bill Miller profile image59
      Bill Millerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure Obama can find a way to blame Bush for this.

5. brimancandy profile image79
      brimancandyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am trying not to laugh at everything that is being said on this topic. It is very sad, and stupid at the same time. Passing laws against gay people and putting them in prison is not going to help. As a lot of straight men who go to prison often end up having sexual relationships with other inmates while they are there. Doesn't it cross the people's minds that this will probably happen to those people who they send off to jail? Obviously there are only men in these prisons....so where is the hetrosexuality in that?

I recently saw a report in the united states where some christian senator wants to segregate gay people from straights in our public campgrounds, as their lifestyle might rub off on straight families, and pass a law to enforce it. What a fricking moron!

How does this stupid senator expect campgrounds to enforce this law?
      Are they going to ask everyone who arrives if they are gay or straight?
      As much as our government would like to believe they can tell who is, and who isn't, is like trying to guess the identity of a person inside a black box. Unless of course the box is covered in glitter, with the words flaming queen on it. They are out of luck.

Then the person inside the box, just might be your crossdressing uncle.

1. TMMason profile image60
        TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I recently saw a report in the united states where some christian senator wants to segregate gay people from straights in our public campgrounds, as their lifestyle might rub off on straight families, and pass a law to enforce it. What a fricking moron!"

Where did you see that?

I would think his political career is over if he is a Republican. If he is a Democrat he is safe though.

1. brimancandy profile image79

The senator was from Utah. Aparently there is a huge population of gay people wanting to camp there. The story was online as part of Advocate magazine, wich is a gay & lesbian news magazine.

6. TheSituation profile image62
      TheSituationposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Operative words here "In Malawi"

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It's ridiculous that such a thing would be illegal anywhere.

MeGunnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very. Wonder what they will do about bestiality and masturbation

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, those are both completely different things from homosexuality.

Do you think these are 'worse' than homosexuality?

1. ryan8247 profile image60
            ryan8247posted 14 years agoin reply to this

come on bro everybody masturbates. Bestiality is worse than all of them though. You have to be a pathetic human being to go looking for some from your neighbors pet.

Exactly..... So YOU Have some experience of parrots being squarked against their will? hmm

2. Pearldiver profile image68

Jails tend to be a place that accepts (or looks the other way) the very behaviour that got them there in the first place. hmm

As far as jumping animals is concerned.... I'm sure there will be other inmates there that will be prepared to act the goat yikes
        Perhaps they flaunted the law by considered the law to be an ass hmm

3. mrpopo profile image71
    mrpopoposted 14 years ago

Well laws of countries were based on the laws of God, so I guess that would be why the two are closely connected, even today.

I don't get it though... if we all have sin, why punish someone for being sinful as a homosexual as opposed to anyone else? Technically, you'd have to punish everybody.

An odd reason to punish somebody, but laws never made much sense to me, anyway.

Well, i never thought of it that way. Maybe the Malawian law is not totally out of line then

1. mrpopo profile image71
        mrpopoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, if they're to be based on the laws of God.

But what if those are out of line?

2. brimancandy profile image79

Based on the laws of what god? That's balony, considering that there are so many different versions of "GOD" depending on your country of origin.

Laws are made by men to control the masses, and they only use god as an excuse to enforce laws that they made up along the way. Otherwise we would still be burning people at the stake, and the world would still be ruled by kings. One reason why religion is constantly changing, because they are running out of ways to use their power for conformity.

People who believe they should pass laws against gay people, are still living back in the dark ages, and they aren't going to change. I try not to pay attention to them. Yet, every time a gay event comes up, they always show up with their signs...spouting their hate. Get over it.

4. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Sodomy is illegal isn't it?  How do you think gay men have sex...?

1. nifty@50 profile image68
      nifty@50posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You said a mouth full, no wait, that's the second way they have sex!

1. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  okay, you win!   Gay sex was always something that didn't make sense to me...lol

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Homosexuality is NOT about sodomy; there actually are homosexual men who do not enjoy anal sex.

Sex and pleasure is NOT all about penetration no matter what kind of sexuality one engages in.

Homosexuality should NOT be illegal; these people are superstitious, overzealous, narrow-minded gits.

Well said TGS.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Thank you, mrpopo...I like your avatar and screen name smile

Thank you, and I yours! Very creative, it attracted my attention on more than one occasion.

My name is simply a reference to the anime DragonBall Z, and my avatar my dog smile

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is illegal, and plenty of straight men enjoy it. technicaly, in some places, anything other than heterosexual "missionary style" is illegal. hmmm
      I think it started out illegal cuz somebody wnated to be the one to "catch them in teh act."

5. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

If any given instance, pertaining to the lifestyle of couples, interferes or violates the written or natural order of the majority of the population of humans -for purposes of creation and family development -without the assistance of mechanics- is deemed unlawful. The premise of sexuality is based solely on social acceptance without verifiable and sustainable relevance to a healthier and more abundant social habit, expression and the well being of its citizens...

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 14 years ago

Homosexuality should be illegal for the same reason other morality laws are allowed to stand.  Laws prohibiting such things as prostitution, minimum dress codes, suicide, and polygamy are all a result of some religious nut deciding his neighbor shouldn't do things his God says he shouldn't.  The vocal religious nut is the reason.

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

The upshot in my opinion is that gays are not doing much harm to the rest of society by being gay. Attempts in the past have been made by various governments to get rid of them for good and these attempts have cost time and effort and have failed.

There is a gay Mardi Gras every year in Sydney, Australia celebrating the struggle to end discrimination against gays. This Mardi Gras started off as a protest march. Gays in Australia were at one time rounded up and jailed for being what they are. This doesn't happen anymore. There is still discrimination and I suppose in one form or another it will always be there. In any event the Australian government have stopped wasting time and money on trying to stop consenting adults from being themselves.

Where you can argue there isn't a victim you must wonder if there really is a crime.

I was against gays when I was younger but being older now I see more profit in a live and let live attitude.

2. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 14 years ago

Pastor D James Kennedy before he died did a sermon on homosexuals.  He stated that percentage wise people living the homosexual lifestyle died much earlier then heterosexuals.  He also said that once the homosexual is accepted into the heterosexual community the homosexual begins working to change the heterosexual people over to the homosexual lifestyle.  I might still have a copy of this sermon at his website which I don't have I just know it's the Coral Ridge church in Florida.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He was wrong...

How old was he when he died?

2. Pearldiver profile image68

So it was his belief that Homosexuals promoted themselves in exactly the same manner as religious zealots? hmm

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I think it should be illegal because of how much fun it is to feel superior to others and command the power of God and just be generally better than someone else.  THat's great stuff. 

Who gives a crap if someone is a real actual person whose life doesn't parallel our experience, upbringing, DNA, biological programming, sensory assessments, religious beliefs or anything else.  Screw em for not being us.  They deserve to suffer if they don't have a majority or even if they do have one but don't have our access or political acumen.  Screw em.  Make em suffer.  F--- that's fun to do.  Man.  Who doesn't love subjugating people?  Just great stuff I tell you.  Great stuff.

We have to enjoy it while we can.  All the other groups that weren't "equal" have gotten the same rights as us over the last century or so.  That's not good.  Finding groups to be better than is getting harder and harder to do with all this inclusive crap.

Fight the good fight!!!  KEEP THEM DOWN!

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64

LMAO!!

Shades, have I told you lately that I love you? If I have, I'll say it again. You rock, my friend.

2. mrpopo profile image71

Haha, nice.

4. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 14 years ago

It shouldn't.

5. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 14 years ago

Shadesbreath has it right.

In my experience, there are 2 reasons why someone is vehemently anti-gay:

1) they are gay themselves and are dealing with feelings of self-loathing (Ted Haggard, George Rekers, countless other conservative homophobes who've been caught with their, ahem!, pants down)

2) they are buying self-righteousness on the cheap (an attempt to CYA for much bigger sins they feel guilty about)

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have to admit, cheap is a great price to pay for self-righteousness.  Look how hard the saints and moral notables throughout human history had to work for that kind of thing.  Screw that.  I want easy superiority.  I can grab a cheeseburger and fries at the drive-thru, a twelver at 7-11 and be home superior to gays within an hour of getting off work. What possible incentive is there for me to do otherwise?  I mean, if I cross some boundary, I can grab me some drive-thru forgiveness at the church of my choice.  So, whatever.  I rule.

Thanks, Spider. smile  It's nice to have a couple of people who get my humor.  lol. (and thanks for the nice things you said in that recommend a hub thread the other day.  I saw that.  That was very cool. Thank you.)

1. livelonger profile image85
          livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

Self-examination is so yesteryear. It's nice to be able to be selfish, greedy, materialistic and everything else the Big J.C. condemned repeatedly, but then act as if homosexuality and abortion were the only things that mattered. Especially if you're a heterosexual man. The only sins that are worth condemning are those you're in no danger of committing, right?

I'd say it's even better than paying for your sins a la Catholic indulgences, in that you don't even have to part with any money! big_smile

Umm, I was totally with you here on the selfish and greedy thing.  That's fun. I love doing that.  But then you were all "as if" homosexuality and abortion are the only things that matter.  I read that and I was all, "What?  Are you trying to suggest that they aren't the only thing that matters?"  I mean, what are you saying?  It's like you are trying to act like those two things are NOT the total center of the entire universe and that everything important for our planet as guided by a U.S. superpower doesn't hinge in a most pivotal and essential way on those two things.  It's like, dude, are you even paying attention?

That's not going to make you popular pointing out stuff like that.

My mistake! A grave one. That should read: "...but then remember that Jesus really only cared about homosexuality and abortion, even though he never talked about it. And, as a Christianist Republic whose Founding Fathers were members of the Westboro Baptist Church*, the US should honor what we'll assume were Jesus's wishes and ban homosexuality and abortion."

* Please refer to the most recent edition of a Texas high school US history book.

About time you finally get it.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image70
                Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Livelonger, you forgot about the guns!

2. profile image0
              EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol ::splutter:: Oh b****r,I just got coffee all over my monitor...

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64

No need to thank me for the truth, my friend smile But you are very welcome.

3. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got it too.  About two lines in, a grin.  Then a giggle, then an outright belly laugh and a "Hey, c'mere!  You gotta read this!"

Great post, Shades!

6. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years ago

Why should anyone care what others do in the privacy of their bedroom...kitchen...closet...back seat??

I thought you liked animals? hmm
        Has your parrot ever been squarked against it's will? yikes

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love animals, but I've never had a parrot! They talk too much and might reveal secrets. lol

Yeah Right.... Nice Dodge there lol

2. livelonger profile image85

Good question.

But honestly, homosexuality goes far beyond what we do in the bedroom. It is a fundamental sexual orientation, about who we fall in love with. (I figure you know this, but since it's a public forum, it bears repeating...)

Has YOUR parrot ever been squarked against it's will? hmm

7. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 14 years ago

If one is of the Christian faith we are all sinners and we enter into Heavening by accepting the conditions God has layed out for us because there is none on this planet that's good enough to get into Heaven on their own.  Since Mr. D. James Kennedy reflect the passages of the King James bible I believe the message he was conveying is we can't do anything and everything we want and think that will be acceptable with him.

If one doesn't believe in the Christian faith then it shouldn't matter what Mr. Kennedy had to say.

8. profile image0
      somelikeitscottposted 14 years ago

Beware...my soapbox is out and I'm on it! While the Christian Right quote the bible and the gays quote scientific studies it seems to me that it all comes down to a very biblical scientific term called, "The Ewwww Factor." That's right, white supposed Christian men (who are taking their rentaboy.com dates to Europe or cheating on their wives with female staffers)are trying to emulate an ideal of what politicians and religious leaders are instead of what they should be. They all think they're the Kennedys (but not everyone can be a drunk or sleep with Marliyn Monoroe...well, unless you dig her up but that's a story for another time). My point is that if they thought they could get away with it here in the US, they would in a heartbeat. Because to think of two guys together is something that they can only think of as sexuality or the "fag" they made fun of in the locker room from grade school through college. Two women together, that's hot to them but when it comes to trying to keep homosexuals second class citizens I'm afraid it's this "Ewww Factor" at work. You don't want the people you made fun of to be as good as or as popular as you, right? For those who run this country still rule based on fear of their own God, their own idea of heaven and a sense of family that was created by 1950's sitcom writers. In the words of Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol, "God Bless Us...EVERYONE!"

9. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Whatever two (or more) sane adults want to do on their own free accord in privacy is their own business and the law should have nothing to say about it.  As a wise man once said, the state doesn't belong in people's bedrooms.

As far as what or what isn't a sin, that's up to an individual and his or her God(s)

10. Jerami profile image60
      Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Any  legislating that governs what these two people do in the privacy of their own bedroom SHOULD also govern what those other two people do in theirs,

What is going to happen if a law is passed that short fat ugly people are no longer allowed to have sex cause they may produce  short fat ugly children?.
      I will be in a heap of trouble.

If people think that GOD is going to punish these people then I say let GOD do his job. It isn't my job.
         I'm too busy to be responsible for other people being punished or not being punished.
         And I hope that you are too busy to punish me for my dirty deeds.

11. profile image0

...so take the sin or bedroom out of the equation.
      Now, either by natural order or man made order -which are what laws govern- how is homosexuality seen?

Is it a natural or man made event in humans?
      If man made, it is protected under natural insurance/health laws and vice-versa?
      Does it foster or hinder posterity and family unity?
      Does it express a positive, healthier, safer society -mind & body?
      Does it effect economics, education and history?
      How does it benefit society as a whole?

These are things the law views without moral issues...

the sexual issue is redundant, really. The adult entertainment industry has taken the planet by storm -legally.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In whatever i do or do not do, I think it is irrelivent if other people or society believe that my action:

Is it a natural or man made event in humans?
        If man made, it is protected under natural insurance/health laws and vice-versa?
        Does it foster or hinder posterity and family unity?
        Does it express a positive, healthier, safer society -mind & body?
        Does it effect economics, education and history?
        How does it benefit society as a whole?

The question is does my action harm anyone without their permission?

12. Jerami profile image60

All topics on humanity are complex.

I feel that whatever anyone else does is none of my business until They try to make me watch or involve me in any way.
      Then it becomes my business.

If anyone wants to engage in any kind of dangerous activity, I say So Be It .. BUT.... If ya jump out of a plane with or without a Para shoot, race motorcycles, etc., don't expect others to pay the consequences for your mistakes..

I'm just saying that if something is a sin or not?? I think that God would be the only one qualified to judge.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree

If you give someone the freedom ruin their life, it means that they just might do it!

2. profile image53

This one is simple. Holy book good, homosexuality bad.

Homosexuality, fornication, divorce, It is hard to say which of these things are the most destructive to mankind.

When we put all of our attention on any single one of these things; the other two does not appear to be as bad.

1. profile image53

None of them, Jerami. It is the holy book that is the most destructive to mankind.

As I said... when we put all of our attention on any one thing the others do not seem so bad.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How exactly are any of them (homosexuality, fornication, divorce) destructive to mankind?

And I am capable of putting my attention on three things at the same time.

I bet ya a nickel that you know the answer to this question.
                  You just want to know if I do,

Children find divorce quite disturbing. Divorce is a financial set back any way that we look at it. And it messes with our minds. I know it rocked my world.

Fornication usually messes with someone’s mind when expectations are raised but are not meet.
                    STD are prevalent with both homosexuality and fornication.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

And any dog breeder can testify that whenever intercourse takes place genetic manipulation takes place however on a scale.

How is this destructive to mankind? I can see how they can be destructive on a personal level - but - staying in a loveless marriage can disturb children, and can be financially destructive also; suffering the frustration of a sexless existence that ends in raping children can be worse than divorce and fornication. Condoms will take care of most STDs and diseases get transmitted in all sorts of ways.

Not sure what the genetic manipulation has to do with anything.

Just saying that in a perfect world it would be best when these things are avoided in the first place.
                         I think that most divorces could be avoided if we didn't live in a hurry up world. We get married for all the wrong reasons in the first place.
                        If we were a bit slower jumping into marriage we wouldn't be in such a hurry to jump out of it.

In a perfect world it doesn't take much to send it down a slippery slope. 
                         Too bad that perfect world is long gone.
                         Humpty Dumpty died.

As far as the genetic thing is concerned I find it amazing that a pure breed dog can have sex with another breed and this changes its genetics in such a way that it is no longer a pure breed. I think that whatever happens here is somehow at the center of the definition of Adultery.
                         The body has been adulterated the same way too many cooks in the kitchen commits adultery to the pot of Chili.

Just isn't as good as it should have been.
                        Something like that anyway??

2. profile image53

No Jerami, every "bad" thing, just like every "good" thing has it's very own set of characteristics that should be acknowledged.

13. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 14 years ago

I am all for it to be a free choice for all men... the more men that make that choice the more women that are free for me... lol

That is one way to look at it. And I agree ..except I've already had my quota.... besides,,,, One is all most more than  I wanta tend to these days.

I just thought of something. Old men that are too old to enjoy them selves doin what they caint do anymore are the ones passing laws against goin it.?   

When you are to tired to be sinning every night,,  It's easier to recognize it as something that we shouldn't be doin.

14. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 14 years ago

Q man....

alot of other countries than just Christian ones find that behavour unacceptable. I don't agree with the prison time. But just how does a society at large condemn an act without legistlature?

And this is just another shining example of why you all should love America. We don't put you in prison for that shit, anymore.

But what does a society do to codemn the worst immoral behavour?

How do they keep it from propagating in mass?

Just because something feels good, does not mean you should do it. And it does not mean it should be taught as accepotable to our children.

Just becauase it is your choice, and we don't outlaw it, does not mean we should promote said behaviour and equate it to morally correct behaviour.

So maybe this country wants to make sure it doesn't spread and pollute the rest of society.

We all know moral degradation corodes the foundations of society.

The suggestion that a society that doesn't fling homosexuals into prison somehow nearly constitutes "promoting" it is so absurd it's hard to wrap my head around.

If we totally ignore the thunderous ignorance behind statements like "it's your choice" and the raging arrogance and religionist presumption of lines like "spread and pollute the rest of society"... if we ignore all of that steaming heap of garbage and just focus on the massive absurdity of the assertion that failure to imprison these people is akin to posting up signs saying, "Women suck. Jump a man today!" then all I can say is, WOW, you actually think that?

Because if you really do think that this is possible, if you really do think that it is a choice that you--clearly a heterosexual male, or at least fighting to be--actually have a choice of what and who attracts you, then what you are saying is that with the right amount of persuasion, someone could convince you that chicks aren't hawt.  You are admitting by your assertion that you do not think the sensory and neural biology that grounds your attraction to females is real and that you, pious, chick-loving man that you are, actually fear, perhaps deep down, but still fear, that some homo is gonna come along and charm you right out of your boots.

That's sad.  Not because he might not be a really dreamy guy and the two of you would be very happy together, but because you don't understand how humans work.

It is promoted in the American School Curriculum throughout the United States. It begins in elementary school and continues throughout high-school.

That is a fact.

It is not absurd to think that OUR tolerance has been minipulated and sued into acceptance and promotion of this immorality.

I understand plenty about human behavour.

Are you calling the acknowledgement of homosexuality "promotion."  If I say, "There are lions and tigers and wild boars and giant spiders in the forest," does that mean I am promotiong wild boars?

Yes.

You see, those wild boars chose to be wild boars.

Why would anyone choose to be a wild boar when they could be a spider?  Spider's are way cooler.  They have 8 legs, not lame 4. AND they can swing on webs.  That's dumb.  The boars should change their minds and become spiders.

They just haven't found Jesus yet.

Did you know that wild boars are taught to our schoolchildren?!

1. profile image0
                    Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

no way!! *gasp* The only answer is to stop sending kids to shcool!! wild boars indeed!!

That might be the only reasonable thing to do. Schoolchildren might think that being a wild boar is an acceptable "lifestyle choice" and want to be one. They learn about wild boars as elementary school children and learn about them through senior year in high school. FACT!

2. TMMason profile image60

It is promoted in the American School Curriculum throughout the United States. It begins in elementary school and continues throughout high-school.

That is a fact.

Can you not read.

We promote it.

Taught in schools in this country to chidren who are then taught to "explore all sexual options".... yeah thats very moral behavour to teach children.

And yes... promote.

I could care less what someone wants to do. But do not teach my children it is normal acceptable behaviour.

But it is normal, acceptable behavior. No matter how scared you may be that you feel attracted to men - it is normal for a proportion of the population and no matter how much venom and lies you spew - you are not going to change that.

I take it by "fact" you mean - your personal homophobic opinion? Or did Jeebus tell you into your head? lol

1. profile image0
                  Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Normal? By what conditions?
                  Acceptable, seems to be the case.

So the issue isn't "Jeebus" or homophobia, its a social problem and perhaps to some extent a health hazard. Adding o it what Jerami said -divorce, broken families, etc.

How interesting is that. So it effects all parts of society.

ps, which came first: the homosexual or the homophobia of sexuality.
                  seems the root of the problem is the latter.

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

How exactly do those lessons go?

Teacher:  Ok class, today we are going to learn about being gay.

Billy: What's "gay?"

Teacher: Well, it's something we want to promote in school.  So, I need all the boys in the class to move to the rear of the room.  Come on, everyone, get moving, let's go.

Billy:  How come the girls don't have to do this?

Teacher:  We're saving them for the porn industry. 

Billy: Oh.

Teacher: Okay, now, all you boys hold hands and start kissing each other.

Boys (in chorus):  Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Teacher (picks up yard stick): Do it now, you little F-ers!  You are going to learn this whether you like it or not.

Billy:  But I don't want to kiss a boy.

Teacher:  I don't care.  (hits him with stick).  You kiss little Johnny now or it's twenty whacks.

Billy, looking longingly accross the desks at little Suzie sitting there, sweet thing he adores, succumbs out of fear and kisses Johnny.  It is wondrous!  He can't believe how amazing Johnny is. All thoughts of Suzie's pretty face, soft hair and blossoming curves rush from his mind and he is converted!  The gay agenda has triumphed again!!!!

lol This is really funny!

Well, sad, when you realize lots of people think this is actually true.

But then again, there are lots of people who think people rode dinosaurs, too.

Wait, what?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Creation_Museum_10.png/800px-Creation_Museum_10.png

2. Cagsil profile image71
                  Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol

1. profile image0
                    kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol

3. TMMason profile image60

No fact as it is a part of the Curriculum of the school system, books and all.

http://www.lc.org/profamily/school_liability_report.pdf

Canada does also...

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/mar/10030216.html

It is taught in schools... endorsed and promoted... as in the schools actively promote immoral sexual behaviour under the guise of education.

How is you all think you can deny something that has been recognized by all sides is occuring, and not be thought of as deceptive... or just lost on the subject of homosexuality and the schools in the western world. It has been the topic of heated debate now for years?.... Where have you all been?...

And Mark can make all the lil snipes he wants... it does not change the fact that it is taught and promoted.

I am sure these guys/gals/others and undecideds, could tell you all about it.

http://www.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/all/home/index.html

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

Have you even READ this? 

First off, it's not an academic paper, it's a propaganda paper produced by people who already have an opinion in feeble guise of academic.

Second, it ABUSES the quotes that is uses, and makes terrible, opinion-based counters as if they are dismissive, just one example of many is this one:

Again, most homosexual activists argue that such mental health problems are the result of societal nonacceptance and/or stigmatization of homosexual behavior. Such conclusions, however, are unlikely and still unproven in scientific circles, and schools should avoid basing policies on unestablished assumptions.

Look at the second half of that... "such conclusions, however, are unlikely and still unproven in scientific circles"....  really?  That's your counter?  Because you choose not to include other evidence that you don't like you just say "it's unproven."  It doesn't even address the concern.  The sad part is, it keeps bringing up the point that the rational folks want to make, and then just keeps going, "nuh unh" as the response.  Totally sad.  That paper would get an F- in an Freshman academic writing class.

Your support with that document is horrendous and actually works against you.

The question was whether or not it is a part of the American and other schools, curriculum.

Not thier opinion.

You, as I, can google (Education, Schools and Homosexuality) all together and read all about it there.

You keep denying we're promoting it in schools.

We are.

That was the point.

I don't care if you like thier opinion, or not.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Show me ONE curriculum or lesson that teaches children HOW to be gay or that they SHOULD be gay. Just one. And I don't mean one that accepts the fact that gay people exist, or one that teaches that we probably ought to treat people like human beings regardless of their sexuality. I mean, I want to see a curriculum with a "Being Gay FOr Dummies" manual. C'mon. Bring it on.

You're hateful, AND you have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.

I actually went and read his "evidence" on that a few pages back, and, it's pretty sad stuff. It's the same crap trying to pretend to be real research but falls apart instantly upon the slightest attention to how sources are used and how claims are countered.  Total lameness. Opinion pretending to be actual argument.

To quote:

"It [homosexuality] is promoted in the American School Curriculum throughout the United States. It begins in elementary school and continues throughout high-school.

That is a fact."

This is obviously a new usage of the word fact with which I am unfamiliar.

Please define fact, because based on the context, I assume that fact is being used here to mean preposterous falsehood.

"But just how does a society at large condemn an act without legistlature?... what does a society do to codemn the worst immoral behavour? How do they keep it from propagating in mass? "

There's lots of ways a society can condemn behavior they disapprove of without legislation. They can socially shun, or ostracize, the ones who step beyond the pale.

They can boycott businesses that promote behavior they disapprove of, like Focus on the Family has done.

They can voice their disapproval, saying, "I think what you do is wrong."

There are plenty of non-violent ways for people to show disapproval without infringing on anybody's freedom to act in ways that people disapprove of.

15. profile image0

A Semantic example:

If two trees failed to reproduce, no one would notice.
      If 2 million failed each year, a forest the size of California would disappear. Multiple that by 50 or 100 years. Now factor in the entire planet.

IMO
      There is natural order to life in humans.
      We need air, water, food and reproduction.
      Remove any -in natural expression- and humans are doomed.

And divorce and fornication effects this exactly how? If anything, fornication does the opposite. Guess you missed the news about the artificial insemination we can do now as well. Lesbians can have kids without having sex with a man. I know - shocking and goes against your ISM.........

But - I take your point and when the perfect word of god was being written, it was really important to the men who made it up that their particular tribe kept producing more and more offspring. Sadly - this was the best they could think up and probably didn't realise we would be fighting about it a few thousand years later.

The opposite applies now, because - also in the natural order of things is a boom and bust cycle to populations that suggest we slow down the breeding or the planet will cull us. I hope we don't get culled as badly as the dinosaurs did. wink

1. profile image0

a. So now you are justifying/defending humanities arrogant defiance against natures systems with artificial 'sweetners', Come on Marcus, really?

b. The Ism, which you constantly mention incorrectly I might add- is the human consciousness not just religion -good job though, it confirms point A.

c. Take what you like, I never mentioned bible, torah or quran or any religious book. I did mention nature. The fighting of religious concepts v morality v science will continue so long as humans continue to define themselves and their own agenda -individually or collectively- against the grain. The last recorded 6000 years proves it by every measure.

d. Worse. At least the planet buried the dinosaurs according to its order. Humans -if it comes to that- won't have a shred of fossil remaining.

A. No - I am not. Divorce, homosexuality and fornication are what we were discussing as far as your religion goes and you are changing the subject. It is perfectly natural for humans to have more than one partner - and it is perfectly natural that a proportion of the population prefers members of the same sex. None of this goes against nature.

B. Rubbish. Point A is semantics at best and all I see is you defending your ISM.

C. I agree - that is why I want to change it. Religion goes so against the grain - it will always cause division and conflict. Tribal thinking that was written by short sighted, selfish man for personal gain.

Nature does not recognize morals and the so-called morals pushed by the religionists are out of date at best. Morals adapt and change by popular opinion and the sooner we accept that we are the ones that write them instead of imagining your invisible super being that you don't believe in, the better.

D. I am unable to predict the future, but we look to be in self destruct mode, a lot of which is caused by tribal religiosity and a fear of death.

1. profile image0

LOL. Everything in your hub-life seems to revolve around two words: religion and fear. Haven't you -and all of us- had enough religion/science for one lifetime?

Just because some of humanities actions are ACCEPTED practices by other humans, does not mean they are natural or healthy/valuable. I put homosexuality, Catholicism & Hiroshima/Nagasaki in the same bowl. Man made, man dumb. Now, West Nile and N1H1 are totally different story. Nature is going to win either way. The universe is not a respecter of persons.

Admit your own adaptations to that social ideology and you would be happier for it.

smile

LOL - Guess you have not seen the work I do here then.

So - you are saying that having more than one partner is un-natural? Having sex with many partners is un-natural? And Having sex with members of the same sex is un-natural? Your ISM is showing Dude. It is natural to sow as many oats as possible with as many females as possible. This ridiculous religious idea of marriage is what goes against the natural way of things.

Healthy/valuable is a value judgment. I could argue that homosexuality IS valuable, because it cuts down the breeding stock and gives us a slightly better chance of not destroying ourselves.

But - I agree the universe/god is not a respecter of persons. wink

1. Bill Miller profile image59

You said
                  "It is natural to sow as many oats as possible with as many females as possible."

I would have to agree this is natural for four legged animals, humans who have made a decision to marry however can make a decision to NOT behave this way. Strange concept I know.

I was not talking to you and you missed the point I was making. Go back and read more so you understand.

1. Bill Miller profile image59

I don't care if you were talking to me or not, Is that a rule on these forums that I can only respond to people who address me?

Secondly your point was taken, considered and dismissed.

Man is able to be monogamous and most are, the others have not evolved to the point they should have.

If two men want to have sex then they should have the right to do so, in the United States they do have that right, the equal rights clause of our constitution gave it to them.

If someone disagrees with this decision by the Supreme court then they clearly do not support our constitution!

2. profile image0

Deary me, again, religion. Oy vey!
                  smile

You keep denying it. Best not to read what I said or address it in any way though huh? wink

1. profile image0

denying what?

-as far as i know, religion & science have nothing (or very little) to do with the natural order. Unless Dawkin's & Parsley found a way to become the universe/nature that I am unaware of. So, in humans alone, in nature -without our influence- where is it natural for multiple partners, two male, two female, couples/swingers, human-animal, human man-made objects, etc to naturally do these things?

Instinct? Instinct is simple the bootstrap of consciousness.
                      so it is a choice humans make to do, not a natural process.

EDIT:

As for downsizing: why does nature need humans to do that.
                      A tsunami can wipe out 250,000 humans in 30 seconds.

Marriage is not from religion, though most would think so.
                      I used to marry things all the time -its called cooking.
                      (i.e. marinated anything, emulsion, infusion)

That's not a very good analogy. Trees live a lot longer than people do under normal conditions. Also, a tree doesn't disappear if it doesn't reproduce any more than I would disappear if I never had kids.

1. profile image0

Not to mention the fact that homosexuality is practised by 1,500 species in the animal kingdom* without any apparent effects on population, which blows the "homosexuality is unnatural" argument right out of the water.

Mind you though, given that a lot of animals eat their young, it's also a bit dangerous to use any sort of argument along the lines of "it's natural, therefore it must be right".

*http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/1 … spx?page=2

2. profile image0

really? good thing you're not a botanist.
          thanks for participating though. smile

16. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 14 years ago

The key to understanding certain religious people's homophobia is that they truly believe your sexual orientation is something you choose, and that's completely flexible until the day you die.

So a 60 year straight man who has never truly been attracted to men might *poof!* find himself irresistibly attracted to another man. At least that's how they see it.

They can not wrap their heads around the fact that when people suddenly announce that they're gay, it's not because they changed their minds but that they were gay all along. That's because most grew up in a world where gay people were invisible (i.e. these people are old).

So they view homosexuality as this pernicious virus that fells all heterosexuals if they "tolerate" it, because, naturally, gay people are constantly recruiting. And, since they view sexuality as something that can change in any person at any moment, they probably live in perennial fear that they, too, will succumb to the "gay temptation." And maybe all of mankind will, too, so that we'll stop reproducing as a species.

I find it really hilarious. They invent all sorts of junk science to back this up, too.

"So a 60 year straight man who has never truly been attracted to men might *poof!* find himself irresistibly attracted to another man. At least that's how they see it."

No.

We see it as he might succomb to his carnal wants, and decide to try a guy. His choice... then if he can minimulize it, and justify it as alright... and he isn't repulsed by his own behavour...he cintinues to do it.

See how that works...

it is called "choice".

Yes, like I was clear in my post, that's exactly what you believe. It explains everything, really.

It's not true.

You're either born gay or you're not. If you're turned on by the opposite sex at the age of 15, you're pretty much never going to be attracted by the same sex. Ever.

Well, at least that seems to be the case for men. For women, sexuality seems to be far more fluid. Not sure why.

17. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years ago

I don't see how so many people have a problem with homosexuality. If somebody wants to be with the same sex, that's their business not yours. It doesn't do anything to you so why should you even care?

Stop bringing logic into this discussion.  This is a forum for passionate, unreasonable rancor directed at other people, fueled by the assumption that if we hate hard enough, judge and condemn hard enough, and believe hard enough, biological and psychological realities will just go away.  Think of this forum more as a seance than a conversation.  No place for your logic.  Move along.

No

This is a discussion about behavour and the need to deter immoral behavour.

1. mega1 profile image80
            mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ok.  define "immoral"!

1. Jeff Berndt profile image70

Ooh, can I try?

Immoral: anything that produces an "ewww" type reaction in the person using the word "immoral."

2. mrpopo profile image71

lol oh man you crack me up

big_smile

1. profile image0
              LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, I'm done with bringing my crazy ways of thinking to this thread. big_smile

18. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years ago

really? and here I thought rape was bad....

19. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 14 years ago

Believe it or not sodomy used to be illegal in the US.  It was invalidated by the 2003 Supreme Court decision Lawrence v. Texas.  Amazing...

It freed some men from jail didn't it?

20. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years ago

if you will all just take a little break, now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fginS6uhw-8

21. TMMason profile image60

livelongerposted 1 minute agoin reply to this

"Liberals do not want any sort of religion used in the public sphere.

On the other hand, fundamentalist Islam and fundamentalist Christianity are two slightly different flavors of the same thing. I don't know how you can follow one and condemn the other without sounding like a hypocrite."

You really don't know shit about either religion if you think they are all that similar. Just because they supposedly come from the Abrahamic faith, does not mean Islam is the same as Christianity.

Two very different religions, Christianity and Islam are.

Yes, i'm sure it looks like that from the "inside."

Kind of like North Carolinians and South Carolinians saying that they're completely different from each other.

1. profile image0

Or the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea lol lol

Life of Brian? Nice. smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

For Christ's sake it is the Popular Judean People's Liberation Front. Why does no one ever get it right? sad

1. profile image0

I think you'll find that's the Judean Popular People's Front - a third splinter group which broke away from the main two.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image70

What ever happened to the Popular Front, anyway?

22. TMMason profile image60

Wait till we impose Shari'a... then we get to stone the gays and the un-believers.

Yes Shari'a really reflects the Christian doctrine...

That is a lame understanding of christianity you have there.

I see what you are saying. The two religions are exactly the same, but one is slightly more advanced and has been forced by secular governments to stop doing some of what the other one does. Now they use lies and propaganda instead. I agree. wink

"Wait till we impose Shari'a... then we get to stone the gays and the un-believers.

Yes Shari'a really reflects the Christian doctrine..."

Maybe we should go back to the way Christianity was practiced in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, what with all the brandings, and the ear-amputations, and the hangings, and the pressings.

Or were the Puritans not really Christians?

23. optimus grimlock profile image60
      optimus grimlockposted 14 years ago

well its not natural thats for sure! If they every make it illegal, then alot of other stuff would be to. I dont think it should be illegal, however I dont support it.You just have to be cool with everyone and not worry about their sexual preferance.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If its nit natural why is it demonstrated in so many species?  It's not like penguins and hedgehogs are learning it from MTV.

24. optimus grimlock profile image60
      optimus grimlockposted 14 years ago

1500 huh I think your way off, but you make a point. I should say humans arent born that way!

1. profile image0

How do you know?

25. raisingme profile image72
      raisingmeposted 14 years ago

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." ~Mother Teresa

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

love that, thanks

26. Jerami profile image60

Justine76

Would it have made any difference in your perception of my statement if I had said Pretty women. 

It is scary that some people think that our genetic make up can not be changed by outside forces.

Well there goes the evolution theory right down the drain.
         The concept behind Genetic research is as to which genes should be altered to cure disease?  If science can do this on purpose it stands to reason that it is already taking place in nature.

27. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years ago

If religion was made illegal that would make sense.

Running around hating people on behalf of an invisible sky fairy?
      That should be illegal!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)