Genesis 1-1-4

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image52
    haj3396posted 13 years ago

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. ( God create matter)

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. ( The matter had no form and was void and the matter was coved with water, which made it dark and the Spirit of God was there)

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. ( and God created light )

4 And God saw the light, that [it was] good: and God divided the light from the darkness. ( I think verses 4-5 speak for them-self. God is making day and night)

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

1. the pink umbrella profile image75
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thissounds like someone explaining something to a child.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or a child explaining to an adult. smile

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or like a deep thinking goat herder explaining the origin of the world to his tribe ?  long long before christians were executing anyone who claimed the world was not flat !

1. profile image0
            Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That goat herder was once the second most powerful man on the planet at the time -raised by Pharaoh, educated in life, history, culture, astronomy, mathematics, engineering, war, etc -before he became a sheep herder. Just a thought.

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said. smile

2. profile image52
            haj3396posted 13 years agoin reply to this

do not down goats sometime they have more knowledge than man. Isaiah 28-9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? [them that are] weaned from the milk, [and] drawn from the breasts.

10 For precept [must be] upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little:

2. profile image52

Isaiah 28-9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? [them that are] weaned from the milk, [and] drawn from the breasts.

10 For precept [must be] upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little:

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So how do you explain this:

Gen 1:16   And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also. 

Gen 1:17   And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, 

Gen 1:18   And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good. 

Gen 1:19   And the evening and the morning were the fourth day. 

My question is, IF God created day and night on the first day, why would he wait until the fourth day to create the Sun and Moon? 

Since we now know that the Sun is the light that makes the day, this is absurd.  What in the hell was God thinking.  For a deity who created EVERYTHING, God sure seems to be extremely ignorant of the basic laws of the solar system--a solar system that He made.

Right here at Gen 1:19 is where the bible negates itself as the word of any omnescient God, and anyone still believing in its veracity is doing so against his own intelligence and integrity.

It is apparent that this is the writings of mere primitive ignorant charlatans or storytellers--who are not near as intelligent as even we are.  Yet many modern people give these primitives the honor of "God"

If this is God, then we are smarter than God.  What need is there for an inferior God?

This is nothing but blind faith, fueled by a neurotic fear.

1. profile image0

I agree wholeheartedly with this - however as a story it does hold up if we ignore the day by day thing and consider it as event after event. As I understand it when the earth cooled down and became a planet as we know it, minus the veg and our microbial ancestors, it was surrounded by the remaining debris that continued to rain down for a period of time, along with violent geological activity everywhere - this would result in light but no visible sun before it cleared up.  Not saying that the book is telling that story but the storyteller that made it up wasn't a million miles off the mark.

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Geeze.  The firmament of Heaven.. hmmmm... God set the moon and the sun in hell to give earth light! lololol.

3. profile image52

Any fourth grader will tell you to grow plants you need light, but , the rulership of day and night was not need until God decided to make it. you are a vary smart person, so speak like it you do not need to say words like you said.

2. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

yes people think the bible is hard to understand but it is written in a language anyone can understand, We have such a kind God.

1. profile image0

Putting this under Earnest is a violation of thread rules big_smile    It should be moved immediately to the argument thread !

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Odd. You admitted to me that you have never even read it. No wonder it is so easy to understand. lol

3. profile image0
    Over The Hillposted 13 years ago

Better to remove Ernest.

1. Joy56 profile image68
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i do wish someone would, maybe he will go and play with his grandchildren and leave us alone.........  to talk some sense.  My dad is very sick at the moment.   He cannot breath very well, and could not make it down stairs.  We are buying him a stair lift.  When i was over last week, he asked me to the read portions of the bible to him,  it really was comforting for him, and i enjoyed doing it also.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear that your dad isn't feeling well.
          There is great confort and sorrow to be found is scripture.

As is true in life; we find what we are looking for in it.
        It explains what we are to go through and what is on the other side when we get through it.

1. Joy56 profile image68
          Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

my poor dad is kind of running out of breath literally.  He has a scarring on his lung, and even oxygen will not help.   He gets breathless, and just feels that he will just stop breathing ...... he got a chest infection also.  Poor man, but his spirituality is helping us all a lot.

4. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Earnesthub in my opinion is a total waste of space.  The bible however is my fave book, i will defend it to the hilt.  I absolutely love it, and the world of course as the good book always said is a sphere.

1. profile image0

If your book cannot face testing, and this is what our Earnest does, it is just an object.

If you have Christian beliefs then you should welcome those beliefs being subjected to scrutiny by others as it is hard to do it yourself.

I hope your Dad recovers from his infection soon, struggling for breath is among the worst things I can imagine.

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I lost my dad at 85 a coupla years ago. At the last
      He used to wake up each morning disapointed that God hadn't take him in the night.
      Don't know your dads situation is?  For the familys sake I hope he gets better soon.

6. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

The moon was created much later than the earth.  In fact, it was once part of the earth!  The bible is myth!

1. profile image0

I thought the moon came from an impact with the forming earth that stripped away loads of the light materials and left loads of iron.  And this occurred as the earth was still forming ?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We do not know exactly how long the earth had existed before the impact which formed the moon.  The earth was already in orbit around the sun, otherwise the debris from the impact would have drifted away into space.

7. profile image48
    bobpartyposted 13 years ago

In the bible,book of Genesis,chapter1,verse 16,it says God made the moon(lesser light ) to rule the night.The first seven days of creation. There is so much prophecy that was told hundreds of years before the event happened. Example Micah,chapter 5, verse 2, tells how Jesus would be born in Bethlehem hundreds of years before he was born. No one,only God knows the future like this. This proves the bible is true.

1. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This silly statement makes no sense, but you will fit right in, because you already have the mindset to be a blind follower.

8. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

getitrite

That passage simply indicates the sun in our solar system had not yet been formed. It is really that easy. The elements came together first, the seeds of trees, plants sown before the sun was formed.

the point of the paragraphs is that everything was formed and put in motion before mankind was created, so he would be able to live in it, enjoy it and be ruler of it -this includes the land, the sea, the heavens, earth even the angels. Humans are made as a complete creation of all those things.

9. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

There are other instances in the bible the explain things long before, scientists figured it out. Like that the earth was round, not flat. And my favorite the Hydrolic cycle. I don't know the chapter and verse, I'll have to find it. But it basically states. That all the water of the earth runs into the sea yet the sea is not full, from where the water came, there it will return again. " The Hydrolic Cycle " which was not discovered by scientist until recent history, one or two hundred years ago.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)