speaking in tongues

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image52
    haj3396posted 13 years ago

Most People think that the unknown tongues is speaking in tongues. but this is so untrue, speaking in tongues is hear your tongues that is spoke by a person that can't speak you tongues.
    notice and understand what scripture states: Acts 2: 1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

The Holy Ghost gave them utterance, and they began to speak with other tongues and every man heard them speak in his own language. Now there was about 16 to 19 difference language and only 11 disciples and John 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seems like you answered your own OP:
      Each heard them speak in THEIR OWN LANGUAGE (tongue).

2. double_frick profile image60
    double_frickposted 13 years ago

i don't fully understand what you are saying...
    but i have thought on this recently...due to this article i stumbled upon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia
    THEN, i thought about my past growing up in a fundamentalist church.
    it was typical for people to speak in tongues at my church, considered a gift "everyone" was given when filled with the holy ghost.

i honestly believe that, because it is in the bible and others see this happening in their church that it is easy to let go, have a spiritual experience and have it manifest this way.

just as those who have spiritual experiences *always* have them with the religious figures they are accustomed to, even if they are not practicing any religion. we are all capable of letting go and having amazing things happen to our bodies (and through our bodies) as we let "the spirit" or various spirits or even personal energies flow through us.

sadly, i choose to believe that this is somewhat magical/mystical and letting go into a deep spiritual experience that i'm surprised is not viewed as witchcraft by every bough, branch and leaf of any christian church...

as a "magical" person myself (and having been intensely religious in the past) i can say from experience that speaking in tongues is very TYPICAL of magick  and whatnot and very (other than the act of speaking in tongues in church) demonic behavior, actually, as far as the church is concerned.

then again, so is their worship practices and their holidays.

LOL!

3. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Mental illness.

4. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Yep 61 Spam Posts and that is this OPs total contrbution here! roll

Well at least Dec 2012 is on its way smile

1. earnestshub profile image82
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't wait to do all the "I told you so's! "

1. profile image0
        Over The Hillposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Told you what ernest?

5. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

The same can be said when you get so mad that you go berserk and start screaming @#&oh*%my#@!kiss&!@!!

You can't understand it, but after you feel a sense of relief and peace! big_smile

6. getitrite profile image70
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

Speaking in tongues?!! Could it be...SATAN!

7. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Personally, I think speaking in tongues goes both ways -- speaking and hearing.  I say this out of experience:

More than once, I have been in a store and heard a group (2-6) of people who are obviously looking for something.  They are asking each other where would be good to look.  Meanwhile, clerks ignore them.  So, I have answered them myself. 

When I have answered them, I have noticed very strange looks from other shoppers, and thought they thought I was rude for butting into someone's conversation.  Later though, the people I spoke to have come back to me, obviously very happy and talking in a language I did not understand or speak.

When tired, I can read multiple languages that I have never studied without ever realizing it is not in English.  This leads me to think that language is not as big of a barrier as I have been taught it is.  I think it is something our conscious mind recognizes, while our subconscious understands much much more.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, but....your pretty unique you know.  smile

2. getitrite profile image70
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is there any way we can test this?

1. Ivorwen profile image65
        Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish.  wink

1. profile image52
          haj3396posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read the bible on the subject

1. Ivorwen profile image65
            Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure what you are getting at.

I have read the Bible, and the only thing I remember on testing it was that it be interpreted.  The fact that those I was speaking to understood me and that those around me who spoke English did not, would be proof. 

As far as duplicating it, I can not understand or speak in languages I do not know just because I decide/want to.

2. profile image52
        haj3396posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read the bible on the subject and tested it

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)