Man created god : Do you agree?..

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (176 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

do you agree that man created concept of god to get answers to his/her questions like what is purpose of life , what after death?..

read an interesting article on it...

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think man created a character out of God, which is totally off. God is an energy that is divided into all beings. It's THE FORCE from Star Wars. You get me??? smile

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

klarawieck wrote   God is an energy that is divided into all beings

It is true that the words that come out of our mouths do have either a creative or destructive force behind them.
           This is true only to a small extent but true never the less.

Imagine if all of mankind could come together with unity of mind;  just how strong that force might be?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What good would that do Jerami? You believe it is all prophesied to end in disaster and seeing as god sed it, you have given up. Not even sure why you bother to discuss anything - as you are gleefully awaiting the end days. So - ya no wot? Seeing as you are discussing it - I think you do not really believe it.

And lets be honest here - your religion is guaranteed to divide mankind, not unite it. See any history book. wink

No chess clubs this time please. lol

You don't seem to realize that you and I agree on many issues concerning "RELIGION"

Rev. 13 states that "RELIGION" will do exactly as you profess that it has done.  No arguement there.

If I tell you that "THEY" are going to tell lies about "ME"; and they do, and then because of those lies you insist that  "I" must not have existed.  Your logic would be misguided.

Religion was misrepresenting God  before while and after Jesus walked among them. 

So what is new?

While there are religionists like you around  of course religion is going to be dividing us.

What is new?

A deeper understanding of where these bronze age myths came from and what theiur purpose is.

Which means we now understand that there is not actually a god, the prophecies were written retrospectively to be self fulfilling and religion is in fact a political tool to persuade us to fight amongst ourselves while the Pharisees and money changers live in luxury.

But some of us prefer to hang on to the ridiculous out dated myths because they fear death so very, very much and often have been persuaded to accept a lot that is not enough to fulfill them.

That is what is new Jerami.

That isn't New.   The haves against the have not’s. Old story that has nothing to do with the subject of a higher power.

I believe in a higher plane of existence.
                   Have you ever seen a barrel of crawdads?
                  A constant upheaval, each individual trying to make it to the top. Never being allowed to stay there. That is what this plane of existence will always be.
                A barrel. 
                    You can choose to remain in the cocoon ?  I prefer to think that someday I will fly with the butterflies.

And if not ?  It will have been much better to have had hope.
                   Why do you want to take away everyones hope.

I know you do Jerami. If no religion caused any fights, arguments and divided us the way you do - I would not say a word. As I have said many times - all you christians behave christ-like - I ain't saying a word. But - you don't. wink

That is just the thing!  Religion seems to be just a belief system.  Not a way of life, just a belief system.

Any and ALL belief systems when a "group" of people become ivolved causes some kind of conflict.  Any idea can be seen as beneficial for some but detrimental for others.

If a faith in God never existed; there would still be just as much conflict in this world.  You got something and someone else will want it.  I play loud music ?  someone isn't going to like it.

That is just the way that we are.

2. wilmiers77 profile image61
                wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean we drop 10 thousand years of codified relationship between God and man which is road tested, and return to chaos?

Great! A localized, temporary, Johnny come lately, dependent on the environment, and needing air pion has to see God to believe. What in hell is next!?

What chaos is this? 10,000 years of fighting over who's god is the best god? And still doing so?

Sorry it bothers you that I understand where the concept of god originated, and - we do not need it any more. Time to stop being scared, and stop using god as an excuse. Grow up - be a man - and make your own morals that you can stick to. Drop this nonsense that you do not grasp.

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
                schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow, you're AGGRESSIVE!
                this is so stupid. I agree w/ the others-too much namecalling and stuff.

Hey Mark,
                have you ever thought of moving to a communist country so you don't see or hear about Christians?

I did not call any one names. Please do not lie about me.

Thank you.

Communist country? Why would I want to do that?  I would rather change my own.

Why are you so angry with me because I do not believe the nonsense you believe?

1. Cagsil profile image70
                    Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mark,

I'm not usually up at this time or at least not here. lol But, just wanted to say "Hi" and see how you are doing? smile

"Heaven is at hand..." Please get the word to Mark.

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do. What I believe in is goodness/life. I don't pretend to know its source, because that would make me a liar, but goodness and life are the two things that really impress me and seem worthy of being worshipped.

So it's a simple godless religion. I submit myself in wonder and awe to the forces of goodness and life. Everything else is just varying versions of bull doodoo.

3. sophie090 profile image58
        sophie090posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Deleted

That is spam - the only reason they commented is to leave that link. Which you have kindly copied and reproduced for them. big_smile

lol  well she said she believes in god and i didnt suspect her to be using the name of whom she believes for pasting link on forums lol

No! It's a documented fact that man appeared on the scene about 3.5 million years ago which is about 4.5 billion years after God created All. Nothing leads to nothing. Our Creator predetermined the universe, and then man.

3. Hokey profile image59
      Hokeyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe it was all political and a way to control others.

i second that hokey...

4. Cagsil profile image70

The individual created the concept of a god, due to pressure to understand their own existence, to give their life purpose and so as to not fear death, because they would not actually die in the essence, even when their body does die.

It was later turned into what is now known as religion. wink

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think Man created different symbols of God, which all cultures show from Ancient Egypt to the modern Maasai people. but i don't think Man invented the concept of God. I think Man responded on a spiritual level to unseen (but felt) spiritual forces and entities demonstrated by Nature and the cosmos.

i am not interested in debating this with anyone and will not; just answering the OP's question. thank you.

6. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes man created the concept of God, but that doesn't mean that god as an entirely different concept doesn't exist and is waiting to be discovered.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/ … nbach-text

I think like so many other things, man has got it wrong. I'm convinced something much bigger than man exists, perhaps beyond this universe. Will man exist long enough to discover it? Maybe not, certainly not in the lifetime of anyone in existence today.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a man yourself making that claim, you would need to admit to being wrong, especially when there is nothing to support being right about the existence of gods other than the belief you are right.

At the very least, with so many other things, there is support for those things being right and support for being wrong.

Big difference, wouldn't you say? smile

1. leeberttea profile image56

No but there is noting to prove god doesn't exist either. All I'm saying is there is much we don't know about a lot of things and we need to keep an open mind.

Odd people only say this about religion. LOL

Believing in the Invisible Super Daddy is being "open minded." lol lol

You funny.

2. Beelzedad profile image58

That isn't an argument that can be used to make your point as it is an argument that can be used for anything the imagination can conjure, like leprechauns, unicorns or fairies.

Again, can you not see the difference?  smile

No. You are missing the point. You are so focused on what you believe the definition of God is that you discount what is possible.

What I'm saying is god is not some man in the sky but rather something that is beyond our comprehension, something that we can't describe because we lack the necessary knowledge. If we were able to describe this we might not call it god but assign another word which hasn't yet been invented.

hmmm..

I don't recall every having provided a definition for a god nor do I discount what is possible.

I'm really not sure how to follow your logic here. How can you even come up with a concept of a god (entity, etc.) if it is something beyond your comprehension without any knowledge? Again, your argument is not valid as it can be used to justify the existence of unicorns or fairies.

Describe what? There isn't anything you've provided to describe other than what has been conjured from the imagination. How did you come up with this concept? From where does it originate? smile

Imagination is the start. All great ideas were once dreams, things that were thought impossible. Even Davinci thought it was possible to fly.

We know the universe exists, we know galaxies are flying apart, there's much we know, but there's even more we don't know. What's beyond this universe? Are there others? Are these other universes confined in a space? Where does matter come from? Why do objects have mass? Is it possible something or someone that exists in a form we have never experienced is some how the source of our experience?

If you want to believe no, that's fine, if I want to believe yes, that's fine too. Does it matter?

Sure, he saw birds flying, something that was real from which he based that idea.

All that you ask is not a problem. However, I really don't see how it has anything to do with the concept of gods or invisible entities, do you?

Not at all, as long as you can acknowledge the fact that it's little more than unfounded beliefs not supported by anything other than the imagination and is entirely irrelevant to us and our world. smile

7. britneydavidson profile image60
      britneydavidsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I do not agree. God is Light, Energy, Power, he is ocean of love, he is ocean of peace and we human being remebering him so that we can gain some virtues from him.

Hey Britney, "god" is a metaphor. lol

2. getitrite profile image72
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

E=MC2

Energy and light exists, and can be detected.
        If God were ENERGY or LIGHT, He would be detected.
        Why is it that your God is undetectable?

1. aguasilver profile image71
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You just have a difficulty seeing that He IS the energy and light, you have no receiver to detect that, just as 200 years ago nobody would have believed in television, although the wavebands and rays were there, they had no way of detecting them.

Relationship with God through Christ in the Holy Spirit gives a believer a way to receive what the blind cannot see or recognise.

Tell me where energy comes from, or how light is formed, and how they both came from darkness, and nothingness...and what started that process... as God said...

Job 38 (New International Version)

Job 38

The LORD Speaks

1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:
          2 "Who is this that darkens my counsel
                 with words without knowledge?

3 Brace yourself like a man;
                 I will question you,
                 and you shall answer me.

4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
                 Tell me, if you understand.

5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
                 Who stretched a measuring line across it?

6 On what were its footings set,
                 or who laid its cornerstone-

7 while the morning stars sang together
                 and all the angels [a] shouted for joy?

8 "Who shut up the sea behind doors
                 when it burst forth from the womb,

9 when I made the clouds its garment
                 and wrapped it in thick darkness,

10 when I fixed limits for it
                 and set its doors and bars in place,

11 when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther;
                 here is where your proud waves halt'?

12 "Have you ever given orders to the morning,
                 or shown the dawn its place,

13 that it might take the earth by the edges
                 and shake the wicked out of it?

14 The earth takes shape like clay under a seal;
                 its features stand out like those of a garment.

15 The wicked are denied their light,
                 and their upraised arm is broken.

16 "Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea
                 or walked in the recesses of the deep?

17 Have the gates of death been shown to you?
                 Have you seen the gates of the shadow of death [b] ?

18 Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?
                 Tell me, if you know all this.

19 "What is the way to the abode of light?
                 And where does darkness reside?

20 Can you take them to their places?
                 Do you know the paths to their dwellings?

21 Surely you know, for you were already born!
                 You have lived so many years!

22 "Have you entered the storehouses of the snow
                 or seen the storehouses of the hail,

23 which I reserve for times of trouble,
                 for days of war and battle?

24 What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed,
                 or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?

25 Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain,
                 and a path for the thunderstorm,

26 to water a land where no man lives,
                 a desert with no one in it,

27 to satisfy a desolate wasteland
                 and make it sprout with grass?

28 Does the rain have a father?
                 Who fathers the drops of dew?

29 From whose womb comes the ice?
                 Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens

30 when the waters become hard as stone,
                 when the surface of the deep is frozen?

31 "Can you bind the beautiful [c] Pleiades?
                 Can you loose the cords of Orion?

32 Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons [d]
                 or lead out the Bear [e] with its cubs?

33 Do you know the laws of the heavens?
                 Can you set up God's [f] dominion over the earth?

34 "Can you raise your voice to the clouds
                 and cover yourself with a flood of water?

35 Do you send the lightning bolts on their way?
                 Do they report to you, 'Here we are'?

36 Who endowed the heart [g] with wisdom
                 or gave understanding to the mind [h] ?

37 Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?
                 Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens

38 when the dust becomes hard
                 and the clods of earth stick together?

39 "Do you hunt the prey for the lioness
                 and satisfy the hunger of the lions

40 when they crouch in their dens
                 or lie in wait in a thicket?

41 Who provides food for the raven
                 when its young cry out to God
                 and wander about for lack of food?

Answer these questions and maybe we have a discussion worth holding.

John

1. getitrite profile image72

Your God thinks the earth was created before the sun.  So he would be unqualified to do any of that.

Playground bickering "My dads bigger than yours" type of replies really do not do it, but I understand you not wishing to answer what would be a difficult set of questions.

1. getitrite profile image72

Playground bickering? Just because my answer is honest, you think you can relegate it to playground bickering. 

My answer stands as a true critique of your lame God.
                Your God is so foolish He is deluded enough to think He created the earth before the sun.  Have you even read Genesis?

No the problem is not me, sir.  The problem is your lack of integrity, and your fear of reality. 

Your delusion is indefensible, but you are fearful and angry enough to stoop to any level of nonsense to support it.

You have created a strawman fallacy, that is, in no way, a logical response to my post.

getitrite wrote    He is deluded enough to think He created the earth before the sun.  Have you even read Genesis?

==== 
                  Where do you get the idea that the bible says that he created the earth first. 
                     Have you even read Genesis?

The first ten words ...  In the beginning he created the heaven  and the earth. 

The heavens "and" all kinds of other stuff including the earth.

It doesn't say the earth first!

Where it sez wot god did "all kinds of other stuff"? Innit? Sez it there - heaven. Heaven is the invisible place wot the good ded peeps go to innit? - but only wot sez god dunnit - gud kristian peeps.

I have read genesis.  Either you are in denial, or you have a bizarre interpretation of reality.

Let me explain in clear basic communication:

Genesis 1-1 states~~In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth.

Genesis 1-5 states~~And God called the light Day, and the darkness, He called Night.  And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Now lets jump to verse thirteen:
                                   GENESIS 1-13  AND THE EVENING AND THE
                                               MORNING WERE THE THIRD DAY!

Genesis 1-16 states~~And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night:  He made the stars also.

Genesis 1-17 states~~And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the Earth.

So as you can see, by simply reading God's own words, that He stated that He created the Heavens and Earth on the first day.

...but he waits until after the third day to create the sun and moon, THEN...He SET them(along with these "insignificant" stars)lol in the Heaven that he had created earlier--you know--on the first day.

Does this make sense, or do you need a clearer explanation?

3. Beelzedad profile image58

Really? And here all along I thought light was light, energy was energy and power was power.

I'll send a quick memo to Websters and have them change their definitions immediately. wink

8. VOICE CIW profile image68
      VOICE CIWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I do not believe that man created God. Some of you people need to stop reading these fables that you call books, These books are nothing but man's ideas and opinions. You need to read and study the only source for answers for our life and Who God is, and what His desire is for us, which is the Holy Bible!

9. wifelv profile image61
      wifelvposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I may regret answering this...No I don't believe in that, because i was not looking for God and he found me.  When I was in a death situation he came to me and showed me that I was going to be Ok and that I had  a purpose. In addition to that I was consumed with a love that is nothing like anything on earth and indescribable.  If we knew this love we all would act differently. I don't have a religion now, I have a relationship with pure LOVE!  I do believe that there are people who create a religion to justify themselves.  You know it is God when the person is not drawing attention to themselves but you feel a love around them that you can not explain and you want more of what they have.

But, you just did try to explain. You said:

"You know it is God "

Are you saying that absolutely and positively there are no other explanations or alternatives? smile

2. stilljustwonderin profile image59
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe you.  I have felt it.  It is the most powerful, amazing love.  So intense.
        A person has to experience it to understand because it is so much greater than any  love that humans have for another.  I heard an x-drug user describe it as the best high he has ever had., nothing compares.

10. susantoandre26 profile image57
      susantoandre26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

GOD CREATE MAN, I AGREE WITH THIS

Did you or Did you NOT read the OP?

You said god created man, but agreed with the OP that man created god.

Make up your mind. lol

11. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend  pisean282311

I don't agree with this concept; as it is only based on conjecture not on any fact.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

you have every right to disagree...that is for what this discussion thread is for..expressing one's views...

also what is fact as per your definition..dont quote from some thousands of year ago written book...talk about what you and me can see...

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm still amused that the word god is dog backwards. Man's ever faithful companion...

1. Wayne Tully profile image65
      Wayne Tullyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha, you too!!! anagrams are such fun!!

2. ReuVera profile image82
      ReuVeraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is only in English..... In other languages (at least those that I know) it is not so.

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I think that Mankind has created its own concept of God.
       He/She/IT is a concept.
       I have a concept of what a tree is.
       A bird has another. while the tree remains what it is.

Our concept of God may have little to do with who/what
    he/it is.

1. wilmiers77 profile image61

God is a Spirit. Our minds in the natural is designed to seek God. Man is coming up to speed since things began about 4..5 billion years prior to his debut.

We all create our own understanding of God (Concept)

but he is who he is regardless of our concept of him.
          So I guess you can say we created a concept. 
        But the Fact remains; with or without our concept of it.

4. SilentReed profile image82
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

God is real. It is man who in his vanity lives in a world of illusions.

5. Richard Craig profile image60
    Richard Craigposted 13 years ago

Just want to say, I'm an atheist and I think it started off as a story.  Over time the story spread and was interpreted into different versions so that's why there are so many religions with similar philosophies.

1. wilmiers77 profile image61

There are confirmations of the truth of God. Firstly, look at youself, than begin to observe the universe. Who done it? Do you make sense, and possess pre-ordering in the womb? On the cosmic scale of time, we are about 3 seconds old.

No one. Just like the billions of processes that happen every day in the universe, they occur all on their own and follow nothing more than the laws of physics. Pretending a hand is guiding these processes adds irrational and illogical complexity to their outcomes and does nothing but serve to open up contradiction. smile

1. profile image0
          Bubbooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where did these Laws of Phisics come from? Who put these Laws in place?  I have heard that believers in Jesus Christ have given up all rational thinking.

The Big Bang Theory...........
          Let me get this strait.       Nothing went  "BANG"  and created something.
          Where is the rational thinking in that?

1. earnestshub profile image81
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who made god again? smile

1. profile image0
              Bubbooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No one.  He has always existed.  I will not pretend that my mind can understand this concept.  That's why it is called Faith.
              Hebrews 11:1 NIV
              Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Only the ignorant are certain of that which they cannot see. lol

2. earnestshub profile image81
                earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God always existed did he? How did existence come about. Did god make it too?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
                  paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good statement. Am I your God or not?

2. pisean282311 profile image62

u have point earnest...

They came about shortly after the Inflation period when the temperature (black body) of the early universe began to cool.

No "one".

Where did you hear that?

It's not only rational, it is experimentally verified, mountains of evidence have been accumulated over the years in Quantum field theory with the experiments scientists conduct. smile

It is absurd to conclude that looking at one's self and observing the universe is a confirmation of the truth of God.

And I bet you are referring to the Christian God, as well.

What you just described is blatant wishful thinking, because there is no evidence to support your claim.

6. Rishy Rich profile image73
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

Of course! Its always been MAN telling the story of GOD. Have we ever seen a GOD, in the form of GOD, coming to us & saying 'I AM GOD, SO WORSHIP ME'??

Yep, every believer in Christ has had that experience, you should try it some time.

Christ never had to ask folk to worship Him, it just comes naturally when you know Him.

1. Rishy Rich profile image73
        Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Im aware of that. A bunch of lower class uneducated loosers followed another psycho weirdo looser with dirty beard & mustache who eventually got nailed to death - is your GOD. Yeah he might have created u but not me!

& btw, I said WE HAVE NEVER MET A GOD, IN THE FORM OF GOD...

Your so-called God was in a Human form...& dats not impressive.

But we believers still meet with Him daily, and that IS impressive!

"Hilarious" would be more apt. wink

2. wifelv profile image61
            wifelvposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoa!  Not all believers meet with him daily...lets be honest Aguasilver. Many people who believe struggle with knowing and talking to God.  Much like we struggle in our own relationships.  I just want others who do not know the Lord to understand that a relationship with God is like a marriage. Except your spouse can not save you, inspire you, set you free etc like God can.  You have to learn to know him and it takes commitment and time spent with him over the years.  As you trust and learn more about him you become better at talking with him daily.  That takes time and honesty, transparency and desire.  So many Christians are lazy or unwilling to yield their life to the Lord.  They say the words and go to church and act religious but do not have a relationship with God. Much like married people who get married but neglect there spouse.  They are married but do not engage in the relationship. Eventually they get divorced and the marriage dies if it is not cultivated.

Hear where you are coming from, and agree, it's a marriage (literally) and it needs work, but we do speak with Him daily, for He hears every word that comes from our mouths and every thought we make.... now I agree many Christians do not LISTEN to Him daily, but that's another matter!

Pre-ordering at creation did it all. There is nothing new in the world. It was all done at Creation time.

Great! A localized, temporary, dependent on the environment pion has to see God to believe. What's next?

7. SilentReed profile image82

Why so much hate in a "God" that does not exist ?

It is the fan club I have an issue with. wink You know - the guys who flew planes into the WTC? wink

8. SilentReed profile image82

So it has nothing to do with  "God" ?

9. bsscorpio8 profile image59
    bsscorpio8posted 13 years ago

What happened when your mother told you about Santa Claus, or the tooth fairy and you found out the contrary later in life, assuming you did find out the contrary later in life?

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59

I would much prefer to go thru life believing in God, then at the end of my life find out I was wrong, than to go thru life not believing in God, and find out I was wrong.

There is a God  No doubt.   It is the definition that people keep fighting over.  And there is no reason to.

Garbage. There is no god. No question.

You are entitled to your opinion.
                And if you say that YOU can't predict the weather that might be true.

Yes there is.  There is no doubt in my mind either.  I wouldn't give up what I know for any one.   Not knowing him is their loss.  Nothing we can do about that.  Just cherish what we know and don't argue with them about it.  Some people are just on here to get under your skin.  Ignore them.

Interesting that people who disagree are doing it to get under your skin.

Their loss?
            Ignore them?

Sorry you have so little respect for others who do not believe as you do.

Odd that this is the opposite of what you claim.

Genuine Christian then. wink

No god. It is in your head only. Sorry. You are obviously very angry now. I don't blame you.

big_smile

2. Jerami profile image59

I find it amusing when I make a simple statement like ...
            2 + 3 = 5  and I get an answer like   No it doesn't it is green.

Lol  Or we get a reply  "Garbage".
              Are we suppose to take that seriously?  I have decided to just ignore the rubbish.  No need to get pulled into that.  We certainly aren't changing our beliefs because some one else doesn't like it.

I find it amusing that you think you make logical statements as 2+3=5.

You actually make statements more like...2+3=156,000

No one has responded with anything as absurd as "Green"

But keep up the pretense of being wise.  Your thinking is inside the box.

That really makes no sense. Why waste an entire lifetime with beliefs that may very well turn out to be false when you could instead take that time and use it to better means? If you are wrong and you wind up standing before a god, whether he is the Christian god or the Islamic god, you can easily explain you spent your life doing worthwhile things. smile

A god of any religion would already know and there would be nothing to explain. lol

Exactly. Good point. smile

I'm happy with my life, but thank you for careing.

By making that comment now, you dissolve your previous statement about being right or wrong. If you're happy in the knowledge that your beliefs may very well be false and you'll continue to go on believing despite that fact, then it really doesn't make any difference whether you are right or wrong, you're going to believe regardless. smile

I am very happy with my faith.
              I believe I am right, just like you believe you are right.
              That's our right.  Right?  big_smile

No, I don't "believe"  I am right. That's one of the main differences.

Everyone is free to live a life of false beliefs, yes. Why they want to do such a thing is beyond me. smile

1. profile image0

Too busy arguing to say hello?! I see! tongue

Yes, in your mind, your right.  In my mind and heart, I am right.
                  big_smile

But, I never said I was right, you did. smile

3. Jerami profile image59

Beelzedad  wrote ...
          Why waste an entire lifetime with beliefs that may very well turn out to be false when you could instead take that time and use it to better means?
          -----------------
             Jeraim ...   I don't think that it takes any more time out of my life to believe than it does for you to not believe.?

???????????

You would have to by definition, Jerami. If not, then there is no difference between doing something and not doing something. smile

How long does it take out of your life to feel content vs how long does it take out of your life to feel mal content.

Again, I see no equating in your example. Content? Malcontent? What do these have to do with anything?  smile

How much time is wasted when we have a feeling or belief.

Does anyone know what the speed of thought is?

How much time is spent having a thought or belief or disbelief?

It would make sense that there is whole lot more time spent on beliefs than not spent on beliefs, by definition. smile

4. aguasilver profile image71

Hope God considers what you do to be worthwhile then... but what if He does not?

He did give us the words:

Isaiah 64:6 (New International Version)

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

Personally I would not like to stand on my good deeds as an kind of security that God will 'understand' why I rejected Him and denigrated his Holy Name, but each to their own!

I have absolutely no problem at all standing up to your god or any other god to make a case for my life and everything I've accomplished.

Sorry, but those are the words of men, not gods.

You also have the opportunity to stand before the Islamic god, or any one of the many gods who are supposed to exist and make your case as to why you rejected them, too.  Good luck with that. smile

10. SilentReed profile image82

What was the reason for your mother telling you those fairy tales? When you found out where you angry with your mother?Did it change your belief in the "sky fairy"? Is this disbelief in "God" a freudian conflict?

1. Lymond profile image86
      Lymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually I was really pissed! All that time waiting up with a string lasso and never catching anything. Not even a hint that I was wasting my time. Disappointing parenting there!!

11. profile image0
    Surabhi Kauraposted 13 years ago

It is pivotal to say that, "Man has created God." It is our belief, our thinking that God created us. No, nobody has ever seen God. The word "GOD", the written scriptures, the holy books, the spiritual places, it is all created by humans. When a person takes birth on earth, he/she comes without  any name, without any religion, the parents put label of religion. Here, we forget that we are human beings first then religious followers. I am not saying don't believe in God or there is no God. There is God, do believe in God and he exists in us, but we forget to recognize him. If we all will be generous, forbearing, and good to each other, we would definitely find the presence of God.

When it comes to finding God ...  All that is necessary is to be willing to see. 

A husband or wife may love you and be most faithful ..
      but if you are unwilling to see it ?? 
        It won't be true in your mind, though it is still just as true in theirs.

Jerami, I think it was mentioned many times before that when talking about gods, one can't compare them to people or things that do in fact exist, like husbands and wives. smile

I think that I was equating the similarity of emotions and understandings.

That was my point as well, there is no equating in your example. smile

1. profile image0

Ooo-la-laaa... it's Beelzedad! wink Howdy partner!

Howdy pardener! Birdy num-nums? smile

I get your drift.  Love of a spouse.  Ok, love is an emotion.  Ya can't see emotion.  We see the effects that the emotion has.  So, if we don't really notice the effect that the emotion of love has on the other person, then we don't know this person loves us.
        Is that what ya mean?

Imagine if your spouse turned round one day and said "from now on, no demonstrations of love, no I love you, sorry Jim, you're just going to have to take it on faith" actually, thats probably a little too close to actual marriage but you get what I'm on about?

I think so.  Your talking about not seeing the effects of love.  Right?  Just taking that love on faith?  If that is what your saying then I do understand where you are coming from. 
            Now, the spouse that does see the effects, and feels the love.  Can you see how the spouse can have faith that the love is there?   
            I have been on my knees praying and it felt like some one stood over me and just poured a bucket full of love over me.  Such intense, beautiful love like I have never felt.  I can't deny that.  I wanted to tell strangers I loved them!
            I can understand how people can "not" believe.  But I have had experiences that has confirmed my faith.

can u elaborate on ur experiences?

I explained one in a hub.  God is spiritual.  We can't see him with our eyes no more than we can see the emotion of love.  We only see the effects, and feel it.

I was talking about the complete absence of all signs of love from your spouse. They never actually talked to you, never take a walk in the park with you, give you a massage, said I love you, bring you chocolate, even giving you a smile. In fact imagine if they weren't even there in person, that they were on the far side of the world. You couldn't really claim to have that persons love truly. I might as well claim that I have Jessica Alba's undying adoration if that was the case and nobody could say otherwise (apart from her). I could make all the claims people who believe in god claim, such as 'feeling' gods love etc. but if I persisted with such claims, especially in public I'd be at best treated as obsessive, at worst lone gunman material!

What I understand you're trying to get at is if your spouse wasn't there but say, influenced people around you to make your life better or happier, manipulated events and the like.

Again, if you make similar sounding claims in the opposite direction, that the CIA is out to get you, they're influencing people and events around you. Then you get 'help' for delusions of persecution.

"kill one man and take his house and they brand you a thief and a murderer, kill a million men and take their land and they make you a king"

Well, yes, God does work thru people.
                    Once, right after we ate, I washed a cast iron skillet and put it on the stove with heat under it to cure it.  We went and got in our car and took off down the road.  We didn't get far when the car suddenly quit running.  My husband couldn't find anything wrong, but couldn't get the car to start.  A neighbor came by and the boys and I got a ride back home.  As soon as I got home,, the neighbor left back out, he wasn't on his way home.  I walked into a house full of smoke.  That black cast iron skillet was red.  I had left the fire on under it.  As soon as I walked thru the door, my husband drove into the drive way.  As soon as the boys and I left for home, the car started.
                    But there is also the spiritual side of our faith.  Being filled with the most intense love that there is no word in our language to describe how wonderful it is.  A feeling that suddenly comes upon us while we are in prayer.
                    I can understand others not believing, but I can't deny my faith.

3. getitrite profile image72

I'm willing to see God, but still I don't, and can't see Him/Her.

What you really mean is that one has to suspend reason, and allow the imagination to take over.

Right?

12. Stimp profile image59
    Stimpposted 13 years ago

GOD IS A PIECE OF SHT....SEE MY FORUM ON HOW OUR FAMILY HAS SUFFERED.

i read that..i can understand and m sorry to hear that..

13. BMG profile image57
    BMGposted 13 years ago

definitely disagree with that statement.........

14. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Who or what made this invisible sky fairy? smile Did he make himself? I know he is supposed to have killed himself, but what made him/her/it? smile

15. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

I know, I know, everyone's tired of lolcats, but. . .

http://hubpages.com/u/3596113_f260.jpg

. . . I'm just sayin'

1. profile image0

Hahahaha... I absolutely love this one! How cute is that!

16. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

I don't know, you can't see a black hole and yet you believe it's there. You can't feel gravity but you know that's what holds you down. You look up at the stars and you imagine hot objects out in space, but that light is billions of years old and that object may not even be there. You can't see the higgs boson particle but scientists believe they are there and you believe them. How is any of that different?

Yes I will admit the existence of God is supported only by a belief, and evidence to support that belief can only be seen by those willing to see it.

Whether or not you believe in God or whether or not there actually is a God, you simply can not claim that he is "entirely irrelevant to us and our world". More than half the world easily more than 4 billion people would disagree with you. That's pretty relevant.

Black holes are based on General Relativity, not beliefs.

So, you don't actually feel anything between the surface of your feet and the surface of the earth? Are you floating?

That is the result of the speed of light and how long it takes to get here from those distance galaxies.

Again, particle physics are not based on beliefs, they are based on observations. Whether the Higgs boson is found or not, there is a carrier particle that will eventually be found which will help complete the Standard Model.

Again, how does this relate to imaginary gods and entities?

Willing to see it? Everyone is willing, but the will itself does not bring gods into existence.

That would be the argument ad populum fallacy.

However, while I agree that people hold those beliefs, well over half the world does not share your personal beliefs in the concept of a god you hold. And again, no gods have ever been seen by anyone, so you can't claim that your god has the influence, it is the people who hold the beliefs who have the influence, and nothing more. smile

Beelzedad, I believe in you :-)

2. pisean282311 profile image62

u r right...

17. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Everyone on earth believes that they have/had a biological father.

Some people do not know who that is/was

And some people..  eventhough they know who it is ...  Don't know him cause they never talked with him..

And some people know all that there is to know about him though they have never had a chance to see or talk to him.

So I guess free will is alive.

18. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

stop it

Stop what? roll

19. paradigmsearch profile image60

Oh, well. Like I tried.

20. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Tried what? roll

21. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Not being obtuse but I really don't follow what you are trying to say... stop the topic?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not being theoretical, but I think I am your God. Serious.

22. paradigmsearch profile image60

Please reply.

23. paradigmsearch profile image60

"Man created god : Do you agree?.."

Yes.

Sorry, wrong forum.

24. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic … faith.html

Maybe there is something to it if all these guys believed.

That site has incorrect information or they are lying. smile

25. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I agree that man created God and I would say that the purpose was to control other people and it has worked very well indeed!

quiet right...

26. DC Brownlow profile image58
    DC Brownlowposted 13 years ago

Not a good concept, sorry

what is not a good concept?...man created god is not a good concept or religion is not a good concept?...what did you mean?

27. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

As "god" is a human concept created in the human mind how could it be other than man's creation?
    Oh that's right! The fairies did it!

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)