Lets just be happy believing what we believe

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. vicki simms profile image67
    vicki simmsposted 13 years ago

There are people who believe in god, allah, different religions or none at all so why not let people believe what they want to without attacking everyones individual choices and opinions.

If I say that I like to eat a particular food or watch a certain film, people are not that quick to shoot you down for that, whats the difference? there is no difference, its my opinion and it my choice so lets all be respectful of everyones choices... smile

1. Claire Evans profile image62
      Claire Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If someone feels their religious views are being threatened, they will lash out.  It means they aren't sure of their own beliefs.   There is a difference between disagreeing in a debate and just plainly trying to ridicule someone's belief.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellent post! I do agree!

3. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you; everyone should be respected whatever the religion or denomination; Atheists included.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Except atheists. wink

That is the trouble with your religion - you go around attacking other people for not believing the nonsense you believe - and then lie about respecting them. No wonder your religion causes so many wars and killings. sad

Ah - I see you edited your statement to include atheists.Odd that you continue to attack them on another thread.

1. profile image0
          just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree with you. The poor atheists mind their own business and never attack anyone else. Why in the world do people leave religious forums in search of an atheist opinion? Let them talk atheism amongst themselves in peace. That's what I think, anyway.

2. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

But you need to be saved vicki - eternal salvation!!! tongue

1. vicki simms profile image67
      vicki simmsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hahaha i'm sure i'm going to get shot down by someone for putting this big_smile

3. libby101a profile image59
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I agree completely! I am Christian, but I've always felt everyone has the right to believe however they want! It's called choice! I believe what I want and others have their own beliefs...it is a choice!

If everyone respected this philosophy we'd have fewer arguments and troubles! However, people seem to try their best to debunk other's beliefs to make their own look more believable...which is doesn't! Debunking another religion of belief does nothing to justify your own!

1. profile image51
      ddlg1958posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more. I'm a Christian, but I know that is the only path for my salvation. I couldn't possibly begin to know what is right for anyone else.

1. simeonvisser profile image68
        simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How so? Does Christianity not preach that everyone's path for salvation is the same?

1. profile image51
          ddlg1958posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but judgement is left to God. I know Christ is my only hope for salvation. But, I can't speak for anyone else. I think, and it is just what I think, anyone who yearns for their Creator will be given the chance to be with Him on the afterlife.

4. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Lets just be happy believing what we believe

yet open to  accept truth where-ever it comes from

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And, deny logic and reason in favor of those beliefs. smile

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain Dorothy.

5. slock62 profile image60
    slock62posted 13 years ago

People will go on believing what they believe, whether others believe as they do or not. Some will defend their beliefs to the death. Many wars over religion have proven this to be true.
    To debate ones beliefs with another is futile and one runs the chance of having their own beliefs tested.Before entering into a religious debate one must be sure of their commitment to their beliefs.
    The issue here is not who is right and who is wrong. Is what we choose to believe simply a set of dogma that we listen to week after week and then regurgitate to anyone who is willing to listen? Does what we believe truly move us closer to our creator?
    One must question what it is that they are committed to. Does our belief bring us closer to an awareness of our oneness? If you do not see your brother/sister as a perfect child of God you are on the wrong wavelength.
    When we use religion as a means of creating a hierarchy or as a means of creating a separation between ourselves and others, we just don't get it.

6. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I think Jesus said to have faith as little child will get us there.

It is when we get too phylisophicl that the arguements begin.

If Mark would finish his train of thought, that theism and atheism are phylosophys, and differences in phylosophys causes wars I could agree with him.

7. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

Because some people believe that truth is more important than a personal belief, specially when such includes that whoever doesn't share their opinion is immoral, a sinner, or worst: should be put to death.

Another problem with the new feel-good, 'let's all get alone' point of view coming from a christian (and this happens with lots of my friends) is that while I find perfectly fine that you respect other people's beliefs, why should you? If you happen to have a friend you love but is not religious, according to your belief, that person, that loved one will spend an eternity suffering horrible punishments. Why would anyone who really believes the religion they follow, accept that and be fine with it?

Then the matter of believing just some parts of for example the bible and ignoring those which don't fit your and society's current stand of what's acceptable and what isn't comes into play.

So why that fakeness?

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point actually.

Just an opinion ..  but I think that most believers do believe in GOD  yet must have some doubts in religious doctrine.

There are just so many to choose from. 
      How can we be absolutely sure that we have chosen the right doctrine?
         Religious Doctrines cause a Da--ed if we do and Da--ed if we don't situation.

If I feel that it is wrong to do something but do it anyway, this causes inner conflict. "SIN"   This I have to live with.

But it is not right for me to attempt to place my sin upon another.

Here is the difference. (I think)
         Do I believe that your sin is an abomination unto the Lord, or is it an abomination to me.

If it is an abomination to me, I need to do something (??)
      to prevent an inner conflict within myself. And to prevent your sin rom getting on Me.

If it is an abomination unto the Lord I have to leave it up to him to deal with.  In this the case, If I am honest with you concerning my feelings, We can still be friends if you can get over my beliefs.

Not exactly but something like that anyway.

1. spookyfox profile image60
        spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not denying they believe in god, but why that dishonesty in saying "I'm a christian" when you know inside you that some of its rules are completely unfair to your point of view as a member of society, and can't force to believe in it? Why can't they just believe in god without the moral/ethical influence, which isn't even there in the first place, but they pretend they are because they're supposed to? Isn't it just to feel part of a group?

8. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

"... why that dishonesty in saying "I'm a christian" when you know inside you that some of its rules are completely unfair to your point of view ..."

- = - = -

Do I have to agree with all of the unpopular foreign policies in order to call myself a patriotic American?

That isn't a great answer but off the top of my head; that is the best that comes to mind.
    ===============================================

Why can't they just believe in god without the moral/ethical influence, which isn't even there in the first place, but they pretend they are because they're supposed to? Isn't it just to feel part of a group?

= = = = =

I think that all of us are reaching for something that is missing in our lives.
    Maybe ...  when we feel this void, we attempt to see some kind of void in others, thus in our own mind we elevate ourselves up to that position that they envision themselves to be in.

Maybe not.   Everyone has some kind of psychological quirk which may appear similar to that which you described.

9. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

...and not unhappy with what others believe!

10. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

"Do I have to agree with all of the unpopular foreign policies in order to call myself a patriotic American?"

No, but you see? that's the problem. Those policies are not meant to be absolute, timeless, "THE Truth"; while religion, is. And while you do need to obbey some rules to remain an american, and you can even disagree with them, openly, without it being a contradiction or a hipocrisy, if you do the same with religion, you're being dishonest with yourself and to your (supposed) god.

Unless, as I said before, that you separate the concept of god with the concept of behaviour towards others in society.

"I think that all of us are reaching for something that is missing in our lives."

I think that's correct, and most of us, religious or not, share that. I try to fill that void with music, books, philosophy, movies, tv shows, humor, playing, learning, interacting with people, and to some degree, what people think of me; but I won't claim that those are the absolute truths in everyone's life.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes  and  NO  (My opinion) 

This is the difference between faith in a religion (denomintion) and faith in God.

But in reality there are no easy answers why "other"
      people are the way they are.

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Like I said before and I'll say it again- any belief in a god is selfish on part of the believer. Plain and simple. If it needs to be explained to anyone, then it's obvious that anyone not understanding the statement doesn't understand their own life. hmm

12. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Cancel my subscription to the resurrection...
    Cause if we gonna resurrect together, we're gonna kill each other and resurrect over again.
    Nightmare.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)