Obama to deliver major speech on personal faith

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (58 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image64
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

President Barack Obama plans to give an unusually personal speech about his religious faith on Thursday at a high-profile prayer breakfast in Washington, a White House official said Wednesday.

“He’ll give a window on the way he approaches prayer, his study of Scripture and some other spiritual disciplines that affect his daily life,” said the official.

“I don’t think he’s given a window into how his faith sustains him as president,” said the official, who would not speak for attribution. “That will be a new thing.”

Obama’s speech, which will be delivered at the National Prayer Breakfast, comes on the heels of public opinion surveys that show only a minority of Americans know that Obama is a Christian and that a growing number believe he’s a Muslim. - cnn

1. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That speech was 100% BS.  I don't think Obama is a Muslim or Christian.  He appears to be a very intelligent skeptic, like Thomas Jefferson.

But religion is a powerful tool to use against an already delusional society.

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition [Christianity] one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies"   
         ~Thomas Jefferson

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about the intelligent part! smile

He is his own religion.  He thinks he is god and knows what's best for the rest of us.

1. donotfear profile image84
          donotfearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/fordonotfear/obama0002.jpg

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Frankly, the fact that the President is being pressured to defend his faith is silly.  Last time I checked, he was elected to lead our government, not to be our spiritual guide.  Whether he is a Christian or a Muslim should be irrelevant, unless of course he is an extremist in either camp.  Contrary to popular belief, the United States is not a Christian nation, if in fact such a thing even exists in today's world.  It is a democratic republic which has laws that are supposed to keep a definite separation between Church (any Church) and State.  I am a Christian, and I am not an Obama supporter.  But it's his politics I disagree with, not his spiritual position.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe I said thank you.  So, thank you!  Seems I occasionally forget my manners.  ACK!

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
        dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

about the seperation of church and state: some historical facts for you

"Separation of church and state" is a common metaphor that is well recognized. Equally well recognized is the metaphorical meaning of the church staying out of the state's business and the state staying out of the church's business. Because of the very common usage of the "separation of church and state phrase," most people incorrectly think the phrase is in the constitution. The phrase "wall of separation between the church and the state" was originally coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to the Danbury Baptists on January 1, 1802. His purpose in this letter was to assuage the fears of the Danbury, Connecticut Baptists, and so he told them that this wall had been erected to protect them. The metaphor was used exclusively to keep the state out of the church's business, not to keep the church out of the state's business.

I agree they must be seperated and kept so, but in the US we cloud it all up, and very quickly to.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course - it never occurred to them this would be a two way street. Blocked in both directions.

Jefferson was a genius. big_smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
            dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark, your point is well taken here.

In that Time, I am positive they saw nothing but thier way, and no open street. It was revolution and support of it, all for God almighty above King!

Fortunitly so far it has worked, but it is not self sustaining, just like religion is not, it does not satisfy the human soul. and now...

flaws and more cracks in the old knowledge keep appearing.

The more i study it, it seems to flow like the Old testimate, a psychotic mess of human sociology. A wounder we have survived it this long.

3. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your above contention.

Did Obama made any such expression about his religious faith ?

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

We're moving in on elections. He's a politician. Of course he'll appeal to the religious right.

1. pisean282311 profile image64
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol but isn't it sad that he has to keep announcing that he is christian...i mean what has his faith to do with administration...aren't both different?

1. profile image0

Completely different. Politics is politics though. He's pandering. Nothing more.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heh!  He can appeal all he wants to, but unless he's had a major change of heart lately, the religious right (any common-sense Christian) knows he's far from being a Christian.

1. profile image0

Many of us are. But it isn't his religion (I assume he is christian, that's the church he attended in chicago) I find worrisome, it's his politics. Cut wasteful government spending and their intrusion in our lives. If you do that, as far as I'm concerned you can worship a statue of Elvis; as long as you give me the freedom to worship in my own way,  I'll vote you back in.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand what you mean.
          But the two things do intertwine and have a huge bearing on each other.  For instance, would you REALLY be able to trust someone who worshipped a statue of Elvis to lead your Nation?  See what I mean?

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"would you REALLY be able to trust someone who worshipped a statue of Elvis to lead your Nation?"

Of course not.

Everyone knows Jim Morrison is God...Jeez wink

2. profile image0

Honestly? If he had led with an even hand, not infringed on my rights, brought the troops home, cut out wasteful spending without hurting programs for the poor in the process and then shared his bizarre beliefs; I might. But we both realize that's a ridiculous scenario. my point was, what a person does for the country as a whole is much more important than the way they worship to me. I probably won't vote for him in the next election, but it has nothing to do with religion.

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's easy for all humans to make that claim about each other.
        There are lots of claims that so called Christians aren't Christians at all in these forums, because of the antics, attacks and so forth. So if Obama claims that he is religious, who has the right to question that?

Me.

1. Daniel Carter profile image61

Smarty pants.
            wink

3. William R. Wilson profile image60
        William R. Wilsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just as the religious left knows that you and your ilk are far from being a Christian, Brenda.  smile

Logical fallacies can cut both ways, watch out.

The religious left?

Oh, you mean the ones who worship Obama.

But they're not smart.

So who cares what they think?

1. profile image0

I love the way you post. You're a funny guy.

4. pisean282311 profile image64
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@brenda being christian is not required qualification for being president...isn't it?...so why so much concern about his faith?...yes if he doesnot deliver on governance , show him the door but faith is last thing which he must clarify for...

3. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Yep...........I'm sure it'll be a very generic speech with words carefully chosen so as not to "offend" anyone.

Generic.

I think that's right, and for the record, I agree that he's pandering. It's a vote-getting strategy. That's all. But I think belief and faith is something that we have to be careful about when we claim another has no belief or faith. It's not our business to make that call.

People think I'm an atheist. I'm not. I just don't see things the way so many others do.

1. starme77 profile image79
        starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Daniel - Nice to see ya again smile Hope things are going well for ya smile and I like yer post smile

4. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Oh Lord. It's not enough to attend a Christian church on a regular basis. Now he's got to "prove" he is a Christian and make up some politically correct speech about how his faith influences his performance as POTUS.
    So it appears that being Christian -- sufficiently and the correct "brand" of Christian -- is now a qualification for office.

Someone should tell Mitt Romney not to waste his time/money.
    America is not ready -- may never be ready -- for Brigham Young and Joseph Smith smile

1. starme77 profile image79
      starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not even going to bother to listen to his goofy speach

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

Prejudiced much?

3. profile image0

Ok, I'll admit it. Any religion that wears magic underwear and believes they'll rule their own planet in the afterlife is not going to be able to sire a son I would vote for. I don't care how unkind that sounds. I hope he stays out of the primaries.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now you know what your religion sounds like to rational people. lol lol

1. profile image0

LOL. I knew I was opening myself up for that, but I had to say it anyway.

5. Mighty Mom profile image78

Don't forget the golden plates!
    And (can't stop myself here -- too many episodes of Big Love) living on compounds with multiple -- often underaged -- wives.

(Yes, I do understand Romney is not a polygamist. But if you think the Swift Boaters and Birthers were/are relentless, just wait till you see what "they" do to Romney).

Romney is a walking magazine cover. The articles aren't as pretty as the cover looks.

The parade of people who claim "I know how to..." is pretty long. Obama did a good job winning the popular vote on that one. And you don't even have to be religious to be a member of that club.

6. lady_love158 profile image61
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

We all know Obama thinks he's god and doesn't believe in anything spiritual. Heck he doesn't even believe in the rule of law which explains his refusal to comply with the federal judges ruling declaring his health care bill unconstitutional.

Those are pretty big assumptions. Assumptions are not usually based on a whole lot of fact.

7. Mighty Mom profile image78

Interesting take, Daniel.
    Do the American people even rate candidates based on "I know how to?" Looking at recent elections and likely GOP candidates for 2012, it's not about knowledge. It's about image.
    Obama sold the populace on one word: HOPE.
    Brilliant branding.
    Clinton was actually the candidate who "knew how to" but she didn't have the charisma factor.
    McCain also would have known "how to" run the country.
    And he didn't have the charisma factor.
    Palin has the charisma factor, but there are very few people who believe she knows "how to" do anything other than incite anger and make money promoting herself and her kids.

8. Mighty Mom profile image78

Speak for yourself. I know no such thing. Spirituality is individual. None of us has the first idea about Obama's direct relationship with the God of his understanding.

Couldn't agree with you more, MM.

Additionally, I think you're right about the charisma factor. The point about the "I know how to..." club is that most any American with an opinion would probably be a card carrying member, hence its importance. What I'm saying about Romney is true of a lot of people. He working on image rather than charisma, because he's got two strikes against him for his religion and being so duplicitous.

I think Obama is smart for being a little illusive about his spiritual inclinations. I feel the same way about mine.

2. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yada yada yada if Obama is so spiritual why did he eject his church and pastor of 20 years and why hasn't he chosen a new church and why in recent speeches where he quoted the declaration of independence but left out the reference to God?
      No I don't know what's in his hear but neither do you but there is evidence to support my beliefs.

1. profile image0

But, do his beliefs on religion have anything to do with government? We are founded on the premise of separation of Church and State. In our multicultural society, don't you think it's even more important to leave our religion out of our decisions on who is most qualified to lead the country?

Morality is an important quality to look for, but no religion has the corner on that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm hoping for an acceptable alternative in the next election, but I don't understand why this question is an issue to any of us.

9. Mighty Mom profile image78

Having just seen the newsclip of Obama delivering his speech at the Prayer Breakfast, it was quite obvious he is annoyed at those who question his faith. He handled it pretty much how I expected him to handle it.

10. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

I tried several times to find the video of his speech.
    Finally got it, but was only able to listen to half of it.

Well, so far, he's gone from (last year) mocking Christians to, now, making jokes about God's intervention in life and using it all as a political tool.  No heart to it at all;  just mocking Fox News and the Right.

Gonna go back and try to find it and watch the second half, though I've no hint that it will get any better.....

11. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Okay...
    So, he got around to claiming credit for the Faith Based and Neighborhood whatever, (a liberal spin-off or transformation of Bush's Faith-Based Initiative) that he turned into a civil-rights group basically, leaving, of course, some of the good things that the group does, probably in an effort to sanction the specific agenda he has for it.   Nothing wrong with civil rights!   But in his hands, yes, there is something wrong with the envelope he throws all of it into.

He said some good things, talked about humility (after showing no humility in the first half of his speech).   Talked about the plans of God.  Even spoke the name of Jesus Christ!  Quite a transformation from his previous Prayer Breakfast.   I assume that can be accredited to whoever wrote his speech!   Because even though he talked about seeking the face of God,  he should at least stop hissing like the devil before he does so....
    Seriously, how anyone can get past that hissing is beyond me....

No evidence of any real heart change!   He still picked and chose the Scriptures that seem to make God out to be someone with the liberalism he himself espouses.    Talked about sin, but apparently fathoms nothing about changing his wicked ways.
    His mentors seem to be mostly men with their own racial agenda.  Even T. D. Jakes should've had him at the altar of repentance by now tellin' him how to be born-again, what a Christian really is.   But I guess not.   I hear Jakes doesn't believe in the Trinity anyway.   So all of Obama's mentors can't even seem to show him the right path, only how to keep his political status based on his knowledge of activism.

12. JON EWALL profile image60
    JON EWALLposted 13 years ago

hubbers
    During the presidential campaign, Barak Obama was being interviewed( can't remember by whom ). He was asked about his faith, he responded '' I am a Muslin ''. I seen him say it and I heard the response loud and clear.
    The tape problably has been destroyed.
    OBAMA refuses to have his records at Columbia to be released,afterall he promised a transparent presidency.Who is Barak Obama?

1. Stump Parrish profile image61
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You forgot to mention his birth certificate that lists his name as Barack Hussien Obama. What's with the middle name, huh?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4610977_f248.jpg

Have you heard that they are harvesting Obama's sperm and shipping it to the country of Africa? They are fertalizing hundreds of young women with the plan of starting an army of Obamas. the end of the world is near. Peace out.

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Bill Maher swears Obama isn't a Christian. How would he know? I don't doubt Obama's religious inclinations. Actually, I don't think a POTUS would have to be religious to be a good leader, anyway. If BO were a great prez, I wouldn't care if he worshipped Athena - as long as he didn't force everyone else to do so.

14. christiansister profile image59
    christiansisterposted 13 years ago

I have read through this thread and am left with the feeling of amazement. It sent me wandering thru my gray matter and this is what I came out with.
    The question arose in my mind that.....

Is it possible for a man, no matter how good intentioned,to come into office for 4 to 12 years and make changes that benefit the people?

First of all, at the speed of Government, the economic tide is swirling from years in the making. And any changes implemented would really take years to truly realize?

How can a man show up in Washington and upset the way things have been done for generations Because the governing people are the same. Only the puppets change?

If a man were elected into office and he decided to make change that was against the will of the governing body, How long do you suppose history would recount his presidency to be?

I love America because it is the most free place for me. And I cannot think of anyplace else that I would rather live in this era in time. And I believe that we have major problems but we are still the most free nation on this globe. That is my opinion.

But, I do not truly subscribe to the idea that the President has that much power. Of Course I could be wrong. But, hey that is my American born right to voice my opinion Right?

15. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

The separation of church and state in America
    As if God is going to judge politician different from everyone else.  America use to be filled with faith in Christ
    The Ten Commandments in the public buildings
    There Were Those Children who HAD to learn the Pledge of Legion

1.Matthew 10:33
    But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

The Pledge of Allegiance
    "I pledge allegiance"
    (I promise to be true)

"to the flag"
    (to the symbol of our country)

"of the United States of America"
    (each state that has joined to make our country)

"and to the Republic"
    (a republic is a country where the people choose others to make laws for them -- the government is for the people)

"for which it stands,"
    (the flag means the country)

"one Nation"
    (a single country)

"under God,"
    (the people believe in a supreme being)

"indivisible,"
    (the country cannot be split into parts)

"with liberty and justice"
    (with freedom and fairness)

"for all."
    (for each person in the country)

http://www.legion.org/flag/pledge

1. profile image51

Church and state should be separate in every country of the world so that everybody enjoys the freedom given by the Creator-God .

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems other countries don't mind be identified by their religous beliefs except some of us America NOW.

Should also add I think it's a bit arrogant of us to once again tell the world how they should think and act- Like us Americans.

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
          dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, many countries, especially in Europe, are surprised and slightly appalled by how much religion factors into American politics. I have met many Europeans who find the idea of a politician even mentioning God hilariously silly.

16. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

All political figures in America have to at least pretend to be religious. Trying to stay in office without being religious in America simply will not work.
    I think Obama is more likely to be a cupboard unbeliever myself. He has a decent education and would have left religion way behind.

1. profile image51

I think it might not be true; it may reflect only an atheistic wish.

17. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

I hate how our politicians in America have to pretend to be not only religious but Christian. Personally I believe Obama is probably an atheist (he seems too intelligent not to be), but I understand that if he wants to stay in office he has to play the game and play along with those who would throw a fit if they thought anyone un-Christian was leading the country.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)