Almighty God

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (200 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

This is specifically addressed to the Atheists those who say that God does not exist. As a Christian Believer I say you are wrong.

Why do you exert so much time and energy trying to prove to true believers that there is no God?

Why do you waste your breath attacking the God you claim is non-existant.

Why do you even care if some Christian believer believes in the word of God in the Bible as their salvation.

These are the actions of a hypocrite.

If God does not exist, then why attack something that is non-existant. More importantly how do you attack something that doesn't exist, isn't there and isn't real? Where is the logic in this?

The fact that you would attempt to do any of this tells me that you doubt your own convictions, but because you have attacked out of fear or doubt only serves to establish the existance of the very thing "GOD" that you try to deny, and avoid.

If it were me I'd be attacking something that I could disprove rather than something I could neither prove nor disprove. Hypocracy at its finest if you ask me. Fear of the unknown can be powerful.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Atheists are not known to go door to door and spew their superstitions and beliefs on others. That's a trait usually observed in believers, under the pretense of "love" and "sharing". We observe this heavily in the religion forums as well. Myself and others were listed by more than one believer as "demonic" and destined to "burn in hell" in such a thread. Those hubbers were banned and are no longer around, I believe, but the example fully illustrates the kind of contempt that spreads so easily when ideas are thrown at people and they are not welcomed.

I don't care what others believe. I only care if they are descent people who have the presence of mind enough to offer some respect and acceptance for others without all the conditions that so many believers throw on to people.

I have a family full of believers. I grew up a believer. And I've also had a gut full of it. So now I live and let live. Perhaps you and others might do the same?

1. melpor profile image90
        melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Daniel, I agree with you 100%.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Atheists still take joy an trying to attack that which they claim is not real. I would find it difficult to attack something I considered a myth, but atheists will go out of their way to do so.

If you live and let live, AND you claim to be an Atheist, then why are you giving any attention to what I have written?

Believe me I will never make the kind of statements like the others, but I really do not understand why professed Atheists desire to attack My God, when you do not even believe He exists, and I especially question why some of the other Atheists, on Hub choose to try and belittle me because of my beliefs in God and the Bible. There are 4 or 5 that seem to sit in wait for me to come on the forums just so they can try to attack me and make me seem foolish. People like Mark Knowles and beelzedad make me really upset with their attacking comments.

1. kld0517 profile image61
          kld0517posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am an Atheist and I am giving attention to what you have written because I'm under the assumption that Atheists are your target audience due to the fact that you are singling them out.  I feel that I can believe that there is no God just as much as you believe there is one.  I have never once tried to put that belief on someone else.  I have been married for 3 years and my husband just discovered a few months ago that I am an Atheist.  The reason for that is because it is irrelevant to the way I live my life.  My only request of you sir is please don't group all Atheists into one group of people that their only purpose in life is try to convince Christians that there is no God.  I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything.  I am only "wasting my breath" on this topic because I feel very sorry for you that you genuinely believe that all Atheists are the same.

I fully agree that you have the right to believe as you choose and i would support your choice too. My reason for my position is the fact that there are several Atheists who sit camped out on the religion forum who love nothing better than to belittle and attack Christians for their belief, the tone of their comments is quite annoying as they look down their noses at the believer and seek only to make fun of them.

1. kld0517 profile image61
              kld0517posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is completely understandable.  But wouldn't you agree that there are Christians and people of religion that do the same to the Atheist and Agnostic forums or in the world in general?   There are people who do not believe and that do believe that are hypocrites.  Hypocricy knows no affiliations.  It is unfortunate that there are some Atheists whose only goal is to attack and belittle others that do not share the same belief as them.  Just as much as it is sad that there are people of faith and religion that judge the life of others because it does not meet their own expectations of how they should behave.  Life is full of judgement.  You can say that you do not judge others and that you are completely open minded to everyone and everything but you will always have those lapses.  And even when you do, it doesn't make you a bad person.  I respect your opinion, just remember that we are not all the same just as I remember that you are not all the same.

You are right and I agree with you. It only takes one bad apple to spoil things for many. All I would like to be able to do is to have a serious religious conversation with other believers or those earnestly looking to learn more about God and religion, without some big mouth having to stick in his two cents worth of ridicule and belittling.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
                  Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, even when the olive branch is offered, you continue to insult those who offer it to you. You tell me where I personally offended you Dave, and I said I would apologize.

Now, you're just getting nasty. smile

2. profile image0
                  Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

maybe you need to read the 'turn the other cheek' thread?

2. Beelzedad profile image58

That's too bad, Dave. Perhaps, you should learn to separate the ideologies you embrace so that you are able to discuss them without letting your emotions control you?

What is it exactly that upsets you, Dave? Be more specific. If there is anything in what I say that is of a personal nature towards you, I will be happy to retract it and apologize. smile

Beelzedad I do not come to these forums to have my personal beliefs of worship attacked, or torn down. Nor do I come here to be ridiculed and made fun of. My reason my specific reason is to try and help others to find God through faith and help them to better understand Him and how his teachings through the bible might benefit them in their lives.
            Interjecting obtuse comments, trying to be disruptive benefit nothing except to maybe destroy.

Dave, it is the objective of any open forum on the internet to hold discussions, whether there is agreement in those discussions or not. If you are being personally insulted, you have the option of reporting to the admins, just like everyone else here.

Unfortunately Dave, these forums were not placed here for your personal benefit of teaching others. However, there are other forums more specific to your needs. I'm not asking you to leave and go there,  however it is an alternative that would indeed suit your needs.

If you wish to teach others here, write and publish hubs, that is your avenue here for such things. These forums are open to all for discussion, hence you must be prepared for others to disagree with you, just like everyone else here.

That's not true, Dave. No one is trying to destroy anything here, only discuss things, which is for what these forums represent and exist. smile

2. profile image0
              AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

(My reason my specific reason is to try and help others to find God through faith and help them to better understand Him and how his teachings through the bible might benefit them in their lives)

Dave,

Do you understand what you are saying here?  "...help others find God"

How can you find an idea?   You make a reification claim with this statement, that God is an object, a real thing that you can find, like you can find your lost checkbook.  The reality of your statement is not to help others find God, but you want to convince others to believe what you believe.  Your actions are not for them, but for yourself.  It's about control, Dave.  You are simply trying to control the beliefs of others.  Your rationalization is that this action of yours helps them - do you see that?

With this one simple statement, "...my specific reason is to try and help others to find God...", you have declared yourself to be nothing more than the internet's version of a door-to-door salesman, and from having been in sales a good part of my life, I can tell you that you are not always welcomed when you knock. 

Just like the vacuum cleaner salesman is trying to convince the housewife and husband that his model is superior and will cure their ills, so, too, does the internet evangelist try to convince his audience that his beliefs are superior and will cure their ills.

People are just people, Dave.  When you knock on the door, some people are polite, let you in, listen, but have no intention of ever buying.  Some people politely turn you away at the door.  Some slam the door in your face.  And then there are the ones who are fed up with salesman - best watch out for them - they just might set the dog loose on you.

You have to accept a lot of rejection before you find the next sale, and that rejection isn't always pleasant.  If you are going to peddle your beliefs, better get thicker skin.

The thing is I am not trying to share my beliefs with Non-believing Atheists, not unlike you I am trying to share my beliefs who want to know and understand about God and believing. Your comments when you jump in were not invited nor requested nor required but like all unwanted party crashers and bullies you give them all the same.

Explanations from myself and others (including Hubpages Elite) to you that this forum is not for that purpose does't seem to be phasing you at all, Dave. In other words, despite these explanations, you still feel compelled to ignore them. If that is the case, you are then going against forum rules. Therefore, if you continue to use these forums to evangelize, you most likely can get banne if folks report you. smile

2. profile image0

(not unlike you I am trying to share my beliefs who want to know and understand about God and believing.)

Sincere believers seem to have trouble grasping the disctinction between peddling their b-e-l-i-e-f-s and argumentation against a type of thinking.

My goal is to shine a light on irrational thought and get our culture to demand as much justification for belief in the irrational as it does for the rational.   We set up the FDA to gather evidence that the new drugs on the market will not harm us too badly - yet any Tom, Dick, or Harry can spew irrational ideas about knowing god's will without being called out by a single organization.

One would think that as much as we care about testing new drugs, we should care at least as much about testing irrational beliefs before they are taught to the next kid named David Koresh or Osama bin Laden.

3. profile image0

you say you are to help others find god...who are these 'others' if they are not atheists?  Hindus?

1. frogdropping profile image78
                    frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhhh my Bailey - that was so succinct I had a real lol moment there. Thanks smile

4. profile image0
                  Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dave, if what you say in this comment is true, then you yourself are being a hypocrite.  You specifically addressed the original post to atheists, unless I'm reading something wrong here.  Think before you respond to the comments that you yourself have solicited.  If you don't want to hear what others have to say about what you've posted, maybe you ought not post - or perhaps you should be a bit more clear about what you actually hope to accomplish from the jump.

3. qwark profile image60
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

G'mornin" Dave:

I'm not an atheist, agnostic, deist or a believer in supernatural divinities.

You defined "god" when you said "...my god...."

There are as many differing definitions of this "god" thing as there are those who believe in "it."

This "god" thing you mention is but a "concept."

The bible, torah, nt, or the qur'an does not offer a "definition" of it in any form but "opinion."

Your belief in "YOUR" imagined concept of this "god" thing, is just that i.e. a belief in an imagined concept.

What concerns me as a history buff, is the disgustingly abhorent amount of pain, suffering, death and destruction related to the concept of god/s over the past several thousand years...and it continues today.

I am also concerned that those contemporary human beings who have been innundated in religious myth, superstition and fear, give lip service to peace, and love but will willingly go to war and kill other human beings praying for their god's blessing and victory.

You will now say, that is not me!

History is rife with your ilk. Those who "mouth" love and peace but pick up the sword and race off to war willing to kill, maim and torture in the name of their "imagined' god thing.

I don't hate you!

I hate the level of self imposed ignorance you represent and your "willing" dedication to it.

QWark

I believe in MY God. I believe in what is taught and what I have learned about MY God. Please do not try and attack this.
            As a father defends his child with his life. I defend my right to believe.

There is a huge difference between one's child and one's belief in an ideology, Dave. You are free to defend your right to believe just as everyone else is free to disagree with that ideology. smile

2. qwark profile image60

...as I said Dave,

"  I don't hate you! I hate the level of self imposed ignorance you represent and your "willing" dedication to it."

Qwark

qwark: If ignorance is bliss. I guess I just want to be full of bliss.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                  Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

*Sound of hammer hitting nail on head.*

This may be the first time we agree on anything. sad

Mark the first the last and the only time. I refuse to banter with any of the people who I feel are attacking me or my beliefs. I refuse to let your insulting comments upset me anymore. Say and think what you will.

2. qwark profile image60

Dave:
                  That's the attitude that is frightening to me.
                  Wanting to be primitively ignorant?
                  You said it, you have every right to be that and remain so.
                  Good luck...smile:
                  Qwark

1. profile image0

Dear god,

If you are not real, please do not ever let me find out.

Your friend,

Osama

3. profile image0

(I just want to be full of bliss)

You have succeded, then, because you are surely full of it.  :-)

3. profile image0

(This is specifically addressed to the Atheists those who say that God does not exist. As a Christian Believer I say you are wrong.)

(I believe in MY God. I believe in what is taught and what I have learned about MY God. Please do not try and attack this.)

You walk into a bar, pick a fight with the toughest guy there, and then cry out, Don't hit me?

1. albc profile image59
                albcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Winston, I saw it like this -

physics is like a cage and atheists who choose to permanently live in there yell to the outside world: "I found no God in this cage! I found no God in this cage!"

I agree, there is no God there. How about you?

1. profile image0

(physics is like a cage)

albc,

Yes, and metaphysics is like the Dana character in "Ghostbusters".  There is no cage, there is only Zule.

And then you have the high priests of Quantum Physics, who say, Well, she's almost right but the name isn't Zule, it's Spacetime.   Gotta run.  Gotta go feed my dead cat, Schrodinger,  if she's still alive, that is.

2. profile image0

(This "god" thing you mention is but a "concept.")

the Qwarkster, the Qwakeroo, Quarkorama,

One teensy, tiny clarification.  All words are concepts.  Some of those resolve to real physical objects: tree, rock, apple.  Others, like "god" are abstract concepts, i.e., they cannot resolve to real physical objects unless we point to the hula Jesus on the dashboard of my car and declare that hula object to be "god".  Of course, it would then be difficult to explain how that hula object, sitting on the dashboard of my car, with a made in Taiwan, 2006 stamp on its bottom, was around to be "the word" which "in the beginning was the word" and "the word was with god" and "the word was god". 

In fact the only "words" I see on it are "Made in Taiwan, 2006", and I doubt the author of the book of John knew anything about Free Trade back in 95 C.E.

1. qwark profile image60

Hahaha...jeez! I'm not perfect AKA! DAmn!
              OK, OK....it's an "abstract" concept!...for sure!
              I stand, RESPECTFULLY, corrected.
              I thought I was above reproach as an "anal attentive" thinker and writer!
              I've been soundly whipped! 
              I bow, in reverence, to your exceeding superiority and excellence!  smile:

Qwark

1. profile image0

Qwark,

You may now kiss my ring.  :-))

1. qwark profile image60

AKA
                  I reverently drop to one knee in the presence of thee, take thy outstretched hand and bend to kiss, publicly and with a deserved respect...thy ring!
                  ...and the forum crowd accepts my good natured submission with a quietly whispered....Yesss!!
                  I am truly blessed with sanction and approbation!

My day has been made!   smile:

Qwark (tee hee)

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First, I'm not necessarily an atheist, nor am I believer. I don't care if there is a God. It's irrelevant to me. I find no inherent fact to support either position. But if you are going to ask the question, do you not expect an answer? And I have answered according to my perspective and experience.

Neither atheist nor believer is free from guilt about attack. Attacking has far more to do with personality than belief. And apparently the same types of personalities exist among believers as do non believers. So for you to make generalizations and blanket statements about atheists or anyone else for that matter, says more about your thought process than it does your intent to find an honest answer.

That's nice, but you have yet to demonstrate why we are wrong. Stating we are wrong does not make it so.

Non-believers spend far more time trying to prove their gods do exist. It's called evangelism, Dave.

You will also attack other religions and other gods, you have done so here, Dave, and you know it.

So, what's the difference, then?

We don't really care, Dave. It's when those beliefs are taken into the real world as some sort of absolute truth that the rest of us must agree and follow, or you will threaten us with eternal damnation.

Where is the logic in believing in invisible friends, Dave?

Yes, I'm sure you'll try to rationalize this as something completely different than what it really is.

Considering you have yet to prove anything regarding your gods, you obviously have your work cut out for you. And, if you truly believe your god exists, it should be a simple matter for you to prove it. smile

Whether you are right or wrong whether I am right or wrong is immaterial. We disagree. I have never asked you to prove your side, but you insist on proof from me. I am not here to deal with you. I am here to try and help those who have an interest.

Why do the beliefs of us who believe, believe in God trouble you so, since you believe not. Why waste your breath on us believers.

Belief is through faith and faith is through belief. I cannot believe in something I have no faith in as truth. You try to attack my faith and if I try to offer truth from the bible you then attack it.

You keep on referring to my "gods" I have only one God his name is Yaweh, aka. I AM, aka. The Lord, aka. Jehovah. My God has a son and his name is Jesus Christ.

If you truly desire proof of my God's existance every plant animal mineral, every thought invention everything in this world is from him even you.

If you noticed frogdropping explained to you in detail what I was also stating, this forum was never placed here for that purpose.

Many religions like Christianity are intolerant to others, which they base on their belief system. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

The so-called truth in the bible is so much intolerance towards those who do not share your faith, this intolerance is clearly out in the public and is affecting people who don't wish to have anything to do with it but are forced to deal with it.

Yes, that is your god as opposed to the god of many other believers.

Yet, when I begin to observe those plants, animals, minerals and even myself, I find no such gods existence to be present, and only the evidence of the natural world and how it came to be all on its own, quite contrary to the particular creation story you embrace.

Please remember Dave, there are many creation stories, all very different from yours. smile

It all boils down to like minded people with like minded thoughts,beliefs and ideas trying to have a serious and intelligent discussion and the interjection of an outsider's attempt to influence and force themselves where they are neither invited nor requested.

You claim you do not believe then why interject at all.

Again Dave, whether you believe others are "neither invited nor requested" is irrelevant in a public forum. If you want to have those kind of conversations, there are other forums specifically tuned for that purpose. Hubpages forums are not for that purpose.

Would providing any reasoning to you at all really make any difference, Dave? Will you then attempt to convince me why I shouldn't be here? smile

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
              Mikel G Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only wanting to see one side of an issue (your side) is what you are requesting Dave. You are telling everyone who believes differently than you that they are not welcome and they should keep their opinions to themselves, because it makes it difficult for you to promote what you believe, and it makes you angry when they disagree with you.

Offering the opposing opinion in an open forum is not gate crashing nor is it bullying.

If you don't want to hear both/all sides of an issue, then by all means find a place to hide from the people that don't agree with you and keep them locked out. Online in an open forum isn't that place.

We agree Mickel. Get out your calendar and mark it down, I know I will. Very well said, sir! smile

3. profile image0

(It all boils down to like minded people with like minded thoughts,beliefs and ideas trying to have a serious and intelligent discussion and the interjection of an outsider's attempt to influence and force themselves where they are neither invited nor requested.)

Dave,

If there were a god and a judgment day, can you imagine making this argument your defense?

god: and why did you not try to stop the Inquisition?
              Dave: They were just like-minded people, having a serious discussion...
              god: Go to hell, Dave.  That's ridiculous.

Enough is enough! I will not reply to anything more you have to say. Say what you like so long as you do not address it to me personally. I believe in God. I believe in what is taught or discovered through the Bible you do not have to.

1. profile image0

(Enough is enough! I will not reply to anything more you have to say.)

O.K,  but holding your breath until you turn blue seems a poor alternative to reasoned discourse.

4. frogdropping profile image78

An individual's belief is not your problem Dave - no matter how much you think it to be. The problem is the conflict in opinion. And this is a public forum.

This forum thread is the equal opposite of your query. An atheist stating his opinion.

If believers (I presume this is true for most part) have an unshakeable faith in whatever they believe in - as per your train of thought - then there is no need for them to refute. So why do they? Simple - they don't agree with it.

That's why when you or another posts something about religion you'll get opposing opinions. It doesn't matter that they don't believe - what matters is they don't agree with you.

And no matter how many times you scratch your head and wonder 'why do they bother' - the fact is they're thinking the same about you.

I fully agree so from now on I will just ignore their comments and only deal with those whom I choose to.

Dave, that is exactly what everyone else here, including myself, should strive to achieve as that is indeed the expectation of us all in a public forum. smile

2. profile image0

(Belief is through faith and faith is through belief. I cannot believe in something I have no faith in as truth)

Dave,

You are right.  (See, I can agree with you at times.  :-) ) 

What you are describing is knowledge.  Knowledge is mainly learned (passed on by authority) information that we accept as valid.  Obviously, much of that knowledge is critical to life - electricity can kill, etc. 

However, even knowledge can be subdivided into categories: that knowledge based on rational thought, and that knowledge based on irrational thought.  Rational thought has the abiltiy to explain without being ambiguous or defying known natural laws or stating ontological contradictions.

Belief in a immaterial, all-powerful being is irrational thought.  My attack is on irrational thought as valid knowledge.  If we can eliminate this type of magical thinking, we can improve the status of life for mankind.

After all, no one has ever flown passenger jets into skyscrapers because "electricity can kill" told them about 72 "electrifying" virgins.

We can agree that I have some sort of knowledge, that I do not simply regergitate verses from nowhere.

We agree that my knowledge is based on the rational not the irrational.

Can we agree that even though some of my knowledge comes from a book known as the Bible, that some or most of the facts in this book can be backed up by historical documented written proof?

1. profile image0

(We agree that my knowledge is based on the rational not the irrational.)

No, we do not agree.  Belief in the irrational passed on authortitatively does not magically transform the irrational into rational simply because it was repeated a thousand times.  Your belief fails the ontological contradiction test on many levels, as well as viloates natural laws.  Natural law: horses cannot fly: Islam: Mohammed flew to heaven and back on  a horse.  Natural law: dead tissue cannot be reanimated: Christianity: Jesus was raised from the dead after three days. 

The worth of knowledge is a value judgment.  I have knowledge of Frankenstein, but I judge that reanimation of dead tissue is fiction - regardless of who tells the story.

Re-animation of dead tissue is fiction o really then what about transplants of tissue and organs. The reported stories of doctors performing such, are they all fiction?

1. frogdropping profile image78

Organs are not dead tissue Dave. The donor is kept alive long enough for the removal of organs - which are then specially packed to prevent them from ... for want of a better word .... dying.

The donor is classed clinically dead, brain dead - not actually dead. 

Kinda horrible sounding but there you go. Once a person dies (in every sense) you can't use what may have been useful body parts. It's why doctors find it an uncomfortable question prior to asking for the donation.

If there was a way to use them after death then I think the need for organ donors would be less of an issue.

2. profile image0

(Re-animation of dead tissue is fiction o really then what about transplants of tissue and organs)

I thought you said you weren't going to answer me anymore.  I guess you decided that holding your breath until you turned blue wasn't as successful of debate strategy as you had hoped?

Regardless, there has never been a case in recorded medical history where tissue that has been well and truly dead for three days spontaneously reanimated into living tissue.  Three-day-old tissue has already started the decomposition process - which means first that the decomposition would have to be reversed and only then could reanimation occur.

Reanimation makes for good fiction, though.  But I like the one about the Count who could live forever by drinking blood even better.

3. profile image0

(Why do you exert so much time and energy trying to prove to true believers that there is no God?)

My top 10 reasons to change believers into non-believers:

10.  The Salem witch trials
        9.  David Koresh and Waco
        8.  The Reverand Jim Jones
        9.  Iran
        8.  Pakistan with nuclear weapons
        7.  India with nuclear weapons
        6.  Israel with nuclear weapons
        5.  Catholic's ban on contraceptives
        4.  Attacks on 9-11
        3.  The Crusades
        2.  The Inquisition
        1.  The Holocaust

AKA Winston: And what exactly do these 10 incidents in history have with trying to deceive and destroy the religious beliefs of others are you trying to declare yourself as satan and point out some power you have. Believers believe, because it is better than the alternative of nothingness and destruction and a meaningless death.

1. profile image0

Dave,

The motivation behind all the actions - real life actions that affected and continue to affect real lives - was due to irrational beliefs.  Eliminate belief in the irrational, and you take away the cause of these types actions.

I am certain you cannot graps this - not due to any lack of intellect, but simply because belief acts as a shield from intellect, which is what rationalization is - but the underlying cause of the Inquisition and 9-11 was the same: irrational beliefs.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
        Mikel G Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

pretty good reasons.

My reasons for wanting people to grow in knowledge, openminded belief/dis-belief, and acceptance of people that believe differently than they do, instead of the closed minded "this is the only choice you are allowed to have" type of belief:

10. The Salem witch trials 9. David Koresh and Waco 8. The Reverand Jim Jones 9. Iran 8. Pakistan with nuclear weapons 7. India with nuclear weapons 6. Israel with nuclear weapons 5. Catholic's ban on contraceptives 4. Attacks on 9-11 3. The Crusades 2. The Inquisition 1. The Holocaust

and there are a few others...

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

Accepting nonsense as reality is not being "open minded." Nor is accepting the religious beliefs that started, 10. The Salem witch trials 9. David Koresh and Waco 8. The Reverand Jim Jones 9. Iran 8. Pakistan with nuclear weapons 7. India with nuclear weapons 6. Israel with nuclear weapons 5. Catholic's ban on contraceptives 4. Attacks on 9-11 3. The Crusades 2. The Inquisition 1. The Holocaust, as being somehow valid or worthy of respect - sensible. These beliefs should be actively discussed and examined, and education made available - eventually they will go away and people will stop saying, "You can't disprove it - therefor it is true."

Is somebody telling you that you are "not allowed" to believe what you believe?

4. profile image0

(If God does not exist, then why attack something that is non-existant. More importantly how do you attack something that doesn't exist, isn't there and isn't real? Where is the logic in this?)

Dave,

Quite accurate.  (see, second time today I've agreed with you.)  What, indeed, would be the purpose of jousting with imaginary windmills?   

Atheists would be stupid to take such action.  Atheists typically are not stupid, though.  So what is the problem?

The problem, dear Dave, is that you have framed the question incorrectly.  You have created a strawman and then attacked that invisible strawman with your sword of righteousness.

Atheists do not attack gods.  To do so would mean that gods are physical objects, like cardboard boxes or blow-up hoocha koocha dolls.

Atheists attack a type of thinking - magical thinking of the kind that assumes that anything that can be imagined can also be real. 

Atheists don't attack gods - they just ask, can you draw a round square? 

The attack is then left up to you - after all, god is in YOUR head, so how can an atheist do anything but hand you the tools, reason and logic, so you may remove the offending ideas yourself?

5. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry quick question, but humour my ignorance for just a second please.  Why  is it the Almighty God, like don't people get what God means already, respectfully coupled with the Almighty OP of course roll

6. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's nice. All available knowable knowledge humankind has already discovered and understands, says you would be wrong. I'm not saying "atheist" are correct either, because "Atheist" is a non-belief or denial of a god's existence. Which is foolish to begin with.

As for me, I don't qualify, considering I hold no belief whatsoever. It's not a non-belief. The "god" you make reference to doesn't exist and just because you say it does, doesn't make it so. Reality you live in says there is no god whatsoever.
      Because, the world needs more love and compassion, and those who are religious are selfish.
      I am not attacking a "god". I'm not attacking anything. I'm putting to shame this mystical selfish faith, people continue to enact upon.
      Because it's selfish to do so. I care about the people of the world and it's obvious from many Christians' actions, they don't give a damn.
      Precisely what religious folks don't see in themselves.
      No one is attacking something that is non-existent. Atheists attack the "blindness" behind religion's faith. Get it straight.
      Apparently you misunderstand the actions of others. hmm
      In my case, no. I'm not denying the existence of a god, because, even though many think the possibility exists(within their own minds), what many fail to realize is that the probability rules any god out of existence.
      Fear of the unknown is why you when with religion in the first place. DUH! I would have figured you figured that much out for yourself, but I guess not.

Sorry, Christianity's religious philosophy and the doctrines of the bible are junk. The three major doctrines purposely puts a person against themselves, to live out their life never knowing the difference.

Enough said.

7. profile image0

Dave, in perusing the religion forums, I've run across a couple of your posts that are well written, but seem to be a bit combative.  I'm not sure if what you're trying to do is evangelize, but I can say this.  As a believer, I sometimes get the feeling from your posts that you actually mean to argue your way into convincing everyone that you're right and they're not.  I am a convicted Christian, and even I find myself occasionally taking offense at your tone.  And trust me, I'm pretty hard to offend.  Try maybe to be just a bit gentler?  I believe that what you're trying to do is open a discussion that might lead others to a belief in God.  That's admirable.  If that's the case, though, try to actually discuss rather than argue.  I often find it works wonders to help everyone understand each other's points just a bit better.

1. Cagsil profile image71

And you think that your post is going to change anything. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Curious to know what you think I'm trying to change.  I was simply giving Dave an opinion about what might make his posts a little less inflammatory.  It's conceivable however that flame wars, and not genuine discussion, is actually what this group prefers.  If that is the case, far be it from me to interrupt.  Please, talk amongst yourselves - but don't actually expect anyone to hear what you have to say because they'll be far more interested in formulating their response in an effort to shoot you down than in actually processing your opinion.  And frankly, I'm not in the market to change anyone or anything.  Sadly, I lack that particular power.  I'm really just interested in discourse.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60

Motown2Chitown: It is more a matter of being defensive rather than offensive. The people I am usually defensive against are beligerent and are Atheists who seem to enjoy attacking me.

1. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some of us enjoy watching theists squirm on the stake of reason, but I wouldn't say we really want to harm you.

Actually, many of us understand your deep emotional need for religion. It comforts you, it provides answers (incorrect answers, but answers), it calms your fears, it may appeal to your sense of justice and fairness and it may even cause you to act in charitable and humane ways.

Nevertheless, it is all false and you can't expect us to stand aside and let you speak nonsense without challenge.

Yet, it's interesting to note that other believers here are attacking you, too, for exactly the same reasons non-believers are attacking. smile

3. profile image0

Dave,

"Being defensive" is action based on perceived threat, when in reality the only threat is to your belief system - you incorrectly combine ego with belief and assume you and your beliefs are one.

They are not.

If you feel threatened by reason, the problem is most likely that your belief system is not valid and you are having to bolster it with irrationality and self-deception.  There is no other reason for defensiveneness.

AKA Winston: No I defend myself against those who would seek to draw me or coerce me away from my peace and my God, people like you who seem to find pleasure trying to belittle me and berate me with you comments.

1. Pierre Savoie profile image60
                Pierre Savoieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is not necessarily that people take pleasure in "belittling"  you, but that your range of thought appears extremely narrow.  As Richard Dawkins said, "What if you're wrong?"  What if there IS no God, which is certainly supported by the fact no one actually SEES these 50-foot-high pillars of smoke and fire that God is supposed to be like (the same God who's "the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow").

It is very easy to hypnotize people into believing they "felt" God.  Hundreds of  years ago, on this continent, they sent young boys on a "spirit walk" and what they saw, what their whole society led them to expect, was to see a "spirit animal" which would guide them in life.  They saw Crow or Fox or Badger, but never Jesus Christ.  It's the same with this constant auto-hypnosis you have been subjected to in your life.  There comes a time when you might realize what is happening, and snap out of it.  It's always possible.

Pierre Savoie: You mention some man named Richard Dawkins and quote him as asking: "What if I am wrong?" Well that is simple to answer. First I will have to die. If I am wrong and there is no God no Heaven or Hell, then my bones that are left, since I am an organ donor will end up in a grave and that's that, but what if I am right. I in spirit form as God is spirit, will end up in Heaven with my God, but what about you?

Nope, no dice!   You are expressing, without realizing it, a fallacy named Pascal's Wager.  It is debunked here
                    http://atheism.about.com/od/argumentsfo … swager.htm

I could live through life with a belief that Porky Pig is REAL, and twelve feet high, and upon my death Porky will glide down from the sky on a knotted-rope made of the most succulent bacon the world has ever tasted, resurrect me bodily, and then carry me on my shoulders as he goes around town meeting everybody who has wronged me and destroy them with laser-beams that shoot out his eyes.
                    I could use exactly the same reasoning as you!  If I am right, then I will have a high old time and all my meals to the end of eternity will be bacon-flavoured.  If I am wrong, I lose nothing.  The point is that it is a fallacy to present these outcomes as equally likely, and there IS a negative cost to such a religious belief.  I might be ridiculed, I might be so preoccupied with Porky theology that I would lose legitimate educational and career opportunities, or I might turn fanatical and torture and kill people with bacon in the service of my God.  Do a total accounting and you'll see Pascal's Wager fails.

Pierre: If I am right about God and heaven and you are wrong, and you still refuse to accept the truth even when faced with the alternative of heaven or hell, then you will be the loser.

2. profile image0

(No I defend myself against those who would seek to draw me or coerce me away from my peace and my God, )

Sorry, Dave, but I have to call BS.  If all you wanted was peace and contentment you wouldn't be here picking a fight.

2. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Jesus was neither a god nor a son of god.

The Creator-God is the almighty God; Jesus created nothing everything remained as it was before Jesus.

(IF?) that were the case, which it is not, how do you explain: GENESIS: 1: 26 "And God said,let (us) make man in our image, our likeness:

3. pylos26 profile image69
        pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Matthews...surely you are above this jibberish.

4. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
        Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dave, I agree ... God Bless you.

And though, I may not believe in God the way you do, but rest assured, I am with you, when it comes to 'fighting' satanic infidels.

Please allow me to say ... Your post has given me yet another Perspective of the British's axiomatic hypocrisy ... defining, the Applied of Hypocrisy ...  while they were colonizing the technologically lesser advantaged NATIVES of Asia, Africa, Americas, Australia and New Zealand etc., with gun powder, deceit, and hypocrisy  ... it goes:

" ATTACK  ... WHEN IN DOUBT  !  "

and another ...

"Offense is the best defense ! "

Regards

5. profile image52

I agree with your above words about the Creator-God whom Jesus used to call God-the-Father and whom Jesus used to worship and pray.

As I said earlier Jesus himself was neither a god nor a son of god. To call Jesus a god is wrong.

Paarsurrey: It is one thing for you to make the bold statement that you do about Jesus not being God nor the Son of God, but with me you have to be able to substantiate such a statement prove it. The Holy Bible at the time of His baptism by John the Baptist in the river Jordan states that God Himself, declares Jesus to be His Son. God would not make such a declaration if it were not truth.

1. profile image52

The Bible was not written by Jesus or dictated by Jesus or by anybody authorised by Jesus.

The Holy Bible's writings,every word is spoken by God and Jesus as Son of God to mortal man to be recorded for all time.

1. profile image0

And as soon as you give the thumbscrews another twist, we will all agree with you, right Dave?

Sure, that's what they said about the Old Testament, too. LOL!

8. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Often times religious threads ask a question - much like yours is now doing. You're asking (or opening up) for debate.

Every time you feel attacked - I will assume you find it offensive. What then is the difference between someones faith being refuted and a believer constantly stating (often at the end of posts) 'but God loves you anyway', 'god bless you' or similar?

To me there is none. Reminding an atheist that he's loved by something he doesn't believe in is about the same as saying 'whatever - up yours'. Passive - but still as offensive.

As for your latest comment, about being left alone etc etc - if you're looking for a closeted environment in which you can talk about religion, share your thoughts and feelings - why use Hubpages? It wasn't set up as a place for believers to come and save people - whether or not they want saving.

It is a writing site - period. It exists on the backs of those that make the effort to write and publish quality content. Without that - there would be no Hubpages - the hard work of the staff team notwithstanding. In it's early days it didn't even have a forum.

As for helping others to find faith - do you seriously believe individuals have these moments whereby they feel the need to adopt a faith - and so they join Hubpages?

Folks come here to write - they don't come here to be convinced of which religion is best and why they should believe it. Do a poll - and find out yourself.

Check out how Hubpages advertizes the site - it doesn't mention religion.

Frogdropping: I agree with what you say here. Believers simply are looking for a place to converse with like minded others. They do not need the interjections of non-believers who try and destroy. This is what both sides face, but the believer never asks for the non-believer to chime in. It is like a party crasher simply dropping in.   The Forum area is dedicated to religion. If a religious follower wishes to converse and exchange opinions why should this bother you, especially since you have nothing to do with religion and claim you do not believe in God.

Dave, there are forums specifically set up for that purpose, why don't you visit them instead? smile

2. frogdropping profile image78

I never claimed anything Dave. I answered your question from my perspective. That's what tips the forum up so much - different strokes.

My sister loves yogurt. She tells me how great it is for people like me (I have gripey IBS) and all I ever say is 'can't stand the stuff - you want it, knock yourself out'.

That's all religion/non-religion is. Left vs right. Up vs down. Black vs white. Politcs the same. Socialist/capitalist - round and round.

Everyone's got an opinion on something. And this is a public forum. If my sister kept coming here and saying 'yoghurt is awesome' - I know I'd probably step in and say 'only if you like it'.

The yoghurt analogy is true btw.

2. Bronson_Hub profile image59
        Bronson_Hubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Frogdropping,

Thank you for posting that.  I agree with you that these arguments just go round and round in circles, and I also see clear as day what you pointed out. The passive-intolerance that last-word these "non-arguments" with a "but god loves you anyway" are just as intolerant as the undisguised disagreements.

And I also agree that intolerance of another's opinion takes many forms and isn't exclusive to religion.  Atheists and agnostics can be just as dogmatic.  There's something unsafe about people who wish to control your beliefs, especially more so when they try to mask those attempts at getting inside your psyche. 

It's like they keep knocking, "Lemme in!"  and seeing our opinion is our personal property for us to decide if we want to change it or not, we reply, "No way." 

So they try something else and knock on the proverbial door again, "Hey, um, this is uhhh, your best friend, Joe."  Unfooled, we say, "Dude just give it up, you can't have control of my thoughts!"  So what do they do?  They start leaving stuff at the door wrapped with bows and such and in a way, even though it's called loving, it completely rejects our right to choose what we believe in as well as our existence as autonomous, free thinking individuals.

"Love" in that sense symbolizes forcing one's will upon another person who may or may not consent to it.  The Golden Rule founds itself on this essential quality. 

I believe the silver rule respects autonomy and our right to our opinion and the golden rule, even though at first glance appears benevolent, might not be so.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..." involves doing something even if the person doesn't want it.  What if you want to be left alone and not have people attack your opinions?  Well, that would require you to not do something unto others as you would have them not do unto you.  That latter version is called the Silver Rule, but honestly, if we're ranking the goodness (yes I know goodness is subjective, just go with the colloquialism tongue) of bronze, silver, gold like we rank record sales, can we motion to rename "The Silver Rule" into "The Platinum Rule"?  smile

9. thirdmillenium profile image62
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

To all those who believe:
      I found a way out of this dilemma: I made my peace with Mark Knowles and Ernesthub who are both vociferously anti-christian. They would die saying what they are saying. And, I would die saying what i am saying.
      Just do not give attention to what they say. They are basically good people like you and I. Just don't let them trap you  and you are fine.

Hi Mark, how are you?
      Where is Ernest?

That certainly isn't what Jesus would teach his followers to do. smile

1. thirdmillenium profile image62
          thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read your Bible, sir

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"
            (Matthew 5.43-45 ESV)

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye?

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye"
            (Matthew 7.1-5 ESV)

All good Biblical Quotes and reminders to any willing to listen.

Yes Dave, you should listen. smile

2. thirdmillenium profile image62
              thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I said Mark and Ernest were good people. What is love if this is not?

1. profile image0

(What is love if this is not?)

Of course it's not an example of love.  Here, let me help.  This is an example of real Christian love.

"He who hears this name [God] from a Jew must inform the authorities, or else throw sow dung at him when he sees him and chase him away."

-Martin Luther, 1543,  "On the Jews and Their Lies"

I would agree they probably are good people. They have come to  hone their own moral and ethical behavior on reason and logic. They understand fully the consequences of their bad behavior if that is the behavior they choose to exhibit.

Mark and Ernest also understand that by choosing bad behavior, it would be logical and reasonable to assume others will make the same choices and exhibit bad behavior towards them. And, since neither Mark or Ernest are interested in receiving bad behavior themselves, then by use of reason and logic, they would not exhibit bad behavior to others for want of receiving it themselves.

But, there is also something else Mark and Ernest understand, and that is they are abhorred and disgusted when they see or hear of others exhibiting bad behavior, and would never align themselves with any person, place or organization that does indeed exhibit such behavior.

Upon turning to scriptures, they can find ample examples of bad behavior, exhibited by both men and gods. And, while they also would agree there are most certainly passages in scriptures that exhibit the same moral and ethical values they have themselves , they also look at the dark and sordid side of those scriptures and understand it is not something of which they would themselves be aligned.

Hence, their choices are in no way evidence for the existence of a god, and if scriptures has any bearing, it is indeed evidence that their moral and ethical behavior is a choice they made without the existence of gods.

smile

1. profile image0

Beel,

This is one of your best replies ever.

I don't have that much patience.  I simply pick up the club of reason and play whack-a-mole, not really expecting to pound in any sense but hoping at least to win enough tokens to keep people busy riding rides instead of killing each other.

Thank you, sir. I know I spoke for both Mark and Ernest on this one and would hope I was accurate in my attention to detail regarding their worldviews. Cheers. smile

10. Rastamermaid profile image66
      Rastamermaidposted 13 years ago

Dave I understand what you're trying to say,but obviously as you forecasted...

Some people set up camp just to belittle,degrade and try to put down your beliefs and your view.

That's just plain old rude.

I've noticed that often atheist camp out on religious forums just for that purpose.

No it's not all of them,really most of them say nothing just watch,but afew and we all can name them,only want to start up mess.

I take it as a joke.

Someone telling me not to believe what I believe,or that what I belief is wrong,knows nothing about faith.

Regardless of what you say my faith is strong,so strong that I don't need to put anyone down,talk bad or anything else to attempt to make you feel bad or see my way.

I have faith in my beliefs,but most of all I have love and faith in myself.

Really? Is the threat of eternal damnation to a non-believer just plain old rude or is it acceptable? smile

1. Rastamermaid profile image66
          Rastamermaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really?

It's nothing coming from you!

While I understand the actions and results of actually experiencing eternal damnation are probably nothing more than myth, it would follow that whether a believer or non-believer makes the threat, it will result in nothing. Yeah, I get that.

The question is surrounding the fact of whether or not it is acceptable to make the threat to others, or is it rude?

I hope that clarifies my previous post? smile

2. Rastamermaid profile image66
        Rastamermaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry,I can't stop laughing!

Dave you started this discussion forum,but someone is telling you that you should go to another forum.

Someone trying to kick you out of your own discussion

That's classic!!!

1. profile image0

(Someone trying to kick you out of your own discussion)

They are just trying to help him find his way home because he keeps walking around in circular arguments.  :-)

11. albc profile image59
      albcposted 13 years ago

Dave, what I saw was - physics is like a cage and atheists who choose to permanently live in there yell to the outside world: "I found no God in this cage! I found no God in this cage!"

I agree, there is no God there. How about you?

That's a very interesting and clever analogy, did you read that elsewhere or did you pen that? If so, well done, sir! smile

1. albc profile image59

It took me two days to think about this believer vs. non-believer issue, I think I have arrived at a good conclusion. Thanks if you agree with me.

I agree it is a clever analogy, I just don't agree with the premise that physics is a cage. smile

1. profile image0

I would agree that the cage analogy is not fitting.  I would imagine physics to be more like a clear plastic bubble that separates reality from the spooks and spookies floating in space, materializing then vanishing, hovering around the edge of the bubble, trying to get in.  The non-physics side of the bubble is like the video that was used to begin The Twilight Zone t.v. show, with  ghosts and Einstein's equation and a ticking clock running backwards.

In that sense, we can just point to the imaginary side of the bubble as the area where gods live, and state that no gods live inside the bubble.

1. profile image0

I see christians as living in their own bubbles

1. profile image0

(I see christians as living in their own bubbles)

Baileybear,

But that is the very illusion that confounds the Christian - he thinks he is insulated in his own bubble and is unaware that for his beliefs to be real, he has to be outside the reality bubble along with the other irrational beliefs like the reality of a flying horse (Islam), reincarnation (Hindu) and a Lost tribe of Israel that lived in the U.S. (Latter Day Saint). 

Along with these irrational beliefs, we also find square circles, ghosts, intersecting parallel lines, demons, and 4-sided triangles.   

So, you see, there is no safety in one delusional bubble over another - because the bubbles themselves aren't real.

2. albc profile image59

I see physics as a framework (with its own rules etc) where Atheists comfortably dwell, I dubbed it as a 'cage' because it is in a way limit your deduction.

I think physics is only a subset of something bigger. So, I 'use' physics when dealing with things that relevant to it.

But, physics and/or natural laws cannot be used to evaluate the existence of God because God is supernatural or beyond physics.

Is there any 'supernatural laws' out there (it must a complete opposite of natural laws)?

1. profile image0

(But, physics and/or natural laws cannot be used to evaluate the existence of God)

albc,

Strange conclusion seeing how physics is the study of existence, of what is real.   If one wished to know if god is real, physics would be the first and last stop.

Of course, if all you want is someone to reenforce your beliefs, you could always ask a ouija board or maybe a magic 8-ball or your local priest.

12. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Nonbelievers don't have to go door to door when they can put their speculation in school books, on the television through law bills that limit the practice of spiritual worshippers.

1. profile image0

Listen, I'll make you a deal. 

I won't come into your delusion looking for trouble; in return, stay out of my world.

Deal?

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

2. SpanStar profile image60
          SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AKA Winston,
              I presume you're addressing me- if that be case I can't think of anything I'd like more then saying the heck out of whatever reality you say you're residenting in if you stay the heck out of mine.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

How have you been limited exactly?

13. TahoeDoc profile image78
      TahoeDocposted 13 years ago

I'm not really sure what else you'd expect when you start a thread with these words...

"This is specifically addressed to the Atheists...

can you really expect to not get an answer by the people who the thread is "addressed" to?

1. profile image0

(can you really expect to not get an answer by the people who the thread is "addressed" to?)

TahoeDoc,

It makes perfect sense if you've spent years addressing a deity without receiving any answers.

1. TahoeDoc profile image78
          TahoeDocposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right, it's actually perfectly consistent.  Brilliant Winston smile

14. Pierre Savoie profile image60
      Pierre Savoieposted 13 years ago

But people who believe in imaginary thing can still cause great damage to society.  It is silly to sit there claiming we should do nothing because the thing imagined by a psychopath is not real so there is no real issue or problem.  Religious people MADE it an issue by spreading so much damage to the Earth.

They claim there is "spirit" (an unreal thing) and people should take care of the things of this "spirit", but they deny sex (which is within 3 feet of each of us) and it is this situation that has caused the churches in Africa to ban the use of condoms which has made people more susceptible to AIDS, since they listen to what is 3 feet away from them more than these invisible "spirits" they are supposed to pay attention to!

Atheists are the Damage Control of society.  When society is being rocked by torpedoes or bomb-hits from spiritual wars, Atheists repair the damage.

Religion can cause damage at any time, from any quarter.  Witness the mainstream church, part of the Assemblies of God, that got an award from President Jimmy Carter's wife for their charity-work.  All of a sudden their leader decided it was necessary to separate themselves from the "sinful" society, so they pack up to the jungles of Guyana.  Through a turn of events, 900 believers ended up in the death-throes of the poison cyanide Kool-Aid.  Yes, I really am talking about Jim Jones and his "People's Temple".  They were a TYPICAL Christian group, not a fringe one.  You just never know who or what is going to go bad, even mainstream churches, influential and central to their communities.  We are just now scratching the surface of the molestations by Catholic priests, for example.

The stinking Christian dead bodies in the jungles of Guyana were REAL.  They were a REAL problem.  Are you saying that Atheists should do nothing since the beliefs in God that motivated this slaughter were not real?  ALL Christian denominations have this potential to become like that.  If they DON'T, it's because the individuals don't have a sufficient commitment to the Christian faith, or are too addicted to the high American living of SUVs and daily barbecues to make any sacrifices!  But Atheists have a RIGHT to criticize this.  If your future eternal happiness is fundamentally based on the destruction of everybody else, we have a problem with that!  If you work to make women miserable for 18 years by banning abortions, we have a problem with that!  We will criticize your beliefs long and loud, and we are free to, in order to prevent the recurrences of these STINKING DEAD BODIES!

1. qwark profile image60

HERE, HERE PIERRE!
        Qwark

Thank you, but the expression is "Hear!  Hear!" as in "Listen to what this guy is saying."

1. qwark profile image60

Np at all..smile: .when one is in a hurry to get the message across...sometimes one just reverts to phonetics and hopes the intent was understood..smile:
            Qwark

2. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you may be overstating the problem to a degree.

Atheists to do not all of the clean up behind problems.

Christian are not typical of Jim Jones.

I don't see a valid reason why anyone would believe, or attempt to make others believe, these points.

How do you know they are not typical of Jim Jones?  Any Christian group worth its salt, that doesn't just open a building on Sunday, mutter stuff and then close a building that same day, is going to want to do something radical.  After all, GREAT THINGS are in the balance!  We live at the most CRUCIAL END-TIMES where there is a cosmic battle between forces of Good and Evil for your SOUL!  Nothing else counts, and for the Christian to ensure his eternal happiness he must WORK for the End-Times and the TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF EVERYONE ELSE!  It's in the Bible that it will happen!
          But most American Christians are not that dedicated; it's all they can do to bring sufficient potato-salad for everyone to the church basement for the after-party.  However, let a charismatic leader get in there, someone who reminds them of the SIGNIFICANCE of the words they are muttering.  Everyone else is evil and influenced by Satan, who can doubt it?  So it stands to reason the good Christian must make the extra effort and separate from them.

It is a mess, and the Atheist has to point the way to not only material progress but social progress, such as officially Atheist Europe, which makes its decisions in a secular way (NO prayers at the EC council meetings, NO mention of God in the EC constitution.)

1. profile image0

Wow, that would be ridiculous, if it wasn't so scary that you might believe it.  Bring on the end times? I don't know that anyone would agree that anywhere in the Bible it says man is supposed to light the fire to end the world.

If you really fear that, you are so far removed from reality that it would be pointless to attempt to bring you back. You obviously have no knowledge of the subject you have chosen to harp about.

Fantasy does not equate to fact.

If you are aware that what you are saying is untrue, then I will as that spreading hatred is probably not in the interest of the general good.

Do I need to quote Bible quotes at you?  Do I need to go to each Christian to have them admit that their future eternal happiness in Heaven depends on the incineration of everyone else?  These are Biblical facts which a Christian can not doubt.

1. profile image0

No.you are wrong. I can state that, unequivicably, as a Christian. Don't bother with your 'facts' from scripture.  Anyone can find anything they want and piece meal it together. Taken as a whole, this is not the intent, or the spirit, of the New Testament.

I find your statements ludicrous to the point of being inflammatory.

Ironically, this statement is way too funny. lol lol

Good to know for the next a Christian pulls out scripture and pronounces it as truth.
                  The NT is a scam on the people and had you actually researched it, instead of taking it on blind faith, then you would know.
                  Oh, color me oh so surprised. What else is new from religious folk. hmm

1. profile image0

You too, I find pushing a fantasy envelope. But we already knew that.

Fantasy? lol

You're the one who believes in a god. lol lol

I deal only in reality....you're the one with a supernatural father. lol

2. Pcunix profile image90

So you understand that it is all nonsense, but still you believe.. Still you preach..

See PC, do you see the level of honesty? Gotta love it. lol

2. profile image0

I am not preaching.  To accuse me of that is unfair, as I'm sure you know from my posts.  I am simply stating that to espouse a view of hatred such as that is neither factual or fair.

1. Pcunix profile image90

You preach.  Don't fib.

3. profile image0

Pierre,
        At this very instant, 300,000,000 fingers are pointing to the other guy.

Well stated.

1. profile image0

Actually aka, I think your count is about four billion off.

15. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

My, oh my, my, my, my, my, My!

So who is more stubborn, ignorant, and closed minded - a Believer or a Non-Believer??

Sheesh!  The whole point behind the Debate of whether God exists, is to be OPEN-MINDED!!

How else are we going to discover HOW the world works, WHERE we came from, and WHY we are here???

1. qwark profile image60

Hi Raf:
        "god?"
        What's this god thing you just mentioned?
        Yes, I'm still asking 'cause no one has given me anything but an opinion yet.
        Do ya think think I'll ever get an answer that's not just an opinion?
        If ya think not, why not?
        Qwark

1. Rafini profile image83
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for asking, again, Qwark.  Today, I have an answer. smile

God is the essence of Life.

1. qwark profile image60

Dang it Raf:
            Just another doggone opinion...my, my, my   lol smile:

Qwark

lol  But a good one!   big_smile

1. qwark profile image60

Hey RAf:
                In todays economy, worth less than a dime!
                I can't even buy 1 Mickey D french fry for that opinion....smile:
                Qwark

(opinions aren't intended for monetary use or gain smile )

1. qwark profile image60

Yer right Raf:
                    Can't buy anything for a dime anymore so even my opinion about yer opinion is worthless...lol  smile:
                    Qwark

big_smile lol

o.k.!  big_smile

2. Pierre Savoie profile image60

"One must not be so open-minded that their BRAINS start to leak out."

In the pre-scientific age, when issues were only under the tender ministrations of philosophers, they liked to set up conundrums and unresolved either-or situations.

But this is not an either-or situation.  The consequences of a claim can be examined now, proof can be demanded in a scientific fashion.  To be respected are only the views which explain the facts.  A right explanation brings the possibility of explosive progress along that way.  A wrong explanation will stagnate everything and nothing new gets done.  So beware of wrong explanations imposed by political leaders and witch-doctors that stagnate everything!

Look at how radically the God-claim changes!  Hypotheses and theories of worth usually converge to common agreement, but in the beginning God was "up there, in the sky".  The Sumerians said bow down to God, of which there are many, because they can fly around and you can't.

Oops!  That didn't last forever once we flew in the skies ourselves.  Not much publicized in America was when Yuri Gagarin, the first man who got into space, radioed back, "Hmm, no God here!" and Ground Control laughed.  Then God was claimed to be further out into space, but we have the Hubble telescope now and can see everything.

THEN they claim God is in some mysterious, "spiritual" realm.   But scientists hold the monopoly on detecting invisible things (X-rays, planets past Saturn) and making them known to all.  Religion has brought us NO NEW INVISIBLE KNOWLEDGE, they just mouth the stories of thousands of years ago with only tiny changes.  They don't show God, they don't show God-stuff, they have no breakthroughs in applied Creation Technology, and yet I would dearly love to have a Create-o-wave oven that makes me my bread and fishes for free...

As for claims "only religion" can answer WHY we are here, maybe we need the maturity to realize there IS no reason.  Beware of people trying to sell you that you have a purpose; they are probably witch-doctors manipulating you for THEIR purposes.

1. profile image0

(Beware of people trying to sell you that you have a purpose; they are probably witch-doctors manipulating you for THEIR purposes.)

Pierre,

Yes, but the tiger-tooth necklace rattle is a tough argument to refute - especially when they have those feathered spears pointed at you..

2. profile image0
          jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

to the point,pierre

beware the believers are making eternal hell for you though they love you

16. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 13 years ago

People, People, People,

What can be done with them.  They've never created a universe, The ability to created already exist inside people so they don't have the compacity to create life.  Heck they we can't even health ourselves if the body decides to reject the processes we're using. BUT for all we can't do we STAND IN JUDGEMENT of an non-existence God for some people and we pound our chest as if we're something.  We are something and here are a few of what some of us are.

* Liars
      * Thieves
      * Robboers
      * Rapers
      * Haters
      * Murders
      * Stealers
      * Deceivers
      * War Makers
      * Etc.

Oh Yea- We Got The Right To Judge Others.

17. secularist10 profile image60
      secularist10posted 13 years ago

"This is specifically addressed to the Atheists those who say that God does not exist. As a Christian Believer I say you are wrong."

I am not an atheist, but I am a secularist/ agnostic who does not believe in God, and does not not believe in God, so I'll take a stab at your questions.

"Why do you exert so much time and energy trying to prove to true believers that there is no God?"

Ultimately, it is because beliefs have consequences.

"Why do you waste your breath attacking the God you claim is non-existant."

Nobody attacks God. How can one attack something that isn't there? One attacks the IDEA of God.

"Why do you even care if some Christian believer believes in the word of God in the Bible as their salvation."

I don't care, per se. But it becomes my business when they seek to convert others, and/or when their private beliefs have public consequences. In addition, I care about human knowledge and intelligence, which is threatened not by belief in God, but by much of religious and supernatural thinking.

"These are the actions of a hypocrite."

How so? A hypocrite is someone who says one thing, but does the opposite. I say I am critical of religion, and I am. No hypocrisy here.

"If God does not exist, then why attack something that is non-existant. More importantly how do you attack something that doesn't exist, isn't there and isn't real? Where is the logic in this?"

LOL, looks like you have answered your own question. Again, no one attacks God, one attacks the IDEA of God, or the BELIEF in God along with its consequences.

"The fact that you would attempt to do any of this tells me that you doubt your own convictions, but because you have attacked out of fear or doubt only serves to establish the existance of the very thing "GOD" that you try to deny, and avoid."

Total non-sequitur. If one spends one's life attacking the existence of the flying purple people-eater, does that therefore mean the latter exists?

"If it were me I'd be attacking something that I could disprove rather than something I could neither prove nor disprove. Hypocracy at its finest if you ask me. Fear of the unknown can be powerful."

Again, hypocrisy is nowhere to be found here. God cannot be disproven, but it can be shown that it is highly illogical and irrational to believe in God.

18. Bronson_Hub profile image59
      Bronson_Hubposted 13 years ago

All I know is that when He's rollin' up his sleeves, he ain't just puttin' on the ritz. 

*refrain*

1. profile image0

"There's thunder in his footsteps and lightning in his fists"

19. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years ago

Aren't the past 9 pages of religious inanity, a pretty good example of why contemporary man is headed for disaster?
      Expand the differences expressed here to 6.7 billion people and ya realize that "never-the-twain-shall-meet."
      Qwark

20. Pierre Savoie profile image60
      Pierre Savoieposted 13 years ago

Nope, no dice!   You are expressing, without realizing it, a fallacy named Pascal's Wager.  It is debunked here
      http://atheism.about.com/od/argumentsfo … swager.htm

I could live through life with a belief that Porky Pig is REAL, and twelve feet high, and upon my death Porky will glide down from the sky on a knotted-rope made of the most succulent bacon the world has ever tasted, resurrect me bodily, and then carry me on my shoulders as he goes around town meeting everybody who has wronged me and destroy them with laser-beams that shoot out his eyes.
      I could use exactly the same reasoning as you!  If I am right, then I will have a high old time and all my meals to the end of eternity will be bacon-flavoured.  If I am wrong, I lose nothing.  The point is that it is a fallacy to present these outcomes as equally likely, and there IS a negative cost to such a religious belief.  I might be ridiculed, I might be so preoccupied with Porky theology that I would lose legitimate educational and career opportunities, or I might turn fanatical and torture and kill people with bacon in the service of my God.  Do a total accounting and you'll see Pascal's Wager fails.

21. profile image0
      BunuBobuposted 13 years ago

Atheists should not have to prove there is no God.
      Why can't religious people prove that God exists!

1. profile image52

If the Atheists cannot prove non-existence of the Creator-God that is enough proof that He exists.

1. secularist10 profile image60
          secularist10posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Therefore since you cannot prove non-existence of the flying spaghetti monster, that is enough proof that he exists.

2. profile image0

(If the Atheists cannot prove non-existence of the Creator-God that is enough proof that He exists.)

It can be proved - you simply won't accept that proof.

Inductive reasoning is based on probability.  What good is proof if you won't accept a 99% probability that you are wrong?

Do you really think proof is the key criteria?  If so, I guess you think the L.A. police poured about 5 gallons of O.J.'s blood all over the crime scene because everyone knows there was no 100%, ironclad proof otherwise.

22. wormdo profile image60
      wormdoposted 13 years ago

To be honest, I spend less than 1% of my time trying to disprove the existence of any god, Christian or not.

But something that confuses me about Christians like you is you seem to think that secretly I really do believe, or that I'm purposefully choosing to not believe. Is it a choice for you to believe or not? I'm sure you'd say that it's more of a gut feeling, right? That you just feel that your god is real and that he's there?

It's the same for me. I was brought up Christian. I wanted to be Christian. I find the thought of an afterlife and a deity who loves me a lovely, comforting idea. But I don't believe it. When I try to believe it I just feel like I'm play-acting. Surely you remember when you were little and you sort of knew that Santa and the Tooth Fairy weren't real? I feel like that about God. It isn't something I can help, it's as much as a gut feeling for me as your faith is for you.

23. profile image0
      AKA Winstonposted 13 years ago

(Dave, I agree ... God Bless you.  And though, I may not believe in God the way you do, but rest assured, I am with you, when it comes to 'fighting' satanic infidels.)

Thanks a heap, Dave.  You have managed to furnish another kook with amunition.  I hope he isn't a pilot.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)