Is Marriage a Right? Or a Privilege?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

As some of you might know, I posted a link to this article, on facebook and redgage, a while back in regards to the Pope's concerns to the increase in divorces for the past few years.  Here's the article if you'd like to know the full details:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110122/ap_ … n_marriage

Anyways, assuming you just read that article now, what are your thoughts on this?  Is the Pope right in his thinking?  Or should he mind his own business better?  What are your thoughts on this?

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He does have a vallid point, and one would think that if this man is to be the spiritual leader of the Catholic church they would feel obligated to heed his councel.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image76
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmm...I would say that Marriage is a Privilege...At least it is in most states...If it wasn't, why would anyone care if Gays get married...If everyone had the "Right" to be Married then anyone could be married...Not just the Male/Female versions...

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say that the Pope is out of touch with the Holy Bible, the book he claims as the church's instructional authority. The Holy Bible is the "Supreme Authoritative text of Christianity and Catholosism, and must be strictly adhered to first and fore-most.

The Bible states that the one and only reason that a divorce can be granted is infidelity. Matt. 5: 31-32.

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

It took me a moment to stop laughing after reading that. Yes, I think he should mind his own business, but I've read much more ridiculous things than that from the vatican.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I read the article and it goes to show that the amount of religious influence and misinformation is continuing to distort what are rights of the individual, just so the "divine" can be justified. It's ridiculous.

I wrote a hub on rights. Rights are unlimited. Rights are tied to choices(actions). Actions are tied to Morals, either good or bad.

Nothing bad can be a right, so that makes Rights good actions. Marriage boils down to a Choice made by two separate individuals.

Therefore, the pope and his skewed motives has no ground to stand on.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...he's only referring to marriage of catholic followers...not all marriages...it's a rite not a right....

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Someway, no disrespect meant, but have you ever found the influence of religion to stop at it's own followers? lol

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

.... lol  lol

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

it's a sentence

6. rkummer profile image59
    rkummerposted 13 years ago

I think we may be asking the wrong question.  It is my belief that marriage should be separate from both the State and Religion institutions as a whole.  Marriage is an individual right and if any governance is used, it should be on a local community-based level, if that.  I wish everyone would fight for the dissolution of marriage through the State and separation of the marriage rites in Religion rather than simply crying out for equality.  It seems like an otherwise futile fight for true and absolute freedom.  Because, to me, individuals govern their lives, thus have a right to choose if and to whom they marry. 

As far as I'm concerned, any State or religious involvement is merely unnecessary interference...Clearly, this is shown through the preferential treatment of heterosexual and still ongoing prohibition of homosexual marriages.

(For the record, I am Libertarian.)

7. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

I do believe the Pope is expressing the lackadaisical attitude people have regarding the sanctity of marriage.

Apparently not enough of an effort is being made towards recognizing the seriousness of a union between a man and a woman.

As I see it relationships should not be like purchasing a new vehicle-try it out for a few days to see how you like it.

The sanctity of marriage is very important since now two families have come together to now create a community.

I would leave by saying "marriage is not for wimps."

8. cobrien profile image60
    cobrienposted 13 years ago

According to Paul's first letter to the Corinthians (chapter 8) marriage is a sinless way to control your sexual nature.
    God also told us to be fruitful and multiply in the bounds of marriage. God gave Eve to Adam as a helper.I just got married last Sat. because I know I will be with my Sweetheart forever and wanted to quit "living in sin".

9. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

I would like to thank everyone that has commented thus far, and to say that I do value your input on the topic.  Seriously, I do.  However, after reading all the comments in this forum, I'm going to have to agree with the consensus that the Pope probably needs to mind his own business when it comes to marriage.  After all, one can just as easily get married in front of a judge too; without any religious restrictions. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand where he's coming from on this, as all marriages are sacred.  But in the end, it's really up to the couple to decide to marry or not.  Not the Pope or any other religious benefactor.  Plus, as far as his concern about couples divorcing goes, again that's their choice..not the churches.  After all, as easy as it is to fall in love with someone, sometimes people fall out of it.  Therefore, even if the Pope does implement his little idea, there's no guarantee that the same couple won't fall out of love later on.  Things happen.  People change.  I think all this really does is make the church look bad in the public's eyes more so than it helps....

10. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

Without reading the linked document

The pope should take up sewing, stay out of religion and yes, mind his own business.

can any good thing come out of a pope?

1. hanging out profile image60
      hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only if he ate swallowed and digested the bible

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can we squeeze one and find out? smile

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I don't think it's a right nor do I think it's a privilege.  Historically, marriage has been seen as an arrangement.  Having said that, he's specifically talking about a church sanctioned wedding and in that scenario it's really more of a privilege that the church grants you.

1. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Flightkeeper,

I agree with you. People can marry whatever way the like any many do but if we're talking about religious marriages which when we involved the Pope that's seems about what we're saying and from that stand point it has been said their are 3 entities involved in marriage-The Husband, The Wife and God.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that is what confuses many people.  Anyone can get married.  There's many who do it at city hall and they are just as valid.  But if you get married in a church, whether that's Catholic, Protestant or Eastern Orthodox, your marriage is basically a privilege granted by that church with the expectation that those rites are meaningful to you and that you adhere to the vows that you take.

12. jay_kumar_07 profile image61
    jay_kumar_07posted 13 years ago

Lead Life with out marriage is good.pl make bond those who are not able to lead .- BIBLE SAYS

13. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Is Marriage a Right? Or a Privilege?

It is a natural desire created in one by the Creator-God for continuity of human life.

14. akela profile image60
    akelaposted 13 years ago

well i guess marriage is a privilege from God, nothing on a earth is a right, everything is a privilege we ought to use wisely, the only right we have is the provision of privileges.

15. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

A privilege? Yes. A right? No. You can only get married if you're a competent informed consenting adult, and can find another one who you want to marry, and who is willing to marry you. If you can fulfill those requirements, then you can get married. If you can't, then you can't.

No other requirements should exist, but we seem to want to put all manner of other requirements (usually based on our own prejudices) on it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)