jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

Why do so many forum theads attempt to talk religion?

1. barryrutherford profile image33
    barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago

was wondering yet again why threads here at hubpages continue to talk or attempt to talk religion or certain aspects of it.  We all should know by now that these threads get heated & people fall out. So why continue the same behaviour ?

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It increases traffic

1. simeonvisser profile image85
        simeonvisserposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Eh? Usually those religious people have tons of posts but less than ten hubs. They're not hub writers, they're forum posters.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

That's why I ignore those threads, the filter makes it that I don't need to see anything I don't want to see. Until they spill over into the other forums.

I guess if people repeat the same things over and over again that they somehow will change people's minds, it's the same in the political forums.

You can download the filter from this page:

http://hubpages.com/profile/Edweirdo

3. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Because one side thinks it is making fools of the other and vice versa.

And of course they are, though each only for a specific audience.

4. simeonvisser profile image85
    simeonvisserposted 6 years ago

If you're up for it, those threads can provide for some nice entertainment.

5. barryrutherford profile image33
    barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago

to me they are becoming very monitinous and boring

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I found some amusing quotes that I put in my hub about venturing into the religious forums.  Sometimes, it's rather entertaining in there

2. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think it's boring too. And it seems that some of these people just choose one book of the Bible, and write a hub on one chapter each day or so, straight from the Book itself. Isn't that plagerism? I've seen some where they barely tried to explain the situation in their own words. I don't think it belongs here.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
        Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Anything that was written before 1921 or maybe 1923 and the copyright has not been renewed is in the public domain. The Bible was written well before that.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
          Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Somebody here ought to write a hub on copyright. That would be a popular one, since most people don't know the laws.

2. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for a fact I didn't know, Barbara Kay!

6. Gemsong profile image80
    Gemsongposted 6 years ago

I may read it occasionally but I've taught myself never to respond. I'll never win and I don't need the flames so I don't waste my time. They are useful if I want to create an extremist fictional character.

7. Midnight Oil profile image88
    Midnight Oilposted 6 years ago

They a constant source of amusement for me...

I didn't realise that most of the planet was that brain washed - and so serious too.  Lighten up people.

Well, I am off to copy 3,000 words out of the Bible, in capitals and no paragraphs too.... wink

8. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Why do so many forum threads attempt to talk religion?

Because it's a topic for discussion. hmm

9. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 6 years ago

I believe there are a number of reasons people engage in religious bantering. One being most people love a mystery and religious faith is perhaps the biggest mystery of all.

Secondly there may be those sitting on the fence with respect to believing or nonbelieving reading the comments presented by the participants just might be what they needed to get off that fence.

It is unfortunate conversations do get heated but if however in the end someone feels they have benefited through these engagements than just maybe it was worth it.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

It's like the guy who got a tattoo of the Leviticus passage that condemns homosexuality. He sort of missed the part in Leviticus that condemns tattooes...

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

he he.  They also observe the tithing but ignore the bits about not eating pork too

working