How can we measure righteousness?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (37 posts)
  1. davidkaluge profile image54
    davidkalugeposted 12 years ago

Righteousness or being right and acceptable in the sight of God is a requisite to heaven. Then since we various diverse religious doctrines, dogmas, laws, and beliefs and virtually all religious sects think they, alone, are on the right path. How then do we measure righteousness? That is must one be among a specific sect and follow their doctrines to be righteous or it does not really matter. Some Atheist even pagans do good things compared to the religious yet they may not be counted righteous, Why?

1. Shaisty-Chase-Tea profile image60
      Shaisty-Chase-Teaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i would assume it can be measured by how much and how easy it is for us to admit to being wrong, and have an inner sense of both peace in becoming more right and a sense of gratitude for the ones who do not claim to own righteousness, but are able to help us find light in what we see is more right than our previous misconceptions, even if we only can agree on a tenth of what we were able to learn from

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Righteousness probably has nothing to do with gods, doctrines dogma or even laws. Righteousness is characterized more with morality, ethics and justice. Since religions send mixed messages of what they believe to be moral, ethical and justified, they can't be relied upon as a credible or valid source for being righteous other than the particular heaven associated with a particular God.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The discussion of morality, ethics and justice can go deep.  The simple question is who decides what is moral, ethical and just and for this argument - righteous?

3. kess profile image59
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The standard of righteousness is pretty simple....
      You set the standard and you keep that standard.

So what you allow for yourself also allow for your neighbors....and it better for you to allow them to exceed the limitations of your standard rather than you exceeding the limitations of your standard.

That way each stand or fall according to that which is in him and that judgement is perfect for it contains not one single flaw.

It has been said as simple as this.
      ...love your neighbor as yourself... And

Judge not lest you be judge ...so just as you judge other so you would be judge yourself... And

Do unto others as you would like be done unto yourself.....

They all are the same and one perfect and only standard of righteousness.

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

....while you tip toe around the cross of christ.
        its not works that prove us to God its

Love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.

4. Cassie Smith profile image60
      Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a good question David, but I think it is a question posed by man, only God decides who will be with Him in heaven.  I think being righteous is really about the individual decision to live his or her life in a way that he or she thinks God  wants them to.  To me, there is no way for humans to measure righteousness because it requires a heavenly standard.

5. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How can we measure righteousness? Easy...Live what you preach!

6. WriteAngled profile image72
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is the most non-righteous and hate-filled statement I have read in a long time.

7. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ultimately, Christians are measured not on our own merits, but on the righteousness of Christ our Savior.

2. davidkaluge profile image54

Tea, I think you mean it can be measured by our desire to do what is right and our ability to easily accept that we are wrong when we do what is wrong. Your assumption sound fair because one should be considered righteous when one works towards doing the right thing. But the big problem is what you consider to be right may be wrong when viewed through a different religion than yours or whatever you belief.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

The whole problem with the question is that it leaves people in the position of judgment of others on a cosmic level. The only fair and compassionate thing to do is assume everyone is right in the eyes of God. Because, in all honesty, you'll never know.

We make laws and have moral codes on this level of existence in order to mold our society into a shape that allows the majority to live in peace and prosperity. Our wants, needs and opinions are blinded by the reality we inhabit at the moment. I wish people would stop attempting to extrapolate spiritual truths from physical experience.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice.

The question assumes that 1)Heaven exists, 2)God judges us on our behavior here on Earth and 3)decides who to punish and who to reward.

I don't believe that Heaven (the way the Abrahamic Religions define it) is the next stop on our journey, so to me the entire question of 'How do I get into Heaven' is kind of silly.

God wants us all to be whatever it is that we are. We want to be happy, comfortable(rich) and appreciated. We all want to feel better than the next guy(powerful) and want the esteem that goes with being regarded the better person. We're just not sure how to make that happen.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you, in that heaven doesn't make sense as a destination. I guess eternal rest and worship made sense at one point in history. We've grown so far away from our beginnings that it is little more than a fairy tale and we've had ample time to realize that isn't really a happy ending.

I'll be frank. I don't understand your last paragraph. Most of those desires are, to me, the things we're supposed to struggle to transcend. The desire for earthly wealth, comfort and recognition turn us away from the spiritual search. I always assumed the nirvana of the afterlife was the state we struggled to attain while still in this life.

What am I missing from your statement?

@Frank (grinning)...

I agree we have been taught to attempt to transend these desires, but that in itself proves we have them. Finding ways to be happy and proud of ourselves without attaining those things is our struggle. Perhaps becoming altruistic instead of nepotistic(spelling?) is a good way to explain that struggle. Our base(animal) instincts are to be nepotistic and take care of our own. Our higher(spiritual) instincts lean towards altruism. hmm

This reasoning is also why in other forum threads I have stated that without religion we would be more animal(nepotistic) and a lot less altruistic(higher purpose).

I hope that makes more sense to you Frank. (still grinning)... big_smile

1. profile image0

lol I smirked at the word when I typed it.

Yes, that makes more sense and I agree.

4. davidkaluge profile image54

Emile, you made a good point because we may never know the truth of how God will judge. However, people use the scripture to claim that it is God inspired truth so they use it to support their claim. Funnily enough, they won't belief anyone that comes up with another scripture or doctrine that is not in line with their own. That is just what happened and the Jews did not belief Jesus. Christains don't belief Muslims and so on.

5. davidkaluge profile image54

Troubled Man, I always tell people that we do not necessary need religion to know the right thing to do or to be righteous but most religious people think differently as they belief one can only be righteous when one follow a specific doctrine example accept Jesus as lord and savior else no other means of being righteous no matter what good one does. Yet we know that religious bases of righteousness is in conflict like you pointed.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Yes, I know. That is exactly one of main reasons why we should never listen to Christians when it comes to understanding what is righteous.

6. davidkaluge profile image54

Yes that is the problem with religious view of righteousness.

7. davidkaluge profile image54

When we talk about morality, ethics, and right-doing we know that it differs among cultures, traditions, and religions. It is because of these differences that some people think they, alone, are righteous especially in the sight of God. That is why most religion think and insist that one can't be considered righteous except one follow they ways/ doctrines which they belief leads to righteousness. Despite the differences, there are things we can all agree to be right for example stealing, killing e.t.c

We don't need a holy book to figure out those things, they are already instilled in us because of evolution.

1. livelonger profile image85
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not all of it.

Evolution favors your own family, then kin (and, maybe, just maybe, your nation). The law of nature is the law of nepotism.

What favors helping out people half a world away, people you will never know or meet?

Our altruistic nature, of course.

"Nature is the law of nepotism"? Since when?

Nature does not favor altruism. It favors nepotism.

I agree, even though I had to look up the big words...

...again roll

8. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

Is there even such a thing as righteousness?

9. davidkaluge profile image54

Let us look at it from this other way as I know not everyone beliefs in heaven however we can't deny that religion or belief influences what people think is right or wrong. For instance polygamy is acceptable in some places while others think it is wrong. The same applies to drinking of alcohols and other actions which people have various objections so it is not necessarily because of heaven though we can't deny that religion, culture, tradition, and belief has an imppact.

10. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

Righteousness...

and when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he said unto him, friend how came you in here not having a wedding garment? and he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants. Bind him hand and foot, and take him away.

No one can wear just any old thing; which represents that no one can join in on what God is doing by doing their own thing.

Righteousness means in right standing with God. God approved. And what is approving to God? Jesus Christ.
    It doesn't matter how many good works any one does. No one can approve themselves to God. No one can force their way into eternal life unless they are approved of by God.

The cross of Christ. His resurrection. His words and His spirit. An active belief in the historical Jesus of the bible that he was crucified for the atonement of sins. When we put on Christ, God approves.

No other way. none

1. profile image0

Thank goodness that's a load of crocks.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

lol Once again, Christians redefine words to suit their self-centered, superiority laden beliefs.

Yes bro, continue to be righteous, do not good works and be that superior person we know you can be. lol

1. autumn18 profile image58
        autumn18posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is what gets me. It doesn't matter how many if any good works one does? It's ok, I'll be unrighteous in a Christian's eyes and be a decent human being.

That's what got to me, too. In fairness, there are plenty of Christians who do believe good deeds matter, but they tend to not believe that faith is all that matters.

Those Christians who believe that faith is all that matters generally don't have a personal history of good deeds to fall back on.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

Got Proof?

Because God tells me different.

11. whoisbid profile image62
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Righteousness is word that is used in bibles translated from the Greek. If you read the Novum Testamentum which is a translation from the Latin Vulgate you will see it is translated "Justice"

12. davidkaluge profile image54

Righteousness can be viewed from different points like I said.

13. davidkaluge profile image54

WhiteAngled, what comment did you say is a hate speech and why?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)