jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)

What Color is Jesus?

1. AEvans profile image78
    AEvansposted 9 years ago

What is the color of Jesus ?

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My friends are yellow,brown and white,
      What difference does it make to the Light?

AEvansposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine too, however so many think he is white, where did that come from? If you look at all of the pictures he is painted, drawn, identified as white.

2. mohitmisra profile image61

One story goes that he was dark and could have been from south India.Like Paramhansa Yoganada went to the west in order to teach spirituality so did Jesus smile

2. webismine profile image61
      webismineposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice question. Is it mentioned anywhere?

It says his skin was of bronze and his hair was of wool however many churches believe he is
        white, where did that come from? Apparently he must have gone to a tanning booth like many of us do.big_smile I certainly realize he wasn't white. smile

2. profile image0
    Writer Riderposted 9 years ago

Pink with yellow polka dots hahaha. Kidding.

1. BDazzler profile image80
      BDazzlerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it was yellow with Pink polka dots ... wink ...

On earth, he was a Middle Eastern Jew, so, yeah, look around at the Mediteranian population.

If you want to know what he looks like after the assention, check out Rev 1.  Sandra's right about the bronze (at least his feet).  The hair was white,  ... interesting theory that it was bleached. big_smile

mmmmm.... bleached? Funny how was that created? smile

1. BDazzler profile image80
          BDazzlerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm guessing that the Shikana Glory has that effect, but I'm not really sure wink

Uh Oh big_smile

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 9 years ago

He was Jewish so would assume he was the color of Jews or middle eastern peoples.

I agree with you on that but why do so many percieve him as white? Have they not taken the time to read the bible more?

1. aka-dj profile image76
        aka-djposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess we all want to identify with Him.
        After all, He identified with us.
        He certainly was not a "white man" as we would have today.

2. Junkster profile image54
        Junksterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's basically something that must have been done many years ago to "westernize" Jesus, probably to fit in with the catholic church being based out of the Vatican, a western europe location.

I do think that had he actually existed/lived in that area that he would more likely be of a middle eastern appearance, although I'm no Catholic myself I'd guess that it doesn't really matter to many christians what he looked like, due to not many renaissance portrait painters or digital cameras being around back then tongue

Or at least I'd hope it wouldn't matter what he looked like.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 9 years ago

Man Created in God's Image
    Christ created in the beholder's image.
    And he is always good looking.

5. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 9 years ago

http://claudia.weblog.com.pt/arquivo/Jesus%20In%20India.jpg
    http://www.lillyofthevalleyva.com/BlackJesusMontage(c)BarzoniARTCOM10055775.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/ChineseJesus.jpg
    http://chromatism.net/current/images/jesushippie.jpg

You pick. smile

6. AEvans profile image78
    AEvansposted 9 years ago

Now this is pretty cool and that was the answer he is of many shades.smile

1. weblog profile image56
      weblogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly, Hindu God Krishna is said to be of the same smile

7. TravelMonkey profile image58
    TravelMonkeyposted 9 years ago

great pictures, I wonder if will ever know; not that it really matters.

8. kerryg profile image88
    kerrygposted 9 years ago

As Gamergirl points out, most cultures have adapted His appearance to fit their own, just like medieval depictions of the Trojan War showed Achilles and Odysseus and Agamemnon in the armor of a medieval knight. It just goes to show how much legendary figures of this sort transcend race or time.

The actual historical Jesus, I assume, was Semitic or Middle Eastern in appearance.

9. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 9 years ago

He was a Jew. Just look around for any Jew and you will have an idea of His skin colour then. Right now He is colourless.

1. Jeromeo profile image60
      Jeromeoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Same thing this comment said

Yes he was a Jew I am just trying to understand I guess why so many of us make him out to be all of the colors of the rainbow he is not when it comes to paintings, pictures etc. But then again Jesus has made the color of the rainbow so I guess he does come in many colors and that is how we percieve him to be. smile

2. profile image42
      amenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

actually, that won't quite work... the people who we know today as the 'jews' are actually ashkenazi jews!  they are southern russians who converted to judaism.  their heritage cannot be traced to the hebrews of the bible.  they are completely different people!
      -amen

10. Ray Saunders profile image53
    Ray Saundersposted 9 years ago

Eh...does it really matter?

11. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 9 years ago

probably white with a dark bronze tan and bleached out hair.  hahah.  If not then he is a mix of all the different colors so he probably was middle eastern.  Probably blue eyes and black hair. Pretty!  smile

12. C.S.Alexis profile image94
    C.S.Alexisposted 9 years ago

Does it really matter? If it makes a difference to you I say , " Jesus is your favorite color" not that my opinion counts! C.S.

13. Make  Money profile image81
    Make Moneyposted 9 years ago

No Mo Jesus was conceived in Nazareth, up by the sea of Galilee but born in Bethlehem not far from Jerusalem.

You might find it interesting that one of the oldest paintings of Jesus and Mary in Poland depicts them as being black.

http://www.ilianrachov.com/ikons/images/the%20black%20madonna%20chestochova.privat%20collection.hamburg.germany.jpg

Thanks Mike ,its a story. smile

It doesnt make any difference as to what colour Jesus was. smile

14. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 9 years ago

I was watching on the discovery or history channel and they said that there was only one picture of Jesus ever painted during his time by a women who was around when he went to go raise Lazareth and that picture painted of his was of him having pure white skin and curly-ish blonde-red hair and a beard and blue eyes. 

The bleached hair theory...sun bleached. lol.  No one ever talked about him wearing a turbin.  But bronze feet would make sense,  if he was wearing one of those toga things so only his feet and his face were showing. smile  He probably  had a really uneven tan. 

Dark (black) face, bronze feet, bleached hair.  Oh and if his hair was bleached out from the sun and it gave him a strawberry blonde apperance (his hair of course) then it would probably mean that he originally had brown hair, but 40 days and nights in the desert is bound to change your appearance.  smile

1. profile image42
      amenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

television is your source???  please learn that the vast majority of mass media is controlled by the same handful of individuals...

but, as long as we keep dialoguing and learning, then we are okay...

perhaps we should re-evaluate our expertise on the historicity of the bible... how many of us are aware that jesus' name, in his language, is actually yeshua and that ancient hebrew does not even have a 'ja' sound?  he was not know as jesus until hundred's of years later, this name being in the tongue of his enemies (the greco-romans)!!  is it not an insult to call him by this false name???

how much do we know about the gnostics and early christianity which predates jesus' life by hundreds of years!?!  how many of us realize that christ is simply a title meaning 'annointed  one'?  how much do we know about the christs before jesus?

maybe we ought to turn off our televisions, put down our bibles, and do some REAL research...

-amen

15. dingdong profile image60
    dingdongposted 9 years ago

Looks like trying to find the color of 'Hollow Man' wink

16. lionswhelp profile image82
    lionswhelpposted 9 years ago

Jesus today would shine brighter then the sun in all his glory. He will have a bright golden look. We will need to be like him to see him in full glory, Matthew 24:30, Revelation 19:11-17. Habakkuk 3:3-4, 2 Thessalonians 2:8, Revelation 21:23-24, 1 John 3:2-3 - We shall see Him as He is for we shall be like Him!

Lionswhelp

17. Lady Guinevere profile image59
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

I found a site that hs different versions of what he looked like and it is interesting to read:
    http://www.thenazareneway.com/likeness_ … aviour.htm

working