jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (44 posts)

Why does what I believe matter?

1. profile image55
    mrcheeseposted 5 years ago

Why?

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Because you make it?

1. profile image55
        mrcheeseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Eh?

1. pennyofheaven profile image77
          pennyofheavenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do your beliefs matter to you?

1. profile image55

Never thought of it.

So who do you think your beliefs matter to?

1. profile image55

Nobody but those that would argue their point. Which we all do, based on our restrictive natures.

Does not necessarily mean your beliefs matter to them? It is more than likely it conflicts with their own beliefs. So it is their own beliefs that matter and gives rise to points of interests that might be worth debating or not.

2. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It depends on what actions you do to support said belief and whether or not that believe is irrational or rational, which will be the underlying cause for you to form the belief to start off.

When you put actions to said belief is when it might become dangerous for other people and for yourself.

If you belief is too irrational, then you could go to the extreme and claim LOVE and PEACE are your goal, but when the belief is reviewed/evaluated and found to be not about LOVE or PEACE then it must be dealt with.

And if you're unable to recognize your actions are not made of Love and Peace, and continue acting, then it's even a bigger problem.

1. profile image55

I understand that but. Why does it matter to someone else?

1. Cagsil profile image60

It matters to those who are honest with themselves because they can see the actions of someone else and see the amount damage they can cause if let unchecked.

2. profile image0
          jomineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Because when you act on your beliefs, it affect other people.

1. profile image55

Exactly!

2. pennyofheaven profile image77

Affect other people in what way?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
              Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Such as not allowing people to get married...

Laws might be able to do that but can another persons belief prevent someone from marrying?

2. profile image0

Uninvited writer gave you one example. I'll give you one extreme one to make my point. If you believe that the prime minister is conspiring against you and then in defence you might try to kill the prime minister!
              (This had Actually happened - the McNaughten's case)

Yes good example. The prime minister would certainly be affected and it would matter to anyone if they new about it. How to effect a change in that kind of belief is another thing.

1. profile image0

Indeed. The problem is a Good number of beliefs that affect other people adversely are 'invincible ignorances', that we can do nothing about.

Yes

3. Chris Neal profile image77
      Chris Nealposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Because it determines both how you act in this world and also where you will be going after your soul leaves this world.

Two very important things.

1. Disappearinghead profile image77
        Disappearingheadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is what I believe is fundamentally wrong with Christianity for the last 1600-ish years. It simply isn't logical that ones eternal future depends upon what one believes. 10,000 Church denominations is the result of this thinking and they cannot all be right.

Belief is entirely dependant upon one's subjective view of what is presented to them and the credibility of the argument and person presenting the "you must believe" argument. God simply cannot condemn a person because an ignorant bigoted Christian failed to provide a sufficiently brilliant argument that confounds the objective reasoning held by the unbeliever.

Then we have the get of of jail free card that the unbeliever can present to God if he was born prior to 2000 years ago, born into some obscure indigenous tribe somewhere, was mentally incapable of grasping the Christian doctrines,or was born into the Islamic world where he was never exposed to Christianity.

The only rational basis for judgement is against the actions one has done in life.

Besides which, Jesus has paid the sacrifice and being the lamb that takes away the sin of the world, he did it, "It is finished", nothing else for him or us to do. He saved all of humanity, not just those who think they are superior because they said a sinner's prayer once.

And yet some still believe we are still born with sin. So it contradicts why Jesus was supposed to have died.

1. Disappearinghead profile image77
            Disappearingheadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Indeed it does.

1. Chris Neal profile image77

In what way?

2. Chris Neal profile image77

Yes, it is finished, but what you do with what He did is of paramount importance. Many of His parables deal quite decisively with people who didn't make Him lord of their lives, and here's a hint: they don't get to Heaven after they die.

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
            Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So now we don't have to burn dead animals anymore.  Big deal, we still do this to food.  At least my wife does.  lol 

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6812619.jpg

Well, I'm sorry your wife does that, unless you like it that way! (I knew a guy once who preferred his steak absolutely hockey-pucked...)

The point is that the reason we don't have to sacrifice the animals is because God took care of our sins once and for all. We simply have to accept it.

Hey Chris, just to let you know....you'll be waiting a long time for any response from Randy, considering he just published a hub about leaving the forums, due to the present 3 month ban he is serving. So, you responding to his post is completely meaningless because he is unable to respond, and only read. If you prefer to continue this discussion I'm sure Randy can be reached via his profile page.

But, the forums will no longer see Randy in them.

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/Goo … ges-Forums

Thanks for the heads-up!

Wow......

You're welcome. smile

4. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It actually doesn't matter. However to the degree that your belief threatens the belief of another (maybe it makes more sense), to that degree someone will have a vested interest in changing your  mind about what you believe...

5. profile image0
      SirDentposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It matters because you base your life on what you believe.  Your life is at stake along with others you may have influence over.

2. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 5 years ago

It shouldn't matter in America what you believe. Just like everyone else who has a right to believe as they choose so do you. Speculation, conjecture of what your faith might be or do has no place in your right/Freedom to believe as you choose. People in America worship witches, devil worshipers and whatever so how is it that these people can worship the way they do but we have to be concerned with how you worship?

The law gives you the right to worship as you please which means you are not bound by the stereotypes of others.

Good on America.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image79
    Eaglekiwiposted 5 years ago

My beliefs encourage me show mercy and love all people. I dont always succeed ,but for me it is a good focus.smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was brought up to expect from Christians smile

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

Eaglekiwi and Univited Writer, the two of you need to stop being friendly to one another.  According to every rule ever laid down in the history of mankind, fraternization is NEVER allowed between Christians and Atheists.

wink

Hello to you both, btw.  EK, haven't seen you around in quite a while.  All is well, I hope?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image79
      Eaglekiwiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ooops didnt see the 'no fraternizing' sign..lol

All is well with me Mo, just a change in direction for a little while-all good smile

5. jadesmg profile image90
    jadesmgposted 5 years ago

I dont think what you believe should matter to anyone but you. What matters it what you o on the basis of your beliefs, but that can actually effect others, your beliefs alone cannot.

6. sarahkey478 profile image60
    sarahkey478posted 5 years ago

I agree that when it comes to acting on our beliefs, this is where they truly matter as these actions affect others.
    But could it be said that by an individual holding certain beliefs, these indirectly affect how an individual behaves in the world - which in turn affects others?
    If this is the case, then it is not just acting on our beliefs which affects others and therefore matters.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I believe that many beliefs divide us, and that the only way to ensure peace is if all beliefs become one.

7. fresh2def05 profile image86
    fresh2def05posted 5 years ago

Your beliefs are what make you. Your beliefs are the thoughts that father your ambitions and goals. Without believing in yourself and your abilities, you will never succeed. Truth.

working