What sport deserves more air time on ESPN?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (40 posts)
  1. caderade2 profile image57
    caderade2posted 14 years ago

There are a lot of sports now but not all of them have time slots in ESPN.  Of course Basketball and Football need their airtime, but I think some sports should have less airtime (like baseball and soccer) and some should have more airtime (like beach volleyball).  What do you all think?  Which sports should have more air time ans which should have less?

1. profile image53
      Yanksownthesoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey man I understand definietly where you are comming from my name is Christopher Barbieri and I love espn, and feel like it is and may be too opionionated towards a few particular ones but I also feel like baseball football and basketball are where the ratings are and will always be.  What do you think.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was watching water polo for the first time on msnbc it pretty
      riveting.

I love beach volleyball! That would be great.

2. profile image0
    shreekrishnaposted 14 years ago

cricket or football.

3. whitney_185 profile image74
    whitney_185posted 14 years ago

Although volleyball is my sport, and I would love to see more of it on TV, I think it's a matter of game speed. Football, baseball, and basketball (kind of) are all rather slow, but still eventful. Where as in volleyball it's still a bit slow, but no one gets excited from a great tip, and each team only moves on their own side as opposed to running all over the place. I think sports that have the best chance of getting more air time have pauses in between, then the reporters have time to analyze everything, and big plays or hits are frequent. Beach volleyball is fun, but I feel like attention goes in the wrong direction when it comes to women playing.

4. The Phil profile image61
    The Philposted 14 years ago

Squaredancing - definitely more

5. Enigmatic Me profile image78
    Enigmatic Meposted 14 years ago

There are two ways to look at this question.

One) ESPN needs more viewers, what sports need to be shown for this?

Two) As a sports promoter what league is missing the boat by not being represented on ESPN?

I think ESPN is doing fine as a sports network. So I will answer it based on my belief that as a fan of the NHL, I believe we're missing the boat by not having a contract with ESPN.

I'm an Eastern Canadian who gets to see 90 percent of the games I wish to see through my local cable and non-cable stations. I have no worries about it. But, if there is one thing that could help bring Hockey to the mainstream it would be a place in proper sport network stations.

VS is a joke. Sorry for it, but it is. NBC attempts a Sunday afternoon game (after the NFL season is over) and some playoff games. If NHL was concerned about the growth of the product they would be looking for a group who are geared for sports, be accepting of the fact that sometimes games go into Overtime (unlike VS who has shut games down due to "having already filled contractual obligations with a 3 hr slot").

The NHL needs a partner in the US to maintain those fans who have been with the league for years, but also so that new fans can be generated. Visibility is the issue.

But please, no more highlighted pucks... its an embarrassment to the sport and the Canadian fans (despite population, it is my belief that more Canadians watch this sport).

6. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Dancing competitions big_smile yeah...and boxing big_smile

1. jayb23 profile image71
      jayb23posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Start watching Sony for dancing competitions...espn is a sports channel for God Sake

7. C.Ferreira profile image68
    C.Ferreiraposted 14 years ago

Soccer (other than the MLS) needs more airtime. It is the world's greatest and most popular sport. The US sucks with soccer...perhaps if ESPN showed more international games, the sport would start to grow on people and we will join the fantastic world of soccer.

Have you ever seen how together a soccer stadium is during an international game!?

8. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

skydiving acrobatics
    cricket
    sport dancing
    paralympic events
    archery

9. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Christian baiting.

A popular spectator sport where I come from big_smile

1. C.Ferreira profile image68
      C.Ferreiraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mark, I agree with just about everything you say in the religion forum, but leave it out of the others! By saying something like this, you are just antagonizing people and that's not what we want!

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry.

2. nicomp profile image60
        nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen

10. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Midget Throwing - The finest sport ever!

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Watch out - that is no longer considered a politically correct  sport. Now it is "Persons of Restricted Growth Tossing." big_smile

11. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Rugby and Wrestling

Although if youd like to know about Wrestling check out my latest Hub. Cheers.

1. BristolBoy profile image64
      BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is a good point.  I spoke to a friend who said that he can very rarely watch rugby matches in the US despite the fact that it is one of the fastest growing sports.  Think this is mainly because it is cheaper to organise than American football because it is a similar sport but with no padding/helmets.  Also football is something I have heard is very hard to watch other than MLS.

2. whitney_185 profile image74
      whitney_185posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! Especially rugby, it is very fun to watch and there are hardly any breaks in the action which makes it more exciting. Good ideas!

12. profile image0
    jacobt2posted 14 years ago

The Minnesota Twins!!

1. nicomp profile image60
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hence the avatar smile

13. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Sumo

14. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

Rugby more airtime - Yes
    Beach Volleyball - Yes & NO, keep it on public TV channels.
    Pro Tennis -
    UFC

Take some crap off like Bowling, Spelling Bees and WTF thinks a dam card game is an athletic sport.
    Poker is NOT a Frickin' sport. If you put that on there put Chess, Checkers, Uno, Darts, Dog shows, etc on there. Just dumb if you ask me (and I did hear someone ask me)

15. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

NHL hockey, AHL hockey, Division I hockey, Division III hockey, Travel hockey and High School hockey...Did I mention hockey?

16. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

Rugby Sevens - (and Rugby of course) - sevens is an amazing spectacle to watch and it's sure to be a big hit in the US if they'd air it more!

Interesting that I'm actually seeing a lot of Rugby League, Aussie Rules etc but not much Rugby Union in New Jersey!

1. Dangazzm profile image74
      Dangazzmposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Rugby is just one of the best sports ever if it would just become popular! I asked myself this question a lot...

I wish they would do college wrestling, one of the most competitive/hardcore sports in the world.

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen brother!

17. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

It all comes down to money.  ESPN has to cater to the masses.  If midget pro wresting suddenly becomes the talk of all sports and ESPN does a test-run on it where on a Sunday night, it gets a Nielsen rating of let's say 7, you better believe that it's going to be shown more and more.

As long as there is a market for any sport, there will be exposure.

18. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

LA Lakers

19. Cowboy Coasters profile image59
    Cowboy Coastersposted 13 years ago

Beach Volleyball!

20. europewalker profile image79
    europewalkerposted 13 years ago

Tennis. I never get tired of watching Roger Federer.

21. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Here's my vote..
    http://www.canadasflagking.com/cfk_shop/images/Toronto%20Maple%20Leafs%20-%20Champions%20Banner%203x5.jpg

22. Racing Saturday profile image63
    Racing Saturdayposted 13 years ago

The Sport of Kings; Horse Racing.

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The sport of 'King's is hockey...  smile
      http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/193334wwgicekings/13%20Clancy1.jpg

23. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Soccer

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

great idea!

right after hockey season is over!

1. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

frozen four final should be on espn Saturday...cannot wait

2. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Soccer"

Because ESPN is so tired of having viewers, actually selling advertising time and making money?

24. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Well timezone difference can make it possible to broadcast both games, one will be surely missed anyway lol..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)