Authors and Writers Must be aware

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (60 posts)
  1. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11886429_f520.jpg
    Hello Authors and Writers, I just learned my hard work of publishing my book  received purchases from friends and family only I didn't received the proceeds from the sale a Third Party name bestdictionaries on Amazon, is taking Authors hard work and selling it as their work without the Author's permission and getting away with it.  I conttacted my publisher and they said I needed to contact Amazon, which I did to no avail.  I looked up this company and they have various books for sale and are making profits, Writers and Authors please be aware.  Does anyone know what I can do about this copyright violation who can I go to thanks?

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Third party sellers are perfectly legal.  they sell the book at a mark up.  If they get an order, they buy a copy of the book from the publisher and on sell it.

So unless you can somehow prove they are selling pirated copies, you do nothing.  So long as they are selling your book at or above cover price, this practice is not even unusual.

3. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

This is tragedy

4. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

So third part can make money off authors hard work and the author makes o dollars what's the use of copy rights. No use if I didn't enjoy writing this would be a reason to no longer write alone makes absorb

5. Sam Montana profile image79
    Sam Montanaposted 9 years ago

I don't understand this. If I take one of Stephen King's books and sell it above the cover price, and Stephen King doesn't get a penny, that is legal? Obviously, there is something about this I am missing.

6. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

It's my work and if I sit back and wait 4 someone 2 write and I jump on it and sell their writings that's a thief I. My eyes and some one that can't make their own writing sale. You don't get it? Possibly your not a self writer and do the same make mo eu off others hard work!

7. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

Make your money off others hard writing and work is a thrift thrift theif

8. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

Make your money off others hard writing and work is a thrift thrift theif

9. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

U think u should profit off work u didn't do I don't get that

10. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

What's missing is u can't write your own work obviously

11. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

Obviously you can't write u have 2 pounce on real writers work

12. BlueObsidian profile image66
    BlueObsidianposted 9 years ago

Seriously?  Third party sellers on Amazon are not pirating books, they are reselling copies.  The author made a profit on the original sale.  Are you people who are opposed to this honestly saying that you NEVER get rid of a book once you buy it?  You never donate or sell anything you already purchased?  If you take a Stephen King book and sell it above the cover price, how do you think you got that copy?

1. Sam Montana profile image79
      Sam Montanaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So it is like a used book market. If I sell a book I wrote on Amazon for $10, I get the $10 and then the person that bought it for the original $10 can sell it for whatever they want. I guess the legality would come in if they are making 100 copies of my book and selling 100 books. I don't believe that should be legal.

1. lyns profile image70
        lynsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The person never bought my book, the just sold it so get it right. and that's illegal

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They did buy it at some point, then resold it.  So you were paid, and it is legal.  Unless you are saying you have never sold a single copy of a book that they could have resold and you seriously think they... I don't even know where they would get your paperback book without buying it. Nor am I sure how you know they have sold one.

In any case they are clearly resellers.  It's routine and not actionable.

13. BlueObsidian profile image66

Plus, do you really want to present yourself as a writer and use "u" instead of "you" in a public forum?

1. lyns profile image70

Are you a writer No because you don't know how's much work go into your work and how writers keep track of every sale

14. BlueObsidian profile image66

That isn't legal, it's copyright infringement.  You can't make your own copies, but there is no reason you can't resell a copy you already own.

1. lyns profile image70

The Third party, never purchased my book from myself they just copied and sold it on amazon, my publisher can back this up, this is legal come one you people need to get it right. Why do hubpages make it a strict guide line to not copy other writers work and make money, although it's Legal as you all state it is, right???

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you wrote your post in proper English so we could understand it, you would get more sympathy.  As it is, we are struggling to understand what you mean and also struggling to understand how you managed to write a book in English in the first place, since you seem to have such a problem with expression.

Please slow down and write a post in decent English, explaining exactly what has happened.

15. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

Just because it's legal does that make it right ? ?

16. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

So I should be able to make money off your hub pages as a third party then I need to go shopping on your hub let get started

17. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

I'm on hp and if u can only attack by my short cuts U R A wanna. B writer I clearly know  the difference do you?

18. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

Maybe I should visit your hp writings and sale them on HP and Amazon as a third party. It is Legal

19. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

Whu

20. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

I'm going third party shopping soon. It is Legal

21. Shorebirdie profile image73
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

No, it's not legal to copy your book and sell it without paying you for the copy.  However, it is legal for someone to buy your book, or get one as a gift, and sell it for whatever they want.  They just can't make copies without paying you.

I don't know what to do other than talk to a lawyer?

p.s.  I just looked at their page and I don't think they're selling illegal copies of anyone's books.  They are either an affiliate listing your book or an authorized distributor.  I am betting that you would get your share if they sold a copy of your book.  I would still ask Amazon about this.

1. lyns profile image70

Thank you Shorebuirdie, appreciate your comment.
      lyns

22. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

You don't know what your mouth is talking about "they" Didn't pay"0" for my book I know better than you and your running motion Mouth. I am the Author not you and you running mouth

23. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

Your lips need to stop running and your fingers and brain needs to start working

24. lyns profile image70
    lynsposted 9 years ago

Stop running your mouth about what U obviously don't know we're you apart of the transaction purchase?

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

lyns.....Step back from your keyboard and take a break.  Go for a walk and calm down.  You asked a question here.  Presumably you wanted advice/help.   Hubbers have responded in kind with some sensible replies.  In turn, you attack them and go off on a rant.  There's a word or two for this sort of behavior: ridiculous & unacceptable.  My suggestion is you figure this out for yourself and Good Luck.
      It's clear that you did not write any book in English.  Obviously you wrote in your mother tongue, whatever it is?
      Personally, I can't imagine anyone stealing and/or copying a book you attempted to write in English, unless they needed kindling for their fireplace.
      Perhaps you should take this up with your countrymen & women and not with Americans.
      Wishing you the best....:

2. psycheskinner profile image84

Calm down and think. Of course they bought the book. That is why they had a copy of your paperback available to sell.

And actually several of us are published authors. I write content under a different name but am the author of five published romance novels.  All of which have resellers listed on Amazon and are widely available second hand.

25. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

Okay, we get you're frustrated, that much is obvious.  Psycheskinner is trying to help you, there's no need to hurl insults at her--claiming to be such a superior writer, try having some decorum.

26. BlueObsidian profile image66

So you've never bought anything second hand?  You've never been to a thrift shop or a yard sale?  And you keep EVERY ITEM you've ever purchased or been given? You never donate or sell anything you're done with?  That is all that the third party sellers on Amazon are.  If they didn't pay for copies of your book to sell, exactly how do you think they got them?

I can't imagine a life without libraries and used book stores, but I suppose you object to those as well.

27. Nicole Pellegrini profile image60
    Nicole Pellegriniposted 9 years ago

lyns, I have no idea what your problem is or why you went to one of my hubs to leave several nonsensical comments last night accusing me of being a thief and a moron. I've had nothing to do with this discussion here, never seen your work before, and certainly didn't steal anything from you.

I would suggest you calm down and take the matter where appropriate, as appropriate, before you start throwing random accusations and insults around.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You need to quit posting on these forums under two different account names.  That is not allowed on HubPages.

1. Nicole Pellegrini profile image60
        Nicole Pellegriniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My understanding was it was against the rules within a single forum thread. In this case the individual in question specifically attacked me under this account. But, suffice to say I won't do it again.

You can mention the name of another account, but you cannot post under two account names, whether on the same thread or not. When you post, your posting user name is a clickable link and you can only use one.

2. chasmac profile image90
          chasmacposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That was my understanding, too. So I checked and here's the relevant info from the FAQ - "What are we not allowed to do on the forums?". And here's the answer:

Multiple Accounts: "While we don't prohibit having more than one HubPages account, we ask that you stick to a single persona in the forums. The deceptive use of multiple accounts, especially in a single thread is prohibited. The use of secondary accounts to circumvent a forum ban is also prohibited".

The wording suggests that it's more of a request than a rule unless you're up to no good and making 'deceptive' use of multiple accounts - then it's a rule. As there was nothing at all deceptive about your post, you haven't broken any rules, and I agree that it was appropriate to post under the same account that received the attack.

PS - I originally posted this in the main thread rather than this sub-thread - now moved. Sorry for any confusion

"We ask that you stick to a single persona in the forums."

This is the status quo in the forum and many new people from Squidoo don't know this yet.  People who continue to post under more than one account get reported.

1. jodijoyous profile image59
              jodijoyousposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sockii/Nicole was not trying to deceive anyone. She has two accounts because of rules HubPages set up when transferring work from Squidoo. I believe it's even the same photo.

Your comment is completely uncalled for.

This comment is from HP management:
                "We ask that you stick to a single persona in the forums."

And, no, it was not  "uncalled for."

Quite. It is the rule, so mentioning that is not an insult, it is called being helpful.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                  Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You'll note that's not a rule, that's a recommendation.  "We ask", not "you must".  The only actual prohibition is on "the deceptive use of multiple accounts".

I have only one account but over the years I've seen many people use different accounts on different sections of the forum without ever being banned for it. 

I remember the rule being introduced and there was ONE reason for doing so:  to stop people creating fake conflict by arguing with their sock puppets on the forums. That's the only thing HubPages is worried about.

2. Nicole Pellegrini profile image60
              Nicole Pellegriniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So do you make sure to report as well the old time Big Name hubbers who do the same thing? When commenting in the forum on a topic specific to a secondary account and not wanting to cause unnecessary confusion? (See, for instance: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124576#post2633502)

Just curious.

This was Relache's answer three weeks ago when someone else tried to accuse her of the same thing on the forum when she posted on the Technical Assistance thread for new accounts from Squidoo:

"I posted just a couple times when I was having tech issues with my imported account and very clearly said who I was and why I was posting as a second persona.

"I really liked how you picked out certain details about my situation in order to get a point across you'd like others to believe."

3. Shorebirdie profile image73
          Shorebirdieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I asked this a long time ago and someone official at HubPages (I don't remember who as it was a long time ago) said it was OK as long as you don't use two personas in the same thread.  This is mostly to prevent people from having discussions with themselves to make it look like two people "agreeing" with each other or appearing to gang up on someone.  I have two personas, but mostly use this one in forums, but I have used the other one sometimes.  Both have the same avatar.

2. lyns profile image70

I don't know why this got posted to your hub as well, internet error...

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
      LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I woke up to the same harassing comments in one of my hubs.  I haven't done anything with them yet other than Report it to HP.  Once HP has seen them, I will deny them.

28. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

P.S. - If someone is posting spam comments on your Hubs, report the post as spam and report the user from the link on the user's Profile.

1. lyns profile image70

Writerfox this was done in error don't know myself how it was posted on that area

29. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

third-party sellers, who are independent sellers who offer a variety of new, used, refurbished, and collectible merchandise on Amazon.com

lyns: What I don't understand is your attitude towards those who answered you, including you telling them they are wrong.  If this is such an issue with you, I am curious as to why such a huge, published author you claim to be, why you aren't contacting your lawyer about this issue of yours.   Oh by the way, having friends and family order is against Amazon rules!!!

http://www.mbbp.com/resources/iptech/pu … legal.html

30. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Multiple Accounts: While we don't prohibit having more than one HubPages account, we ask that you stick to a single persona in the forums. The deceptive use of multiple accounts, especially in a single thread is prohibited. The use of secondary accounts to circumvent a forum ban is also prohibited.
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#forums-violations

Be honest about your identity. While we don't prohibit having more than one HubPages account, we ask that you stick to a single persona in the Forums. The deceptive use of multiple accounts, especially in a single thread, is prohibited. The use of secondary accounts to circumvent a Forum ban is also prohibited. This type of behavior is also known as sockpuppeting.   http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

1. profile image0
      robertzimmerman2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Various Hubbers keep referring to this section in the TOS but seem to ignore the lack of deception on sockii's part. I've known her a long time and have never seen her to be deceptive.

The inability of some Hubbers to stay on a post topic is simply pushing new Hubbers away from the forum which means they will make more mistakes and take longer to come up to par.

I, for one, am finding less and less value on HP forums lately.

1. chasmac profile image90
        chasmacposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was the first to refer to it and clearly stated there was no deceptive intent on Nicole's part. Perhaps the others felt there was no need to repeat it.

31. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Nicole and Shorebirdie mean nothing to me.  But Socki and Desert Darlene are writers I am familiar with.

32. Lynne-Modranski profile image80
    Lynne-Modranskiposted 9 years ago

they've been doing that with my CD's for YEARS.  I can't imagine anyone would ever buy them at the prices they are selling them for.  Sometimes 4x more than I sell them at CDbaby or Amazon.  And truth is, I don't think all of them actually HAVE the CD because they say it's new in cellophane.  I think they are trying to sell it, then if they do, they'll order it from CDbaby.  But I doubt these third party sellers that inflate the prices are really selling anything.

Yes, this is very much what happens.  I find it irritating but not much can be done about it other than making your direct sales avenues as accessible as possible.

33. Kylyssa profile image89
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

Is this all possibly a misunderstanding caused by a poor translation?  Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask another native English speaker to read through the listings you find upsetting?   

People buy books, they read them, and then they sell them so they can make room for more books. 

If you've sold copies of the book, the people who bought them then own those copies of the books they bought.  They can read their books, give them as gifts, prop up their wobbly table legs with them, or even, yes, sell them.  They cannot copy them and sell the copies. 

The bookseller hasn't copied your books.  That would cost more per copy than it does to buy your book and resell it!

It's a very common practice to sell used items online and it's perfectly legal and ethical.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)