jump to last post 1-26 of 26 discussions (26 posts)

In your opinion: what is the leading issue that we face in today's world?

1. Alexander Pease profile image59
    Alexander Peaseposted 6 years ago

In your opinion: what is the leading issue that we face in today's world?

2. brages07 profile image61
    brages07posted 6 years ago

The issue of economic inequality.  It effects everyone and informs most other issues, particularly foreign policy, education the environment and healthcare.

3. Neil Sperling profile image81
    Neil Sperlingposted 6 years ago

The main issue we face today is personal accountability. We mistakenly look to leaders in both politics or big business to make the positive changes....

hogwash!!! The change begins inside ourselves. If I may quote one of my hub middle class to zero

"We need to stop making such a huge deal about manufacturing "things" and we have to start making a big deal about building character. Build a new man from the inside out. No longer running from who we are inside."

4. CrazyGata profile image75
    CrazyGataposted 6 years ago

I have a friend who is a great political cartoonist.  I've been meaning to ask him to make a drawing of the world feeding on itself.

If we draw an imaginary line across the different countries and their societies, we see the same pattern: very poor people ignored by their most affluent counterparts. 

For me the main issue that we lead today is not poverty or hunger, but indifference.

Those that are able to really make a difference won't even look that way.  In fact, they will do everything in their power to make it look as not that bad, to hide the trash under a bigger carpet.

5. msorensson profile image74
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

We want peace. It is the only space where anything can be created without repercussions, karma, if you wish. It takes a lot of selfishness to do the discipline required to be still. As a Zen master said "Be still, for only those who are themselves still can impart stillness unto others."

6. JKenny profile image92
    JKennyposted 6 years ago

Personally, I think it is our ever expanding population. Every other problem, we face today can be directly linked back to the simple fact, that there are simply too many of us on the planet.

7. PhoenixV profile image68
    PhoenixVposted 6 years ago

Not being self sufficient. We should be getting away from fossil fuels and using wind and solar by now or at least a larger percentage. Everyone should be trying to grow a little bit of their own food too.

8. toys-everywhere profile image60
    toys-everywhereposted 6 years ago

A lack of morality and integrity, I suppose. In the words of Bobby Rush, "People don't do like they used to do." We spend so much time, as a race, just thinking of what is best for us or the few we might love, rather than thinking of what are the right things to be done for the world as a whole. This might be why crime rates are rising, disease is on the Rampage, and Earth is on its way to the grave.

9. WD Curry 111 profile image60
    WD Curry 111posted 6 years ago

Fear is the root of every problem we face. Greed comes from fear. Oppression comes from fear. Bigotry comes from fear. Aggression comes from fear. Anger comes from fear. These and all other harmful issues stem from fear.

The solution also lies in fear, but a different kind. A kind that means awesome respect. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of all understanding.

10. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 6 years ago

I believe Pollution of the entire Earth needs immediate attention for all that breathe air, drink or use water, and eat food from the soil of the Earth.  More technology needs to be developed for disposable & biodegradeable containers and less toxins.  More people makes more garbage - maybe we need a higher capacity of incineration.

11. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago

Too many people...not enough food. Too much garbage, and too much waste. Too much technology and not enough technologists, too much air pollution and too many toxins in our soil. Temperatures rising, the ice is melting, the waters are rising, and soon, we'll have less land to stand on. Too much industrialization, creating more problems, poisoning the populations of their own lands, and by prevailing winds and ocean currents, ours too. Too much work to be done, yet everyone is unemployed. Too much greed and not enough compassion. Too much hate, and no understanding. Too many drugs and not enough of them. Too many laws and no freedom. Too much me, me, me. Seems you opened a can of peas here. C'ya

12. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Jobs and paying for health insurance.  Two things necessary to survive this life with any security at all - and both seem to be a dream at this time.

13. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

One underlying problem I see is a general lack of accountabilty.  It begins on a personal level with the choices we make concerning relationships, morals, and fiscal responsibility. Blaming others for one's bad decisions and expecting a fix is a sign of weakness and laziness.  "Too soon old, too late smart."

14. hoteltravel profile image70
    hoteltravelposted 6 years ago

The rich-poor divide. Whether in developed or developing countries, this divide is the root cause of many other problems. The more governments try to close this gap, the wider it is growing.

15. Bretsuki profile image77
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

Hello, I would say it is willful ignorance.

Many of us choose to be ignorant of what our effect on others is.

This is not a new phenomenon, it has plagued the human race since the dawn of time. We seek to maintain our own levels of comfort and choose to ignore the problems of others. We fear that somehow knowing about the world and it's problems will somehow make us responsible for those problems, poverty, in humanity, slavery, lack of freedoms all exist whether we choose to ignore them or not.

The problem is ignorance allows such eveils to continue. Knowledge of their existance only gives us a cause to choose to deal with the problems.

16. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

There are various issues prominent among them being terrorism, hunger, unemployment, conserving natural resources and environment pollution. But to name just one, I think, would be tackling hunger. This is a foremost issue in the underdeveloped countries and is the basic need of all human beings.

17. ArvinD_ profile image79
    ArvinD_posted 6 years ago

In simple terms i can say its poverty.
    And its still widespread because of some selfish humans desire of WHAT IF...?

18. nextstopjupiter profile image81
    nextstopjupiterposted 6 years ago

The most important issue we face on our Spaceship Earth is slavery, the slavery of the financial system. I hope that the financial mafia will collapse rather sooner than later, and then it will be possible to find solutions for all the other problems our planet is facing. http://www.freeworldcharter.org/?a=more

19. LucidWarrior profile image60
    LucidWarriorposted 6 years ago

Greed...!!

Plane and simple. When you look to the source of all major issues it usually boils down to gread. Every war, while painted as policital or religious differences, contains an element of greed. Great historians have written about it for hundreds of years. Religious conflicts usually are more about land, or power, or some other issue totally unrelated to religion. Wars are often over land, oil or other valuable resource, global expansion, control of commerce.

20. onlinedivastore profile image58
    onlinedivastoreposted 6 years ago

The leading issue that we face in today's world is greed

21. profile image0
    Emer420posted 6 years ago

I believe that the leading issue that we face in today's world is hate.  No matter where you go there is going to be someone there that doesn't like you for what you look like, how you dress, how you act, etc.  This is one of the reasons wars, and battles, and stupid arguments start.  If everyone was aloud to be whoever they wanted to be, whenever they wanted to be, I believe that there would be a lot more happiness, and a lot less hate and fighting in the world than there is today.

22. Hawkstryker profile image83
    Hawkstrykerposted 6 years ago

I'm with JKenny, the biggest problem is the expansion of our population as a race.  "Go Forth And Multiply!" That's what the human population has successfully been doing for thousands and thousands of years, expanding, exploring, migrating, conquering, utilizing, evolving, civilizing, industrializing, and now, destroying the very land upon which we live.  Resources are being used, and not just fossil fuels, if we continue to expand as we are doing there simply won't be enough food for us to survive.  Throughout history, most wars have had trade and resources at their core (leading to ideological battles) fueled by imperialistic motives.  The fewer the resources, the higher the demand.

23. profile image50
    crazyryouposted 6 years ago

I think the most important leading issue is our clean potable water supply. Without clean water to drink, we will all die.

24. Nicola Tweedie profile image78
    Nicola Tweedieposted 6 years ago

That winning and success are not as important as balance and learning to fail better!

25. kathrynsunga profile image59
    kathrynsungaposted 6 years ago

A lot of people keep making others people lives miserable. Instead of doing that, we should just help each other to have a better world. Yeah, sounds impossible but it is indeed possible.

26. profile image56
    shorty72posted 6 years ago

I think it is our children to make sure that they have a future and the ability to look after themselves. To give them the tools to have some sort of future as well.

working