What's it like to work and live in Australia?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (51 posts)
  1. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

I just received a brochure (actually it's for my deceased father) from a migration company about migrating to Australia. The brochure got my interest.

Anybody here living or is thinking of living in Australia? What is it really like there?

1. dohn121 profile image79
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My aunt invited me to go and live with her in Melbourne.  I was seriously considering it until I caught wind of the news that a literary agent wants to see my novel smile So now, I'm currently rewriting and polishing it in order for him to do so...We'll see how it goes, as my aunt's invitation is open ended.

1. starme77 profile image77
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

congrats on the novel smile

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had the privelage of working an International Field Job, and I did live in Perth for a while.  The Rents and Houses are High, LA or NYC kind of prices and the food compared to the US is a bit higher almost same and everything else was cheeper.

The People were open, would engage you in conversation, they enjoy their pranks, you will get some pulled on you.

They are good sports, with a spirited side. And unlike some places in the US they seemed to me a much more sincer people.

When they say Have a good day, they actualy mean it. Once you adapt to the language slang, ( learn about it before you try any phrases!...lol) you will be quite relaxed there. The living for me when I was there was good.

The People at work were Kind, and they would share knowledge, once they were around me a bit, and learned a bit about me. They saw I was trying to fit, and it was openly accepted. They are like any other, they want to know you first. So Just lay back, dont push to fit in, listen and ask folks about things. It will not take long to adapt.

One thing about Perth, and outlying towns, if you are sincer and easy going, you will not meet a stranger. They were good folks.

The weather is like most cities above the Deep south line in the US, they have seasons, bad and good spells, winter and summer, depending where you are. It s a big contenant, with lots of land in between the cities.

You made a good choice if you are going.

emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow good tips dutchman. I'll keep them in mind.

2. emievil profile image68

Thanks dohn. I just received a brochure from an immigration company inviting me to go there. Accountants are high in their list of in-demand jobs so it caught my interest smile

3. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Australia is a fantastic place to live! You can choose which climate you like, by choosing different major cities to be near.
    I was born in Australia and have traveled from top to bottom.
    Work is like everywhere else, but better conditions and a very humane environment is typical of many Australian jobs.

Housing and food are not cheap here near the major cities, but in outer areas accomodation gets a lot cheaper.
    What would you like to know? smile You can read a lot of facts and see all parts of Australia here.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Australian-tourist-guide

1. Philent profile image66
      Philentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Before my husband has transferred to his present company wherein they have a staff house paying only Aud25 per week; he and his colleagues were paying Aud350 per week. Converted to Php that is a huge amount.

4. emievil profile image68

*Edit* Oooopppps scratch this first question. I saw your hub smile What cities are in Southern Australia? That is what they put in the brochure.

Also, is it true that they pay couples or even residents to have a child??????? I read that as one of the benefits and I was thinking it's kind of a fantastic idea. Do you have a low population there Earnest?

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes only 25 million in a huge land like this.
      In the south of Australia you have the following capital cities.

Adelaide South Australia, Melbourne Victoria, Perth in Western Australia and Hobart in Tasmania.
      Each one of these states has hundreds of smaller towns and cities, but almost all of our population is in and around the coast.
      Yes we do pay couples to have kids! My daughter should be rich!
      Joking, they pay for one. smile

2. darkside profile image58
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the "baby bonus" is available to Australian residents.

Thanks DS.

3. Jackson Riddle profile image48
      Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You get a $5000 baby bonus or something like that I am pretty sure, which is meant to help the up bringing of that child but they can't really monitor how you choose to spend it.

5. emievil profile image68

LOL, that is quite interesting. Hmmmmmm, maybe I should get myself assessed if I can go there. My husband too smile

I may be able to offer some advice, got a boy out of China for his birth mother, and learnt a few things. especially about shonky immigration lawyers! smile
      You can email me though hubpages privately letting me know your thoughts. The people who came from your country that I know are very very happy here! smile

Hey thanks for the offer. I do have other questions and thoughts about this. I'll email you once I get them in order (might end up confusing you as they are confusing me right now) smile thanks.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Earnest , I hope the Australian Tourist Board are flicking you some commission lol seriously I thought of that a few weeks back ,all this great word of mouth info that I have imparted (like you) and someone makin big bickies ,if ya get my drift.

Time for the airlines to give back (to us) I say...wink

My sis lives just outside of Loxton,Adelaide, I miss her heaps,havent seen her since I was in Melbourne 9 yrs ago (luv it there!)

P.S What has happened to Gulliver?? havent heard about him for a couple of weeks??

Hey EK, if the airline will give back to hubbers who promote their countries, I'll be rich smile.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
            prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi emievil, morning from here! you have written a lot about our country-Philippines.....they are all nice hubs....please accept me as your fan! salamat!

Sure prettydarkhorse, my kababayans are always welcome smile.

2. Philent profile image66

Grab it emie, that is an opportunity u shouldn't pass.

Thanks Philent. Already submitted some info for the assessment. Hope they answer me smile.

1. Philent profile image66

Good luck to you dear!

thanks Philent.

6. Catherine R profile image60
    Catherine Rposted 14 years ago

I just moved here two years ago - to Melbourne.  I have lived in a few places and this one compares very favourably.  Melbourne and Sydney are always up there near the top of lists of the best places to live in the world.  Most people have a pretty good standard of living.  It is clean, organised, efficiently run, good schools, good public amenities.  Although Aussies complain about public transport I think it is pretty good.  Lots going on culturally in Melbourne too.  Many nice restaurants.  Great countryside.  Friendly people.  Love it here if you can't tell!  I also wrote a hub on Australia being the best place to live.  Only bad side to Melbourne is it is too cold in winter for my liking - and too hot in summer (we had 47 degrees last summer)  Sydney climate is a tiny bit better.  When you get to Brisbane it starts getting too humid in summer.  Think carefully about climate before you choose your area!

I agree with most of this, although I have lived in Melbourne for more than 30 years and although it does get hot, it seldom gets over 40 degrees for more than a day and we usually get cooling summer storms too. The winter is a bit cold for some, although the meam ambient temperature range is only 11.7 degrees C
      A cold night in Melbourne's winter can get down to 2 degrees C. Tasmania a little cooler.

Er, this might sound dumb but I never really realized you have winter there smile. But 2 degrees C, I think we can handle the cold smile.

7. marcofratelli profile image78
    marcofratelliposted 14 years ago

Australia is fantastic, but I'm biased. I live in Perth but am currently in Brisbane for a few months for work. Both are fantastic. I don't want to live anywhere else in the world. If you're not sure, come for a visit first if you can.

Hi marco. I would love to. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive to travel in other countries. That's why we're considering it very carefully because if and when we go there, it will be more or less permanent smile.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

social welfare in particular is at place, but taxes are higher of course. weather is different in different places?????but if you love sports and outdoor activities, australia is the place......I went to australia 2006, canberra and sydney...it is really amazing australia....love kiwis, dingo...tasmanian devil and kangaroos....

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pearldiver was hangin with the dingo's?? an he told me he'd gone fishing, naughty lil kiwi smile

lol! morning...

2. darkside profile image58

What zoo did you go to?

hi, morning! australian national zoo at canberra

1. darkside profile image58

I was wondering how you managed to see a tasmanian devil and kiwi. Now I know.

and i was able to see a dingo too, 4 of them. oh cant promote here, but I have written a piece about australia at my hubs...I enjoyed my visit there..

Starting a thread with a link in it is a big no-no. But posting a link to an informative hub during the course of the discussion is not a problem.

Link me up!

here it is http://hubpages.com/hub/Amazing-Austral … down-under
                please comment on it, i just sat down one time and i just wanted to write my expereince when i was there...I wish I could go back there some time again in the future...

Very nice.

When I get around to it I'll be publishing a Capstone hub on Australian Animals. I've published the other 15 hubs. I just need to cap it off.

ok, i will read two each a day of your hubs about animals,,, Thanks (salamat!) for your time and g'day!!

9. profile image0
    aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years ago

I live and work in Sydney. What do you want to know? I'll do my best smile

Hey aquasea, are you from Australia? or did you migrate to Australia?

1. profile image0
        aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi - I was born here.

I fanned you so that I can go back and ask you questions later smile. For now - do you know of Filipinos who are working there?

10. profile image0
    aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years ago

emieevil, there's a strong Filipino community in Sydney - I can't really speak for other capitals / States. There are Filipino cultural groups and churches etc. Definitely an established group in the community.

BTW: Do you have to fan in order to message? I didn't know that.
    Feel free to ask me any questions later.

I think there are already lots of Filipinos there. I have several friends who migrated a couple of years ago but I still have to hunt down their email addresses.

On the fanning, actually no. But it will make it easier for me to find you if I want to ask you a question smile.

11. SweetiePie profile image80
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I always thought it would be fun to spend at least a year living and working in Australia.  However, most likely I will just be lucky enough to visit one day!

Hey SweetiePie, wanna go there with me? smile

1. SweetiePie profile image80
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really wish I could, but I can barely pay for my rent and living expenses here.  My sister lost her job, so all the rent is now my responsibility sad.

Hey sorry to hear that. Hope she gets another job...and soon.

12. sannyasinman profile image61
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I've never been . . . but I know a man who has smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)