jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Do you think driving with a pet in your lap is a distraction?

1. flacoinohio profile image80
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

Do you think driving with a pet in your lap is a distraction?

Cellular texting is the newest big safe motoring issue.  Why are we not addressing pets in laps and hanging out of a drivers door window?  What about putting on make-up while driving?  How about eating a bowl of cereal or soup with a spoon.  Each of these activities are also distraction why are there no ad campaigns for other bad driving habits?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

There are a few states where it is illegal to drive with a pet on your lap. The fines are anywhere from $250.00 - $1000.00. I think it should be illegal everywhere. People no longer drive with children on their laps and yes I do think this is a distraction just as eating or putting on makeup.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Yes, Anything that distracts you from the road should be avoided. Plus 9 times out of 10 that person will have to make a stop somewhere and leave the dog in the "HOT" OR "COLD" car to suffer.

4. Joe Cook profile image59
    Joe Cookposted 5 years ago

Yes, all of the above are huge distractions. Not to mention smoking!  Here in the UK we have a real problem with oblivious unaware inconsiderate drivers. Many smoke, and text whilst driving.  I think it careless and detrimental to life.

5. Ellandriel profile image74
    Ellandrielposted 5 years ago

A dangerous one! Though other are also as dangerous campaigns go with the flow and fashion style...

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. It is a distraction and doesn't happen too often, I hope. All of those are horrible! There will always be motoring issues. The main one in my area is DWI's.

7. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately we cannot legislate "common sense". It's too bad we , as a society, have to continually deal with people who appear devoid of any common sense at all. Where has it gone?......did they misplace it somewhere? did they eat it? I don't know the answers but I do know that the numbers of adults who display a complete lack of common sense is increasing at an alarming rate!

8. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

It is a distraction to have a pet in your lap. Ideally, you should be using a pet seat belt. We did for awhile. They are are to put on dogs because they involved several buckles and just getting the belt in the right position is a time consuming process. The main reason they should be beleted in is because if you come to a short stop, they cannot put their hands up against the glove box or back seat to steady or brace themselves. The animal seat belt needs a better design. We only drive our pets to the vet, which is not far away and if we are taking more than one both my wife and I will go and I can sit in the back and hold them in place.

9. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

I did a hub "There was no sign "about people not having common sense - wrote it because 2 females fed a crocodile here and said there was no sign - There is a sign but the point is Do you really need to be told not to do something in a law before you don't do it ?
    Where is the common sense gone ??? Do we need a law saying Dont drive with a pet on your knee ? You don't know what will happen to set your dog off and cause a crash while you are driving ...
    It is scary the loss of common sense in adults everywhere .......

10. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 5 years ago

It's illegal here in Texas, having an animal unrestrained in the vehicle. But of course that doesn't stop most people who have no common sense.

Make-up and eating are just as bad, if not worse. I remember being terrified one time while my brother was driving on the interstate, I was in the backseat and my husband in the front, brother was eating a burger while flying along at about 80 and I thought I was going to die every time he looked down to get his napkin to wipe his mouth. OMG, so scary!

11. RolyRetro profile image84
    RolyRetroposted 5 years ago

Depends on the pet. I suspect a fish would be no trouble, although you may spill some of the water under braking, but a Pony would be problem.  Some other things to avoid whilst driving:

- Ironing
    - Having a tattoo done
    - Using a foot spa
    - Body piercing
    - Firearm maintenance
    - Underarm waxing
    - Guitar tuning
    - Sudoku

Other than that, its all good.

12. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 5 years ago

all of what you have mentioned is a distraction. and the reason texting and driving is so hot is because PEOPLE ARE DEAD. A recent report states that 16k people are dead, distracted by texting or cell phone calls and driving.

When there are 16k people killed by dogs tin laps, eating, putting on makeup, putting on pantyhose(!) then there will be a hue and cry about those issues.
    Texting and driving are a dangerous cocktail, as it takes as much or more concentration to text as it does to drive.

It's easy to be caught in emotion when talking on the phone, and driving emotionally distraught, is just as dangerous as driving drunk